Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2012, 01:41 PM   #1
KorieDWnut
Known to be the cranky person to comment under my breath

San Angel Inn-Food Allergy

We went to San Angel Inn for hubby's bday on the 3rd. This is my first trip after being diagnosed with Celiac Disease but at all the other restaurants I had a great experience. All the Chefs came out and talked to me, many brought ingredient books and answered any questions I had. EXCEPT San Angel Inn. The waitress simply told me what to stay away from.
I asked her if the Tortilla soup was ok to eat and she said yes. It came out, I started eating and quickly realized the tortillas were fried flour tortillas, and not corn.
It is my own fault. I should never just take someone's word for it without asking questions. I just hated to be an inconvenience and all the TS places we went to seemed to be busy and they sort of rushed us out.

So..let this be a warning to anyone else. ASK questions! lol
Old 12-08-2012, 05:43 PM   #2
disneyfan'08
Earning My Ears

I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience at San Angel Inn. I also have Celiac Disease and I've been to Disney many times since my diagnosis. I'm not sure if you knew this or not, but some of the World Showcase restaurants aren't owned by Disney. I'm almost certain San Angel is one of the ones not owned by Disney. This means that you probably won't get the Disney level of service when it comes to your dietary restrictions. I'm really sensitive to gluten and don't want to risk people not understanding or cross contamination. For that reason, I personally avoid most world showcase restaurants.
Register to remove

Old 12-08-2012, 05:58 PM   #3
LilyWDW
Going to My Happy Place

San Angel is not owned or operated by Disney. They are a third party restaurant. As such, they may have different standards and policies in how to handle these sorts of things.

It is also one that gets a lot of negative reviews when it comes to accommodating special diets.

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." - Walt Disney
DIS'er OCTOBER 2014 FB Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1398705187009744/

LilyWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:53 PM   #4
princessallegra
They call me Mrs. Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by KorieDWnut
We went to San Angel Inn for hubby's bday on the 3rd. This is my first trip after being diagnosed with Celiac Disease but at all the other restaurants I had a great experience. All the Chefs came out and talked to me, many brought ingredient books and answered any questions I had. EXCEPT San Angel Inn. The waitress simply told me what to stay away from.
I asked her if the Tortilla soup was ok to eat and she said yes. It came out, I started eating and quickly realized the tortillas were fried flour tortillas, and not corn.
It is my own fault. I should never just take someone's word for it without asking questions. I just hated to be an inconvenience and all the TS places we went to seemed to be busy and they sort of rushed us out.

I'm so sorry you had this experience! I hope you didn't get sick from that. I have dietary restrictions (gluten and dairy) and I agree that the chefs at most Disney restaurants are amazing with accommodating food allergies. I wanted to give you some places we had exceptional experiences:

The Plaza at MK, Chef Ron was absolutely amazing.

Kouzzina, I can't remember the chef's name but in addition to my eggs and toast he made me a gf/df MICKEY WAFFLE as an "appetizer"! It was delicious! Dh even has a pic of me smiling from ear to ear.

Boma breakfast, Chef Amber also made me fresh gf/df mickey waffles which I devoured. She walked me through the buffet which has a lot of awesome gf options. The carved meats are amazing.

Citricos and Flying Fish were both amazing

LeCellier dinner, the filet mignon with mushroom risotto is gf right as is off the menu!

I hope this has helped a bit! Best wishes!

ASMU '95WL '05POP/POFQ '06ASMU '07POLY CL '09WL CL June '10ASMu Suite Nov '10CSR June '11POR Princess 1/2 '12ASp/CSR/AKL '12 ToT 10 Miler CSR '13
princessallegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:07 AM   #5
mom to minnie&mickey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KorieDWnut View Post

Sorry you had that experience as I can imagine it makes it very difficult for you to have to check everything. Disney is great about accommodating people with all needs but like other posters said San Angel is not owned by Disney. Still, they are a restaurant and have an obligation to their clientele.
Being busy is no excuse for allowing someone to possibly getting sick.
It is one restaurant that gets many complaints here. Hope you had a great trip and thanks for the warning.
mom to minnie&mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:34 PM   #6
KorieDWnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfan'08 View Post
I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience at San Angel Inn. I also have Celiac Disease and I've been to Disney many times since my diagnosis. I'm not sure if you knew this or not, but some of the World Showcase restaurants aren't owned by Disney. I'm almost certain San Angel is one of the ones not owned by Disney. This means that you probably won't get the Disney level of service when it comes to your dietary restrictions. I'm really sensitive to gluten and don't want to risk people not understanding or cross contamination. For that reason, I personally avoid most world showcase restaurants.
I didn't know that!
I am not super sensitive, only been 100% GF for 3 months, but my reactions ARE getting worse the longer I am gf.
Now I know for next time!
Old 12-09-2012, 12:36 PM   #7
KorieDWnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessallegra View Post
I'm so sorry you had this experience! I hope you didn't get sick from that. I have dietary restrictions (gluten and dairy) and I agree that the chefs at most Disney restaurants are amazing with accommodating food allergies. I wanted to give you some places we had exceptional experiences:

The Plaza at MK, Chef Ron was absolutely amazing.

Kouzzina, I can't remember the chef's name but in addition to my eggs and toast he made me a gf/df MICKEY WAFFLE as an "appetizer"! It was delicious! Dh even has a pic of me smiling from ear to ear.

Boma breakfast, Chef Amber also made me fresh gf/df mickey waffles which I devoured. She walked me through the buffet which has a lot of awesome gf options. The carved meats are amazing.

Citricos and Flying Fish were both amazing

LeCellier dinner, the filet mignon with mushroom risotto is gf right as is off the menu!

I hope this has helped a bit! Best wishes!
Thanks! At Port Orleans food court, the chefs were great. They made me chicken tenders, Mickey Waffles and Pizza. At Sci Fi Cafe They were great and at Tusker House and Crystal Palace, the chefs brought me around the buffets. Cosmic Rays was great too. We did go to Plaza and the Chef was very nice but she was kind of like "We have GF rolls" and that was about it. lol

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: