Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2012, 05:58 AM   #1
jamzmama
Earning My Ears

How far in advance to purchase for June 2013 flight?

I've been looking at airfare for early June from kansas city (mci) and the prices have been consistently high. My question - is there still a chance for me to find a cheaper flight between now and the 4 month mark or will it go up even more now that I'm looking for a flight less than 6 months in advance? Any thoughts are appreciated. If you see any worthwhile deals out there it would be appreciated too. The cheapest deal I've seen so far is $312 round trip. Southwest also has $165 each way which seemed kinda high especially if you have a family of 6 to buy for.
jamzmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:18 AM   #2
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamzmama View Post
I've been looking at airfare for early June from kansas city (mci) and the prices have been consistently high. My question - is there still a chance for me to find a cheaper flight between now and the 4 month mark or will it go up even more now that I'm looking for a flight less than 6 months in advance? Any thoughts are appreciated. If you see any worthwhile deals out there it would be appreciated too. The cheapest deal I've seen so far is $312 round trip. Southwest also has $165 each way which seemed kinda high especially if you have a family of 6 to buy for.
I'll tell you EXACTLY when the cheapest air fare will be if you'll tell me the next Powerball numbers are.

Yes, there is a chance for you to find a cheaper flight. There's also a chance the price stays high. Although not a true indicator, keep watching and seeing if the planes are filling up (look at the seat maps). If they stay relatively empty, there's a better chance of the price coming down.

FWIW, I purchased our tickets for next June 4 months ago. To get a cheaper rate, we're flying Fri-Mon (10 days). The weekly rate has stayed high.
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-08-2012, 07:54 AM   #3
jamzmama
Earning My Ears

I guess that's what I'll have to keep doing. Unfortunately we're going sat to sat. Thanks for the response.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:06 PM   #4
dd53
Mouseketeer

I've been told that the best fares are about 6 weeks-2 months out unless you are booking with Southwest or Airtran which start out low when they are released and then climb. Since I have a family of 10 to book for (only 2 adults), I booked Airtran the day it came out so we could all be on same flight and sit together. If I had family of 2-4 I would probably wait longer to book and watch for sales.
The girls: 13, 9, 8, 4

8/18/09-8/23/09 ASMu Family Suite!

June 2013 adoption celebration trip!!!!!
6/18-6/23 POR then 6/23-6/27 BC!!!! Can't wait!!!
dd53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:47 PM   #5
CaliforniaDreaming
#1 Grand Floridian Fan/Expert

I've found June flights to be expensive in the past. With that, I've already booked with AirTran, as I found a fare I could live with. I needed 6 tickets so that adds to the challenge.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:50 PM   #6
mcraige
DIS Veteran

As soon as you find airfare within your budget, buy it and don't ever look back.
Disney World May 1998 - Off Site; September 1998 - Off Site; October 1999 - Off Site; March 2000 - All Star Music; March 2002 - All Star Movies; March 2004 - Beach Club Villas (DVC); March 2006 - Saratoga Springs (DVC); December 2007 - Beach Club Villas (DVC); November 2010 - Old Key West (DVC); July 2011 - Off Site; November 2012 - Beach Club Villas (DVC); March 2013 - Saratoga Springs (DVC) Vero Beach March 2004, July 2009 Disney Cruise Line May 2003, July 2009 Disneyland December 2002/January 2003 - Off Site; August 2008 - Off Site
mcraige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:19 PM   #7
Propro
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcraige View Post
As soon as you find airfare within your budget, buy it and don't ever look back.
...unless you book on one of the airlines that will give you a credit if the price drops. Southwest is one of them.
Propro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:54 PM   #8
jamzmama
Earning My Ears

Yeah I found one a few weeks ago for AirTran that was $121 each way which I thought was ok but I didn't get it thinking that southwest may have cheaper flights that are also direct that's why I didn't buy them. Now I'm thinking maybe I should have.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:09 AM   #9
ADisneyQueen
DIS Veteran

I don't know if this is going to help you but I will tell you about buying my early June flights last year on Southwest. The fares came out I think around November and I took my time trying to decide if we should get them. Then on Dec. 23 , the fares dropped, even for the nonstops which is what I wanted. I guess no one is thinking about buying flights 2 days before xmas and that is why they were down? I was really sick that day and couldn't make up my mind and when I checked back a few days later the nonstops were high again. I ended up getting them in Jan. and not getting nonstops b/c they were too high and never did go down.
Anyway, you might want to hold on till right before xmas. My theory is that the fares go up when more people are interested in planning trips. Weekends or during Christmas or spring break when they are on the internet more for example. Good luck.
BTW, I was buying flights from Pittsburgh.
Christmas 2009-CBR and RI Seaworld,June 2012-POP
Aug 2013- CSR and AOA
ADisneyQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:21 AM   #10
jamzmama
Earning My Ears

Thanks for the advice. I've been just been checking it everyday hoping that flights will go down. The AirTran flights that I saw were still wide open so I'm hoping either AirTran or southwest goes down. But thanks for advice.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: