Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2012, 09:47 PM   #76
Hrhpd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytieeldr View Post
I wouldn't tip for anything I hadn't received. That would be ridiculous.

But if I got and drank two rounds of drinks and I got and ate an appetizer, then even though I didn't get the remainder of my order I would tip for what I had imbibed/consumed.
IF I only received part of my order and IF I felt compelled to leave anything, it would not be more than minimum wage. I would not tip a percentage.

Since minimum tipped wage is $2.13 per hour with the expectation that a tip would bring it up to the federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour, I would calculate how long the server worked for the drinks and appetizers and then calculate what I would leave from there.To make minimum wage, a customer should supplement a server's $2.13 by $5.06 an hour.

So, for instance, if I was served for half an hour, I would give the server $2.56. This would be half the make-up to get the server to minimum wage. Also knowing that the server is making more than minimum wage for that half hour (since the server was busy with other tables, so would also be receiving minimum wage for the same hour from other tables), I would not feel guilty at all.

If a server fails to provide adequate service for a customer, they should not be entitled to more than minimum wage.

And my standard tipping policy is 20% for adequate (but full meal) service and more for good or excellent service.

However, poor service would get minimum wage, not a percentage. And in a state where servers already make minimum wage, I would not feel obligated to leave a thing.
Hrhpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:48 PM   #77
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise

My daughter is a server. At the end of the night, she has to tip out several percentage of her total sales to the hostess, the person that buses the tables and the bartender (because he makes the table drinks). No tipping, not only does not provide the server with a tip, it actually takes money out of the servers pocket. They tip out whether or not you think you should tip.

disney1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-09-2012, 09:58 PM   #78
low-key
DIS Veteran

2 bucks sounds about right
Old 12-09-2012, 09:58 PM   #79
disney1990

Obviously, this horse has been beaten to death and there is no agreement.

However, I would never shortchange a server unless I was absolutely positive that the server is the one that caused the problem. The server may not have known that it was the wrong drink simply by looking at it. The kitchen may have messed up the order. Again, nobody knows; it is all speculation. Therefore, I will always give the server the benefit of the doubt. It is always easy to just blame the server. And as we know from the OP, they did not tell the server that the first drink was incorrect.

Old 12-09-2012, 10:24 PM   #80
disney1990

It was Thanksgiving.

The horse has died -- sorry. Not going to continue a back and forth conversation like this.

Old 12-09-2012, 10:25 PM   #81
Hrhpd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney1990 View Post
My daughter is a server. At the end of the night, she has to tip out several percentage of her total sales to the hostess, the person that buses the tables and the bartender (because he makes the table drinks). No tipping, not only does not provide the server with a tip, it actually takes money out of the servers pocket. They tip out whether or not you think you should tip.
In the case of the OP, the server was busy. That meant in the hour the server neglected the OP's table, the server was also earning tips at other tables. Even after tipping out, the server should still earn minimum wage for that hour. Her first $5.06 for that hour would be hers to bring her to minimum wage, the other table tips would cover her tipping out.

You really think a server who is giving crappy service deserves more than minimum wage?
Hrhpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:54 AM   #82
cornflake
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronandannette View Post
OK, why then are restaurant servers not paid at least that much? I've read several times in different threads that they're only paid a couple of bucks an hour as wages, and that's why tipping takes on a whole other dimension.
(Heck, here even salespeople on straight commission need to be guaranteed a draw against their sales that equals at least as much as minimum wage for whatever hours they put in).
The way it works here is that they're allowed to be paid as low as $2 and change an hour - on the supposition that it's a tipped position so they'll be earning at least minimum wage when tips are included.

Servers are taxed as if they received I think it's 15% on the food they served during the year. So if people don't tip, they're actually costing the server. Servers also, as others have mentioned, often have to 'tip out,' that is give a portion of their tips each night to the busboys, etc.

The way the minimum wage thing works into this is that restaurants are supposed to make up the difference if a servers wage (the $2.xx) plus tips does NOT actually add up to the federal minimum wage (currently $7.25).

However, in practice, restaurants often say they'll make up the difference later and claim they'll do that like, at the end of the year or when the server leaves employment. Then, because waitstaff has such high turnover, this rarely happens - either people leave before the end of the year and the restaurants claim that's when they settle books, or they just never do and claim they will, and many servers don't know they're entitled to the differential (which is not much some weeks so maybe they don't argue and then don't realize how much it adds up to).
cornflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:19 AM   #83
DisneyWalle
DIS Veteran

I will throw my hat into this ring.

We eat out in our community about once a week. I only tip if the service is noteworthy. If the waitress just takes my order and brings it out -- then thats basic service which they earn base pay for. If the waitress or server goes above and beyond in taking care of us then I tip well -- even at fast food establishments. I recently tipped my Subway "artist" $5 on $7 worth of sandwiches because she was extremely nice and wrote the name of each sandwich on the wrappers.

My reasoning is very simple. If I just perform my basic job duties at work -- I earn my agreed upon hourly salary. But if I exceed customer service goals than I earn a bonus. If its good enough for me then its good enough for others in customer service. Just my opinion.
2014 Disboard Book Challenge: 40 of 40 completed! WOOHOO!
DisneyWalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:43 AM   #84
cornflake
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyWalle View Post
I will throw my hat into this ring.

We eat out in our community about once a week. I only tip if the service is noteworthy. If the waitress just takes my order and brings it out -- then thats basic service which they earn base pay for. If the waitress or server goes above and beyond in taking care of us then I tip well -- even at fast food establishments. I recently tipped my Subway "artist" $5 on $7 worth of sandwiches because she was extremely nice and wrote the name of each sandwich on the wrappers.

My reasoning is very simple. If I just perform my basic job duties at work -- I earn my agreed upon hourly salary. But if I exceed customer service goals than I earn a bonus. If its good enough for me then its good enough for others in customer service. Just my opinion.
If you don't tip because your waitstaff just 'do their jobs' you're costing them money. Their salary is meant to include tips. They're taxed on theoretical tips. They generally have to tip out to other staffers.

That's the way it's structured. They are not taking jobs that actually pay $2 an hour - the structure of their payscale is entirely based on customers tipping to provide part of their salary.

I'd guess you're going to say they should find another job if they don't like the salary and they agreed to $2 and whatnot. This job is not supposed to pay base pay alone. It is only people who choose to ignore that fact for whatever reason that refuse to tip.
cornflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:38 AM   #85
DisneyWalle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflake View Post
If you don't tip because your waitstaff just 'do their jobs' you're costing them money. Their salary is meant to include tips. They're taxed on theoretical tips. They generally have to tip out to other staffers.

That's the way it's structured. They are not taking jobs that actually pay $2 an hour - the structure of their payscale is entirely based on customers tipping to provide part of their salary.

I'd guess you're going to say they should find another job if they don't like the salary and they agreed to $2 and whatnot. This job is not supposed to pay base pay alone. It is only people who choose to ignore that fact for whatever reason that refuse to tip.
I didn't say that I never tip. I just stated that I only tip if the server does more than take the order and bring drinks. I stand by what I said -- if they choose that line of work and agree to their hourly pay (just as I have done) then if they want a tip then they need to provide exceptional service. If they only provide basic service then their basic pay is warranted. I'm not stopping them from making a tip -- they are -- if they don't provide exceptional service. The servers dictate if they "earn" a tip -- a tip is not mandatory -- if it were it would be included in the check.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:59 AM   #86
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyWalle View Post
I didn't say that I never tip. I just stated that I only tip if the server does more than take the order and bring drinks. I stand by what I said -- if they choose that line of work and agree to their hourly pay (just as I have done) then if they want a tip then they need to provide exceptional service. If they only provide basic service then their basic pay is warranted. I'm not stopping them from making a tip -- they are -- if they don't provide exceptional service. The servers dictate if they "earn" a tip -- a tip is not mandatory -- if it were it would be included in the check.
I hope you have your flame suit handy, you're going to need it. Just so you know, I agree with you. I try to do my job to the best of my ability because I take pride in what I do. I don't need a bonus/tip as incentive. Is it nice when we get a bonus? Sure. But the bonus doesn't make me work any harder.

I don't understand those who say "waiters need bonuses(tips) in order to do a good job". Or "If you don't tip, they have no incentive to serve you well." Bull.
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:16 AM   #87
DisneyWalle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_gordon View Post
I hope you have your flame suit handy, you're going to need it.
Yes, I have been on these boards for awhile now. So I'm fully aware of how heated the "tipping" topics get. But its my opinion. In no other business, would someone be awarded "extra" money for a mediocre job. All the waitstaff in our regular restaurants know that I tip but I expect a certain level of service for those tips --- and they provide it so I tip them well.

Again I will say that tips are not mandatory -- if they were they would be included in the check. Good quality service = Excellent tipping. Basic service or bad service = Zero Tipping.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:19 AM   #88
DisneyWalle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_gordon View Post
Just so you know, I agree with you.
Good to know I'm not alone.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:33 AM   #89
kamik86
DIS Veteran

I definitely tip the server much less when mistakes are made that the server should notice. The server should notice your food isn't coming out.

A server should notice if I ordered soemthing with no sauce and the sauce is on the food when they bring it out.

However if I order a medium well steak and it comes out mid-rare to be honest I don't expect servers to be able to tell that until I cut into it. So as long as they bring it back and get me my steak done right it doesn't affect their tip, its not their fault the kitchen messed up. The same goes for including something (or not) in the toppings of a burger or another mistake that isn't obvious the second you look at the plate.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:54 AM   #90
Disney Doll
DIS Security Matron

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mystery Machine View Post
We BEGGED for the bill and I am not joking. We were completely ignored, it was bizarre. Server kept saying yes, I will get that. We waited for almost an hour. This was in the bar area of a restaurant at Happy Hour.
An hour!!!!!!!!!
I'd have left too.
It's time to put on your big girl panties and deal with it!
Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out.
There's no pill that cures stupid.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
~~In loving memory of Teddy~~1994-2007~~
Disney  Doll is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: