Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 11:22 AM   #1
mrudman
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,368

Help with handmade ball ornaments

My whole family (14 of us, 4 families) went on a beach vacation this past year, and was thinking of making glass ball ornaments as a small gift for everyone as a remembrance.

We (brothers/sil's and I/dh) usually don't exchange gifts to each other, only to our kids, so want to keep this small so they don't feel bad that I gave them something, with nothing in return.

Does anyone know where to get 4 of the glass ornaments on a budget?

I'm planning on putting some sand I had brought home from the trip in them, along with little bit of driftwood and shells we had also brought home.

Thought about trying to find tiny shovels or something but not sure i'd be able to find those.

Any thoughts on how I could write the place/year on them? Had thought about tying a ribbon with a small piece of cardstock with the info, but thinking it might look nicer if I could actually write it on the glass instead.

But what kind of markers would actually write nicely on glass, and stay on/not wear off?

Thanks for any help!
__________________
Me DH DD (14) DD (12)


mrudman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:44 AM   #2
scrapquitler
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 8,393

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrudman View Post
My whole family (14 of us, 4 families) went on a beach vacation this past year, and was thinking of making glass ball ornaments as a small gift for everyone as a remembrance.

We (brothers/sil's and I/dh) usually don't exchange gifts to each other, only to our kids, so want to keep this small so they don't feel bad that I gave them something, with nothing in return.

Does anyone know where to get 4 of the glass ornaments on a budget?

I'm planning on putting some sand I had brought home from the trip in them, along with little bit of driftwood and shells we had also brought home.

Thought about trying to find tiny shovels or something but not sure i'd be able to find those.

Any thoughts on how I could write the place/year on them? Had thought about tying a ribbon with a small piece of cardstock with the info, but thinking it might look nicer if I could actually write it on the glass instead.

But what kind of markers would actually write nicely on glass, and stay on/not wear off?

Thanks for any help!
You can buy the supplies at a craft store like Michaels, AC Moore or Joann Fabrics. You might even find them at Walmart (I know I saw them there at one point).

I saw this you tube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5l2m1CnCF-c and that lady just used colored sharpies to write on them, so taht might be a good option for you.
scrapquitler is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 12-12-2012, 11:46 AM   #3
cluvsdisney
DIS Veteran
 
cluvsdisney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4,008

Michael's, AC Moores and craft stores like that sell plain glass ornaments for this purpose. They might have them in dollar stores too but I can't say for sure.

You can buy a glass paint pen or I think a sharpie would work too. Another option, although a little more expensive would be to get rub-on letters at a craft store. They are pretty simple to use and really nice. But I like your original idea of making a tag and tying it with a ribbon.
cluvsdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:50 AM   #4
NotUrsula
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 15,167

Glass ornaments are lovely, but since you want this one to last and it is likely to be cute enough that kids will want to look at it, consider using acrylic balls instead. They are a lot more resistant to handling by kids and interest by pets.

Also, another way to put the message on is to put the message inside: write it on one of the pieces of driftwood, or put it on a slip of paper inside the ball under the sand, so that it is facing out from the inside.
NotUrsula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:52 AM   #5
3boymthr
DIS Veteran
 
3boymthr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mass.
Posts: 5,401

I was at Michael's not that long ago and they had the glass balls - though hurry as they do sell out of them. They also had some beads/scrapbook ornaments that would probably suit your purpose for something to put in with the sand and driftwood.

Another thing you could do to mark the occaision is to print out small photos of where you went (or a small group photo) and mark the date and pertinent info on back and stick them inside with the sand and driftwood.
__________________
(me) (dh) ds (18) ds (13) ds (11)
3boymthr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:09 PM   #6
mrudman
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,368

Thank you for the wonderful ideas!! Going to head out to Michael's shortly and hopefully they still have some.

I really like the idea of writing the info on the piece of driftwood or printing a small picture out and putting it on the back.. going to see if that would work.

Thanks!
__________________
Me DH DD (14) DD (12)


mrudman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:14 PM   #7
wiigirl
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 15,974

There is also Hobby Lobby...not sure if everone has those though...
__________________
For the love of Disney...
wiigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:27 PM   #8
mrudman
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,368

Ended up going to Hobby Lobby (bit closer than Michaels to me), and bought their last 4 acrylic bulbs. They had nice glass bulbs too, but the glass ones had very small access at the top where the acrylic ones are in halves so I can put bigger shells, etc. in.

I also bought cute little plywood pieces and wide toothpicks.. think I'm going to make a "beach sign" using those, and stick it in there with the place/year.

I'll post pics once I get them done.. hoping they turn out as cute as I'm envisioning in my head, lol.
__________________
Me DH DD (14) DD (12)


mrudman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:56 PM   #9
cluvsdisney
DIS Veteran
 
cluvsdisney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4,008

I am envisioning something really cute too! I can't wait to see them!
cluvsdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:57 PM   #10
v.t.
DIS Veteran
 
v.t.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 935

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrudman View Post

I also bought cute little plywood pieces and wide toothpicks.. think I'm going to make a "beach sign" using those, and stick it in there with the place/year.

I'll post pics once I get them done.. hoping they turn out as cute as I'm envisioning in my head, lol.
What a great idea! I'm sure they will turn out great.
__________________
Mom of The Three Amigos
v.t. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:10 AM   #11
Earstou
The Tag Fairy sends you pixie dust to help you feel better, but we don't do AP rates!
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,743

You could print your photos on acetate or transparency sheets, cut to the size of the ornament and insert them.

To give you an idea of what I mean, I tried to find directions online, but only found this one with a design painted on a sheet:
http://www.hgtv.com/holidays-occasio...nts/index.html
__________________
Contemporary and Dolphin 7/23-8/02/07,Beach Club and Dolphin 5/24-6/5/03, Beach Club 9/94, DTD hotel 2/86, Fort Wilderness 6/77 Kissimmee hotel 3/75
Trips to DL: 6/05, 6/00, 12/91, 11/89, 12/87, 1981, 1965
Earstou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:11 AM   #12
tiggger1
I put vicks on my feet
It really cleans my floors and makes them softer!
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Southestern Massachusetts
Posts: 4,780

we are making melted snowman. I have seen 2 different styles. One was a clear glass ball ornament with kosher salt, pepper corn for the buttons and eyes and a tiny orange cone for the nose....all mixed in the ball...the other was similar but it used some sort of clear epoxy so it all the stuff hardened.. I think we are just making the first one.. super easy!
__________________
Danielle DH :: Emma (9) (5)Chase
tiggger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:35 PM   #13
mrudman
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,368

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggger1 View Post
we are making melted snowman. I have seen 2 different styles. One was a clear glass ball ornament with kosher salt, pepper corn for the buttons and eyes and a tiny orange cone for the nose....all mixed in the ball...the other was similar but it used some sort of clear epoxy so it all the stuff hardened.. I think we are just making the first one.. super easy!
Sounds cute!
__________________
Me DH DD (14) DD (12)


mrudman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:19 PM   #14
mrudman
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,368

OP here,

Finally got around to working on them today, and think they're turning out cute... but can't seem to find an easy way to make a ribbon bow at the top, ugh.

I made one for myself first to make sure it'd work, and turned out pretty good, but having just a small problem with the sand sticking to the inside of the ball. I think for the next 3 now, I'm gonna see if maybe rubbing a sheet of bounce on the inside first will help that.

Here's a picture of mine.. hard to tell, but it's a shark tooth glued to the post under the sign. And inside is sand from the beach, a shell, a piece of sand dollar we found there, another shark tooth, and a piece of driftwood. Those things will be in all the other bulbs too.

__________________
Me DH DD (14) DD (12)


mrudman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:33 PM   #15
cluvsdisney
DIS Veteran
 
cluvsdisney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4,008

It's coming out really nice!!
cluvsdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:31 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.