Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2012, 12:01 AM   #76
mom2boys
Horseshoe Mesa - 3 miles, 31 switchbacks & 2500 vertical feet down and ALL that way back UP to the rim!
I always wondered why, of all the animals on earth, they would pick a hippo

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofyintoronto View Post
Ya but most kids that age know better and are able to sit there and not cause trouble.

Sent from my Galaxy SII
Seriously, you never pretended to drive the car?
Who doesn't getting in the driver's seat, steering & making engine noises? I did it when I had to wait in the car (with a parent). My kids did it while we waited in the car with DH.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:03 AM   #77
cornflake
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2boys View Post
Who doesn't getting in the driver's seat, steering & making engine noises? I did it when I had to wait in the car (with a parent). My kids did it while we waited in the car with DH.
At 10?
cornflake is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-11-2012, 08:29 AM   #78
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflake View Post
At 10?
I still do it at 45!

At 10, my biggest thrill was turning everything on so when Mom started the car the radio was on full blast and the wipers flopping around LOL.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:32 AM   #79
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Quote:
I... what trouble? I mean presuming you take the keys, so the kid can't start it and drive off - though if your 10-year-old would try that I think there are larger issues than whether to leave him in the car - what trouble can a kid get into in a parked car?

People were also talking about 12, someone even said 16 at some point. These are kids who manage, here, to get to and from school themselves and etc. The idea they can't be alone in a car is just foreign to me.
If you haven't left the keys in it or the engine running (as I see all too often) the biggest trouble one could get into would involve getting out of the car.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:46 AM   #80
Ginny Favers
I told my husband I think they must put crack in it

It can sometimes be a HUGE hassle to get the kids out, especially when they're sleeping and comfortable and you're going to take less time to just pop in than you would struggling to get them out of the car. I remember not wanting to stop at places for that reason. But I've always taken them out.

The way I see it, some people choose to run through that light that just turned red, and others will stop and wait. It all depends on what you're willing to risk. I choose not to risk it. If others do, then they must bear whatever consequences might follow. Likely everything will be fine, but in that one instance that it's not, they have no one to blame but themselves.
Ginny Favers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:50 AM   #81
EMom
Comes from a long line of all fork hole pokers
I had the auburn haired Chrissy doll whose hair grew. She lost most of it in an incense fire. Don't ask

I never have left small children in a car and never would. I remember my mother saving three young children whose mother had left them to briefly go into a store. We parked beside their car and my mother was going into the store when their car began to roll backward (it was on an incline) towards a 5 lane road which was thick with fast moving cars. Honestly, I still cannot believe my mother moved that fast at her age, but she somehow RAN and got into that car and managed to stop it rolling just before it would have entered traffic. She thought perhaps the emergency brake was not on or even malfunctioned. She was too rattled to check out all the details. If my mother hadn't managed to stop that car, the children would have doubtless been injured, possibly even killed. She made me promise, then and there, to never leave kids alone in a car while I ran into a store.
EMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:50 AM   #82
jodifla

DIS Veteran

I routinely did it whenever I wasn't actually going to enter another buillding..for example, parking in front of a video store and dropping the video off about 5 feet away, or getting money from the outside ATM when I could practially lean back and touch the car. It just didn't make any sense to me to take DS out of the car to drag him the 5 feet in the rain or snow or blazing sun.

I'm perplexed at how people steal cars so readily -- when they are locked and you have the keys?
jodifla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:02 AM   #83
lovin'fl
DIS Veteran

My mom was second oldest of 6 kids (5 girls and youngest was a boy) who were always left in the car at places (though it was the 50s and very different times). She told me a story of one time she and a few of her sisters were in the car when a perv walked up and did something really nasty at the window for them to see. That sealed the deal that I would never leave my kids in the car (unless I could see them the whole time...like dropping off books at the outside library slot)...too many sickos out there.

Last edited by lovin'fl; 12-11-2012 at 09:11 AM.
lovin'fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:05 AM   #84
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodifla View Post
I'm perplexed at how people steal cars so readily -- when they are locked and you have the keys?
Seriously? never heard of the term "chop" shop? You must not live in a big city. I know folks who can steal your car in less then 3 minutes, have it down at the chop shop, strip it and bring it back to you quicker than you can get through a mcdonalds drive thru. (no I don't hang out with them, my dad was a beat cop and my bf is a district attorney, you meet some very interesting folks hanging out with people in law enforcement. LOL)

Op, I did this many times when my kids where younger. I wouldn't leave the keys in the car or leave the car running but I definitely left them in the car to run into the cleaners or use the ATM machine.

never thought any thing of it. Now I know there is a chance that my car will burst into flames, begin to roll and end up in the river, get hit by lighting and get smashed by a runaway garbage trunck but if I tried to control every "what if" scenerio, I'd never leave the house.

then of course the turned into evil teenagers and I'd try to leave them... they followed.

Last edited by eliza61; 12-11-2012 at 09:11 AM.
eliza61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:10 AM   #85
HelenePA
I could use a cupcake now
I'm a tetris addict!
I have a secret obsession with turkeys
Yep I am Cat Stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61 View Post
Seriously? never heard of the term "chop" shop? You must not live in a big city. I know folks who can steal your car in less then 3 minutes, have it down at the chop shop, strip it and bring it back to you quicker than you can get through a mcdonalds drive thru.

Op, I did this many times when my kids where younger. I wouldn't leave the keys in the car or leave the car running but I definitely left them in the car to run into the cleaners or use the ATM machine.

never thought any thing of it. Now I know there is a chance that my car will burst into flames, begin to roll and end up in the river, get hit by lighting and get smashed by a runaway garbage trunck but if I tried to control every "what if" scenerio, I'd never leave the house.
Another reason I'm not a city person! Heck I dont even lock my car door when I park it out in front of my house! At least I dont leave the keys in the car anymore

The universe is big, its vast and complicated, and ridiculous. And sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles. - 11
HelenePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:13 AM   #86
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenePA View Post
Another reason I'm not a city person! Heck I dont even lock my car door when I park it out in front of my house! At least I dont leave the keys in the car anymore
It takes me 12 minutes to unlock my front door. If my house ever catches on fire, I'm toast!! and I'm not even in Philly proper.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:19 AM   #87
HelenePA
I could use a cupcake now
I'm a tetris addict!
I have a secret obsession with turkeys
Yep I am Cat Stupid

Quote:
It takes me 12 minutes to unlock my front door. If my house ever catches on fire, I'm toast!! and I'm not even in Philly proper.
Wait you lock your front door? My dead bolt doesn't even work just the dinky little lock on the door knob I will say I do lock my kids in the car when I leave them there.. its more for everyone elses safety than theirs.. my 4 yr old is a terror.

The universe is big, its vast and complicated, and ridiculous. And sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles. - 11
HelenePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:24 AM   #88
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2boys View Post
Quote:
At 10?

Exactly! At 10?? Lol. Maybe at 5. But not at 10. My son has stopped doing this by the age of 5 as well.

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW

I've been BOO'ED by Forum Jumper!!!
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:25 AM   #89
mrodgers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenePA View Post
My car doesn't even lock. The window regulator separated from the window and the window fell into the door. Had to remove the door panel and when I put it back together, the speaker surround would fall out. Then the door lock lever would fall out. Get that attached and the speaker surround fell again. After about 8 times pulling the panel back off to fix either of those, thought I had it and put all the screws back in. Nope, stupid door lock was unattached again. Now it doesn't lock.

We've been known to leave the house unlocked and even the garage door open. "Heck, we'll only be 3 hours for a quick run to the store, leave it open."
mrodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:28 AM   #90
jodifla

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Seriously? never heard of the term "chop" shop? You must not live in a big city. I know folks who can steal your car in less then 3 minutes, have it down at the chop shop, strip it and bring it back to you quicker than you can get through a mcdonalds drive thru. (no I don't hang out with them, my dad was a beat cop and my bf is a district attorney, you meet some very interesting folks hanging out with people in law enforcement. LOL)

then of course the turned into evil teenagers and I'd try to leave them... they followed.

I live near Detroit now; and I certainly wouldn't leave anyone in the car downtown. But out in the 'burbs, no one I know has had their car stolen outside a convenience store or small shop in a few minutes. I know of people who have had their car go missing in mall parking lots, though.
jodifla is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: