Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2012, 11:47 AM   #31
stargazer2892
Mouseketeer

As a server in a family owned bar her drink would have been comped and replaced no questions asked and the next round would have been on us as well. There is no reason a Med Rare recook should have taken more then 10 minutes, since they couldn't have pulled the next med rare steak and given it to her. And since it was wrong both times it should have been comped as well as her replacement food. It goes with out saying the lobster tail would have been comped as would the drinks that weren't ordered. Now, for the friends food, since she didn't want to have it recooked, or ordered something else (I understand why) and just ate it her steak I understand why her's wasn't comped.
I personally, would have just comped the entire meal and drinks, bought them dessert, and apologized. The entire experience was terrible and it was the restaurants fault, they should have taken the hit and at least tried to make things right and hope they come back when it's
Old 12-09-2012, 12:22 PM   #32
sookie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdmom View Post
The manager's response was fine to me. Problem with the drink - he had it replaced. Problem with the steak - he took it off your bill. Problem with the lobster - he took it off your bill.

I don't understand the point of view that because you had problems with certain items that other items should be free. If you went to Macy's and had a problem with a toaster, should they comp the set of pots and pans that you also bought?
What planet do you live on? This was a horrible experience.
First they called ahead, but when they arrived they had to wait another hour. While waiting, she cut her lip on their glass - that should never happen. She was charged for that drink. That alone - cutting her lip on the drink - should have comped the entire meal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mombrontrent View Post
I disagree that the managers response was appropriate. She didn't order the shrimp coctail or salad originally. She gave them two chances to make her steak and they failed both times. By this time I am sure the rest of her party was done their meals and after an already long wait she was probably very hungry. The manager offered her something else and she picked a quick an easy alternative. Not something she wanted but rather something to fill her up and not keep her party waiting any longer while they "attempted" another steak. Plus she said this was a steakhouse and they cooked both her and her friends steaks wrong. If a steakhouse can't cook a steak...

Also the managers response was appropriate only if his goal was not to have these customers back in the restaurant. If you want repeat business then you should be trying to have your diners leave happy. I would also call corperate if this is a chain.
I agree. Call corporate. I would love to know the name of the chain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachGirlFLA View Post
I agree with this...I also don't like their response to the cut lip...There was blood in your drink and I don't think you're a vampire so you weren't going to finish the drink. It should have been on the house and they should have made sure you didn't need first aid as a cut on the lip can leave a scar.
What happens if you get an infection? It would be a major issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeysgal View Post
You cut your mouth on their glass that they served to you that was broken and you really think you should pay for the corrected drink? The manager should have not only comped the corrected drink, but should have comped her dinner as well. You don't serve people in a broken glass. Thats sloppy, careless, and a liability risk. That manager should have been jumping through hoops trying to smooth that one over.

DH and co-workers were having dinner at a pretty high end restaurant. The heavy oak bar table that they were sitting at all of a sudden collasped - it was the kind where it's a round top on a pedistal. Caught and smashed DH's hand as it went down. Not only were they comped what they were eating or drinking at the time, but DH was given a gift card to come back. It wasn't asked for but the manager was insistant that he take it. Now that's good customer service.
That is what should have been done here. The manager must not have a clue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
Wow, you guys have a lot of patience. I would have NEVER waited that long to be seated.

That said, I think you were comped properly but it would have been a good gesture had the manager given you a $25 gift certificate for another visit. That gets YOU back in the restaurant when things are going better and it makes up a bit for the horrible inconvenience.

I also try not to go to new restaurants. We had a PF Changs open near my house about 3 months ago. I've been twice. It's fine but it's still not running smoothly in my opinion.

Another chain just opened also and the nice thing that did was that for the first week they were open, they offered 50% of all food process while they were "training." I think that's a great idea. Gets people in, lets them know they are "training", and keeps the prices low at a time they know there will be screw ups.
I love PF Changs!!! They go out of their way. And when you call ahead - you are seated properly and quickly. I just can't believe what the OP went through. That is a major issue. Maybe you can at least get your $$$$$$ back op! Please don't tell me you tipped. I would be really ticked. Further - they need to know so they can correct the issue - from the bar, to the server to the MANAGER - in the future.
sookie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-09-2012, 12:24 PM   #33
DisneyNutMary
DIS Veteran

I guess the manager was never properly trained. Broken glass, cut lip- the manager should definitely been falling all over himself to make you happy. It's a good thing nothing worse than a cut lip was the result.
By some if the responses here, I'd say a lot of posters do not, or have not, worked in a service industry. Yes, customers DO pay our salary, we never say "cant do" and we never let the customer leave unhappy. Profits long term far outweigh a few losses in the short term. A comped meal, drinks to dessert today, could mean a repeat customer in the future, who will potentially make up for that comped meal multiple times over. My boss tell our customers to come see him any time they have an issue, and he always makes it right- they even stop in just to say hi as time goes on.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:38 PM   #34
scrapquitler
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couchy View Post
DH and I went out with another couple to a new big chain steakhouse last night. We had called an hour ahead. When we got there we were given a pager and told it would be another hour. We went to the bar and I ordered a martini and DH a beer and we paid. I took a sip and immediately saw and tasted blood. My glass was broken and it cut my lip . I don't like making a scene or complaining but I needed a napkin and my glass had blood on it. The bar tender looked horrified and was extremely apologetic . She made a new one and sent the manager over .
The manager apologized and walked away. No offer to pay for my drink , give us an appetizer , nothing. He handed my DH his card and walked away. I am not a give me free stuff person but I just cut my lip on your glass and you don't even offer to pay for that drink! We laughed it off and were seated about 30 min. Later.
I ordered a steak medium rare and another martini. The other couple ordered as well. Service was painfully slow but we did not really care since we were talking. Our drinks took 30 minutes to arrive . Our entrees about an hour. I had ordered my steak plain with no seasoning and my veggies dry. I cut the steak open and it was well done not medium rare . My friends steak was also well done but told them she would eat it since she was hungry. Her husband did not get the lobster tail add on he ordered. I sent mine back because I hate well done . I reminded them again I did not want seasoning.

20 minutes later it comes out. It is medium well and has seasoning on it. I give it back and tell them forget it. The manager asks if there is anything he can get me. I tell him shrimp cocktail because it's quick and maybe a side salad. He brings both.

The bill comes. We were charged in full minus my steak. The manager charged me for the shrimp and side salad that he offered to me. Friend was charged for lobster tail that was never brought even though it was asked for 3 times and they had charged us for another round of drinks we ordered that never arrived

Flagged down the manager and said it was unacceptable . Charged for things we never got and shrimp be offered to get me because my meal came out wrong twice. He took off the lobster and drinks we did not get.
Personally, I would write a review on Yelp, post it on the chains facebook page AND tweet the company about it. Your drink should have been comped and your meal should have been comped. Your friend should have sent back the over cooked steak. The extra drinks and the lobster should have been taken off the tab.
scrapquitler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:48 PM   #35
diznee25
"Curse you perry the platypus!"

OP: What an awful experience! I hope you did NOT leave a tip.
If DH and I had been in your shoes, we would not have tipped, and we wouldn't have felt guilty about it either.

diznee25

diznee25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:06 PM   #36
okeydokey
Frosty the Snowman scared me as a child
It will always be beautiful no matter what it looks like naked

Quote:
The manager's response was fine to me. Problem with the drink - he had it replaced. Problem with the steak - he took it off your bill. Problem with the lobster - he took it off your bill.

I don't understand the point of view that because you had problems with certain items that other items should be free. If you went to Macy's and had a problem with a toaster, should they comp the set of pots and pans that you also bought?
I disagree. If I ordered an item and never received it, them taking it off the bill doesn't make it all OK. I ordered the item because I wanted to eat it. I believe that a good manager that wants to ensure you will return to the business would have tried a little harder to make the customer happy.

I would have assumed that the manager offering the salad and shrimp was doing just that, trying to make up for the previous mistake. I would never have expected to see those things on the bill.
okeydokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:07 PM   #37
maelstrom
DIS Veteran

The martini in the broken glass, the steak, the lobster tail, the round of drinks you never got, the salad, and the shrimp cocktail all should have been comped. A free dessert should've been thrown in as well. At the restaurant where I worked, servers had the authority to take things off the bill (mostly because I don't think the managers wanted to be bothered), and those are the things that I would've comped, and I would've asked to bring you a free dessert. Your whole restaurant experience was unacceptable. I would write a letter/email to corporate and write on their Facebook and Twitter.

I'm wondering if this was Texas Roadhouse? They seem to be popping up everywhere lately.

Next Trip: May 2013 at Port Orleans French Quarter

Got Married! October 1, 2011 in Atlantic City!
maelstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:33 PM   #38
familyoffive
DIS Veteran

OP, this is on you. Who willingly waits 2 hours to be seated? New place, holiday dining season, not a recipe for a great meal. Give the place a couple of months and try again. As for calling corporate, what exactly do you want out of it?
familyoffive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:45 PM   #39
Fire14
Spartan Living in land of Buckeyes.

I was going to say sounds like my multiple trips to outback steakhouse. I've had excellant meals and service at Texas roadhouse.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:51 PM   #40
tasha99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by familyoffive View Post
OP, this is on you. Who willingly waits 2 hours to be seated? New place, holiday dining season, not a recipe for a great meal. Give the place a couple of months and try again. As for calling corporate, what exactly do you want out of it?
Ridiculous. Just because you wouldn't wait that long, doesn't excuse that level of poor service.
tasha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:54 PM   #41
Mickeyrella
Mouseketeer

Quote:

I agree with this comment. Plus it's not like they purposely cut your lips. The manager did all I would expect a manager to do.
Mickeyrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:57 PM   #42
horseshowmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazer2892 View Post
As a server in a family owned bar her drink would have been comped and replaced no questions asked and the next round would have been on us as well. There is no reason a Med Rare recook should have taken more then 10 minutes, since they couldn't have pulled the next med rare steak and given it to her. And since it was wrong both times it should have been comped as well as her replacement food. It goes with out saying the lobster tail would have been comped as would the drinks that weren't ordered. Now, for the friends food, since she didn't want to have it recooked, or ordered something else (I understand why) and just ate it her steak I understand why her's wasn't comped.
I personally, would have just comped the entire meal and drinks, bought them dessert, and apologized. The entire experience was terrible and it was the restaurants fault, they should have taken the hit and at least tried to make things right and hope they come back
This is exactly how it should be handled. As a customer I would I would have appreciated that management accepted responsibility and attempted to resolve the issue. I would be back, and I would tell others how impressed I was with the customer service at this restaurant.

The other restaurant? OP, if you want to get their attention, send an actual letter to corporate. People seldom take the time to do that, and they will realize that you are upset. You will more than likely hear from somebody shortly after. And you should.
horseshowmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:49 PM   #43
meggiebeth
Have faith in your dreams and someday your rainbow will come smiling through...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasha99
Ridiculous. Just because you wouldn't wait that long, doesn't excuse that level of poor service.
I agree. Also, just because it is the holiday season doesn't excuse what happened. I don't go into a local chain restaurant and when something bad happens, say 'oh well, it's Christmas time, can't complain'. Cutting your lip on a glass is absolutely terrible and that should never be excused.

As for the wait, we often wait one hour to be seated at a restaurant. It is a sign that it is a popular, good restaurant to us.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

$5 A Day Means Disney MY Way! An October TR
~Our 18 day trip to Walt Disney World. Deluxe Dining Plan, Keys to the Kingdom Tour,
MNSSHP, Epcot Food & Wine Festival and MVMCP all in one trip!~

meggiebeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:36 PM   #44
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazer2892 View Post
I personally, would have just comped the entire meal and drinks, bought them dessert, and apologized. The entire experience was terrible and it was the restaurants fault, they should have taken the hit and at least tried to make things right and hope they come back when it's
And truthfully it wouldn't be much of a hit.

My father, grandfather and great uncle were fanatical about their restuarants reputation. And this was way before the internet or social media was around.
They understood that bad PR could and has shut down a restaurant quick, fast and in a hurry.
We never got mad at complainers, the people who complain to us actually gave us an opportunity to rectify the problem and win them over.
Like I said originally, had some one hurt themselves in our restuarant, we would have been falling over ourselves to make it right. Literally to where they would have got white glove service.

We'd much rather eat a 75 dollar meal than take the chance and have some one write a letter saying how awful we were.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:50 PM   #45
mfd25wife
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire14 View Post
I was going to say sounds like my multiple trips to outback steakhouse. I've had excellant meals and service at Texas roadhouse.
I wondered if it was Outback. I haven't had bad service, but they have always told me that their cooks cook a level more than you request so request rarer than you like, and they get it right. That seems silly, IMO. If you know they overcook them, retrain the cooks, not the customers.
mfd25wife is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: