Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2012, 09:11 PM   #1
funkychunkymonkey
DIS Veteran

What does my guest need to know?

Goin to be having a long term guest soon (3 months, 2 days a week) and want her to feel welcomed. I started writing up some things she may need to know about the aparment but what would you include on a list?
I have:
whats in each closet (kitchen- pet food, cleaning items, Hall: tp, sheets, towels, coat: cords and stuff)
Internet password
how to work the enteraiment system
rules (DOnt feed the guinea pig, use a coaster, no shoes in the kitchen)

I feel like theres somthin im missing.
RIP:
guiedo (guiena pig) bluebeard
funkychunkymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:14 PM   #2
kimblebee
now my thoughts will be worth 5 cents

Landlords name and number in case something happens while she's there. Also, the number for the best pizza delivery place : D
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-08-2012, 09:22 PM   #3
funkychunkymonkey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimblebee View Post
Landlords name and number in case something happens while she's there. Also, the number for the best pizza delivery place : D
OMG! i didnt even think about landlord infromation, I should also include his aparment number! he lives one building over
RIP:
Old 12-08-2012, 09:29 PM   #4
cornflake
DIS Veteran

I'd put together a little binder by room or something and then do the neighbourhood -

Like kitchen (how to work the dishwasher - not in a 'press the buttons, dopey' way but in 'please don't put this pan in the long cycle or please only put this on the top rack' or 'please run as you go to bed' way and where the dishwasher stuff is - if there's a dishwasher - same for microwave, like these mugs don't go in there, etc.), bathroom (toilet paper is in X, if we're out, the brand is Y, feel free to use X shampoo but please not Y), etc., etc.

Also what to do with packages - please place them on the whatever if she sees them when she comes in, where recycling goes, what goes in it, and where to take out the trash and recycling.

Then I'd also do the neighbourhood - a little hand drawn map of like what's left, right, the closest or best ATM, deli, dry cleaners, market, etc., with hours and appropriate take-out menus included.
cornflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:35 PM   #5
funkychunkymonkey
DIS Veteran

I dont think I own anything that cant go on either rack in the dishwasher (Wait, What cant go in there? Im new to a dishwasher).
Totally dont care about toilet paper brand. Been tryin to think room to room but yea its hard
we dont recycle, and I coved mail (even though she wont have a key to check it)
Even though she has a car should I put a bus map in the binder? I take the bus everywere so I dont worry about a map.
RIP:
Old 12-08-2012, 09:48 PM   #6
Bounce_Tigger
Your super-awesome safari guide for the next two weeks

I stayed with a friend in LA for a week last year. She and her boyfriend are very hospitable and gave me a little guide when I first arrived. It was cute and very helpful.

It included:
Their address and phone numbers
Wifi password
Nearby restaurants, attractions and shops (with numbers/directions on how to get there)
Where to find items in their apartment (food, extra supplies, etc)
The numbers/websites for local public transportation

Something else you might want to include - the name of a trusted neighbor, just in case of an emergency that might require it
May 2007 - CSR with best friend and family
Fall 2008 College Program - Attractions
"Grow Eyes For Poachers"
Bounce_Tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:53 PM   #7
cornflake
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychunkymonkey View Post
I dont think I own anything that cant go on either rack in the dishwasher (Wait, What cant go in there? Im new to a dishwasher).
Totally dont care about toilet paper brand. Been tryin to think room to room but yea its hard
we dont recycle, and I coved mail (even though she wont have a key to check it)
Even though she has a car should I put a bus map in the binder? I take the bus everywere so I dont worry about a map.
Heh, some stuff you should only put in the top rack - like some plastic containers and/or lids, some delicate stuff with designs on or whatever, because it's hotter on the bottom rack and can warp/melt stuff.

The mail I just meant like if a package is delivered like the postman rings the bell or leaves something by the door, didn't mean in the locked mailbox.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:43 AM   #8
snarlingcoyote
I know people who live in really carpy school districts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflake View Post
Heh, some stuff you should only put in the top rack - like some plastic containers and/or lids, some delicate stuff with designs on or whatever, because it's hotter on the bottom rack and can warp/melt stuff.
The mail I just meant like if a package is delivered like the postman rings the bell or leaves something by the door, didn't mean in the locked mailbox.
Pretty sure that's an old rule, because the newer dishwashers are evenly hot through and through/ I know a lot of people (including me, LOL) who still just automatically fill our dishwashers that way, but I think that's changed. In fact, honestly, now that I think about it, even I've changed - my vintage tupperware now goes on the bottom rack if it's a big piece. (Strange how I value some pretty ugly stuff, just because it's old!) I think it depends on the age and model of the dishwasher.

OP, what about TV remotes and how to operate them? I know in our house, to change the volume on the TV you have to use a different remote than the main remoted and watching a DVD is an involved process that takes instruction on which buttons to push on 3 different huge remotes!
snarlingcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:50 AM   #9
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

what about room for her food I am sure she has her own food preference
Old 12-09-2012, 08:53 AM   #10
happygirl
DIS Veteran

If it was me all this list would make me feel stupid, like I didn't how to do anything. I would let her ask ?? if she needs something she will.
happygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:14 PM   #11
funkychunkymonkey
DIS Veteran

I wont be around enough for her to ask questions, she will be here days mostly when Im at work so im tryin to be helpful! Oddly enough she eats the same junk as I do, well, mostly.... she hates tofu!
RIP:
Old 12-09-2012, 04:19 PM   #12
dimimi
DIS Veteran

I have never had anyone give me a list like that.
I wonder why she needs a list of rules?
I guess if she is there alone, she would appreciate some of the notes you are giving.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:38 PM   #13
snarlingcoyote
I know people who live in really carpy school districts

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychunkymonkey View Post
I wont be around enough for her to ask questions, she will be here days mostly when Im at work so im tryin to be helpful! Oddly enough she eats the same junk as I do, well, mostly.... she hates tofu!
I'd be grateful, if I were in her shoes, to know where the local pizza joint is, or how to work the dishwasher, or what the wifi password is or which neighbor is helpful and which is crazy.

As long as it's not a list of rules and more a helpful guide to the neighborhood and your house. If it's full of things like "Coffee - the little store on the corner has good coffee. The little store by the green house, not so much." and "bathroom toilet - sometimes it runs and runs. You have to take the top off and unhook the chain when it does that. Mr. Smith, the landlord, knows about it and has promised to fix it by the end of the month." or "please don't feed Peaches, the hamster; if she eats too much she'll die " I think that's beeing thoughtful.

If it's full of "Wash your bowls out before you put them in the washer; it's gross otherwise" or "hang your towel up when you're done and don't waste them" then that's different. I would sort of look at those kinds of notes as being subtle hints to stay somewhere else.
snarlingcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:55 PM   #14
shoney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarlingcoyote View Post
I'd be grateful, if I were in her shoes, to know where the local pizza joint is, or how to work the dishwasher, or what the wifi password is or which neighbor is helpful and which is crazy.

As long as it's not a list of rules and more a helpful guide to the neighborhood and your house. If it's full of things like "Coffee - the little store on the corner has good coffee. The little store by the green house, not so much." and "bathroom toilet - sometimes it runs and runs. You have to take the top off and unhook the chain when it does that. Mr. Smith, the landlord, knows about it and has promised to fix it by the end of the month." or "please don't feed Peaches, the hamster; if she eats too much she'll die " I think that's beeing thoughtful.

If it's full of "Wash your bowls out before you put them in the washer; it's gross otherwise" or "hang your towel up when you're done and don't waste them" then that's different. I would sort of look at those kinds of notes as being subtle hints to stay somewhere else.
i agree!

If you have "rules" in your house, such as coasters and no shoes in the kitchen, that need to be abided by, I would...

Make a list of my "silly pet peeves" and try to make it light hearted. Maybe even include a pair of slippers. Everyone has quirks...but to others they may viewed a bit differently.

If I got that list labeled as "rules", I wouldn't be happy. First, I would use a coaster on a table...common sense. Second, I hate walking on bare feet in my house, so I will leave my shoes on or put on slippers.

I would too include neighborhood info (best of everything and worst of everything) and things the guest might enjoy knowing and not have it so egocentric about your needs. This would make them feel welcome.

Above all, I would first let them know that since I am opening my home to them, please feel at home! Provide your cell or email, if possible, in case something might come up.

I truly believe your heart is in the right place and you obviously want to help your guest, but just be careful how you present it....written words can be interpreted many different ways! good luck!

Last edited by shoney; 12-09-2012 at 07:43 PM.
shoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:16 PM   #15
cornflake
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoney View Post
i agree!

If you have "rules" in your house, such as coasters and no shoes in the kitchen, that need to be abided by, I would...

Make a list of my "silly pet peeves" and try to make it light hearted. Maybe even include a pair of slippers. Everyone has quirks...but to others they may viewed a bit differently.

If I got that list labeled as "rules", I wouldn't be happy. First, I would use a coaster on a table...common sense. Second, I hate walking on bare feet in my house, so I will leave my shoes on or put on slippers.

I would too include neighborhood info (best of everything and worst of everything) and things the guest might enjoy knowing and not have it so egocentric about your needs. This would make them feel welcome.

Above all, I would first let them know that since I am opening my home to them, please feel at home! Provide your cell or email, if possible, in case something might come up.

I truly believe your heart is in the right place and you obviously want to help your guest, but just be careful how you present it....written words can be interpreted many different ways! good luck!
I think every house has rules of one sort or another.

I agree that a whole giant list of petty rules like 'only use a towel X times' would be annoying but I wouldn't have a problem (nor have I had, when people have mentioned or left their house rules for me) with rule rules as long as they're things that are clearly like, the house rules, you know?

Someone I know has a house rule about the curtains to the patio being closed whenever you leave the house. There's a reason for it, but regardless, make sure the curtain was closed. It's their house.

No shoes on in the house here. Slippers are fine, but no shoes. That's the rule.

Like I said, I agree a big petty list is one thing but along with a 'how to work X, this is the good market, etc.,' some rules make sense to me. As to the list in general, it's a long-term guest - if it's a weekend thing, you can just ask and it's less to ask. If it's weeks, someone who will be running the dishwasher, going to the market, using the tv, etc., etc., seems nicer to leave the list and not make them feel awkward about having to ask for every silly thing.

As for the dishwasher thing - I just bought a couple of containers that had 'do not place in top rack' on the tag. My dishwasher also has a top rack/delicate setting, and it's only a few years old.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: