Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2012, 01:11 PM   #1
mickeysgal
Orange you glad I like Knock Knock jokes?
"I am Mrs. Nesbitt" - Buzz Lightyear

Facebook friends - do you regularly clean up your friends list?

This is sort of based on the "how many friends to you have thread".

That thread got me thinking. Are all the friends that I have on Facebook truly friends? Are some of them even acquaintances at this point?

There are my friends that post and/or comment regularly or even semi-regularly and there are those friends that never post a comment or a "like" at all yet I can see that they do on other friend's accounts.

If you haven't heard from them in a year or two's time, is it time to declutter by defriending them? At that point, aren't they more nosy than interested in maintaining a genuine friendship?

I do have a few people on a restricted list - three to be exact. Is this how people avoid defriending? You still are listed as a friend, but the reality is you very well could be on a restricted list yourself.

I can't think of any good reason why I need to keep them as friends. Would there be hurt feelings if I defriended someone? Perhaps yes, but most likely not.

What do you do? Do you hit the unfriend button?
mickeysgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:16 PM   #2
scrapquitler
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeysgal View Post

That thread got me thinking. Are all the friends that I have on Facebook truly friends? Are some of them even acquaintances at this point?

There are my friends that post and/or comment regularly or even semi-regularly and there are those friends that never post a comment or a "like" at all yet I can see that they do on other friend's accounts.

If you haven't heard from them in a year or two's time, is it time to declutter by defriending them? At that point, aren't they more nosy than interested in maintaining a genuine friendship?

I do have a few people on a restricted list - three to be exact. Is this how people avoid defriending? You still are listed as a friend, but the reality is you very well could be on a restricted list yourself.

I can't think of any good reason why I need to keep them as friends. Would there be hurt feelings if I defriended someone? Perhaps yes, but most likely not.

No, I don't defriend. I figure that I know a lot of people who are on facebook but don't use it much. At some point if they want to/need to contact me, they can do so (and vice versa). I've got a lot of people on my list that are more acquaintances than friends, and that's okay too. There's no reason to burn any bridges just because we aren't buddies.

I don't care if they are 'truly friends', they can still stay on my FB list. Would you feel differently about it if FB called them "Contacts" instead of friends? Do you erase people from your address book because they don't write you letters? I guess it's a matter of what you expect from these contact lists (which is how I see it, rather than 'friends').
scrapquitler is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-09-2012, 01:27 PM   #3
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

I unfriend people when they annoy me, especially during election season. I just didn't want to read their rah rah about one candidate and dissing the ones I supported. Same with football teams. Some people are fun to tease back and forth, but others are obnoxious about our differences so I cut them off.

they don't get a big red flag on Facebook warning them you've unfriended them. Chances are, they won't even notice.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:41 PM   #4
Tinijocaro
DIS Veteran

I only unfriend people who go on religious or political rants or who are overly boastful. I don't care if a person rarely posts. I have unfriended people who post too frequently or super boring posts constantly-time to go to bed or here is my list of things I have to do today.
Tinijocaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:43 PM   #5
disykat
DIS Veteran

I agree with scrapquilter. I have people on facebook that are more like "contacts" than actual friends. I have no problem with it. I have the people whose posts I don't want to see all the time hidden, but I am either interested enough in them to want the possibility of communicating easily with them or fine with them contacting me - so we stay "friends."

I'm always surprised when I read on here how people seem to think being a friend on facebook carries some sort of responsibility.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised. It reminds me of the Christmas letter threads where people say "if I haven't seen you in a year I don't want to know what your kids are doing or look like."

Last edited by disykat; 12-09-2012 at 02:53 PM.
disykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:43 PM   #6
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda

I go through it once a year.

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
FlightlessDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:36 PM   #7
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeysgal View Post

If it has been six months to a year, and I have had no contact with them (but I can see they've otherwise been active on FB), then yes, I do unfriend them.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:11 PM   #8
beaucoup
DIS Veteran

Constantly getting rid of people.
beaucoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:12 PM   #9
LisaInNc
Succulent Wild Woman

I just went through mine today.

Lisa
LisaInNc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:39 PM   #10
MM27
DIS Veteran

I've unfriended a few people, including my mother. She had no idea what she was doing on fb and would read my posts and then call me to ask what they were about...every single post I made or one of my friends made. I decided that I needed to keep my worlds separate.
Old 12-09-2012, 03:45 PM   #11
design_mom
I am probably more like my dad than I care to admit
I hate touching raw meat

I've never unfriended anyone, but I'm pretty picky about who I accept in the first place.

I only have one FB friend who really falls into the "annoying" category. He posts a lot of sports-, political-, and religious tirades (strangely, he doesn't seem nearly as over-the-top in "real life!") I do enjoy hearing about his family though, and looking at the photos he posts. He's quite a good (amateur) photographer. So I keep him and just weed out the annoying posts. I wish there was some way you could set up filtering by keyword!
Old 12-09-2012, 03:47 PM   #12
MrsJackSparrow4Life
DIS Veteran

I don't let just anybody on my friends list in the first place so there isn't all that much to clean up.

If I do not like what they are posting (political, religious, TMI, etc) I will hide them from my feed. I had to hide my mother's posts during the last election and we are on the same political side . There is just only so much political posting I can handle from either side.
MrsJackSparrow4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:49 PM   #13
TeresaNJ

Knows the tricks to get the Tag Fairies' attention! Likes all pretty colors Gets teary when she hears Garth sing "The Dance"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraJayne View Post
If it has been six months to a year, and I have had no contact with them (but I can see they've otherwise been active on FB), then yes, I do unfriend them.
Ditto.
TeresaNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:30 PM   #14
pacrosby
DIS Veteran

Absolutely. I don't use FB as a form of 'networking'. And it's not some sort of popularity contest. For me it's a place where I can keep in touch with real friends who I don't get a chance to see on a regular basis. Not a place to collect people who are likely to do no more than collect dust. For all those people who don't understand people who think like me, I honestly don't understand people who think like them. Why do you want to be in contact with people you really don't care a heck of a lot about in the first place?

It's actually very easy to tell who is just really busy and who isn't really that tuned in to the 'friendship". And, honestly, if people aren't that tuned in than why do I want all my news and photos etc going through their newsfeed? I figure I'm doing us both a favor. No need to pretend.
pacrosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:18 PM   #15
lacrosse_lady72
I <3 Disney

I don't really use Facebook enough to care about unfriending people. I have unfriended a few people though, but that was because I either unfriended them in person, like we had a fight, or they suck... or because they got too political or racist.

WDW: JULY/AUGUST 2002, MARCH 2004, MARCH/APRIL 2005, SEPTEMBER 2006, SEPTEMBER 2007, SEPTEMBER 2008, SEPTEMBER/OCTOBER 2009, APRIL 2010, SEPTEMBER 2011, SEPTEMBER 2013, SEPTEMBER 2015
DLR: APRIL 1998, DECEMBER 2005, JANUARY 2012, JANUARY 2013

lacrosse_lady72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: