DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2012, 11:55 AM   #1
rutgers1
DIS Veteran

List your 2012 obscure Disney things to do for DVCers with too much time!

We will be visiting for 13 days this summer, and it seems like we have done it all.........ok, not everything -- but a whole lot. I ask a question like this every year or so, and I love the responses.

So, what's on your Obscure Disney World Adventure list?

Here are a few of mine:
1) Once, we rented a boat for Wishes with another family we met on disboards. They were great people, and sharing the boat made the price palatable.
2) We spent an entire day at the Boardwalk once. That might not sound obscure, but I figure most people don't do that. It was such a great time, chillin' by the pool.
3) We actually devoted the time (a couple hours, if I recall) to get the ultimate spot to watch Wishes. Previously, we had actually never even seen it, as we always darted around the park to get on rides while everyone else was watching it.
4) We ran the Wine and Dine 5K/Half Marathon.

As you can see, not very obscure. I need some more "off the beaten path" things!!!
rutgers1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:59 PM   #2
wdrl
DIS Veteran

Spend a few hours exploring the new Art of Animation Resort. Even if you don't have a car, you can take a Disney bus from any of the Parks or DTD. Its fun to walk around the four different sections -- Cars, Nemo, Lion King, and Little Mermaid -- and look at the Disney Imagineers' phenomenal attention to detail (both big and small). And don't overlook the Art of Animation's lobby. There is a special story to its layout. You can easily spend 2-3 hours casually walking around the resort. Then, you can grab a bite to eat at AofA's food court which, by the way, takes the Tables in Wonderland card.
Register to remove

Old 12-09-2012, 01:03 PM   #3
dvcterry
DIS Veteran

1) Search for hidden mickeys
2) Spend time at exploring the different countries around World Showcase
3) We usually do surrey bike rental at one of the resorts-not necessarily the one we stay at, so we can resort hop & look around, try something to eat, find some more mickeys
3) We enjoyed the Behind the Seed tour at Epcot. We were able to participate by releasing ladybugs, tried some veggies, fed fish, learned a lot and had a lot of fun. Nice tour. See our pics below.

Old 12-09-2012, 01:11 PM   #4
bwvBound
DVC SSR & other timeshare

We didn't spend much time at WDW this year, so my comments will be from other DVC locations:
  • Walk along Vero Beach every morning at sunrise to look for turtle tracks. (Our visit was in the right season for this activity.)
  • Stay up late at night to walk Vero Beach watching for turtles in their nesting ritual. We happened to see one from the Vero Beach deck, without going down to the beach itself, at midnight on the last night of our stay.
  • Share the World of Color with a friend or family member from your villa at the Grand Californian via FaceTime. We were so fortunate to have a perfect room location!
  • Take part in the morning Power Walk through California Adventure!
bwvBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:29 PM   #5
DizBub
Totally Addicted

There's never too much time!! The last time we went for 7 nights we thought we had all the time in the world and we didn't find time to to half the things we wanted to.

Things we didn't get to do last time....
#1 Dinner or lunch at House of Blues
#2 Mini golf
#3 Didn't make it to the Boardwalk once
#4 Didn't do Welcome Home Wednesday
#5 Didn't take the boat to DTD from OKW. We were at OKW for a whole week.
#6 Didn't see Wishes at MK
#7 Didn't see Illuminations at Epcot
#8 Breakfast at Grand Floridian Cafe. We didn't get there at all that trip.
#9 Never got in 1 pool
#10 Didn't do Belle's Enchanted Tales at the new Fantasyland (preview)

I could go on. Most of those things are not very obscure but really did intend to do them at some point during the trip. Next time.
DizBub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:46 PM   #6
rutgers1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdrl View Post
Spend a few hours exploring the new Art of Animation Resort. Even if you don't have a car, you can take a Disney bus from any of the Parks or DTD. Its fun to walk around the four different sections -- Cars, Nemo, Lion King, and Little Mermaid -- and look at the Disney Imagineers' phenomenal attention to detail (both big and small). And don't overlook the Art of Animation's lobby. There is a special story to its layout. You can easily spend 2-3 hours casually walking around the resort. Then, you can grab a bite to eat at AofA's food court which, by the way, takes the Tables in Wonderland card.
We'll try that this summer. I haven't stayed there before, though we have visited the food court at Pop Century. We though the food court there was the best in Disney. How does AofA compare?....or are we talking about the same food court?
Old 12-09-2012, 02:31 PM   #7
AirGoofy
DIS Dad#341
Savvy!
I have yet to snag one of those recliner seats right in front of the big screen TV

We took a boat from OKW to DTD, a boat back to POR for Beignets, and a boat back to DTD for ice cream from Giradhelli. Probably not the most efficient mode of transportation, but it was fun.
DIS Dad #341
WDW Commando #187
Disneytopia LIVE! DVC Trip Reports
2014 DDC Disney World Series Champion
2011 Dis Dads Pro Football Pick'em Champion
AirGoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:53 PM   #8
Daddio
David's Vacation Club Rentals

DISboards Approved Advertiser

Smile

A walk through the shops at West Side Disney, a quick couple of games at Disney Quest followed by dinner and a movie at the AMC Dine in theatre is a must for us on most trips.

~ David
Better Business Bureau Accredited: ..BBB

Daddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:18 PM   #9
Donna M
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirGoofy View Post
We took a boat from OKW to DTD, a boat back to POR for Beignets, and a boat back to DTD for ice cream from Giradhelli. Probably not the most efficient mode of transportation, but it was fun.
This sounds like something I might try----a nice way to get to the ice-cream by way of Beignets
Old 12-09-2012, 03:47 PM   #10
KandiB47
It's kind of grossing me out to imagine eating stale keyboard crumbs
Tag toggler

We also have done it all in the four parks many times before. These are the activities I have planned for our upcoming trip.

1. We are going to visit Celebration, FL. I've never been to Walt's real town.

2. Touring the deluxe resorts for holiday decorations and shopping.

3. The Outta Control Comedy and Magic Show (not Disney but it has good reviews on trip advisor).

-I love Jellyrolls Dueling Piano Bar at the Board Walk. We are not doing it this time but it is a great activity. We usually take our son to the drop in child care at the Beach Club and walk over to Jellyrolls.

-We often hang out for a few hours at ESPN Club at the Board Walk if it is football season. This year we are going to Celebration Town Tavern for something new. Jan 1st, Rose Bowl=Go Badgers!

No matter what we do, there never seems to be enough time for it all!
AS Sp, Feb 96 /Our Disney Wedding Apr 24, 2004 /ASM, GF, SoG Apr 04 /DCL Magic, Eastern Carribean, May 04 /POFQ, Dec 05 /HHI, Aug 06 /SSR, Oct 07 (DS's 1st trip) /BCV, Dec 08/ DCL Magic, Western Caribbean, Apr 09 (5 yr anniversary) /AKV, Sept 09 /THV, BWV, Nov 10/CB,Vero Beach Jan 11/ OKW, DCL Dream, Oct 11 /DL & DCL Wonder, Mexican Riveria, Apr 12/New Year's Eve at BCV, SoG, Jan 13/OKW, Nov 13/AKV, Oct 14 (10 yr anniversary)/DCL Fantasy, Eastern Carribean, Apr 15
KandiB47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:18 PM   #11
DisneyRegulars
DIS Veteran

Be the first to Tom Sawyer's island and look for a paintbrush! You'll get a fastpass or something similar for the find, but the actual hunt is the best part. double check that they are doing it that day though because last trip about a year ago we looked and looked only to find out they had temporarily stopped hiding them.

Trip report from our first DVC trip: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2864556
Plus our Anniversary Vacation: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2954701
Trip report with a potty training toddler: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2987412
I survived a trip with MIL: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3040750
A Magic Kingdom Ultimate Tour Adventure http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...92&postcount=1
First trip with Magic Bands http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3170056
Post Holiday Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3201404
Non-Fancy Fanatics at VGF http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3268362
Sept '03 (All Star Sports, DH's first trip) || March '04 (Travelodge) || March '05 (Star Island) || XMAS '06 (All Star Vacation Home) || March '07 (POP, Deluxe Dining Plan) || March '09 (POP) || June '09 Disney Land || April '11 (All Star Vacation Home, DS's first trip-14m) || January '12 (OKW, first DVC trip) || July '12 (Boardwalk, Anniversary Trip) || Sept '12 (AKV) || Jan '13 (AKV) || July '13 (SSR, Anniversary Trip) || September '13 (SSR) || January '14 (Boardwalk, AKV) || May '14 (VGF and Expedition Everest Challenge)
DisneyRegulars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:15 PM   #12
rutgers1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyRegulars View Post
Be the first to Tom Sawyer's island and look for a paintbrush! You'll get a fastpass or something similar for the find, but the actual hunt is the best part. double check that they are doing it that day though because last trip about a year ago we looked and looked only to find out they had temporarily stopped hiding them.
Never heard of this. Thanks! And as strange as it sounds, we have been to Disney a million times and have never gone to Tom Sawyer's Island.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:18 PM   #13
silmarg
SIL

Yehaa bob!
2009 Feb - WDW (POP - buy 4 get 7 impromptu trip | Aug/Sep - Nine Days of FREE DINING and FREE SSR upgrade!
2010 Feb - Taking my parents to POR w Grand Kids | Sept - Pop Free Dining Bounce Back
2011 Feb - Grand California DVC Welcome Home | Aug - Disney Dream!!! (AKV b4 and BCV after)
2012 Feb - Carribean Beach / SSR split stay | Sept - 5 day NYC/Canadian Cruise on Magic | Oct - 3 day suprise the kids trip MNSSHP / F&W @ OKW
2013 Feb - Disney Fantasy (western) | Aug/Sept - Parents 50th Anniv. Disney Fantasy (eastern) and WDW (OKW)
2014 Feb - VGC and ABD BSM
2014 Aug - BLT
2014 Sept - Disney Magic Southern Caribbean (still on the fence on this one)
silmarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:34 PM   #14
JWG
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyRegulars View Post
I believe they have stopped doing this all together.

JWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:34 PM   #15
Simba's Mom
everything went to "H*** in a handbasket
Keep me off the high horses!
Suffers from theme park dyslexia

Take a round trip on the ferry boat. In the morning, the boat's pretty crowded from the TTC to MK, but close to empty on the way back. I love to ride around on the boats!
Go to AKV and take one of their tours-either the lobby architecture, Boma and Jiko, or the one of Sanaa; also I suggest the sunset storytellers. AKV has lots of great activities and they don't ask you if you're staying there to partake in them.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: