Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2012, 08:48 AM   #16
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonabe View Post
They could not offer free dining at all and then you could just pay for what you want. Sorry, but complaining about something that is free seems a little much to me.
You can hardly consider it FREE. It is an incentive based on rack room rates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamimb View Post
I can understand where your coming from!! It would irritate me as well to think that someone staying in a moderate and paying less was getting more!
This makes sense to me. The DDP should be based on your rack rate not room type.

But, I guess if you can get a suite, and save yourself from getting two rooms or a deluxe with more space... Then maybe that is a good reason for QSDP.

Does a value suite cost more than two rooms in a moderate? If it costs the same, then you really have a gripe.
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:57 AM   #17
chartle
DIS Veteran

I think there is too much stress put on the word a room or suite here. A family suite at a value is just 2 regular rooms connected together with a counter, small frig and microwave added. For that (at least last time I checked) you pay $10 more a night for.

If you get the free TS plan because your one "room" cost more, what about the guy down the hall that just gets 2 connecting rooms and only pays just a little less?

Also FD is not something that they are obligated to offer. Its a room discount like any other and is designed to get "head in beds" that's it and they are going to work it however they can to make it cost effective.

As I recall FD used to be only a few weeks a year to get people to go to WDW the first couple weeks of the fall hurricane season. They kept expanding it until now people are addicted to it and just can't stop. What ever happened to WDW offering less discounts?

Last edited by chartle; 12-09-2012 at 09:09 AM.
chartle is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-09-2012, 09:02 AM   #18
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I can totally see where the OP is coming.

Once upon a time when Disney offered Free Dining everyone got the same dining plan regardless of where they were staying. A lot of people get the free dining but stay in a value resort. Disney said wait a minute we are really losing money on this and then only started offering the quick service plan to those who stayed in values probably in an attempt to get them to shell out more money and stay in a moderate to get the regular dining or shell out more money and upgrade to the regular dining out right.
When it first came out I had read stories that locals where booking a value room and "filling it" just to get the dining credits and not even going to the parks at all. Remember it used to be only a one day ticket so they would even eat the cost of the ticket and make out.

Similar reason why you can't get free dining at a campsite. They can hold 10 people.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:05 AM   #19
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrook View Post
Does a value suite cost more than two rooms in a moderate? If it costs the same, then you really have a gripe.
As just posted, a value suite costs just a little more than 2 value rooms. Since value rooms are cheaper no.

Though I think the suites at AoA are more than the suites at ASMu but they are more because they are new and can charge more.

Last edited by chartle; 12-09-2012 at 09:27 AM.
chartle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:12 AM   #20
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartle View Post
As just posted a value suite costs just a little more than 2 value rooms. Since value rooms are cheaper no.

Though I think the suites at AoA are more than the suites at ASMu but they are more because they are new and can charge more.
Thanks for the info. Plus that is the best answer for the OP.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:26 AM   #21
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks for the info. Plus that is the best answer for the OP.
Now even the cheapest value suite is probably more than a room at a mod that can hold 5 with the trundle bed but if they make an exception here you get back to the guy who gets just 2 value rooms for the same 5 people because he really doesn't need the few extras a value suite gives you.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:10 AM   #22
Bob NC
DIS Veteran
I am a trained professional
$7.61
Wilma Flintstone can vacuum my floors with a baby elephant anyday!

Quote:
I can understand where your coming from!! It would irritate me as well to think that someone staying in a moderate and paying less was getting more!
This is another one of those cases where everyone cannot get everything they want every time.
Bob NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:10 AM   #23
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

You cant compare the price of a single mod room to the suite. Comparing the cost of two mod rooms to a suite is around the same.
Book two rooms at a mod and get the regular ddp.

You have options... You just dont seem to like them.

aaarcher86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:14 AM   #24
gigi1313
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I can totally see where the OP is coming.

Once upon a time when Disney offered Free Dining everyone got the same dining plan regardless of where they were staying.
That's because once upon a time, Disney Dining Plan was the "lowest" dining plan... QSDP had not been introduced yet!
PC & GF CL Jan '11POR Nov '11 DCL Fantasy May '12 BWalk&ASM Jan '13 PC Sept '13
DCL Magic B2B Jan '14
gigi1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:27 PM   #25
Patrickprincess
HAVE A MAGICAL DAY

free dinning

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi1313 View Post
That's because once upon a time, Disney Dining Plan was the "lowest" dining plan... QSDP had not been introduced yet!
I got free dinning and i'm not going to complain. Disney dosen't have to even have to offter free dinning. I saved $458.12. We live in a world today that some people think they are entited to everything free. I don't know about those people but like i said i'm thrilled to get free dinning and i don't worry that some may be paying less and getting more. I'm happy that i get to go WDW and not not going to let the little things get the best of me. MERRY CHIRSTMAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2012 WDW Riverside Port Orleans Riverside Royal Guest Room. Disney cruiseline The Fantasy. 2007 Disneyland @The Disneyland Hotel. 2006 Disneyland @ The Paradise pier hotel. 2004 WDW @ Port Orleans French quater. 2002 WDW@ Port Orleans Riverside/Disney Cruiseline The Wonder. 2000 Disneyland @The Disneyland Hotel. Disneyland 1999 1998,1996. Upcomming WDW Port Orleans Riverside Royal Guest.
a proud stockholder and a mariner and seahawk fan for life
Patrickprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:23 PM   #26
crashbb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
On the other hand, should I (with only two people in my room) be irritated that her family got free dining for five people (last time) for the same amount of money that I got it for two people?
crashbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:34 PM   #27
jamimb
DIS Veteran

Wow this thread is getting a little ugly! I would be thankful for just being able to go I was just saying I can undertstand why the OP may be a little miffed about it. People take things way too seriously!
jamimb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:55 PM   #28
scojos
I want to be Tinkerbell and fly on the wire to start wishes
Thinks Disney studies should be taught in all schools

for us FD is the difference between doing wdw and not doing wdw....
i "counter" the cost of ddp, and use it to book a larger room... with 5 disney adults options for accomodation are very limited and after doing pors with a trundle... never again!!!
we looked at the suites and they are still small at the value, and whilst some people dont care, for us extra space to sleep is very important.
if you want the DDp, go for a shorter period to a "nicer" hotel. simple. i too believe if its free, dont complain.
2010 - 2 weeks SSR free DDP 1 week creekside villa
2013- 2 weeks okw free ddp[/SIZE]
me dh ds1 ds2dd
scojos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:18 PM   #29
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Wow this thread is getting a little ugly! I would be thankful for just being able to go I was just saying I can undertstand why the OP may be a little miffed about it. People take things way too seriously!
I agree. The OP didn't understand why she was spending more this year on her room, but getting less. It seemed unfair, she lodged a complaint in the proper way, and then came to this disboards to find some allies or at least a better understanding.

Thats what forums are for really, people looking for empathy and information.

I think the logical best answer came from chartle. I learned something from that.

As for all the 'don't complain it is free' comments, I don't get them at all. Nothing is free. It is all part of the price. It is a shell game.

Now, if I got a room discount, paid for my tickets at AAA, and had arranged my DME, and then Disney called and said, "congratulations, we are going to add the quick service dining plan to your account! No charge! Have a magical stay!"

And then someone complained because they didn't get deluxe dining plan... Well then everyone could unload. But "free dining" in this case is not free or a gift.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:55 PM   #30
elfbo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
As for all the 'don't complain it is free' comments, I don't get them at all. Nothing is free. It is all part of the price. It is a shell game.

Now, if I got a room discount, paid for my tickets at AAA, and had arranged my DME, and then Disney called and said, "congratulations, we are going to add the quick service dining plan to your account! No charge! Have a magical stay!"

And then someone complained because they didn't get deluxe dining plan... Well then everyone could unload. But "free dining" in this case is not free or a gift.
Free dining is a DISCOUNT that Disney offers. If the OP is not happy with the discount they got, they should change their plans to get the discount they wanted. Disney has offered discounts based on room type for a long long time now, so it shouldn't be a huge surprise that a lower category room gets a lower category DISCOUNT.

I can understand their disappointment, but if you think about it logically, it makes sense why Disney does it by resort category rather than room price. Im just happy that they DID offer free dining this year. It let me extend my vacation by 2 days!

POR - Jan 2013!!! (1st Anniversary)
All Stars Movies - Jan 2012 (Wedding!!!)
POFQ - Sep 2004, POR - Sep 2003, WDW - 1996, WDW - 1992, Disneyland - 1984
elfbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: