Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2012, 08:39 PM   #1
LuvOrlando
DIS Veteran

Help finding a grant or charity- update post #24

So background is my son just started high school this year in a middle of the road sort of school with kids who fall into a huge socioeconomic range of kids. During football season I got to see some of these kids and heard comments from the kids and adults about how the pasta dinners before the game weren't just 'for fun' but because some of these kids really don't have access to food outside of free lunch. This made me sick, I know it happens in lots of places but here we are just far enough away from cities to have little social services but city enough for there to be a huge need. Since then I have been wracking my brain to try and figure out how to get food to these kids. I heard about a "Blessings in a backpack" program but discovered it only seems focused on younger kids. I have been looking and looking for something that works with high school kids with no luck. I think I could get some money to help for a little bit but my area was hit hard by the economy so I don't think I can count on any reliable stream of money from local sources to pay for something like this. Sending high risk high school kids home for the weekend with food can't be cheap but these kids are so vulnerable, I feel like I should try, no-one else seems to be even thinking about it which bothers me - but I guess they are too busy worrying about feeding themselves.

I figured, before I throw in the towel that since so many people on here work with kids I thought I would ask in case someone somewhere has heard of something that would or could work for this situation. There must be programs in high schools that do this right? I have time and could easily pull in other high school kids to do community service to help me but I really am at a loss, I've never done anything like this before but I really think it would help so many kids, anyway pointing me into any direction would be a help, there must be grants of some kind, programs somewhere that bigger businesses are willing to reach out and support social programs, our municipality seems clueless, the school budgets are strapped. If you don't want to post it then private message is great too, if you've heard of anything at all or know of a grant program I can apply to that would be helpful.

OK, thanks for reading this, hopefully some good will come of it.

Last edited by LuvOrlando; 02-26-2013 at 11:59 AM.
LuvOrlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:57 PM   #2
mamacatnv
I am the queen of straw!
Almost anything can be fixed with pasta
Do my DH's "Shorty Shorts" count?
I go in search of code!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvOrlando View Post
So background is my son just started high school this year in a middle of the road sort of school with kids who fall into a huge socioeconomic range of kids. During football season I got to see some of these kids and heard comments from the kids and adults about how the pasta dinners before the game weren't just 'for fun' but because some of these kids really don't have access to food outside of free lunch. This made me sick, I know it happens in lots of places but here we are just far enough away from cities to have little social services but city enough for there to be a huge need. Since then I have been wracking my brain to try and figure out how to get food to these kids. I heard about a "Blessings in a backpack" program but discovered it only seems focused on younger kids. I have been looking and looking for something that works with high school kids with no luck. I think I could get some money to help for a little bit but my area was hit hard by the economy so I don't think I can count on any reliable stream of money from local sources to pay for something like this. Sending high risk high school kids home for the weekend with food can't be cheap but these kids are so vulnerable, I feel like I should try, no-one else seems to be even thinking about it which bothers me - but I guess they are too busy worrying about feeding themselves.

I figured, before I throw in the towel that since so many people on here work with kids I thought I would ask in case someone somewhere has heard of something that would or could work for this situation. There must be programs in high schools that do this right? I have time and could easily pull in other high school kids to do community service to help me but I really am at a loss, I've never done anything like this before but I really think it would help so many kids, anyway pointing me into any direction would be a help, there must be grants of some kind, programs somewhere that bigger businesses are willing to reach out and support social programs, our municipality seems clueless, the school budgets are strapped. If you don't want to post it then private message is great too, if you've heard of anything at all or know of a grant program I can apply to that would be helpful.

We dealt with a very similar scenario when my DS was in high school, it broke my heart. No child in this country should be hungry, ever, it sickens me.

I have no suggestions regarding agencies. We started smaller than that.
All athletes had a before school started class for physical training. The football coach approached me and asked if I could figure out how to organize getting PB&J's for all the kids in the mornings. I worked with the local bakery/bread outlets and got some of the grocery stores to donate PB & J and the school had some emergency funds they contributed also.

Then I sat down with the phone list of all the kids involved and started calling parents to ask if they would make the sandwiches. Many offered to buy their own supplies and for those who could not buy, they offered the labor and we used our donations to give them the supplies.

We delivered hundreds of PB&J daily, the coach told me later that the kids would often come in during their morning break and grab the spares and he always made sure the ones who really needed it had spares to head home with.

It wasn't much but it was a start.
OP I wish you luck, its such a sad situation when children regardless of age are hungry, there is just something so wrong with that.
POFQ-1/1-1/9/07, ASMu-Dec 05/Jan 06 ASSp-Dec 99/Jan 00 Turn of the Century
Thanks AidensMom
mamacatnv is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-09-2012, 09:08 PM   #3
westjones
Mother of Two Disney Princesses
Boy I learn something new all the time on these boards!

Maybe you could talk to some local churches and see if they know of anything in your area that might help with this. Our church puts together grocery bags for families and gives them one each month. It isn't enough for a whole month's meal, but it helps.

I hope you are able to find some help.
westjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:16 PM   #4
StephMK
DIS Veteran

I did a quick search and it looks like there are some sources for grants - Con Agra, Kellogg, etc. but they require an established organization. I don't know how far you are willing/able to go but putting it out there.

No Kid Hungry seems to offer grants on a potentially smaller scale. The ones I looked at had places to send requests and they would contact you to complete a full application if interested.

I know there is skill needed to write grant apps successfully. My DB used to work for a food bank and has written several apps. I can ask him for advice if you are interested.

Walmart & Target have monthly donation budgets and may be willing to donate at least one month. We have gotten $25 from Walmart in the past for a school event. That would at least get you started with some supplies and maybe local business or families would be willing to help make the support grow.

Best of luck, it is heartbreaking that anyone goes hungry, especially kids. I hope you are able to get something going for them.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:25 PM   #5
TanyaS
Mouseketeer

Our local food bank, Lowcountry Food Bank, has several programs to help students get food including a Backpack Buddies program. Their website lists some of the sources of their funding.

Are there any charitable organizations in your area addressing hunger? Soup kitchens, Churches, Junior League, etc.? If so, I'd start by talking with them about potentially helping the high school kids with additional food.

Good luck with this!
TanyaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:31 PM   #6
Hrhpd
DIS Veteran

Quote:

First thing is to contact your school guidance office. Many times, in a depressed area, one of the guidance counselors acts as a family resource officer. They would have the best inside knowledge of resources available.

Do you have FBLA or DECA in your school? Using their organization, perhaps one of the students can make your goal one of their projects.
Hrhpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:11 AM   #7
LuvOrlando
DIS Veteran

Thank you all for giving me some leads. I will look into all of them starting today. It seems like a mountain in front of me but so much is on the line I need to try anyway. I will report back how things go from here.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:52 AM   #8
LuvOrlando
DIS Veteran

I had to get the kids on the bus then came back for a more detailed response

Mamacatnv, I think there is something in place for breakfast at the schools in our district which is fortunate, but around here after school seems to be the problem, dinner and weekends seem to be unadressed. We do have some bakery outlets and I know the district manager for one of the local centers so I will call him and see what they can do. Hundreds of PB& J is sort of what I am thinking would be a reasonable approach.

Westjones, that is a good idea, they probably have some good connections in the area with similarly minded organizations.

StephMK, I will start researching those organizations later today. I am on the PTO so I suppose I could see about using their established nature to give this credibility if thatís what the organizations want. I will have to ask and see.

TanyaS, from what I can tell our food banks are stretched to capacity. They may be able to offer some support but they donít have any leftover money or anything so I know if I ask they it would only sour any chance at them giving me help. Itís a sad state of things. I come from a city where pockets are deep and the poor are well supported. In rural areas the land provides what people need to survive but here in the suburbs things are very different. Itís like being in the middle of nowhere for the poor here because poverty seems so far away, it isnít but its hidden by the grass and lack of graffiti but its here all the same..

Hrhpd, I was going to call the principal once I had some ideas lined up since I need his OK to do anything in his building but going to him and the guidance office first could be better. Maybe they do have some things in mind but simply do not have the hands to do it. I could be those hands. Also, I already spoke with my 2 kids, son a freshman and daughter on her way in next year, and they will be happy to work together on this as a project., and will hopefully draw in other teens to help.

I really hope I can pull something together, itís an intimidating task
Old 12-10-2012, 06:38 PM   #9
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other

Island Harvest is a well respected organization on Long Island.
http://www.islandharvest.org/intro.aspx

Contact them. I'm sure they'll be able to point you in the right direction.

I've been BOO'ed by pigletgirl!
numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)
Aliceacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:21 AM   #10
LuvOrlando
DIS Veteran

update

The principal asked for a meeting with me next month and said he is interested. I am thrilled, its a good sign that he didn't shut me down, which he easily could have done considering everything on his plate right now. I really hope things can get off the ground, so many kids need help - thanks for the ideas, I need to keep looking for things that may work here
Old 01-23-2013, 11:27 AM   #11
HM
A tag from the TF is better than a personalized licence plate

Great news! I hope he's actually receptive and helpful.
HM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:34 AM   #12
disneymarie
Its a rumour about the donuts...
Can we play Nancy Drew?

Quote:

Commission on economic opportunity. After school dinner programs. If you have a group, or the school an after school program they bring he meals, hot, cold etc to you to disperse. My family has volunteered to help serve.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:48 AM   #13
LuvOrlando
DIS Veteran

I am sorry but I don't understand. Is this a federal program of some kind? I am hopelessly unfamiliar but very much desire to figure it all out.

as far as I know our particular area has nothing of the kind at the moment.

At first I only saw stuff about fuel but I see it now, is this a hard program to navigate? It looks like its only in NY, I am in Pennsylvania

Last edited by LuvOrlando; 01-23-2013 at 12:02 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:24 PM   #14
WDSearcher
DIS Veteran

Do you have a Boys & Girls Club in your area? They can be a big help.

WDSearcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:47 AM   #15
LuvOrlando
DIS Veteran

Once I talk to the principal I will go look for the Girls and Boys club too, we do have one but it is very small and likely struggling.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: