Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2012, 02:47 PM   #1
jhaig
I'd bet you'd be hungry if we were having Tony-loaf

I Wanna Try DL, Family Not So Sure

Here's my dilemma - I would like to take the family to DL next year. However, after several trips to WDW, they are afraid that they will be disappointed and aren't sure they want to pass up another trip to WDW where everything is familiar. My argument is that DL is just a different way to enjoy the Disney magic, and in the park that Walt himself built. I would really like them to be open about going, but I also don't want to spend the dough on a trip where everyone is not thrilled about being there. Do I continue to attempt to sell DL to the family or cut my losses and just plan for WDW?

2007 VWL 2009 VWL 2010 POR Riverside 2011 POR Riverside 2012 CR Concierge 2014 GF
jhaig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:01 PM   #2
kkmcan
Official Mouse Fan

Well, I think its good if everyone goes with an open mind. I don't know how anyone could be dissapointed in DL as it is my all time favorite park and I'm totally biased.

I suggest going to the DL board here on disboards and start reading. There's so much info over there you could spend days there and just scrape the surface. Lots of very knowledgeable people willing to help out with your question/concerns.

Do some research on hidden things to see/do, park planning, food and dining and before you know it you'll be very excited. Maybe you could order the planning DVD and show it to your family. A park map would be good too for you and your family to peruse- get a feel for the park a bit. Then get a gauge for how everyones feeling about it then.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Disneyland 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007
DCL 4 night Nov. 2006 + WDW Nov. 2006
We got DL AP's!! Trips: 6/08, 10/08, 1/09, 3/09
DL + Trick or Treat Party 10/09
DCL 3 night + WDW Free Dining Dec 16-25 2009 Disneyland 6/2010 Using our GAD Vouchers!
DCL LA 2 day cruise to no where 1/2011
DCL 7 Night Mexican Riviera KSF 3/20/2011
DL AP's Trips:10/2011, 1/2012, 3/2012, 10/2012
WDW, Discovery Cove, Aquatica 05/2013
Aulani Hawaii 03/2014
kkmcan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-26-2012, 03:07 PM   #3
jhaig
I'd bet you'd be hungry if we were having Tony-loaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkmcan View Post

Do some research on hidden things to see/do, park planning, food and dining and before you know it you'll be very excited. Maybe you could order the planning DVD and show it to your family. A park map would be good too for you and your family to peruse- get a feel for the park a bit. Then get a gauge for how everyones feeling about it then.
I've shown them the maps, guidebooks, and the planning DVD already. I just think that WDW has been so wonderful on each of our trips that they're afraid to try something new. Granted, I'm not gonna complain if we do end up going back to WDW (who would?) but I thought something new might be fun.

2007 VWL 2009 VWL 2010 POR Riverside 2011 POR Riverside 2012 CR Concierge 2014 GF
jhaig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:13 PM   #4
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

DLR is wonderful. Some of the attractions that have the same name at WDW are so much better at DL. Like PoTC - much longer and more interesting. And you can walk between DL and California Adventure. And you can walk to the DL hotels, too. Everything is much more compact in DL than WDW.

It's been a few years since we went to DL, but I just loved it.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:29 PM   #5
larryz
Looking for the perfect vacation

It's really simple.

Who's paying for the vacation?

larryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:34 PM   #6
wallawallakids
DIS Veteran

I have only ever been to disneyland (Planning our first trip to WDW this May). Honestly, I LOVE DL. There is something magical about that park. You feel Walt Disney in every aspect. It is intimate and fun. So easy to get around. You can walk everywhere. To your hotel, to MK, to Cal adventure, to DTD...all in the same day!! There are rides (like the matterhorn) that aren't even in WDW. WOC is a great show...only offered at CA. I love the moderate climate, the cast members...some who have been there for 50 years!! They are sweet and kind and tell stories about the park that you have never heard before. There are pictures of Walt all over the place...I think that makes it even more special. It is just my opinion. But I will never stop holding a special place in my heart for that park. It is the first place I took my babies too. The first time they smiled at Mickey. I love it. I can't wait to go back. And I know WDW is supposed to be bigger and better and just amazing...and I am sure it is. And I am positive I will love it there too, but there is something to be said about walking where Walt walked. Not to sound sappy, but to me, it is truly magical.
wallawallakids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 04:00 PM   #7
Jeff & Stacy in NYC
Mouseketeer

Hi! We also wanted to go to Disneyland for many years but were afraid to miss anything going on in WDW. Then, 5 years ago, we discovered the Adventures by Disney forum on these boards. We read a thread about their Backstage Magic trip, and it sounded fantastic. Well, we haven't been back to WDW since 2007! We absolutely love Disneyland!!

Here's a suggestion to get your family to consider Disneyland: the Disneyland Edition of the DIS Unplugged Podcast! They offer a lot of tips and news about this resort. Check out the blog (it's on this site, but i don't know how to put in the link) Wayne Toigo wrote about the Disneyland Hotel; he included some great before and after shots as well as some background information about the resort. Also, if you listen to the latest episode of the Orlando team's podcast, Pete gave a great review of this hotel.

Good luck!

Jeff & Stacy in NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 04:38 PM   #8
AnjieNet
DIS Veteran

We went to DL a couple of years ago and both my DD and DH liked it more than WDW. We were there 4 days, did everything multiple times and still had an abundance of time to relax by the pool, take our time at dinner, etc. Plan on going back next year.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:21 PM   #9
Miandrea
BL II - Red Team
Mouseketeer

My parents are DVC members. We go at least twice a year to Disneyworld...we just love it! Two years ago I had a chance to go to Huntington Beach for business and thought, "Woot! 3 days at Disney Land!!!!" Well...I was disappointed. Right from the parking garage, it wasn't good. We did try everything that we can't do at DW. The counter service was better than DW - lots of good food!

I am glad I went because it was something I always wanted to do. I wouldn't necessarily go back though. My expectations were probably too high.

Good luck with your decision!
Miandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:26 PM   #10
Keurigirl
let's all sing like the birdies sing

It's really silly to think that you won't like Disneyland. If you like Disneyworld, you'll like Disneyland! Moreso, even. Everything is much closer and more walkable. Many of the rides are way better: Space Mountain, Tower of Terror, Pirates. There are more fantasyland rides at Disneyland. You will get to ride Screamin' at Hollywood Studios. There is no mad dash for the Toy Story ride. You get to see Toontown at Disneyland. Plus, Downtown Disney and the hotels are right there, outside the gates of both parks. It's all so easy to get to.

You will feel just as "familiar" there.
Disney Cruises: W. Caribbean 3/12, Alaska 8/12, W. Caribbean 4/13, Alaska 8/13 next trips: Transatlantic 5/14, Alaska 8/14
Keurigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:35 PM   #11
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

I have to agree with the majority of the PPs here. We've been to WDW many, many times. But we've also had multiple visits to DLR and DLP. While all of them have that MK familiarity about them, they are also special in their own right. Every park as rides that are unique. Or rides that are similar, but with a special twist. I don't regret visiting any of them, and enjoy each one for their differences.

We're actually in the early phases of planning our dream trip to Japan, and are adding 2 days at the end of the trip for visits to Tokyo Disneyland and Disney Sea. (Now those will be parks with a difference!!)

And since you don't have to devote a whole week for the California Parks, it's easier to take a day or so and go over to the dark side (Universal).

I hope you all decide to take that leap of faith and go!
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:43 PM   #12
sewingmolly
Mouseketeer

I love Disneyland. I was just there last week-end and had a great time. I think that all Disney fans need to go. I posted my reasons why in this thread http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2881288.
However, as much as I like Disneyland if someone has already made up their minds that they aren't going to like it, they probably won't. My DH has made up his mind that he doesn't like Disney, so I'm never going with him. I don't need him being negative, when I can go with my Dsister who loves Disney.
sewingmolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:57 PM   #13
tjmw2727
Enjoys "mom and me" trips
May just have to dance!

That is a tough one - we visit WDW 2/3 x a year and finally went to DL last March and we all LOVED it. The feel of the parks, waking to everything and the hotels are great. But - there are just the two parks and DTD is smaller so you would have to find other activites that are of interest if you are spending a week/10 days.

Would they want to include San Diego - the zoo and or beaches? Hollywood tours and Universal? We did DL for 3 days (plenty) Universal one day, a Hollywood bus tour one day, Venice beach and the surrounding area one day and then went to San Diego for a few days to the beach and zoo.

TJ
tjmw2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:02 PM   #14
DeaverTex
Smelling like a horse doesn't make you a cavalryman
I'd wear a pair. I might even be able to get Mrs. Tex to wear some
I need to provide sufficient background in every post to make sense

I have to agree that if they've already decided that they aren't going to like DLR, they won't like it. It's actually VERY easy to make yourself not enjoy something, even if people around you are having a ball. Trust me on this one; I'm a professional.

If after seeing some YouTube videos of attractions at DLR, watching the DVD, and doing a little reading on the DLR boards, they're still saying no, then I'd recommend that you just give it up as a bad job. It's not a crime to dislike Disneyland, whether your reason is good, bad, or even completely dumb (like mine).

Good luck, though.

Deaver Tex Mrs. Tex Tex Jr.

7-10 October 2012 - POR
Nothing else planned right now.

DeaverTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:02 PM   #15
KigerKat
DIS Veteran

We just went to DL for the first time this past December, and we loved it! It's a definite must-do!!

Anyone that can go to DL and not have a good time must not be human.

Previous Trips:
October 2008 - Port Orleans Riverside
August 2010 - Pop Century
May 2011 - Pop Century
December 2011 - DL (off site)
May 2012 - Pop Century
August 2012 - Pop Century
September 2012 - Saratoga Springs
November 2012 - Art of Animation
May 2013 - Pop Century
June 2013 - Art of Animation
September 2013 - Coronado Springs