Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2012, 03:04 PM   #61
declansdad
DIS Dad#639
Still waiting for his first one

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkacmom View Post
Considering the OP took up to a table for at least an hour, I think the server was "punished" for his mistakes even with the tip. I would asssume he normally would've gotten at least $10 for a 2-top on a Friday night.

The OP took up the table for an hour because of the restaurant's mistake, it had nothing to do with the OP.
ASM - March 2004 --- POP - July 2005 --- POP and the Poly - August 2007 --- CBR - Aug 2008 --- POFQ August 2009--- POP Christmas 2010--- POFQ Aug 2011 --- Disney Dream and MK March 2013 --- EPCOT F&G March 2013 --- Pop July 2013 --- AK March 2014

me dw (pooksma) ds
DIS Dads Club Member #639

Our WDW photos on Photobucket, Our WDW photos on Flickr

declansdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:34 PM   #62
MIGrandma
A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she's in hot water~Eleanor Roosevelt
I have a toilet problem
33 people looked, and not one followed the rule!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronandannette View Post
Question for you: Do you, as a server that fully acknowledges having provided a sub-par level of service (unintentionally or not), still expect a tip from that table? Do you consider those customers "cheap" or "jerks" if they don't leave a tip? This is not sarcastic or rhetorical; I've never worked in your industry and am genuinely interested in your perspective.
If I made a mistake but owned up to it and apologized for it and made it right with the customer and they forgave me for it, then yes I did expect a tip, but a lower than normal one. Usually the opposite happened though, they would tip great and I think it was because I went to them and explained what I had done and apologized. And like I said, it didn't happen often, but I'm human so it did happen a couple of times.

And those horrible, horrible Monday nights (I wanted to give them up but the owner wouldn't let me) when I was the ONLY waitress working MOST people were super understanding and I rarely had any complaints because they could see for themselves that I was working like a chicken with my head cut off trying to keep everyone served and happy. I wasn't standing around with my finger up my nose, or chatting with the dishwasher, etc.

Thankfully I am no longer "in the business" but I do have a lot of patience and understanding when we go out to dinner, especially if they are super busy and I can see the servers are working hard trying to keep up. I've been in their shoes.
Register to remove

Old 12-09-2012, 03:52 PM   #63
ronandannette
DIS Veteran

Thanks for answering.
DL & DCA 2013
ronandannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:27 PM   #64
MIGrandma
A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she's in hot water~Eleanor Roosevelt
I have a toilet problem
33 people looked, and not one followed the rule!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronandannette View Post
Thanks for answering.
You're very welcome.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:17 PM   #65
Hrhpd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytieeldr View Post
I would have tipped my typical percentage on the $33.

You received and drank the drinks, even if one of them wasn't the exact version you ordered. You ate the appetizers. It really stinks that your order got lost. It doesn't matter who lost it, or who was responsible for the wrong drink.

Common misconception. Were it true, the tip would have to be given before any service.

If the word 'afternym' existed, the TIPS legend would be a perfect example of it.
So, the acronym might be folklore, but the concept is the same. And no, if you gave a tip beforehand, there would be no incentive to "earn" the tip.

The drink, if it was wrong, should not be blamed on the server. He/she could not know it was wrong unless notified. And per the OP, this was so minor that she did not mention it until the whole night became a disaster.

However, the fact that the server did not notice that his table was sitting there for an extended time without service while he was waiting tables all around the OP was indeed his fault. A good server, no matter how slammed, is at least aware of what is going around him. He should have stopped by the table and said he would get to the bottom of why there was no food.

It may have been the kitchen's fault that the order was not put through. But it ultimately was the server's fault that they did not notice the kitchen had screwed up with their customer.

FWIW - we tip 20% for mediocre service (basics) and it goes up from there depending on quality of service.

However, if what the OP has said is true, this server failed even mediocre service.

Last edited by Hrhpd; 12-10-2012 at 08:51 PM.
Hrhpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:29 PM   #66
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by declansdad View Post
The meaning may be wrong but you still tip for good service. In this case, it wasn't good service.

OP, I would have left no tip.
You tip for service. The original poster got service. They got two rounds of drinks (and at this point it's likely not possible to determine whose error the first drink was) and appetizers. A two dollar tip for the $33 check is just a tad over 6%.

There's no reason not to tip based on what was provided.
kaytieeldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:32 PM   #67
BeachGirlFLA
DIS Veteran

Quote:
You tip for service. The original poster got service. They got two rounds of drinks (and at this point it's likely not possible to determine whose error the first drink was) and appetizers. A two dollar tip for the $33 check is just a tad over 6%.

The reason I didn't tip more is because the waiter's mistake messed up my date night that with my husband that I wait all week for. I felt that if the restaurant was willing to take a cut, the waiter should be just as willing to take a cut for not noticing that we were sitting there for so long waiting for our food as he served two tables that we were sitting between *and the people at those tables got there after us*
Old 12-09-2012, 06:32 PM   #68
declansdad
DIS Dad#639

Quote:

The restaurant screwed up, they were lucky the OP tipped at all. Do you often reward people who screw up?
ASM - March 2004 --- POP - July 2005 --- POP and the Poly - August 2007 --- CBR - Aug 2008 --- POFQ August 2009--- POP Christmas 2010--- POFQ Aug 2011 --- Disney Dream and MK March 2013 --- EPCOT F&G March 2013 --- Pop July 2013 --- AK March 2014

me dw (pooksma) ds

Old 12-09-2012, 06:40 PM   #69
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by declansdad View Post
The restaurant screwed up, they were lucky the OP tipped at all. Do you often reward people who screw up?
I wouldn't tip for anything I hadn't received. That would be ridiculous.

But if I got and drank two rounds of drinks and I got and ate an appetizer, then even though I didn't get the remainder of my order I would tip for what I had imbibed/consumed.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:42 PM   #70
ols386
I want to live at Disney World!!

In the op's situation, I wouldn't have tipped. Too many screw-ups.

Generally, tipping is for at least standard or above average service.

I think it was nice of the op to tip even the $2.
CBR October 2010, Polynesian December 2009, Wilderness Lodge September 2009, POFQ March 2009, DCL (Wonder) May 2008, Port Orleans Riverside January 2008, Contemporary Resort January 2007, Coronado Springs Resort January 2006, DCL (Wonder) February 2005, POP April 2004, Grand Floridian November 2003, Caribbean Beach Resort March 2002, DCL (Magic) March 2001, Various Visits During Past 15 Years
ols386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:47 PM   #71
declansdad
DIS Dad#639

Quote:

But if I got and drank two rounds of drinks and I got and ate an appetizer, then even though I didn't get the remainder of my order I would tip for what I had imbibed/consumed.

Tipping is for rewarding at a minimum good service, they dind't receive that.

me dw (pooksma) ds

Old 12-09-2012, 06:52 PM   #72
ronandannette
DIS Veteran

Quote:

But here's the thing - a gratuity is an acknowledgement of satisfactory service (overall experience, regardless of what went wrong). It's NOT a mandatory service charge to which a server is entitled.
DL & DCA 2013
ronandannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:09 PM   #73
kaytieeldr

Quote:
Originally Posted by declansdad
Tipping is for rewarding at a minimum good service, they dind't receive that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronandannette
But here's the thing - a gratuity is an acknowledgement of satisfactory service (overall experience, regardless of what went wrong). It's NOT a mandatory service charge to which a server is entitled.
I'm not saying tho original poster should have done anything different than what she did. I'm saying in that same situation - where I drank two rounds of drinks including one not exactly what I ordered (and it's likely impossible at this point to determine who caused that drink to be wrong) and an appetizer that filled me to the point that I wasn't actually hungry any longer - I would have left a tip on the $33 check.

That's the service/food I got, that's the service/food on which I tip. That portion of the visit appears to be satisfactory. Not great. Not good. Satisfactory.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:24 PM   #74
BeachGirlFLA
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I'm not saying tho original poster should have done anything different than what she did. I'm saying in that same situation - where I drank two rounds of drinks including one not exactly what I ordered (and it's likely impossible at this point to determine who caused that drink to be wrong) and an appetizer that filled me to the point that I wasn't actually hungry any longer - I would have left a tip on the $33 check.

That's the service/food I got, that's the service/food on which I tip. That portion of the visit appears to be satisfactory. Not great. Not good. Satisfactory.
Thanks for explaining...I thought you were saying I should have tipped more.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:28 PM   #75
kaytieeldr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachGirlFLA View Post
Thanks for explaining...I thought you were saying I should have tipped more.
Nope. You did what's right for you (and most of the people responding agree); in the same situation I would tip differently because that's what's right for me. No need to repeat my reasons .

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: