Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 04:30 PM   #361
PhoenixStrength
Waiting for my fairytale!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnmel View Post
Oh yeah, seeing your response to Kat reminds me. What the heck were you thinking, getting a cinnamon roll from Starring Rolls? There are so many wonderful cupcakes to choose from (yes, it's perfectly acceptable to get a cupcake for breakfast ), and everyone knows nothing can beat the cinnamon roll from Main Street Bakery!
I knew I would be getting an awesome cupcake with lunch (coming up next update!), so I wasn't worried about getting one there! Plus, they didn't have most of their cupcakes out yet and were so packed I just grabbed a cinnamon roll so I could get out of there!!

Heat, humidity and a great Mother/Daughter trip! A May TR
Alien Encounter gave me PTSD!! A Dec '14 PTR

Old 02-24-2013, 05:30 PM   #362
PhoenixStrength

DAY THREE, SATURDAY DECEMBER 1ST, PART 3

Once I finished up watching Voyage of the Little Mermaid (which was cute and I'm glad I saw) it was 9:50am, just five minutes before my window started for TSM, so I headed over to see if it was open yet.

Thankfully it was, so I grabbed another FP (for 4:50-5:50pm!) and then got in the FP line. The standby line was 50 minutes at that point, mostly because it had just opened and most people didn't know. By the time I got off it was 80 minutes.

I headed in the building and there was almost no one in the Fastpass line so I walked straight thru to the spot where the lines joined and was let thru to the right side. A few pictures while walking to the line merge:

I walked right up the stairs and then stopped there as there was finally a line. I took a few pictures thru the windows up there:

After just a few minutes I was boarding my vehicle and on my way!

I tried to take a picture of the final screen where they show the score but since it's in 3D it didn't show up very well!

Here is a better shot of my score, which was the best in the car!

A couple of pictures as I waited to be able to get out of the vehicle.

I was off TSM by 10:15am and headed down Pixar Place further until I ran into Backlot Tour. Since I've heard so many rumors that it will be gone in place of a Carsland (and other rumors as well) I knew I wanted to do it again in case I didn't get another chance. There was almost no wait at all, so I got in line and admired all of the memorabilia from Pearl Harbor (the movie!) on the wall.

I was soon in the next area where they re-enact the scenes from movies. They had 4 girls, college age, who were pretty funny the whole time. Some pictures of the scenes being filmed.

CONTINUED IN THE NEXT POST

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-24-2013, 05:40 PM   #363
PhoenixStrength

We then moved on to the warehouse portion, though everyone was walking fast so I only managed to get a few good pictures, and a bunch of blurry ones!

We then were seated on the tram and waited a few minutes for the girls from the scene to join us. Then once they did we waited still as one of the tram doors wasn't working and they couldn't get it to go down. They fixed it after about 5 more minutes, which by then the next group was already there and waiting for their tram. We left and toured the property and Catastrophe Canyon. I took a bunch of photos, so here they are!

After the tour we walked thru the AFI building but none of my pictures turned out well. I was starting to get hungry so I decided to get some lunch since it was 11am-ish. On my way to lunch I walked down the Streets of America and saw my first hint of The Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights, though they were off of course!!

NEXT TIME: WHERE TO EAT LUNCH???

Old 02-24-2013, 08:24 PM   #364
ronnmel
DIS Veteran

Just looking at the TSM pictures makes me happy.

I'm glad that I saw Backlot Tour once, but I'm totally fine with never seeing it again and having it replaced with something new.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:33 PM   #365
PhoenixStrength

Quote:
Just looking at the TSM pictures makes me happy.

I'm glad that I saw Backlot Tour once, but I'm totally fine with never seeing it again and having it replaced with something new.
Makes me happy too, and miss DHS!!!!

I miss the old Backlot, before LMA took half of the area and they got rid of so much of it. Did you ever see that version?? I'll miss that if Backlot goes away, but not this new, short version.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:47 PM   #366
ronnmel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixStrength View Post
Makes me happy too, and miss DHS!!!!

I miss the old Backlot, before LMA took half of the area and they got rid of so much of it. Did you ever see that version?? I'll miss that if Backlot goes away, but not this new, short version.
The first time I ever went to a Disney park other than Magic Kingdom was in 2009, and the only time we did Backlot Tour was in 2011, so I've only seen the new version. I'm sure it would have been nice to see the rest.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:52 PM   #367
PhoenixStrength

Quote:
The first time I ever went to a Disney park other than Magic Kingdom was in 2009, and the only time we did Backlot Tour was in 2011, so I've only seen the new version. I'm sure it would have been nice to see the rest.
I saw the old, full version twice as a teenager, but it's been the abbreviated version each time as an adult.

Old 02-24-2013, 10:07 PM   #368
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Just once I want to get over 100,000 on TSM.

Great photos of the Backlot Tour. We really need to do that one more time before it closes if possible; I don't think we've done it for about five trips now.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:43 AM   #369
PhoenixStrength

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
Just once I want to get over 100,000 on TSM.

Great photos of the Backlot Tour. We really need to do that one more time before it closes if possible; I don't think we've done it for about five trips now.
I'm sure you will! You are taking plenty of trips this year, you can get lots of practice in!

I definitely wanted to get Backlot in just in case it is gone before I make it back.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:43 AM   #370
Pluto0809
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixStrength View Post
I've never been in a REAL hot air balloon either, though I've done Characters In Flight at DTD twice.

I thought PP+ was easy to use, though I'm sure it would have been harder during a busier time since you do have to get your photo from the ride photo pick-up and if they were busy it would take a while. Never took me more than a few minutes.
Quote:
We had no problem using it during our trip early January. Now granted we didn't go on many rides with PP+ during the first few, busiest days of the trip. Usually there would be only a few people in front of us, sometimes none at all. If the line got bigger, they'd send more CMs.
Thanks guys! I'm pretty sure I'm going to preorder for my October trip. I'm also going to talk to my SIL about splitting one when we go next January. She loves buying the ride photos so this will be perfect for us.

Now onto the update.....

So glad that TSM was finally up! Great score.

I'm definitely going to go on the Backlot Tour on Sunday. Like you I want to catch it just in case it closes. I wish they would let you spend more time looking at the props in the warehouse. That's one of the best parts of the tour. I also love the quick glimpse you get of the costume area.

Hmmm... is your lunch an ADR? If so I'm going to guess Mama Melrose.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:42 AM   #371
PhoenixStrength

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluto0809 View Post
Thanks guys! I'm pretty sure I'm going to preorder for my October trip. I'm also going to talk to my SIL about splitting one when we go next January. She loves buying the ride photos so this will be perfect for us.

Now onto the update.....

So glad that TSM was finally up! Great score.

I'm definitely going to go on the Backlot Tour on Sunday. Like you I want to catch it just in case it closes. I wish they would let you spend more time looking at the props in the warehouse. That's one of the best parts of the tour. I also love the quick glimpse you get of the costume area.

Hmmm... is your lunch an ADR? If so I'm going to guess Mama Melrose.
PP+ is wonderful, so you will not regret it!

I was so happy TSM was up!

I wish you had more time in the warehouse too. The props are so nice but you just get a glance as you are hustled past them. I really like riding thru the costume area.

I am hoping to get the next update up later today, so you will see where I ate lunch at then!

Old 02-26-2013, 04:46 PM   #372
PhoenixStrength

DAY THREE, SATURDAY DECEMBER 1ST, PART FOUR

Once I finished with the Backlot Tour, perhaps for the last time, I was pretty hungry. It was about 11am so the CS places were just opening. I headed down the Streets of America and cut thru to here:

I’m not a big fan of any of the CS places in DHS, but Pizza Planet is pretty good in comparison to the others. They were literally just opening so there were only a couple of people in line ahead of me, and no one sitting down yet. I ordered my lunch and soon had it in hand. I ordered the Pepperoni Pizza with Caesar Salad and the special holiday-only Gingerbread Cupcake for dessert.

It was all very good. I actually had to wait a few minutes to eat my pizza as it was just finished and very hot and melty still! While I ate that I also took some pictures. I usually sit outside here, but decided to stay inside for that meal.

Once my pizza and salad were gone I tackled this next:

In short, it was DELICIOUS!!!! Seriously, it was possibly the best cupcake I have ever had. The gingerbread flavor was strong, but not overpoweringly so. The cream cheese frosting was sweet but not overly sugary and worked perfectly with the gingerbread flavor. And that Mickey Santa with hat was colored white chocolate and yummy too. I really loved it!

Once I finished eating I headed next door to watch this:

I can’t believe I had never done this before the previous trip in February. I really enjoy it. There wasn’t really a line, just walked right in to the holding area before you go in the theater. I did have time to take a few pictures though!

I was soon in the theater and sitting near the back. While everyone was still loading into the theater I took a few more pictures.

I enjoyed the mayhem that ensued during the show. Afterward I walked over to Echo Lake to try out Star Tours again. I used to love it, but when I rode it in February it gave me a headache. That was the first time since they had refurbed it the 3D version and I was hoping it was just a coincidence since I do enjoy the story.

I was happy to find it had no line, probably because a lot of people were eating lunch at that time. I walked slowly taking pictures while no one was behind me.

I discovered another reason why there weren’t many people in line right then. There was a Jedi show going on. I could see it a bit from the line.

I headed inside and started taking pictures in there. There was no line still for the first part, but people were coming inside behind me so I tried not to walk so slow.

I was soon watching the pre-boarding video.

CONTINUED IN THE NEXT POST

Old 02-26-2013, 04:51 PM   #373
PhoenixStrength

I boarded Star Tours and rode it once again. I was not the rebel spy, though I did get a new part of the sequence that I hadn’t in February. However one thing didn’t change, and that was how horrible I felt when I got off. I instantly had a headache and my stomach was bothering me a bit. This is very weird for me, as I have never gotten sick from any ride or 3D movie/ride I have ever done. I’ve done some crazy roller coasters, tons of motion-simulator rides, 3D movies and rides and none of them have ever bothered me, but Star Tours does.

I wound up sitting on a bench around the corner for about 10 minutes. I wasn’t feeling much better so I thought I’d get something easy to eat to see if that helps. I got a banana and bottle of water from a nearby stand and sat and ate that. A few minutes after eating I felt a little better and decided to try an attraction that would be easy on my stomach and head. But first I walked by Academy of Television Arts and Sciences Hall of Fame.

There are busts there of all kinds of stars, including Oprah, Betty White, Bob Hope, Bea Arthur, and of course…

Walt!!

I walked past the Fantasia Mickey Hat and stopped by a PP for a few pictures. The first two of me are my camera, the last one is from the PP.

I’m really not a fan of that stage in front of the hat, it makes the pictures look weird. And you can see that the sky was not looking very pretty at all!

The attraction I was going to try so I could still do things without feeling even sicker? The Great Movie Ride!

I took some pictures as I walked in of the props and clothes from movies of the past.

And one of the wall in the line with the movie screen to watch the trailers while waiting.

I only had about a 5-7 minutes wait time before I was boarding my ride vehicle, and it only took that long due to loading and unloading a couple of guests in wheelchairs. No real line there. Once we were all boarded we took off for a drive thru the movies!!

When we stopped here I was slightly disappointed, because I was once again getting the gangster scene. I have NEVER gotten the cowboy version and really hope to at some point. I know I could ask the CM if it’s possible, but I always forget until I’m already boarded and it’s too late!

Our vehicle was high jacked by a horrible gangster….

And then we were on our way again.

Thankfully our kidnapper got greedy when he saw a large jewel….

And got his comeuppance!!

We then continued our journey, winding up in Oz!

I always enjoy my ride on GMR, even if I do always get the Gangster scene. And I was feeling much better after sitting and relaxing for a while. I still had a bit of a headache, but it was much less and my stomach feels fine. Where should I head to next????

NEXT TIME: POOH, JACK AND ROCK N ROLL!!!

Old 02-26-2013, 10:17 PM   #374
ronnmel
DIS Veteran

The little green alien looks weird from that angle.

I cannot do Star Tours. It makes me feel nauseous. I'm not that big a fan of Star Wars anyway, so that's usually when we split and I go do my beloved drawing class. I'm sorry it made you sick as well.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:14 AM   #375
PhoenixStrength

Quote:
The little green alien looks weird from that angle.

I cannot do Star Tours. It makes me feel nauseous. I'm not that big a fan of Star Wars anyway, so that's usually when we split and I go do my beloved drawing class. I'm sorry it made you sick as well.
I really like Star Wars, so it bums me out that I won't be able to ride Star Tours anymore. I really enjoyed the old version and was so looking forward to the new version since it could have so many different scenarios, but the headache afterward ruins a good chunk of the day.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: