Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2012, 08:35 AM   #91
Pipkin
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo4x4 View Post
Didn't ever do that with either of ours. Just recently started to leave the 12 year old in the car in charge of the 7 year old under those circumstances. Still won't for a trip inside where they'd be out of view.
Wow, where do you live? I was babysitting at 12.
Pipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:27 AM   #92
Disneychix
Is it summer yet?

I guess I'm a 'terrible' mom. I leave my youngest almost everyday in the car (turned off, no keys, doors locked) while I walk my oldest up the LONG sidewalk that leads to his school. And-I do this 2x per day-In and Out!
1. I'm in a school zone so the speed limit is 10mph and I'm not really concerned with someone hitting my car parked along the side of the road.
2. It's a school zone and the only people that are there are dropping off their own kids and most likely wouldn't want to go home with any 'extras'.
3. There are a lot of people around and it would be very very obvious if someone was trying to break into my car.

If we walk to school I also leave him in his stroller right outside the door (windowed) when I have to go sign out the oldest. There is no stroller ramp and for the 25 seconds it takes to sign my initials and collect my son I really can't see unstrapping the baby and carrying him in and out. If you know what it's like to get a toddler into/out of a stroller you'd agree with this.

Also, to the PP who said she used to let her sleeping kids stay sleeping in the driveway-I do this too! With my older one though, not the baby. I only get scared that he'll wake up and be scared-not that he will get hurt or anything. I crack the windows or leave the door open and only do this during the day. I keep my eye on him too. I'm not a complete loon!

"You ain't never had a friend like MEEEEEE"

May 2010 TR-39th B-Day full of surprises!

Come read my December 2009 TR!!
Disneychix is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-11-2012, 10:11 AM   #93
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipkin View Post
Wow, where do you live? I was babysitting at 12.
Mine juuuuuust turned 12 and it's a little different with siblings that grew up as "equals" than with someone else's kids. Oldest is allowed to stay home alone. We won't let her watch her sister 'til next year.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:44 AM   #94
PatsGirl
Kids will write the darndest things
I'm a fan of the Red Sox and anyone who beats the Yankees
I can't believe my parents lived through my shenanigans

I did it often when my kids were too small to get out of their carseats by themselves so long as I could see the car. I haven't read all the replies but so many people commented about the cars and/or kids being stolen, why wouldn't you lock the car, I always did My usual places were Cumbies for milk, the local chinese take out, those kinds of places...I certainly didn't do my weekly shopping or anything like that.

But, once they were old enough to get themselves out of their seats and up until they were probably 10 years old, I didn't trust them to stay put for any length of time so I either left them at home or brought them into the store/market with me.
Last night my sister and I were sitting in the den and I said to her, "I never want to live in a vegetative state, dependent on some machine and fluids from a bottle to keep me alive. That would be no quality of life at all. If that ever happens, just pull the plug!" So she got up, unplugged the computer, and threw out my wine.

Brenda , Ed :Jacob 24 Alexandra 17 and two steps ~ Shawn 25 Nichole 24

SO turned husband March 2013

Next up ~ Halloween Horror Nights 2013 at Universal

F&W/FD for September 2012 with DD and SO who's a Disney virgin...this could be a dealbreaker

Celebrated my 50th with DD at Disneyland April 2011
PatsGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:39 PM   #95
marcyinPA
I'll never forget the strong, pungent smell of Noxema!
I was such a fashion disaster!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by minniebride View Post
Today when I was shopping, I saw a woman run into the pizza place we were eating at to pick up take out. She was parked right up front, steps from the store. I noticed her child still buckled in the carseat in the car-the child was sleeping. The lady was gone from her car all of 5 minutes to pick up her food.

I am a new mom and I am so paranoid about leaving my baby even for a minute so I can use the bathroom & I bring my video monitor with me!!

Is it typical for people to do what this mom did?
NEVER. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER. If you can't take the baby/child out of the car with you, then don't go. Period.
6/08- We're Cruisin' (NCL
Spirit) for my BIG 4-0!,
6/09- WL (celebrating my birthday with Mickey!)
,2/11- POP
marcyinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:01 PM   #96
BCDisneyFanatic
DIS Veteran

My DD11 and DD14 can stay in the car alone whenever they don't want to come into the shops with me, and I certainly don't have any qualms about it. They are responsible, mature kids who know better than to mess with the car's controls, and would be perfectly able to scream bloody murder should someone try to break in/steal the car. I also let each of them walk alone to and from school (about a mile) along busy roads. I will say, though, that we live in a 'safe' community with little crime of any sort.

When my kids were small, I certainly left them in the car when paying for gas, running quickly into a convenience store, or returning my shopping cart. I would be interested in seeing statistics of children injured while walking through parking lots with their mothers vs. being harmed in a car jacking. I suspect the relative risks would be very eye-opening.
BCDisneyFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:04 PM   #97
marcyinPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDisneyFanatic View Post
My DD11 and DD14 can stay in the car alone whenever they don't want to come into the shops with me, and I certainly don't have any qualms about it. They are responsible, mature kids who know better than to mess with the car's controls, and would be perfectly able to scream bloody murder should someone try to break in/steal the car. I also let each of them walk alone to and from school (about a mile) along busy roads. I will say, though, that we live in a 'safe' community with little crime of any sort.

When my kids were small, I certainly left them in the car when paying for gas, running quickly into a convenience store, or returning my shopping cart. I would be interested in seeing statistics of children injured while walking through parking lots with their mothers vs. being harmed in a car jacking. I suspect the relative risks would be very eye-opening.
Your kids are teens/tweens. They can protect themselves. Completely different than leaving an infant alone in a car.
Spirit) for my BIG 4-0!,
,2/11- POP
Old 12-11-2012, 03:06 PM   #98
Pipkin
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo4x4 View Post
Mine juuuuuust turned 12 and it's a little different with siblings that grew up as "equals" than with someone else's kids. Oldest is allowed to stay home alone. We won't let her watch her sister 'til next year.
Equals? There is not much 'equal' about a 12 and 7 year old. I used to babysit for my little brother from the time I was 11 and he was 2. My parents both worked. I think that assuming responsibilities for "someone else's" kids is a bigger deal.
Pipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:09 PM   #99
ebtbmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsGirl View Post
I did it often when my kids were too small to get out of their carseats by themselves so long as I could see the car. I haven't read all the replies but so many people commented about the cars and/or kids being stolen, why wouldn't you lock the car, I always did My usual places were Cumbies for milk, the local chinese take out, those kinds of places...I certainly didn't do my weekly shopping or anything like that.

But, once they were old enough to get themselves out of their seats and up until they were probably 10 years old, I didn't trust them to stay put for any length of time so I either left them at home or brought them into the store/market with me.
I agree. If DS was strapped into a car seat, asleep, and car locked what could happen? This obviously only applies to places where you can see the car, small places like a Dominoes or something.
11/2004 1st trip, ASM,11/2006 2nd trip, POP,6/2008 day trip DLR,11/2008 3rd trip, POP,1/2010 DLR at DLH!,1/2011 1st solo POFQ, 11/2011 POR, 3/2012 B-day trip! 10/2012 POP, 6/2013 day trip DLP 11/2013 POP 2/2014 CSR 2nd solo!

ebtbmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:14 PM   #100
cornflake
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcyinPA View Post
Your kids are teens/tweens. They can protect themselves. Completely different than leaving an infant alone in a car.
If someone takes the keys out of the car, and goes into the dry cleaners, pizza place, etc., what is the infant not being protected FROM?

No one is talking about leaving a baby in a car in a big parking lot and going into Target to get 10 things.
cornflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:21 PM   #101
BCDisneyFanatic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Did you read the second paragraph?

And your last comment was:

Quote:
NEVER. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER. If you can't take the baby/child out of the car with you, then don't go. Period.
What is your definition of 'child'? It seems like some posters consider 10/12 year olds to be children that are too young to be left unattended in a car, which is why I posted the info in the first paragraph.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:24 PM   #102
BernardandMissBianca
I just love a dancing banana!
I'm a Tag Fairy junkieI wanted to be a lawyer or a teacher, and now I'm both, I'm a mom!
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronandannette View Post
(Or why a 16 y.o. can't stay alone in a car with younger sibs while parked in his own driveway? Rough neighbourhood?)
Guess I should have clarified that. DS16 sits in the car while in the driveway or at a store. If DS16 isn't with me then no, the little kids don't sit in the car in the driveway. I don't live in a bad neighborhood but I do live in a busy road that is the only road with access to 2 major towns. Lots of people walk that major road to get from one town to the other because we live out far enough that there is no public transportation. Some of those people are not of sound mind.
One attempted to talk to DS16 at the bus stop at the end of the driveway last week at 6am. DS16 was fast enough to bolt back into the house. I can not see the car from the house because my garage blocks my view. What would have stopped that man from stealing my car and/or my kids if I had left them out there to get something???
Old 12-11-2012, 03:28 PM   #103
marcyinPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflake View Post
If someone takes the keys out of the car, and goes into the dry cleaners, pizza place, etc., what is the infant not being protected FROM?

No one is talking about leaving a baby in a car in a big parking lot and going into Target to get 10 things.
Stuff happens. There are crazy people out there. Personally, I wouldn't be willing to take the chance.
Spirit) for my BIG 4-0!,
,2/11- POP
Old 12-11-2012, 03:30 PM   #104
Pooh Crew
DIS Veteran

Mother of five here weighing in. Never left any of mine anywhere in a car alone. Just not worth the risk to me. Three of my five are triplets, so I can understand the trouble of dragging a baby into a store for a two second errand, but I either took everyone in with me or I didn't go. I could unload and set up my limo of a stroller faster than most people can unhook their own seatbelts! Lol

Saw a story on the news years ago where a woman ran into a convenience store and left her son in the car. A guy jumped into the car and started backing out (can't remember if he hotwired the car or if mom left keys), and boy tried to escape with mom trying to pull him from the vehicle. He got caught in the seatbelt and was dragged to death. That poor mother's face was burned into my brain. I want to say he was around seven, but I honestly can't remember.

Edited to add: I'm obviously not talking about older teens...just younger kids.
Pooh Crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:32 PM   #105
BCDisneyFanatic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernardandMissBianca View Post
One attempted to talk to DS16 at the bus stop at the end of the driveway last week at 6am. DS16 was fast enough to bolt back into the house. I can not see the car from the house because my garage blocks my view. What would have stopped that man from stealing my car and/or my kids if I had left them out there to get something???
What did he attempt to talk to your DS about, that he had to rush back into the house? Did he threaten your son? If so, that would be pretty disconcerting and I could see why you might be nervous.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: