Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2012, 02:40 PM   #1
GillianP1301
DIS Veteran

I just upgraded to AKL!

I've decided to splurge a bit and instead of AS Movies next August, to go with AKL. I originally chose AS Movies because I know my DS4 would get a real kick out of the theming and that was really the only reason I chose it. When I was booking last year, AKL was my first impression favourite (from reading about it), but my budget allowed only for moderate, so I did CBR Pirate Room and we enjoyed that. This coming trip, I'm doing a split stay with offsite and only doing 4 nights onsite and had a PIN code for 35% off AKL and figured if I'm ever going to get the chance, a shorter trip with a discount is probably the time to do it.

I decided on the pool view (I couldn't quite swing the extra $ for a savannah view) and looking for any info anybody has on these rooms in relation to resort ammeneties, etc... I was looking for the info thread on this board for AKL but unable to find it in a search.

ETA... I just found the info thread. Obviously a bit blind here. :-) Would still love any first hand input you have though.
POP & Offsite - Aug 2013 - MB/FP+ test
Caribbean Beach Resort - Aug 2012 - First visit with DS4
Disneyland - 2003 - Solo business trip
WDW Offsite - 1997 - 5th Anniversary
WDW Offsite - 1992 - Honeymooon
WDW Offsite - 1986 - First WDW trip
GillianP1301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:43 PM   #2
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran

Yay for upgrading!! Here is the thread you are looking for...

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2961001
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-11-2012, 04:20 PM   #3
buzznina
DIS Veteran

Location: The White Sugar Beaches of the Florida Panhandle, Destin area. 7 hours away from the Magic Place.

Another place to look aklresort, just google it.

DW DH DD(10) DD(5)

AKL-SV(2), POLY, GF(CL), CR, POFQ(3), POR(6)(RGR(2)), CSR(10), CBR, FW CABINS, BW, POP(3), ASMU(2), ASSP, ASMO and DLH
buzznina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:22 PM   #4
GillianP1301
DIS Veteran

Thank you!

Of course, now I'm doubting myself and looking at Wilderness Lodge. Somehow, I think my ressie may change a few times between now and next August.
POP & Offsite - Aug 2013 - MB/FP+ test
Caribbean Beach Resort - Aug 2012 - First visit with DS4
Disneyland - 2003 - Solo business trip
WDW Offsite - 1997 - 5th Anniversary
WDW Offsite - 1992 - Honeymooon
WDW Offsite - 1986 - First WDW trip
GillianP1301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:45 PM   #5
GrandCalifornian
Can't Wait To Go Back

Congratulations on your upcoming trip. I came on to post about how impressed we were with AKL when we visited there last September. Our almost 3 year old daughter loved the playground, and it is right next to the savannah. The whole pool / courtyard area seemed well designed, and gave a lot of space while everything was still close and easy to get to. The zero entry pool is a plus, and having to take busses everywhere isn't bad when they come frequently and the ride isn't too long.

We were seriously considering AKL for our planned return visit in September 2013, but in the end we stuck with WL which we absolutely love. People will offer their opinions either way on that comparison, but they are both wonderful resorts. We enjoy having the boat option to get to MK and the Contemporary from WL, even though the busses are faster.

Enjoy your trip, and the decision making process!
GrandCalifornian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:48 PM   #6
DPCummerbund
Mouseketeer

If you like the Deluxe resorts but are on a Moderate budget, have you considered renting DVC points? Many people (myself included) have found this to be a great way to save money on the best resorts, & you'll probably save more than 35%. Fortunately the DIS is a great place to get info on point renting - there's a whole set of forums on here about it. Plus, the two resorts you're looking at - AKL and the Wilderness Lodge - both have DVC resorts attached to them.
DPCummerbund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:38 PM   #7
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

You will love AKL . We've stayed in a savanah view as well as pool view and we loved our pool view just as much as the savanah view. There are so many animal viewing areas around the resort that we didn't feel like we were missing out on anything when we had the pool view. We've also stayed at (and love) the WL. If you want to be close to MK and have alternate transportation options, WL is a great choice. But with that said, we didn't think the buses were bad at all from AKL as they only service AKL and Kidani, with no sharing with any other resort. You really can't go wrong with either resort, but I would probably stick with AKL with the age of your DS......I'm sure he would love seeing the animals .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: