Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts > Disney Discount Codes and Rates
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2012, 09:45 AM   #16
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

I guess that my family is the minority here. We know that we are going to go to Disney every Summer and I save up all year long for the trip so that we can go even if there are no discounts. Having said that, I do keep my fingers crossed that something comes out that we can take advantage of. So far, we've been in luck for the last 8 trips (when we started staying onsite) and used Disney's special offers. I have never received a pin code in all of our 17 trips and it's probably because Disney knows were coming with or without one.

We do take shorter trips to other destinations one or two times a year and, broken down by the day, while Disney is more expensive, we don't get the most "bang for our buck" at the other places.

Just last week, I did a ton of research on various other options for our annual vacation and, after putting pencil to paper, I realized that Disney vacations really aren't that expensive when compared to the price of the other places.

So, will we or do we book without a discount? Yes. Do we hope for a discount or special offer? Yes. Does a discount make a difference on whether or not we go to Disney? No.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

mickeystoontown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:53 AM   #17
amos07
Mouseketeer

I am in the minority too. We will go with or without a discount it just will change where we stay. With a discount we stay deluxe but if there isn't a discount we will drop to a moderate.
Register to remove

Old 12-10-2012, 10:55 AM   #18
Abharmagic
DIS Veteran

ME! Too many amazing deals offsite if WDW wants to charge full price.
April 2013
Next Trip- Labor Day 2014- SeaWorld- Aquatica- Legoland- MNSSHP- Can't wait!
Abharmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:31 PM   #19
Go Vols
Go Vols

We will never book without a discount. Disney resorts are not and will never be worth rack rate.
Go Vols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:21 PM   #20
tinkermommyof3
DIS Veteran

Booked room I wanted at rack rate. Booked airfare with SW on November 19th for my dates of travel. Will wait patiently to see if any discount or code comes my way. For the past few years, Summer discounts have been offered in the Spring.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:36 PM   #21
ThreeTinks
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post

Just last week, I did a ton of research on various other options for our annual vacation and, after putting pencil to paper, I realized that Disney vacations really aren't that expensive when compared to the price of the other places.

So, will we or do we book without a discount? Yes. Do we hope for a discount or special offer? Yes. Does a discount make a difference on whether or not we go to Disney? No.
Ditto. Pricing out other vacations in most cases showed to be MORE expensive than Disney. And less "stuff" than you get with a Disney package. We have taken 5 trips and have always had a discount - 20%-45% to kids totally free (now that PIN rocked) to free dining. We are going in May regardless and staying onsite, to me that is what makes the trip, I just would not have as much fun staying offsite.
ThreeTinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:42 PM   #22
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeTinks View Post
Ditto. Pricing out other vacations in most cases showed to be MORE expensive than Disney. And less "stuff" than you get with a Disney package. We have taken 5 trips and have always had a discount - 20%-45% to kids totally free (now that PIN rocked) to free dining. We are going in May regardless and staying onsite, to me that is what makes the trip, I just would not have as much fun staying offsite.
I priced out quite a few different places and it was going to be expensive. And, like you, we felt there wasn't as much "stuff" included in those vacations.

We used to stay offsite and were, for the most part, happy with staying offsite. Once we stayed onsite though, there was no turning back for us. We realized just how inconvenient it was to stay offsite and that the convenience was more than worth what extra money we saved to stay elsewhere.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

mickeystoontown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:43 PM   #23
Rosanne
DIS Veteran

It would depend on the season. If it was a cheaper season I'd be more likely to go with a discount but might still go without. I'm looking into late March this year and I couldn't enjoy myself knowing I'd spent so much at rack rate so I would wait until it was a price I felt better about.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:06 PM   #24
sunsetbeachgal
DIS Veteran

I just booked Value resort at rack rate for our mid-June trip (we need two rooms)...if a discount in announced may go up to moderate...hate to book rack rate, but also much prefer staying on site...

Family Reunion trip at Disney ASMu Nov. 7-13, 2010. It was perfect

March, 2012 Disney getaway at Coronado Springs for the adults only!

October, 2012 went to Disneyland..and I've never seen such crowds anywhere in my life!

June 15-22, 2013. Family trip to WDW at POFQ First WDW Summer trip and it was fantastic!

March, 2014. Universal Studios and cruise on Freedom of the Seas
sunsetbeachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:36 PM   #25
bigbabyblues
DIS Veteran

We are also in the minority. We haven't been to WDW since 2010, we know our dates, and we want to stay at CBR. We have budgeted for rack rate; if a discount comes out, we'll gladly take it, but the trip doesn't depend on it. We wouldn't stay offsite ever, but we're fine with the value resorts if the budget would have to be cut.

ETA: there is nothing wrong with staying offsite, it just isn't something we would want to do

Last edited by bigbabyblues; 12-10-2012 at 04:44 PM.
bigbabyblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:02 PM   #26
bk0308
Earning My Ears

We will be going in April with or without a discount. One would be nice, but since this is my 1st time, Im just now finding out that they even offer discounts. I'll keep my fingers crossed and any discounts will be a bonus
bk0308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:03 AM   #27
aubriee
Chocolate always makes things better

As an AP holder I go to WDW several times a year, but no way would I ever go without a discount.

For our recent Oct 27th-Nov 4th trip we had CBR booked with an AP discount, but a coworker offered me a last minute deal for a one bedroom time share one mile outside the WDW gates. With the transfer fee it was $450.00 for a one bedroom, fully equipped condo. My AP discount could not beat that, so we canceled the WDW ressie and stayed off site for the first time. We enjoyed it so much, that I started looking for other off site options. For my upcoming May trip I booked through a third party and got a one bedroom at Bonnet Creek for $895.00 for ten nights/eleven days ($89.50/night). I usually use an AP or a bounce back discount to book our WDW, but it looks like Bonnet Creek may be getting our business for now on. Even with a discount, Disney can beat their prices. As far as paying rack rate for a WDW hotel, no way!

Last edited by aubriee; 12-12-2012 at 02:13 AM.
aubriee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:09 AM   #28
Liberator
Mouseketeer

Won't stay deluxe or moderate withouth a discount, too expensive for just 5 or 6 days

Even with a discount the price for a few days is still higher than the flights from Germany to Orlando and back.
Liberator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:49 AM   #29
ocalla
DIS Veteran

We will go too, no matter what. Would LOVE a discount, but if not then we will either go for fewer days, or stay at a moderate.

I too have priced out Condo's on the beach for a week , couldn't believe the price.................for the beach!!!

for now, I'll stick to Disney.
90-Honeymoon Offsite 92-offsite 93-CBR 96 - CBR 97-DXL 2000-ASMo 2000-CBR 2001-Courtyard/DD 2004-Grosvenor 07/10-YC 05/11-BC - CL 05/12 BC 06/13 CSR 07/13 - BC/Poly split 02/14-WL 08/14 - POR/Universal
Me DH DD22 DD17 Maud Marie

ocalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:00 PM   #30
kristenm514
Mouseketeer

I will not pay full price, either. I am already looking at moving what I'd hoped to be a Christmastime trip to August, since it's cheaper, and probably wouldn't even do that without some kind of discount. It is obvious that Disney inflates rack rates beyond a reasonable amount, so that they can "offer discounts" pretty much all of the time...however, it seems those discounts are getting to be less and less, meaning all that's left is the overinflated rates. I am wondering if there really are that many people willing to pay rack rates, or if they'll soon hit the tipping point where even devoted customers will be priced out and they will lose money. We'll see.
kristenm514 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: