DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Member Services
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2012, 04:16 PM   #1
PE_TCR
Disney Cruise Adict

Advice about renting/transfering

My wife and I are new DVC members. We have 160 points and that is just about right for us for what we are looking for. However, my family wants to come down with us in Feb 2014. The problem is we will need about 150 more points that we will have available. How should I go about renting or transfering points? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
1996 All-Star Sports, 1997 All-Star Sports, 2000 Shades of Green, 2002 All-Star Sports, 2004 off site, 2008 All-Star Movies, 2009 Caribbean Beach and Wonder, 2009-10 All-Star Music,(Christmas-New Year Cruise) Magic and All-Star Movies, Alaska Cruise (Wonder) 2011, All-Star Movies 2012, Podcast Cruise 3.0 2012 Dream, 2013 Animal Kingdom Lodge (Jambo House) DVC, Tower od Terror 10 Miler (All Star Sports), 2014 Marathon Weekend (Animal Kingdom Lodge - Kidani Village), Animal Kingimdom (Jambo House) - Magic - Art of Anamation
PE_TCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:38 PM   #2
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Just a very basic question before you think about renting or transferring such a large number of points...can you borrow from your next Use Year?

If not, and this is just me, I honestly would tell family that I cannot do it this year. We have, so far, invited extended family with us for all of our WDW trips, but we don't have the points to have them with us the WHOLE time (and they work anyway, and are semi-local, so they don't mind a shorter stay), and once we run out of points to bank and borrow (this trip in Feb is it for awhile!) we're not going to rent or transfer. It's one thing to use the points you already have...it's another thing in our opinion to put money out of pocket to use in that way.

But that's just us.

Anyway, make sure you can't borrow from the next year in your own account to make up the difference before thinking of those things.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-09-2012, 05:59 PM   #3
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Just go into the Rent Boards and see if anyone's willing to transfer that amount of points to you for the price you want. Get on a 3-way call w/MS and get the points transferred.

It's pretty easy, but it takes trust.

Your transferred points won't show up in your online account but it will show up in MS' computer. Make sure you use those points first when doing a reservation.
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:12 PM   #4
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by PE_TCR View Post
My wife and I are new DVC members. We have 160 points and that is just about right for us for what we are looking for. However, my family wants to come down with us in Feb 2014. The problem is we will need about 150 more points that we will have available. How should I go about renting or transfering points? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
I think the idea of "bringing the family" and sharing the joy comes with new ownership. Until you see what it is going to cost you pointwise and then you think maybe they should pay for their own lodging. Or they burn you when you can't bank the points/cancel the villa/get a smaller villa/don't stay where THEY want to stay.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:21 AM   #5
zavandor
DIS Veteran

Also, some broker also can arrange a transfer of points.
The timeshare store (the sponsor of this board) does it. I've read that they keep your money in escrow until you have a confirmation from MS that the points have been transfered, so it's a very safe option to do so. I think they change 12$, not much more than you can find on the rent board.
I'm not 100% sure, but probably also David's rental does the same (the sponsor of the rental board).

If you transfer points, try to get the same UY of your contracts. In this case the points will show online in your account and you'll be able to use them to book online. Otherwise only MS can see them and you need to call to make a reservation.

Also, many report that the booking system has problems with transferred points. They may get lost and it might take time to recover them. Make sure to keep a record of all your points.
zavandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:51 PM   #6
PE_TCR
Disney Cruise Adict

My family wants to pay for the transfer of the points and doesn't want me to use my points. Looking at our group if would be cheaper to get 2 - 2 bedroom villas at Animal Kingdom instead of getting 5 cramped rooms at an All-Star resort. I am looking at a trip costing about 200 points. I would use 50 for my part and the rest of the family would pay me for getting another 150 points. If I wern't using any of my points I woudl do a basic rental but I figure a transfer will work best if I am using some of my own points as well.
1996 All-Star Sports, 1997 All-Star Sports, 2000 Shades of Green, 2002 All-Star Sports, 2004 off site, 2008 All-Star Movies, 2009 Caribbean Beach and Wonder, 2009-10 All-Star Music,(Christmas-New Year Cruise) Magic and All-Star Movies, Alaska Cruise (Wonder) 2011, All-Star Movies 2012, Podcast Cruise 3.0 2012 Dream, 2013 Animal Kingdom Lodge (Jambo House) DVC, Tower od Terror 10 Miler (All Star Sports), 2014 Marathon Weekend (Animal Kingdom Lodge - Kidani Village), Animal Kingimdom (Jambo House) - Magic - Art of Anamation
Old 12-10-2012, 03:12 PM   #7
myxdvz
DVC - BLT

I think you should let your family pay for the points and then borrow from next year. Then if you're vacationing next year, use that cash to rent.
Dec 2006 - X DLR / May 2010 - XY WDW, ASMo / March 2011 - XYZ DVC/DCL (AKV, Dream, OKW, Hilton) / Jan 2012 - XYZ DLR, PPH, VGC / June 2013 - WXYZ WDW, BCV/BWV / Oct 2013 - HKDL / Nov 2013 - WXYZ WDW/BLT/WBC, DCL/Magic / Mar 2014 WDW/OKW /
June 2014 HHI

myxdvz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:51 PM   #8
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by PE_TCR View Post
My family wants to pay for the transfer of the points and doesn't want me to use my points. Looking at our group if would be cheaper to get 2 - 2 bedroom villas at Animal Kingdom instead of getting 5 cramped rooms at an All-Star resort. I am looking at a trip costing about 200 points. I would use 50 for my part and the rest of the family would pay me for getting another 150 points. If I wern't using any of my points I woudl do a basic rental but I figure a transfer will work best if I am using some of my own points as well.
You're getting two two-bedroom villas for 200 points? You must be looking at value two bedrooms for three nights only?? 2014 points are not out yet that I have seen, so it could be more or less based on what they decide for the points. Value villa for Sun through Thru in early Feb is 30 points per night. Fri/Sat is 35 points per night. For the second half of February it goes up to 33 and 39.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:28 PM   #9
PE_TCR
Disney Cruise Adict

That's what is is. 2 nights before a cruise and 1 night after. We have our points used for this year and next year so I only have 158 available to borrow and I do need 200. I know points can change but I am thinking this is about what it will be. If it's more I can always adjust. This is my parent's present to the "kids" for last year, this year, and next year for Christmas. Last year they covered flights, this and next year they are covering the cruise. All the kids have to pay is the room and park tickets. Just priced things and points at $11-12 per point is the best way to go for us.
On a personal note I would rather have everyone pay my dad for the points and he takes care of the money end rather than they pay me and I use my points. That just lends itself to people thinking they are being taken advantage of and I am just suggesting this to "make money". I am the Disney one of the family. They haven't been there in over 20 years.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: