Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 03:30 PM   #16
PlutosUnDr8d
Earning My Ears
 
PlutosUnDr8d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Wiesbaden, DE
Posts: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty Rohrer View Post
do not repeat do not let him start playing with ipod until after take off as all devices incloding DVDplayers had to be put away for takeoff. if he is settled watching how is he going to do with having to turn off and put away? also true on landing. the tray tables will have to be up and closed during takeoff and landing. if you o get him to color look for the nonrolling crayons as they will roll off tray, same with small cars.
Agreed! The iPad is wonderful, until it has to be turned off!
Wonderful apps available for little ones.

For crayons, I melted broken bits of crayons in (lined!) muffin tins in the oven (turn on to 200 degrees, put the muffin tins in, turn it off) to give my son chunky, easy-to-hold crayons that would not roll away. These were easier to hold, and you can combine colors to make it more entertaining.
The little bit he DID color was with these initially.
PlutosUnDr8d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:09 AM   #17
lan3
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 143

We flew when my son was three and he did not color, watch tv or wear headphones either. I gave him snacks and drinks at takeoff and landing. He was mesmerized by the plane and was so easy throughout the flight that I was complimented on the behavior of him and my other two triplets. To me, the hardest part was going through security in MCO. In NY, we purposely flew out of a smaller airport which was great but at MCO, it was very difficult. I am planning to call ahead and see if there is anything they can do about the security situation (disability entrance or something) because the crowds and the instructions were very stressful for him and us. He may surprise you on the plane, my son certainly surprised me. He loved flying. I think the motion and the white noise were actually soothing to him!
lan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 12-11-2012, 12:42 PM   #18
Sparkly

Then a bunch of people started commenting on it
I wondered if people really lived there and got to watch them every night
 
Sparkly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: England
Posts: 2,015

I have a stomach condition which comes with anxiety so I make sure I take the appropriate medicine and go to the bathroom at the last possible moment before we board. I preboard to give me a bit of time to get settled in to the plane before everyone else comes rushing in. Flying internationally, we always get free IFE so I can watch movies and some TV programmes to distract myself during the long nine hour flight from the UK. I also bring a electronic item such as a iPod or Kindle to use when that gets boring and look out the window. I also enjoy a feature on the plane which has a map of where we are going and tells you the speed at which we are flying and how long until we get there.

I'm high functioning and a adult so some may not apply but this is just what I do to cope with the long journey.
__________________

Nov 2003, Feb 2005,Aug 2006, Apr 2008, Feb 2011, Feb 2012, Feb 2013!, Feb 2014, March 2015
Trip reports! :: Feb 2012 TR ~ PTR ~ No Faith in Google Maps, Trust and Pixie Dust! ~ Ohana Means Family, Family Means Dad is Left Behind For A Girly Trip!

Sparkly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:45 AM   #19
WheeledTraveler
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 731

My experience as a wheelchair user at MCO is that the "disabled" entrance to security was the same as the "families with small children" entrance. That one can get backlogged because it puts everyone who takes the longest in the same line. I have to admit, though, that the longest wait I've ever had in that line was when there was only one family in front of me, but they didn't have the ID organized and out for all the children. Once they were through, there was pretty much no wait for anyone who didn't need a pat down, but could just use the regular machines. I took longer because I can't go through the machines so had to wait until they could get a woman over to do my pat-down (why they didn't keep one there is beyond me as it was off to the side from the rest of the lines and getting someone over took 10 minutes or so).
WheeledTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:12 PM   #20
kalimom6
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Montana
Posts: 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by lan3
We flew when my son was three and he did not color, watch tv or wear headphones either. I gave him snacks and drinks at takeoff and landing. He was mesmerized by the plane and was so easy throughout the flight that I was complimented on the behavior of him and my other two triplets. To me, the hardest part was going through security in MCO. In NY, we purposely flew out of a smaller airport which was great but at MCO, it was very difficult. I am planning to call ahead and see if there is anything they can do about the security situation (disability entrance or something) because the crowds and the instructions were very stressful for him and us. He may surprise you on the plane, my son certainly surprised me. He loved flying. I think the motion and the white noise were actually soothing to him!
We had the offer of TSA help. We would meet at the check in spot for our airline and the TSA agent would put us through security faster. We ended up cancelling it as we got to MCO 2 hrs before we had to meet up and decided to just go through security and let the kids run around at the gate, plus eat dinner, flight left at 6pm (this was to go home). Maybe look into that? It was my daughters wish trip and the place we stayed at organized it for us. Not sure how to look into on your own.
__________________
Sarah, mom to M-10, L-8, G-7, Elsa-5(wish child), L-3, and J-17 months
Sea World/GKTW Dec. 1, 2012-Dec. 7, 2012
kalimom6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:16 PM   #21
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran
 
clanmcculloch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 5,565

TSA at MCO does seem to really vary. In August I asked about the families and medical needs line since I didn't see any signs (I like to use it because I figure we've got plenty of medications and I never know if I'll need extra time for DD14 to talk with the TSA agent (she's autistic) and I don't want to hold up busier travellers). The agent I asked laughed and said we're near Disney World and half the people are families so all lines are family lines. In the past there was always one on either side. The trip where we used a wheelchair we just walked over to the family and medical needs line as the sign clearly showed an image of somebody with mobility needs. There was no special shorter line or access. My experience definitely mirrored WheeledTraveler's. There was one time where the crowd was huge and we hung back a bit because DD14 was getting nervous about the mob looking area and we got talking with a TSA agent asking if there was any particular agent who would be more patient wiht DD14. She asked us to hold on a minute and went to talk to somebody and then came back and escorted us to the employee line. We never expected that (I honestly just wanted her opinion about which agent would be more likely to be patient with her because she was getting aggitated by just looking at the mob). This sort of thing can happen but I NEVER expect it or count on it.

For our upcoming trip we're flying Jet Blue for the first time and paid for those bigger seats that also come with access to some kind of expidited line through security. I don't know how exactly that works but that alone is worth the upgrade fee to me. The extra leg room and early boarding is bonus. I can't wait to see how it works.
__________________
Me DH DD(16) DD(13) DSD(32) DSSil (40) DSD(30) DGS(4)


Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010


February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
clanmcculloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:49 PM   #22
kalimom6
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Montana
Posts: 147

I wonder if the employee line was what we would have wnt through if we kept the appt with a TSA agent. Hmmm....almost wish we would have!!
__________________
Sarah, mom to M-10, L-8, G-7, Elsa-5(wish child), L-3, and J-17 months
Sea World/GKTW Dec. 1, 2012-Dec. 7, 2012
kalimom6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:50 PM   #23
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran
 
StitchesGr8Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,447

Can you take your son on a short flight somewhere or simulate the experience of being in a small area with other people for him? It would be awful if you couldn't get him redirected. It would be awful for him, you, and everyone around you on the plane. Every child, regardless of their needs deserves to go on vacation, but from the way you described his development at this point, flying may not be the best option for him. Flying is intense, even more so if you don't fully understand what is going on. And if the people around you don't understand, they might think it is a discipline issue instead of special needs. I've seen people be rude to parents on planes, and I wouldn't wan you or DS to get even more stresses out.
__________________
'86-offsite, '91-Buena Vista Palace, '92-offsite, '97-offsite, '98-Magic Music Days, '06-ASMu, '07-FtW, '09-ASMu,'10-POR,'12-Poly (Honeymoon!)
StitchesGr8Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:02 PM   #24
disney david
DIS Veteran
 
disney david's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Hartsdale, ny
Posts: 3,438

Quote:
Originally Posted by clanmcculloch
TSA at MCO does seem to really vary. In August I asked about the families and medical needs line since I didn't see any signs (I like to use it because I figure we've got plenty of medications and I never know if I'll need extra time for DD14 to talk with the TSA agent (she's autistic) and I don't want to hold up busier travellers). The agent I asked laughed and said we're near Disney World and half the people are families so all lines are family lines. In the past there was always one on either side. The trip where we used a wheelchair we just walked over to the family and medical needs line as the sign clearly showed an image of somebody with mobility needs. There was no special shorter line or access. My experience definitely mirrored WheeledTraveler's. There was one time where the crowd was huge and we hung back a bit because DD14 was getting nervous about the mob looking area and we got talking with a TSA agent asking if there was any particular agent who would be more patient wiht DD14. She asked us to hold on a minute and went to talk to somebody and then came back and escorted us to the employee line. We never expected that (I honestly just wanted her opinion about which agent would be more likely to be patient with her because she was getting aggitated by just looking at the mob). This sort of thing can happen but I NEVER expect it or count on it.

For our upcoming trip we're flying Jet Blue for the first time and paid for those bigger seats that also come with access to some kind of expidited line through security. I don't know how exactly that works but that alone is worth the upgrade fee to me. The extra leg room and early boarding is bonus. I can't wait to see how it works.
It printed on you ticket and you show an employee not Tsa then they will direct you through the employee line. Well that how we did it last time we traveled in oct. it very easy and quick if they do it in the same spot you will have your own X-ray and metal detectors unless their other employees or travelers using the speedy line. The funny thing is we didn't even realize that Orlando had it until we went through and look that other lines didn't have an employee looking at tickets before Tsa. Then we looked at are ticket and it was on their.



Just a tip be ready to say your name and where you are going. They asked us in JFK but lax so not sure if it a random thing or a Tsa agent going an extra step. He wait to we said are name then looked at the ticket and so I guess they want to make sure your not using some one else I'd and try to catch you saying the wrong name and destination.
__________________
www.mentalhealth.va.gov/suicide_prevention

Bring back Walter on the podcast we miss him
CHIP AND DALE ARE A LIST CHARACTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
disney david is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:03 PM   #25
disney david
DIS Veteran
 
disney david's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Hartsdale, ny
Posts: 3,438

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalimom6
I wonder if the employee line was what we would have wnt through if we kept the appt with a TSA agent. Hmmm....almost wish we would have!!
Most likely yes because their they could spend more time answering questions and showing you what happens.
__________________
www.mentalhealth.va.gov/suicide_prevention

Bring back Walter on the podcast we miss him
CHIP AND DALE ARE A LIST CHARACTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
disney david is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:23 PM   #26
mandylou6
Earning My Ears
 
mandylou6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: wolverhampton uk
Posts: 28

we used a wheelchair for our autistic son godsend around the parks he was 10 at the time.
mandylou6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:44 AM   #27
gladdiola
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 67

My DS7 is autistic; he has been on planes 1-2/year since he was an infant. Like a PP noted, snacks and drink during take-off and landing work best for us as well. I avoid anything sugary to minimize hyperactivity. He enjoys the window seat and loves to look out the window during take-off and landing. On long flights cross country we bring electronic devices (tablet with kid games or portable DVD player) that is shared by all 3 of our kids; we find that rotating the tablet between them every 15-20 minutes works well. For shorter flights (<2 hrs), I can hand him a few gluten free pretzels which he has to request from me and he will line-up on his tray before eating. This activity occupies him quite well and it forces him to interact with me, which I like. In return for the pretzels I request high-5s and kisses on the cheek, or I will use it to get him to say words. I also pull out the flight information pamphlet and talk to my kids about all the safety information. Now that they are getting bigger and recognizing words I find them taking the time to look at it on their own during the flight, even my DS7.
Enjoy your upcoming trip OP, your preparation will be well worth it!

For my son, evening flights go easier if he eats a decent sized dinner before boarding. By the time he gets on the plane he is tired from the day and ready to get comfortable or even go to sleep before the plane leaves the gate.

Last edited by gladdiola; 02-09-2013 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Add-on
gladdiola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:04 PM   #28
Lisa71
Adoption Rocks!
 
Lisa71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: So Cal
Posts: 1,034

Our DS has CP and overnight flights worked great. TSA has always been nice to us too even when he was randomly screened for explosives in Kauai.
__________________
Me (43) DH (42) : DD (8): DS (7):
Lisa71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.