Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2012, 07:07 AM   #91
Disney Doll
DIS Security Matron

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytieeldr View Post
How do you feel about public input about how you should do your job?
I'm a nurse, I serve the public. So I expect public input about how to do my job. And we get it in spades. Every patient gets a survey, the results are tabulated and shared with the staff with regard to what our areas of excellence/deficiency are.

And if there are areas of deficiency, no one's giving me a raise, nor do I deserve one.
It's time to put on your big girl panties and deal with it!
Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out.
There's no pill that cures stupid.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
~~In loving memory of Teddy~~1994-2007~~
Disney  Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:02 PM   #92
Feckless
DIS Veteran

finally, I get why Canadians are shocked at the higher tip percentages than what we are used to at home. So, in some places wait staff is actually NOT paid minimum wage by their employers and this is legal, because their salary will be made up in tips from customers??? Is this the case in all states?

Here, wait staff are not exempted from minimum wage, and 15% is a generous tip as a result. Minimum wage in my province is $10 per hour.

Not commenting on OPs question because I'm still processing!

Latest TR in progress: FROM SUNSTROKE TO A CONCUSSION: a Yacht Club Disney "Trip" to Remember http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post50508748

SMILES, SAND AND SUNSTROKE: A May 2012 Beach Club Trip of a Lifetime! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2927334

First Pre-Trip Report: From the North Atlantic to the World http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post43102751
Feckless is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-10-2012, 08:28 PM   #93
mom2of2
Let the good times strolllllll!
Don't we just get tickeled at the smallest things?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feckless View Post
finally, I get why Canadians are shocked at the higher tip percentages than what we are used to at home. So, in some places wait staff is actually NOT paid minimum wage by their employers and this is legal, because their salary will be made up in tips from customers??? Is this the case in all states?

Here, wait staff are not exempted from minimum wage, and 15% is a generous tip as a result. Minimum wage in my province is $10 per hour.

standard hourly wage for servers is $2.13 an hour and yes that is in most states. Some pay more but the majority pay well under federal minimum wage. Out of their hourly wage comes taxes (federal, state and local), insurance, social security, disability and some places union dues. Paychecks are generally under $100. Tips are how servers make their money.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:45 PM   #94
okw2012
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feckless

Where are you from? Many provinces do have a lower min wage for waiters and tax their revenues as if they'd earned a 15% tip on food!
Old 12-10-2012, 10:32 PM   #95
ronandannette
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflake View Post
The way it works here is that they're allowed to be paid as low as $2 and change an hour - on the supposition that it's a tipped position so they'll be earning at least minimum wage when tips are included.

Servers are taxed as if they received I think it's 15% on the food they served during the year. So if people don't tip, they're actually costing the server. Servers also, as others have mentioned, often have to 'tip out,' that is give a portion of their tips each night to the busboys, etc.

The way the minimum wage thing works into this is that restaurants are supposed to make up the difference if a servers wage (the $2.xx) plus tips does NOT actually add up to the federal minimum wage (currently $7.25).

However, in practice, restaurants often say they'll make up the difference later and claim they'll do that like, at the end of the year or when the server leaves employment. Then, because waitstaff has such high turnover, this rarely happens - either people leave before the end of the year and the restaurants claim that's when they settle books, or they just never do and claim they will, and many servers don't know they're entitled to the differential (which is not much some weeks so maybe they don't argue and then don't realize how much it adds up to).
Wow, bad deal. Still I refuse to behave as if I, as a customer, have somehow agreed to the obligation of "topping up" a server's wage simply by patronizing a restaurant. Do I tip routinely? Of course, the standard here is 10% + for excellent service.

Quote:
If you don't tip because your waitstaff just 'do their jobs' you're costing them money. Their salary is meant to include tips. They're taxed on theoretical tips. They generally have to tip out to other staffers.

That's the way it's structured. They are not taking jobs that actually pay $2 an hour - the structure of their payscale is entirely based on customers tipping to provide part of their salary.

I'd guess you're going to say they should find another job if they don't like the salary and they agreed to $2 and whatnot. This job is not supposed to pay base pay alone. It is only people who choose to ignore that fact for whatever reason that refuse to tip.
If indeed the risk of not receiving tips (which, regardless of all this are always optional and at the discretion of the customer) imperils a servers' livelihood, then restaurants (who apparently don't want to and don't have to) pay a reasonable wage should institute a mandatory service charge.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:34 PM   #96
ronandannette
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by okw2012 View Post
Where are you from? Many provinces do have a lower min wage for waiters and tax their revenues as if they'd earned a 15% tip on food!
Google it. There is a separate wage standard for jobs that include tips, but the lowest of those is in Quebec and it is $8.55 hr as of May 30, 2012. (BTW, I'm in Alberta where the actual minimum wage for regular jobs is the lowest in the country at $9.75. Nunavut Territory is the highest at $11.00. For the record, almost nobody, with the possible exception of child care or domestic help would be working for minimum wage in Alberta.)

Last edited by ronandannette; 12-10-2012 at 10:40 PM.
ronandannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:45 PM   #97
cornflake
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronandannette View Post
Wow, bad deal. Still I refuse to behave as if I, as a customer, have somehow agreed to the obligation of "topping up" a server's wage simply by patronizing a restaurant. Do I tip routinely? Of course, the standard here is 10% + for excellent service.

If indeed the risk of not receiving tips (which, regardless of all this are always optional and at the discretion of the customer) imperils a servers' livelihood, then restaurants (who apparently don't want to and don't have to) pay a reasonable wage should institute a mandatory service charge.
The latter is why most restaurants here do have a mandatory 18% charge on parties of 6 or more people, because the risk becomes too great.

People get bent out of shape about that, however - if they tried to institute it on smaller parties I think it'd just cause a mess. It's just one of those 'America is bizarrely resistant to sensible progress/modernization' things - for other examples, buy sugar in America.

Also, if that's the case, wow do I overtip in Canada I know I overtip in Europe but Canada has never occurred to me actually, I just presumed it was more like here in that regard.
cornflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:47 PM   #98
pegrad1
Earning My Ears

As someone who was a server over 15 years ago and probably did that type of work for close to 10 years I hope my answer is helpful.
Trust me when I say that servers feel like crap when they know you didn't get the service you should have. We all should remember that they are people and all of us are bound to make mistakes. Also keep in mind that their wage is around $3.00 an hour. Can you imagine if you made a simple typo at work making a letter or document look unprofessional, that your employer docked your pay? It wouldn't be acceptable would it? I believe that a lesser tip is in order but none at all? I feel that is rude & well, not so nice. A lesser tip lets your server know that the service should have been better. Trust me when I say, they already know it but a $1 or $2 tip will remind them to focus & work harder for the next party. And they will.

pegrad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:57 PM   #99
ronandannette
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Also, if that's the case, wow do I overtip in Canada I know I overtip in Europe but Canada has never occurred to me actually, I just presumed it was more like here in that regard.
Yep, that's likely why the servers hug you when you leave...and here you probably just thought we were super-friendly . You've got me curious about American sugar now too.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:56 AM   #100
cymbaldiva
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyWalle View Post
I didn't say that I never tip. I just stated that I only tip if the server does more than take the order and bring drinks. I stand by what I said -- if they choose that line of work and agree to their hourly pay (just as I have done) then if they want a tip then they need to provide exceptional service. If they only provide basic service then their basic pay is warranted. I'm not stopping them from making a tip -- they are -- if they don't provide exceptional service. The servers dictate if they "earn" a tip -- a tip is not mandatory -- if it were it would be included in the check.

Agreed.

I think that it is beyond ridiculous that it is acceptable that waitstaff are paid in this manner - I think waitstaff should be paid at least the legal minimum wage and tips being a true gratuity for great service as opposed to being demanded by society. As a consumer I pay more for my meal in a table service establishment because someone will be waiting on me. I do not believe that I should be expected to tip for a server doing their minimum job requirement since I'm already paying for that basic service; that's what their employer should cover. As a person though, I felt bad for the servers.

Or I used to... the funny thing is? I have friends that wait tables and I've asked them why they don't consider a job that pays a consistent wage as opposed to worrying about being tips. The answer? "I like the flexible schedule and I make way more an hour waiting tables"

My take away from that? I've stopped worrying about the waitstaff hourly wage. They made their career choice, I tip what I feel is warranted - done.

Last edited by cymbaldiva; 12-11-2012 at 01:15 AM.
cymbaldiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:19 AM   #101
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cymbaldiva View Post
Agreed.

I think that it is beyond ridiculous that it is acceptable that waitstaff are paid in this manner - I think waitstaff should be paid at least the legal minimum wage and tips being a true gratuity for great service as opposed to being demanded by society. As a consumer I pay more for my meal in a table service establishment because someone will be waiting on me. I do not believe that I should be expected to tip for a server doing their minimum job requirement since I'm already paying for that basic service; that's what their employer should cover. As a person though, I felt bad for the servers.

Or I used to... the funny thing is? I have friends that wait tables and I've asked them why they don't consider a job that pays a consistent wage as opposed to worrying about being tips. The answer? "I like the flexible schedule and I make way more an hour waiting tables"

My take away from that? I've stopped worrying about the waitstaff hourly wage. They made their career choice, I tip what I feel is warranted - done.
Acceptable is one thing. In FORTY states, it's the law (and yes, I know not everyone obeys every law; let's not go there ). Restaurant patrons who disagree with this legal wage should hound their respective state legislators to get the law changed.

What you pay for the food pays for the food. Any tip pays for the person kowtowing to you to whatever degree. Standard service - somebody takes your order, brings your items - deserves a standard tip. Better service earns a better tip.

Knowing what is expected/customary in this country, especially one's own state (or a simple online search for a state one is visiting), "I won't tip because _____" as a general policy is just an excuse. Restaurant patrons who don't want to tip can carry out: the convenience of not cooking combined with the restaurant's food.

Not every server makes "way more an hour than...". If every patron had the same opinion (my friends say) and tipped only what they felt, eventually there'd be no more servers.
kaytieeldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:25 AM   #102
declansdad
DIS Dad#639
Still waiting for his first one

Quote:
Originally Posted by okw2012 View Post

Only Quebec, Ontario, Alberta and BC have a two-tiered minimum wage for servers. Ontario only applies this system to servers who work in establishments that serve alcohol, I'm not sure about the rest.
ASM - March 2004 --- POP - July 2005 --- POP and the Poly - August 2007 --- CBR - Aug 2008 --- POFQ August 2009--- POP Christmas 2010--- POFQ Aug 2011 --- Disney Dream and MK March 2013 --- EPCOT F&G March 2013 --- Pop July 2013 --- AK March 2014

me dw (pooksma) ds
DIS Dads Club Member #639

Our WDW photos on Photobucket, Our WDW photos on Flickr

declansdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:27 AM   #103
suprgrlx
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytieeldr View Post
Common misconception. Were it true, the tip would have to be given before any service.

If the word 'afternym' existed, the TIPS legend would be a perfect example of it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backronym

suprgrlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:30 AM   #104
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprgrlx View Post
Thank you! A great day is one where I learn something new!
kaytieeldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:31 AM   #105
declansdad
DIS Dad#639
Still waiting for his first one

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegrad1 View Post
As someone who was a server over 15 years ago and probably did that type of work for close to 10 years I hope my answer is helpful.
Trust me when I say that servers feel like crap when they know you didn't get the service you should have. We all should remember that they are people and all of us are bound to make mistakes. Also keep in mind that their wage is around $3.00 an hour. Can you imagine if you made a simple typo at work making a letter or document look unprofessional, that your employer docked your pay? It wouldn't be acceptable would it? I believe that a lesser tip is in order but none at all? I feel that is rude & well, not so nice. A lesser tip lets your server know that the service should have been better. Trust me when I say, they already know it but a $1 or $2 tip will remind them to focus & work harder for the next party. And they will.

You can't compare the way one job pays compared to another. If you enter into an industry that has a system where part of your pay is based on performance and you don't perform, you don't get the same pay.

If the customer is responsible to "pay" the server and they don't get the required service, they shouldn't pay. That would send a much stronger message to the server than simply lowering the tip. How would the server know how the customer would normally tip?
ASM - March 2004 --- POP - July 2005 --- POP and the Poly - August 2007 --- CBR - Aug 2008 --- POFQ August 2009--- POP Christmas 2010--- POFQ Aug 2011 --- Disney Dream and MK March 2013 --- EPCOT F&G March 2013 --- Pop July 2013 --- AK March 2014

me dw (pooksma) ds
DIS Dads Club Member #639

Our WDW photos on Photobucket, Our WDW photos on Flickr

declansdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: