Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2012, 02:48 AM   #1
WendyWhy
Mouseketeer

DLH vs. PPH?

Our only previous stay (as a family of four) was last Nov. and we were at GCH - it was awesome as our baby needed an afternoon nap everyday and we were psyched to make our first trip really special. We got a room with a bunk bed which our son loved!

Now, for our second trip, our DD will be 2.5y/o and DS is 6.5 y/o - naps are not as crucial and we want to save money. We still want to stay on-site for the MM/EMH.

Thoughts on which hotel is better? DLH or PPH? Any special rooms - i.e.bunk beds, etc?

Thanks in advance!
WendyWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:49 AM   #2
HMANSION LOVER
PIN TRADER

Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyWhy View Post
Our only previous stay (as a family of four) was last Nov. and we were at GCH - it was awesome as our baby needed an afternoon nap everyday and we were psyched to make our first trip really special. We got a room with a bunk bed which our son loved!

Now, for our second trip, our DD will be 2.5y/o and DS is 6.5 y/o - naps are not as crucial and we want to save money. We still want to stay on-site for the MM/EMH.

Thoughts on which hotel is better? DLH or PPH? Any special rooms - i.e.bunk beds, etc?

Thanks in advance!
Going to DLR march 2013 ,first time Can't provide first hand knowledge of either hotel. But since we are traveling from east coast and spending considerable $$$$ just on airfare we are on a budget once we get to west coast. We chose PPH over DLH because PPH costs less. Everything I have read about it stated it it very much a Disney hotel and you will be immersed in the Disney experience while staying there, which is what we are looking for and most probably what you are looking for. Enjoy your vacation

Me DW:: DS15 DD:: 10
1999 WDW Music
2000 WDW Off property
2004 WDW Off property
2008 WDW Wilderness Lodge
2011 WDW Boardwalk Villas
2013 DLR PPH and DLH
HMANSION LOVER is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-11-2012, 12:07 PM   #3
blackjackdelta
Uncle had an "in" with Walt
I love those rainy days with the decreased crowds

We usually stay DVC and the Grand, this last time we stayed at DLH and love it...wife did not like the walk but a great place. We have not stayed at PPH as of yet.

Jack
blackjackdelta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:00 PM   #4
algae
Mouseketeer

How do you want to measure better?

We usually opt for PPH. Fewer $$'s and if you get a theme park view on a higher floor, you can watch WoC from the back. Easy to get to DCA via GC.

DLH is a bit closer to the Monorail, cost more $$'s. Rooms are just about the same as PPH but most have been more recently renovated.

But, now we're DVC at VGC, so we'll likely be at VGC 99% of the time in the future.
algae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:05 PM   #5
furb & dez
City Bear Jamboreers

We're doing PPH this time after thoroughly enjoying the DLH last time.

I do not have high hopes based on the reviews I've read. The carrot for this stay is that our next stay will be at the GCH.
Our first trip to WDW! Had fun, a bit disappointed in the lack of things to keep us busy. Next trip: eh, 5 years perhaps? Don't understand the psychosis of wasting time trying to meet actors in fursuits or princess costumes, but, wev...
furb & dez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:34 AM   #6
WendyWhy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by algae View Post
How do you want to measure better?

We usually opt for PPH. Fewer $$'s and if you get a theme park view on a higher floor, you can watch WoC from the back. Easy to get to DCA via GC.

DLH is a bit closer to the Monorail, cost more $$'s. Rooms are just about the same as PPH but most have been more recently renovated.

But, now we're DVC at VGC, so we'll likely be at VGC 99% of the time in the future.
Better to me would mostly be proximity to the ars and cost - right now leaning toward PPH - wish it could be GCH all the time...
WendyWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:35 AM   #7
Happy 2 B Me
I have ears --just not Disney Ears.

Staying at PPH you can take the short cut through GCH. I am typing with left hand --right hander here so please ask others to give you the route. By the way, the rooms are a bit bigger then DLH. Husband and I did not have the sofa in our room as it was a handicapped room with roll-in roll-out shower in bath area. Having this takes area from the room so no sofa for us. Daughters room had big bathroom area, two queeen beds and a sofa. Very nice sized room. Even with teengaers I am sure you will have plenty of room. (When we traveled with daughter and her BFF who was like a daughter to us-- anyway if we were in a hurry to dress for dinner or a show the girls would go to pool area and shower in the pool shower rooms. I know maybe not a great idea but with teens -- well you know LOL. We had a great time even with out connecting rooms with daughter and grand kids last trip -oh yes son in law was there to (Trip before we stayed at DLH in one of the new rooms .. kids loved to come to grandmas for oatmeal -- even for dinner lol. Grandma got to spend 4/6 nights with grandkids. Life is grand. We do need a microwave due to med needs-- I know but true and have dr. slip varifying. I am not sure if you can just rent a microwave or not. I think at DLH they are in each room. I took the kids to the hotel restaurant one evening , let me say the kid meals were excellent. THE kids make your own pizza was yummy--GS gave me a slice. the staff was wonderful. Everyone helps each other.

The best part of staying at PPH is you go right past the "Earl of sandwich CS restaurant.. I have not dined by there yet -- We just missed the grand opening-- by two weeks. Prices are cheap and the food is great I hear.

One other note---If you decide to rent a car the parking garage for PPH is very close but what ever you do park on the lower level as there are no elevators in that parking area.

No matter where you stay I am sure you will have a most wonderful trip. There are two water slides at PPH pool area. I did not go sown but the kids sure did have a great time. Seems that there was no wait time when using the slieds -- unlike at DLH. Keep looking for discounts on the hotels.

Oh my gosh I have written a book . In closing -- go, enjoy, do a food and trip review upon return home.

Last edited by Happy 2 B Me; 12-12-2012 at 03:42 AM.
Happy 2 B Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:33 AM   #8
specialks
Quickly becoming a Disney addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyWhy View Post
Better to me would mostly be proximity to the ars and cost - right now leaning toward PPH - wish it could be GCH all the time...
The gem about PPH in my opinion is the theme park room view. We have been booked in a standard and I hoped for an upgrade, but I recently rebooked it as a theme park view because after all I've read I can't imagine the letdown if I didn't get upgraded. You should never count on an upgrade, so I decided it was important enough to pay for. The walk involves a crosswalk at a street light, along the GCH driveway then thru the GCH.

DLH has the perk of being recently renovated. Light up headboards, new pool and slides. While I think the walk is a bit longer, you walk thru DTD and have no crosswalks. Also, you've got the monorail right there.
WDW Wine & Dine 1/2 Nov 9-11, 2012 - ASMovies ~~ Jan 26-31, 2012 DLR Tinker Bell 1/2 Marathon - BW Stovalls ~~ DLR Oct 23-26, 2011 - GCH ~~ DLR Dec 7-14, 2010 TR - ResInnGarGrv ~~ DLR Sept 19-26, 2009 - HomSteGarGrv ~~ DLR Sept 13-20, 2008 - HomSteGarGrv
specialks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:33 AM   #9
gunka
DIS Veteran

My choice would be the DH. Much closer to Downtown Disney and the Monorail. New rooms are very nice. Hotel has much more of the Disneyland feel. Brand new pool as well. If the difference in $$ is not an issue than DLH hands down.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: