Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2012, 09:19 PM   #16
LadyBeBop
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty Rohrer View Post
to take the kicking from other woman's piont of view, if she has back trouble yes even the 2 kicks could cause her major problems getting off the plane. this could hold up unloading for everone as the bring in staff to get her off. yes i have been there, nonDisney trip. diffently not good way to start a trip.
If I flew SW, and wanted to make sure I didn't get behind a kicking toddler, I would have paid for early boarding, and made sure I sat in front of an adult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836 View Post
What? 2019 or 2020? Say it ain't so!

You must "sneak in a day" next year. That's an order!
LadyBeBop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:52 PM   #17
LockShockBarrel
Pudge controls the weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBeBop View Post
If I flew SW, and wanted to make sure I didn't get behind a kicking toddler, I would have paid for early boarding, and made sure I sat in front of an adult.
So everyone should pay extra, all children are misbehaved and we shouldn't expect them to behave anyway by what you've just said.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade...but without water and sugar your lemonade is gonna suck.Shut up Brain or I'll poke you with a Qtip!Legally, it's questionable. Morally, disgusting. Personally, I like it!The way to a man's heart is through his stomach. Stab in and thrust upward.

Trip Report Jan 2011: Viva Verde! http://http://www.disboards.com/show...0#post39571060
TRIP REPORT SEPT 2012How do I Flush This? Squared!http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2993886

Feb 2007 Pop Century, Oct 2008 Pop Century, Jan 2011 Old Key West, Sept 12 Pop Century
LockShockBarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-10-2012, 12:03 AM   #18
kdog_1981
Mouseketeer

I'm not medicating my kids (unless sick). Take shoes off!

2011-Animal Kingdom Lodge
2013-BC
kdog_1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:06 AM   #19
MariDisney
Learned a difficult lesson about eating chocolate in the dark!
Had to admit to eating bird poo to get what she wanted
Fully open=cool. Fully closed=cool. Half way=no can do

If there are 3 of you I would put one adult in the seat in front of her. Sorry it was such a difficult trip!!
Mari...A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow is Just a Dream Away...7/98 Carribean Beach ... 1/03 All Star Movies ...9/03 All Star Music ... 6/04 Port Orleans Riverside Honeymoon ... 1/05 Port Orleans French Quarter ... 1/06 Carribean Beach ...9/06 Pop Century ... 8/07 Port Orleans Riverside...9/08 Port Orleans French Quarter...9/09 Coronado Springs...9/11 Port Orleans Riverside
MariDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:11 AM   #20
NotUrsula
DIS Veteran

I don't know if you have a car with you, but if you don't, do you wear PJ's with drawstring waists? If so, you can probably manage to put her in "hobble pants" for the trip home.

"Hobble pants" are a trick I've been using on my kids for decades now. It is named after the method of keeping a horse from kicking or running, called hobbling.

I buy a pr. of drawstring PJ pants that are long enough to dangle a couple of feet past the child's own feet, and for the flight I put them in the pants and tuck just the ends of the legs under their butts. In this position they can comfortably move their feet side-to-side, but they cannot kick forward more than a couple of inches. It's effective, physically painless, and does not tie the child down in any way should an emergency evacuation become necessary.
NotUrsula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:07 AM   #21
tjmw2727
Enjoys "mom and me" trips
May just have to dance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockShockBarrel View Post
So everyone should pay extra, all children are misbehaved and we shouldn't expect them to behave anyway by what you've just said.
No - but if your back is that severly injured that two kicks from a 3yo to the back of a seat renders you unable to get off the aircraft - Yes maybe you should look into pre-boarding or purchaes EBCI.

IMHO a raised voice or a seat kick or two from a child who isn't old enough to know better isn't misbehaving. It sounds like the mom is involved or she would have never posted for help on the return. I would much rather hear the voices of kids - crying or not than the business meetings or over indulgent adults that fly.

The mom has gotten some great ideas and I am sure they will have a great ride home.

TJ
tjmw2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:37 AM   #22
stitchlovestink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjmw2727
Quote:

Originally Posted by LockShockBarrel

No - but if your back is that severly injured that two kicks from a 3yo to the back of a seat renders you unable to get off the aircraft - Yes maybe you should look into pre-boarding or purchaes EBCI.

IMHO a raised voice or a seat kick or two from a child who isn't old enough to know better isn't misbehaving. It sounds like the mom is involved or she would have never posted for help on the return. I would much rather hear the voices of kids - crying or not than the business meetings or over indulgent adults that fly.

The mom has gotten some great ideas and I am sure they will have a great ride home.
how is preboarding going to help????
preboards are seated FIRST! You don't have any option who sits around you...
So, again I ask, how will preboarding help??

I agree with you that this mom is being very proactive and the other woman should not have gone off on her the way she did. But I also agree the ONE movement of the seat the wrong way to someone who has back surgery can cause crippling pain and the bad part is when you are confined to a sitting position and that pain hits, it is AGONY! and it may be something someone else just cannot comprehend. While I understand the child didn't do it on purpose or to aggrevate, please try to understand the 'other' side of the fence. and I TOTALLY agree the other woman TOTALLY handled this wrong. But there are are a few of us that a small jar can cause excruitating pain and sitting is already the worst position for me as it is. By the end of a 2 hr flight I just want off of that plane SO BAD because I am in pain without anyone bumping me. A bump can increase that pain threasehold TENfold. just trying to give a different perspective.

Posted from Disney Forums Reader for Android
stitchlovestink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:31 AM   #23
GrnMtnMan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty Rohrer View Post
if she has back trouble yes even the 2 kicks could cause her major problems getting off the plane.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stitchlovestink View Post
But I also agree the ONE movement of the seat the wrong way to someone who has back surgery can cause crippling pain and the bad part is when you are confined to a sitting position and that pain hits, it is AGONY! and it may be something someone else just cannot comprehend.
But there are are a few of us that a small jar can cause excruitating pain and sitting is already the worst position for me as it is. By the end of a 2 hr flight I just want off of that plane SO BAD because I am in pain without anyone bumping me. A bump can increase that pain threasehold TENfold. just trying to give a different perspective.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjmw2727 View Post
Or not fly at all on commercial aircraft....if a 3 YO kicking a seat could harm your back, then moderate-to-heavy turbulence or a rough landing could cause far more harm. Or the olympic gold medal winner of the decathlon could be on your flight and trip and shake your seat. Or an old man could need to hold onto your seat back to get up and down from his seat to go to the bathroom every 10 minutes. All are pretty equivalent to a rambunctious 3 year old kicking a seat. If you are really in this much jeopardy of an injury, then its time to look into other means of transportation.

On the train, you have a few bumps and sways, but nothing that should injure a person sitting in seat.

Anyway, I have two small children and we've addresses this problem by sitting 2 by 2, one row in front of the other. We put the kicker behind his big sister. On jetBlue, I've also paid-up for the even more space rows.

I suggest bribing a family with small kids to sit in front of you, if it's just the two of you. Some small coloring book or souvenir and a kid won't mind being occasionally bumped.

And sometimes you just have to ignore kid-haters on airplanes. That means preventing/doing everything you reasonably can to keep the kid from kicking/annoying other passengers, but also ignoring those who cannot be satisfied. Some people get annoyed at every little peep they can hear from a small child, all the while having a full volume conversation with other passengers in her row, so that 3 rows forward an backward of them hear every detail of her feelings about religion, politics, and how to raise children.
Dolphin 10/04
DL - Grand Californian 3/06
Disneyland Paris 9/07
Swan 9/08, 6/10
BLT 9/09, 12/10 - Father-Daughter Trip, 10/11, 10/12, 10/13, 10/14

Disney-Like: Atlantis - Paradise Island 3/01, 3/02, 9/03, 9/05, 3/07, 4/08, 3/09, 4/10, 3/11, 4/12, 3/13, 4/14, 4/15

Last edited by GrnMtnMan; 12-10-2012 at 10:46 AM. Reason: clarify/typo
GrnMtnMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:41 AM   #24
GusGus77
DIS Veteran

Do your best and try not to fret too much. If your daughter feels you are really stressed out and tense about her behavior on the plan it could escalate it instead of stopping it. Obviously treats and new toys to play with (like happy meal toys) might help. Of course, I am not against bribing my children in situations like this. When my daughter was young, if I had the opportunity I would briefly talk to the person in front of her. I would tell them I will try my best to keep her from kicking their seat, but if she did, please let me know and I will try to prevent it from happening again. I think this went a long way when she did kick because the person knew I was trying and not just ignoring the behavior and letting my daughter kick away.

Enjoy the rest of your trip at Disney!!!! Hopefully your flight home will be much better than your flight out!
GusGus77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:48 AM   #25
LadyBeBop
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockShockBarrel View Post
No, I didn't say all children misbehave. Most children are great on a plane. It's just a $10 insurance policy just in case you cannot tolerate sitting in front of a kicker. Me, it doesn't bother me.

Quote:

Old 12-10-2012, 10:53 AM   #26
LadyBeBop
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitchlovestink View Post
how is preboarding going to help????
preboards are seated FIRST! You don't have any option who sits around you...
So, again I ask, how will preboarding help??

Unless you got A1, you'll always have the option of sitting in front of someone. 99.9% of the time, even an A4 or A5 will give you the option of sitting in front of an adult.

Quote:

Old 12-10-2012, 11:03 AM   #27
kamik86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Unless you got A1, you'll always have the option of sitting in front of someone. 99.9% of the time, even an A4 or A5 will give you the option of sitting in front of an adult.
When you preboard you board before they even start boarding the A's. The only others that would have been sitting would be other preboards and on some flights there aren't even any preboards at all so someone that preboards could easiliy be the very first person on the plane.

However sitting in the back row of the plane would guarantee no seat kickers.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:13 AM   #28
LadyBeBop
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamik86 View Post
When you preboard you board before they even start boarding the A's. The only others that would have been sitting would be other preboards and on some flights there aren't even any preboards at all so someone that preboards could easiliy be the very first person on the plane.
Me bad (I've never flown SW). I would think there would be enough preboards so that she could board (and sit in front of) another pre-boarder.

Quote:
However sitting in the back row of the plane would guarantee no seat kickers.
True. However is it worth it to be the last one off the plane. Especially when you may have a tight connection? Or even if you want to get to Disney quicker?

However, sitting in the row in front of an exit row would help. You have to be a certain age to sit in the exit row.

Quote:

Old 12-10-2012, 11:26 AM   #29
kamik86
DIS Veteran

OP I think what I would do would depend not on the lady that freaked out but your assessment of the situation. Was your daughter really uncharacteristically anxious/nervous/misbehaved/etc? If yes then she might have an issue flying and something to help calm her might be a good idea. Many adults need to have something to fly whether its medicine or just their favorite adult beverage so I wouldn't feel bad giving a child something to calm them down if they needed it. If not and she was just being a normal 3 year old that got a bit anxious due to a new experience and start of a vacation and kicked a seat a few times I would just watch out for the seat kicking and try to sit behind another family.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:59 PM   #30
stitchlovestink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrnMtnMan View Post
Or not fly at all on commercial aircraft....if a 3 YO kicking a seat could harm your back, then moderate-to-heavy turbulence or a rough landing could cause far more harm. Or the olympic gold medal winner of the decathlon could be on your flight and trip and shake your seat. Or an old man could need to hold onto your seat back to get up and down from his seat to go to the bathroom every 10 minutes. All are pretty equivalent to a rambunctious 3 year old kicking a seat. If you are really in this much jeopardy of an injury, then its time to look into other means of transportation.

On the train, you have a few bumps and sways, but nothing that should injure a person sitting in seat.

Anyway, I have two small children and we've addresses this problem by sitting 2 by 2, one row in front of the other. We put the kicker behind his big sister. On jetBlue, I've also paid-up for the even more space rows.

I suggest bribing a family with small kids to sit in front of you, if it's just the two of you. Some small coloring book or souvenir and a kid won't mind being occasionally bumped.

And sometimes you just have to ignore kid-haters on airplanes. That means preventing/doing everything you reasonably can to keep the kid from kicking/annoying other passengers, but also ignoring those who cannot be satisfied. Some people get annoyed at every little peep they can hear from a small child, all the while having a full volume conversation with other passengers in her row, so that 3 rows forward an backward of them hear every detail of her feelings about religion, politics, and how to raise children.
You're not comparing apples to apples when you say some elderly person may use my seat as an aid to get up and down out of theirs...compared to getting kicked pretty much right in the region of where one has had multiple surgeries... and while it is possible that some could accidentally bump my seat, YES, that is possible...but it is an accident versus something that is 'technically' an avoidable situation. And I am not a kid-hater. I have kids of my own. And you're not going to hear any conversation from me!! I'm hoping to sleep!!
I have as much right to fly in reasonable comfort as the next person and if you watch the news it's the rambunctious children and their parents who get removed from flights. Like I stated before, the lady was wrong in how she approached it but sorry seat kicking is not okay even twice.

Quote:
I assume you don't understand how preboarding works...preboards are infront of A1. So unless it is a connecting flight, the plane will be empty, when preboards are taken on. And some flight attendants have preboards sit in particular spots, especially rows, not necessarily seats in the rows, but particular rows

Quote:
Me bad (I've never flown SW). I would think there would be enough preboards so that she could board (and sit in front of) another pre-boarder.

True. However is it worth it to be the last one off the plane. Especially when you may have a tight connection? Or even if you want to get to Disney quicker?

However, sitting in the row in front of an exit row would help. You have to be a certain age to sit in the exit row.
Not always... and preboards are EXPECTED if not assigned to sit in the first couple of rows of the plane. Now this part is just my opinion, but I think that "they" (as in SW) think if you need to preboard it is too difficult for you to make it to the back of the plane otherwise you could be a part of the general boarding process, so as a medical preboard you are Clearly EXPECTED to sit in the front of the plane when you board. And some of the F/A will direct you to a row in which they expect you to sit while some allow you to choose you own. Just depends on the flight attendants...
stitchlovestink is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: