Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2012, 05:12 AM   #16
Cindy B
Have taken some furniture polish and sprayed it in the air, so it smells like I was cleaning
I have been known to eat cookies for dinner
Grew up on Stove Top Stuffing

One of the worst episodes in a very poor season. The Dermot sketch was the only funny thing.

It was incredibly racist as well- and both DH and I said "at least In Living Color was funny" without going racist.

The short Ms. Clause sketch during Weekend Update did get one small giggle.
Cindy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:34 AM   #17
SydSim
Keep Dancin'
Now, if she could just get passionate about remembering to put a period at the end of a sentence

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefmickeymouse View Post
DH and I were just talking about "Sha'Nay'Nay" last night. I miss "In Living Color" too!

"Sha'Nay'Nay? On In Living Color?
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-10-2012, 11:02 AM   #18
avgeek81
DIS Veteran

Target, atleast the one by me, has season 1 of In Living Color for $5. I have all the seasons on dvd. Love the Mens on film and fire mashall bill. I was recently watching the 1st season of A Different World and alot of the Waynes family were in some episodes.
avgeek81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:30 AM   #19
Princess Dolly
Unfortunately it encroached the danger zone

Shocking that a black man would mention killing white people on SNL. I mean that has NEVER happened before.

http://www.guavaleaf.com/video/1102/...e-White-People

I had no issues with Jamie's monologue. In the context of the movie he is a slave and is killing the white oppressors. Big deal. And I know this may be shocking but a white man wrote the movie. And to be honest being hispanic is the new white. But he can have his monologue.
Princess Dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:36 AM   #20
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Dolly View Post
Shocking that a black man would mention killing white people on SNL. I mean that has NEVER happened before.

http://www.guavaleaf.com/video/1102/...e-White-People

I had no issues with Jamie's monologue. In the context of the movie he is a slave and is killing the white oppressors. Big deal. And I know this may be shocking but a white man wrote the movie. And to be honest being hispanic is the new white. But he can have his monologue.
A tiny part of his monologue was about his new movie.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:42 AM   #21
Princess Dolly
Unfortunately it encroached the danger zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraJayne View Post
A tiny part of his monologue was about his new movie.
I figured that was the part people had issue with.

I wanted to add that I wasn't impressed with the episode even Weekend Update was weak.

Last edited by Princess Dolly; 12-10-2012 at 11:52 AM.
Princess Dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:45 PM   #22
goofinoff
These pretzels are making me thirsty!
I feel like we are in the middle of A Very Brady Idol

I found it to be in poor taste. Whenever I hear something like that I think of what the backlash would be if it were the other way around. What if it were a white guy up there talking about killing all the black people (movie or not) and saying "How great is that?" NBC would be in a heap of trouble and the show would, no doubt, be canceled. But that's just my opinion....I personally found it to be disrespectful and in poor taste.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:52 PM   #23
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Dolly View Post
I figured that was the part people had issue with.

I wanted to add that I wasn't impressed with the episode even Weekend Update was weak.
No, I had an issue with the "how black is THAT" part of his monologue, which was almost the entire thing.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:56 PM   #24
goofinoff
These pretzels are making me thirsty!
I feel like we are in the middle of A Very Brady Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraJayne View Post
No, I had an issue with the "how black is THAT" part of his monologue, which was almost the entire thing.
Me too!
Old 12-10-2012, 01:06 PM   #25
mum4jenn
My dd is the love of my life!!
Sometimes I get the FRITO BANDITO jingle stuck in my head and I have to sing it all day!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofinoff View Post
I found it to be in poor taste. Whenever I hear something like that I think of what the backlash would be if it were the other way around. What if it were a white guy up there talking about killing all the black people (movie or not) and saying "How great is that?" NBC would be in a heap of trouble and the show would, no doubt, be canceled. But that's just my opinion....I personally found it to be disrespectful and in poor taste.
I agree with this!
mum4jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:08 PM   #26
mum4jenn
Sometimes I get the FRITO BANDITO jingle stuck in my head and I have to sing it all day!!!

Shanaynay was on Martin not In Living Color
Old 12-10-2012, 01:11 PM   #27
Kim&Chris
dreaming of relaxing & soaking up the warm sun at Serenity Bay....

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofinoff View Post
Exactly.

If it were the other way around, like you said, the white comedian would be spending the next month on an apology tour. Personally, I haven't heard one word expressing regret from either NBC or Jamie Foxx.
Kim&Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:33 PM   #28
hereyago
DIS Veteran

OP here: so some of you are upset that he made fun or sterotyped his own race? Seriously? How is what he did different from Jeff Foxworthy talking about white rednecks, or steve Burns or other comedians of asian descent talk about other asians? A few weeks ago after Sandy hit: fred armison pretended to be Bloomberg speaking Spanish and was saying to be patient with white people because they were impatient with the electricity not on right away,but people aren't upset with that and even then I thought it was hilarious. Snl isn't PC. And yes crazy enough they have been known not to be tasteful.
hereyago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:03 PM   #29
Kim&Chris
dreaming of relaxing & soaking up the warm sun at Serenity Bay....

Can't speak for other posters, but the line that made me angry was the one referencing killing all the whites in the movie, then he emphasizes, "how GREAT is that?".
Kim&Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:10 PM   #30
mum4jenn

He was not just making fun of his own race. The things he said before the phrase " how black is that" were. There were several things he said that were extremely racist. Even describing this racist movie he is in was also full of comments about white people. I have lost all respect for him. And I totally agree with the other statement that if a white person had said anything even remotely similar they would be apologizing all over the place. He will get away with it though.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: