Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2012, 05:11 PM   #1
PoohsFan1
DIS Veteran

The "little things" that shouldn't be missed....

As some of you know by now, we are taking our first ever trip to DLR in June. I am looking for input on the "Little Things" that DLR has that we may overlook but shouldn't. It could be in the resorts, parks, DTD, wherever on Disney property (little hidden nooks and crannies or an old phone where you can hear a recording of people talking on). Obviously I am not looking for the must dos as in the rides, WOC, Fantasmic, etc since I have been reading up on all of those. I am more looking for little "hidden" magic that only the Disneyfanatics would know about when visiting DLR. I want to make a list of these things and surprise my kids with some of them. My DD9 has a book all about the Hidden Magic in WDW, however I haven't seemed to come across something like that for DLR, so I thought I would ask the experts. Thank you for your help .

PoohsFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:18 PM   #2
CheshireGato
DIS Veteran

Make sure you stop at the Wishing Well and have your family make wishes (money thrown in goes to charities) on the side of the castle. I didn't notice it for years, and it usually isn't crowded, unless of course there is a princess hiding over there.
1995 Spring 2001 Summer 2003 (WDW) June 2006 Oct 2009 May 2011 June 2012 November 2012 (solo) October 2014
CheshireGato is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-09-2012, 06:21 PM   #3
Keurigirl
let's all sing like the birdies sing

See Billy Hill & the Hillbillies at the Golden Horseshoe!
Disney Cruises: W. Caribbean 3/12, Alaska 8/12, W. Caribbean 4/13, Alaska 8/13, Transatlantic 5/14, Alaska 8/14 next trip: Alaska 8/15
Keurigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:37 PM   #4
heather_sue_98
Mouseketeer

Musical Chairs with Alice and Friends. Used to be at Coke Corner at 2:30, but I'm not sure with the construction around there.

Get a Dole Whip.

On our next trip, we are going to make sure to do the "Kitchen Sink" dessert at PCH.

Watch for photographers standing around but not taking any pictures. Ask them if they are waiting for someone to come out. Often they can tell you where a character is coming from, and if you catch them on the way over to their meet, they will hold your child's hand as they walk over. Super cute pictures.

Someone who has been recently, are Mickey and Minnie still back by Big Thunder Mountain Ranch? If so, it's a great picture op with both of them together and no line. Also there's a petting zoo back there.

My kids, 3 and 6, love the little play area by Goofy's house in ToonTown.

I'll keep thinking... I love the little things!
heather_sue_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:45 PM   #5
Nonsuch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheshireGato View Post
Make sure you stop at the Wishing Well and have your family make wishes (money thrown in goes to charities) on the side of the castle. I didn't notice it for years...
I didn't noticed the adjacent Snow White Grotto, and even asked a friend when it was added
Old 12-09-2012, 07:41 PM   #6
KCmike
Never have fallen asleep on any attraction
Nothing wrong for dreaming for sure

Billy Hill and the Hillbillies
Ride in the Lilly Belle train car
Canoes on the Rivers of America
Sleeping Beauty Castle Walkthrough
Disneyland Hotel has old photographs of celebrities/famous presidents and Walt just off the lobby area
Great Moments w/ Mr Lincoln has old photos and props from years gone by
Nice little spot in New Orleans called Court of Angels (wonderful quiet spot)
Don't miss the Animation Building (go in deeper to see Belle's library and other things)
You can still ride in the front part of the monorail at Disneyland
ASIMO Robot in Innoventions
Get drivers license at Autotopia
I know you said no more ride info but don't miss Storybook Canal Boat ride (overlooked all the time) and Casey Jr circus train
Snow White Adventure in Fantasyland -- if you touch the brass apple that is at the entrance to the attraction there will be a loud clap of thunder and the witch will cackle with laughter
Grand Californian has two awesome outdoor areas (go up to the top floor and find a huge outdoor patio) (next just on the other side of the fireplace is an outdoor fireplace and huge sitting area which is great for relaxing)
At New Orleans train station The Morse code that guests can hear being tapped out at the train station is actually Walt Disney's opening day speech!
Checkout Hungry Bear Restuarant's downtown seating area for great views of the Mark Twain and Columbia Sailing Ship

I will try to think of more.
2014 Boston/Cape Cod/Martha's Vineyard
2013 Disneyland Christmas
2013 WDW, Universal, and SeaWorld with the kids and their High School Marching Band Event
2012 Back to Disneyland for a late June/Early July Vacation|2011- WDW Grand Floridian/Port Orleans Riverside |2010 - Disneyland/Monterey 20th Anniversary Day trip and 1st time to see Christmas at any park (BWPPI) 2010 - Disneyland (Grand Californian) |2009 - Disneyland/San Francisco/Monterey/ Yosemite National Park (Disneyland Hotel) |2008 - Disneyland/San Diego (Hotel Del Coronado & Hojo) |2007 - Disneyland (Fairfield Inn) |2006 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |2004 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |1996 - WDW - Dixie Landings |1993 - WDW - Offsite |1992 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee |1990 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee

Gear:Canon 60d, Canon xti, and a few lenses
KCmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:08 PM   #7
PoohsFan1
DIS Veteran

Oh my, you guys are the best!!! Thank you so much for all the "little things" that I knew we would over look while we are there. Please keep them coming because I would love to hear more .

PoohsFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:32 PM   #8
Butterfly123
DIS Veteran

Look for the light on in the window of Walt's apartment over the firehouse on Main St.

When standing in line for Peter Pan, look across the way for Snow White's wicked stepmother in the window over the ride parting the drapes and peering out the window.

DCA...Carsland...check out the signal light. Every third light is longer...just like in the movie!

Disneyland: 1969, 1974, 1982, 1985, 1990, July 2001, April 2003, April 2004, April 2005, April 2006, April 2007, April 2008, April 2009, June 2011, July 2012, June 2013. Next visit summer 2015!

Last edited by Butterfly123; 12-09-2012 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Adding info.
Butterfly123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:57 PM   #9
DisneytheKid
A bad attempt at Billy the Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keurigirl View Post
See Billy Hill & the Hillbillies at the Golden Horseshoe!
I second this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCmike View Post
Billy Hill and the Hillbillies
Ride in the Lilly Belle train car
Canoes on the Rivers of America
Sleeping Beauty Castle Walkthrough
Disneyland Hotel has old photographs of celebrities/famous presidents and Walt just off the lobby area
Great Moments w/ Mr Lincoln has old photos and props from years gone by
Nice little spot in New Orleans called Court of Angels (wonderful quiet spot)
Don't miss the Animation Building (go in deeper to see Belle's library and other things)
You can still ride in the front part of the monorail at Disneyland
ASIMO Robot in Innoventions
Get drivers license at Autotopia
I know you said no more ride info but don't miss Storybook Canal Boat ride (overlooked all the time) and Casey Jr circus train
Snow White Adventure in Fantasyland -- if you touch the brass apple that is at the entrance to the attraction there will be a loud clap of thunder and the witch will cackle with laughter
Grand Californian has two awesome outdoor areas (go up to the top floor and find a huge outdoor patio) (next just on the other side of the fireplace is an outdoor fireplace and huge sitting area which is great for relaxing)
At New Orleans train station The Morse code that guests can hear being tapped out at the train station is actually Walt Disney's opening day speech!
Checkout Hungry Bear Restuarant's downtown seating area for great views of the Mark Twain and Columbia Sailing Ship

I will try to think of more.
Wow! Great list
Countless times during the 80's and 90's
DisneytheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:12 PM   #10
scrapbunny
Mouseketeer

These are so fun! I wanted to find some fun things to look for on our next trip and found this site http://findingmickey.squarespace.com/ There are a ton of cool Disneyland secrets and tips
scrapbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:21 PM   #11
wbl2745
I've gone over to the Silly Symphony Swings to "spin dry."

Some details about riding in the Lille Bell and with the engineer. You should talk to the CM at the Main Street Station and see if it is possible to this that day. Earlier in the day is better. You'll have to ride all the way around since you can't get off in the middle.

Also, try to ride either in the nose or the tail of the monorail. Again, talk to the CM. Try to do this in less crowded times since you might end up waiting a while.

Pay attention to sounds coming from the second floor windows on Main Street. I think there's a dentist and some others.

Check out the Magic Shop on Main Street. The sales people in there demonstrate the magic tricks. In the window of the shop is a spinning swirly thing. Read the directions, which tell you to stare at the spinning thing and then look at your hand. Your kids will love it.

This may not be working at this time, but notice and listen to the seagulls in the submarine lagoon. "Mine, mine, mine!"

From the petrified tree stump in Frontierland, look toward New Orleans Square. Notice that you can see the tops of sailing ships. You might have to move around some trees which have gotten big over the years. The sailing ships are in the "harbor" of Pirates of the Caribbean.

In the line for the Haunted Mansion, be sure to read the epitaphs on the tomb stones. They can be very funny. Many just walk on by.

If you're in line for Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, listen to the sounds coming from the town.

Ok, in California Adventure...

Many of the artifacts in the Tower of Terror are from the Twilight Zone show. In the lobby, where you first enter the building, the doll sitting on the couch is a real Shirley Temple doll. Notice in the video introduction that the little girl is carrying the doll. I believe the book next to the doll is a first edition Wizard of Oz. There are two lines after the library scene, one goes up stairs. At one point in that upstairs line you walk by a concrete wall with a chalk circle on it. Listen, some times you can hear a little girl. On the ground floor is a radio that is mostly static, but every now and then you can hear a voice. Both of these are from a Twilight Zone episode.

On Buena Vista Street in the candy shop is the Big Rock Candy Mountain. Originally something like this was intended as an attraction at Disneyland in the place that Storybook Land occupies now. If you go inside, go to the corner away from the door, bend over and look through the hole in the side of the mountain you may be able to see a yeti with a Mickey Mouse hat. It's hard to see. You might need to bob around a little to get it just right.

The Red Trolly seems like it might be a little dumpy, but it is fun to hear about the story around the buildings you go past.

Just as you enter California Adventure, on the right side is a fruit stand. Look up at the building and find some mice in the frieze. Not, Mickeys, just mice. I guess they are the first "hidden" Mickeys.

In general looking up is the right thing to do, in stores, along streets. A lot of gags are to be found.

At Clarabell's Ice Cream, you can get a ice cream bar where you pick the flavor of the coating and of the sprinkles. They make it for you right there.

If you go into the Grand Californian, in the lobby on the right side as you face the main door, there's a grandfather clock. There's a hidden Mickey that usually only children can see. The face of the clock is hammered copper (I think...). You have to be about 1/2 adult size to look up at the face to see the Mickey.

If you want a quiet place for lunch, Storytellers Cafe in the Grand Californian is nice. A little pricey. Take the exit from California Adventure across from Grizzly River Rapids and you're right there.

Hope you have a good time!

DVC Member since February 24, 2010
wbl2745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:28 PM   #12
wbl2745
I've gone over to the Silly Symphony Swings to "spin dry."

I went back and noticed that a poster had suggested the downstairs area at the Hungry Bear. Walk as far as you can. The seating area will stop and there's a pathway. You might be lucky and see some of the Disneyland feral cats. They actually encourage the cats to keep the vermin down in this part of the park. I think there's a feeding station near there since I've seen the cats there a couple of times, but not always.

A missed attraction are the canoes. There isn't a big sign and you can walk right past it. Try to get there early, even before the canoe ride opens if you can determine when that might be. It is a lot of fun. You're right down on the water.

Again, have fun!

DVC Member since February 24, 2010
wbl2745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:54 PM   #13
DharmaLou
Once a Princess, Always a Princess

Keep your eyes open for some of the famous Disney cats - they come out at night.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:03 PM   #14
CheshireGato
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbl2745 View Post

Many of the artifacts in the Tower of Terror are from the Twilight Zone show. In the lobby, where you first enter the building, the doll sitting on the couch is a real Shirley Temple doll. Notice in the video introduction that the little girl is carrying the doll. I believe the book next to the doll is a first edition Wizard of Oz. There are two lines after the library scene, one goes up stairs. At one point in that upstairs line you walk by a concrete wall with a chalk circle on it. Listen, some times you can hear a little girl. On the ground floor is a radio that is mostly static, but every now and then you can hear a voice. Both of these are from a Twilight Zone episode.
I love waiting for this ride since I am a HUGE Twilight Zone fan! In the room where you watch the video, look at some of the things on the shelves, I've spotted the fortune teller from the William Shatner episode where he is convinced the little machine predicts the future, SO COOL!
1995 Spring 2001 Summer 2003 (WDW) June 2006 Oct 2009 May 2011 June 2012 November 2012 (solo) October 2014
CheshireGato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:08 PM   #15
disneyobsessed808
DIS Veteran

Billy Hill is my favorite tip so far, as it is one of Disneyland's gems!

Here are just a few more.

Pick up the phones in the market house and listen to the party line. (These are still there right?)

Trader Sams bar at the Disneyland hotel grounds is awesome and filled with lots of treasures, sight gags, and props. Order a Krakatoa!

Take a rest in the lobby of the Grand Californian and enjoy the fireplace.

Lots of gags in the DownTown area of Toontown that are lots of fun!

Tokyo Disney Resort May 2009, Nov 2012 Check out my Nov 2012 Tokyo Trip Report
Disneyland Resort May 2000 (Disneyland Hotel), Jan 2001, Mar 2004, Oct 2005, Nov 2006, Annual Passholder since 2007
Walt Disney World 1987 (I was 2) Mar 1997, Jul 2002 (All Star Movies), May 2007 (Pop Century)
disneyobsessed808 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: