Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2012, 10:51 AM   #61
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by erocrobro View Post
I went to Target tonight to use my coupons for the spend $50 get a $10 gc. I have always used my Target card in order to get the 5% off with no problem. Tonight, however, I noticed that each of my cards was ringing up at $48 instead of what I was figuring should have been $47.50. Am I doing the math wrong or is this the same price everyone gets? I really wanted to have the cashier call a manager and ask, but wasn't really wanting to call too much attention to the fact that I was buying nearly $3000 worth of cards using this coupon, one at a time. It really would add up though, to nearly $25. Either way, I'm thrilled at the savings!
You don't get the 5% off the value of the $10 gift card, so the computer was correct. I paid $192 for 4x$50 ($200), which was really 5% off $160 ($200 less 4x$10)

If you buy anything that you get a Target card back, your receipt will have a "return" value which is the price you paid less the $10 or $5 you get back in a card.

Still a great deal at $48/card plus $10.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:59 PM   #62
erocrobro
DIS Veteran

I want to offer a huge thanks to everyone on this thread. I would never have thought of using the Facebook coupon for gift cards, but got the idea here. When I sat down this afternoon and totaled up my cards and how much I paid, I realized that I saved enough money on them to pay for my family's airfare! This vacation was a big splurge for us, but now it falls right in line with what I would normally budget for our summer vacation. Could not be more thrilled right now! - unless they offer a KSF on this date, then I might be even more thrilled!

erocrobro is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-16-2012, 06:15 PM   #63
leahmichl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsolar

Now I just have to put all 108 gc numbers on a spreadsheet to give to my TA.
Well worth my time!
I pay my kids a quarter each to scratch off the number on the back, and then scan them to send to travel agent. Still a pain, but I can scan 8 at a time and its quicker than typing!
December 2007 RCCL Grandeur of the Seas - January 2008 NCL Jewel - January 2010 Celebrity Century - February 2012 DCL Magic - August 2012 DCL Dream - March 2013 DCL Wonder - October 2013 DCL Magic - January 2015 Dream - Summer 2015 Alaska
leahmichl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:05 PM   #64
jahber
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by leahmichl

I pay my kids a quarter each to scratch off the number on the back, and then scan them to send to travel agent. Still a pain, but I can scan 8 at a time and its quicker than typing!
To make it a little easier, you can pry up the corner of one end of the scratch-off strip and then peel it off. I've seen several CMs do that and it works like a charm. But your kids might not be able to do it. And they might not appreciate being downsized
Dream 4-night Bahamas 5/12
WDW too many times to count!
jahber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:24 PM   #65
dis@dills
Mouseketeer

Try another Cashier or Store Next Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhgirl View Post
Target wouldn't let me do this and I was only getting one GC. No Fair. I want in on the next fix too.

That happened to me originally as well. I do NOT like confrontation/disagreements/arguments/misunderstandings etc... with cashiers when checking out at stores but I was encouraged by another thread and another forum (****************) to try another cashier and/or another store.

I did and it worked out great. In addition a Target employee at the store that wouldn't cooperate said to me that Super Targets have more "flexibility" with their policies. How much validity is in that I have no idea but the Super Target did it with no problems at all.

2013:Jan 27-29 OKW ... 2012:June 27-July 14 Aulani; Nov 30-Dec 3 POP ; Dec 23-30 Disney Wonder Holiday Cruise ...2011:Jan 7-10 SSR Marathon Weekend; July 9-16 OKW...2010:July 11-25 BLT2009:Jan 8-12 Marathon Weekend Off-Site; July 18-25 VWL & BCV July 25-Aug 1 Bonnet Creek ... 2008:July/August VB & BWV Split "Our 1st as DVC Members"...2007:August S&D...2006:August Off-Site & Dec 23-30 Christmas CSR
dis@dills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:51 AM   #66
pillow
DIS Veteran

Kroger fuel perks

FYI - the Kroger 4x promo works out to a larger discount than Target IF you keep gas cans handy and get the full 35 gallons using your discount. I calculated a 14% discount versus Target's 10%. They just ran the promo - not sure when there will be another one. What I like is that the Disney gift cards at Kroger can be loaded with any amount. Its so much easier to apply 1 card to your account versus the trillion $50 cards from Target. Trick is that the fuel savings expire, so you have to be sure not to buy more than you can use. Happy savings!

Jodie
pillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:57 AM   #67
tweis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillow View Post
FYI - the Kroger 4x promo works out to a larger discount than Target IF you keep gas cans handy and get the full 35 gallons using your discount. I calculated a 14% discount versus Target's 10%. They just ran the promo - not sure when there will be another one. What I like is that the Disney gift cards at Kroger can be loaded with any amount. Its so much easier to apply 1 card to your account versus the trillion $50 cards from Target. Trick is that the fuel savings expire, so you have to be sure not to buy more than you can use. Happy savings!

Jodie
I love the 4x promo! Took advantage of it while it lasted. How do you get the higher amount gift cards? I can only find the $25 and $50 at my Kroger. Do I simply tell them to add more? TIA
tweis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:09 AM   #68
havaneselover
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweis View Post
I love the 4x promo! Took advantage of it while it lasted. How do you get the higher amount gift cards? I can only find the $25 and $50 at my Kroger. Do I simply tell them to add more? TIA
There are certain cards that have no amount on them. You can load with up to $500 I believe. This is how I paid for a large chunk of my cruise. I got 4X fuel points (seems like they run that at least 3x/year) + 5% toward my swim club (we have a mandatory $350 annual contribution). Just got an Amex Blue preferred which is another 6%. So I'm getting almost 20% off with 4x fuel points and about 15% off normally.

My Kroger used to have the reloadable pink cards with the princesses. Then they didn't have them for a while so I got stuck buying the $50 ones. Now they have the blue Mickey ones that you can pick how much you want to add.

Stack this with 10% off when you book onboard, transfer the reservation to Costco and a cruise every few years is affordable for me.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:10 AM   #69
pillow
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweis View Post
My Kroger has various denominations too, but I noticed when I was there last time they also had a loadable card. You just need to search for it - or perhaps try a different Kroger. Good luck!
Old 12-19-2012, 09:12 AM   #70
Four Swampers
Picture is Disney Wonder at Cabo San Lucas

Quote:

Jodie
How does Target's deal equal 10%? The red card give 5% savings. With the coupon that gave $10 for every $50 purchased (coupon now expired), you get 20% savings (or 16.5% depending on whether you calculate up from $50 or down from $60). So the coupon deal was at least 16% by itself, 21% if combined with the red card. Or am I figuring this wrong?
Four Swampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:13 AM   #71
pillow
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by havaneselover View Post
There are certain cards that have no amount on them. You can load with up to $500 I believe. This is how I paid for a large chunk of my cruise. I got 4X fuel points (seems like they run that at least 3x/year) + 5% toward my swim club (we have a mandatory $350 annual contribution). Just got an Amex Blue preferred which is another 6%. So I'm getting almost 20% off with 4x fuel points and about 15% off normally.

Stack this with 10% off when you book onboard, transfer the reservation to Costco and a cruise every few years is affordable for me.
Tell me about the Amex Blue Preferred. How do you get the 6%? Is the yearly fee large? We transfer to Costco as well - great deal!

Jodie
Old 12-19-2012, 09:17 AM   #72
havaneselover
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Tell me about the Amex Blue Preferred. How do you get the 6%? Is the yearly fee large? We transfer to Costco as well - great deal!

Jodie
I just got it. It has a $75 annual fee, but they were/are offering $150 credit if you spend $1k in the first 3 months (so that covers 2 years annual fee). You get 6% off at grocery stores up to $6k in spending per year. There is also a 3% discount at gas stations and some department stores. They also have a regular blue card which has no annual fee but it only gives you 3% at grocery stores. I think there may be a bonus with that one right now too.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:19 AM   #73
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Swampers View Post
How does Target's deal equal 10%? The red card give 5% savings. With the coupon that gave $10 for every $50 purchased (coupon now expired), you get 20% savings (or 16.5% depending on whether you calculate up from $50 or down from $60). So the coupon deal was at least 16% by itself, 21% if combined with the red card. Or am I figuring this wrong?
I think the poster was talking about the regular Target deal of 5% off for a Red card (debit or credit) plus 5% off if you have a special pharmacy deal. The $10 gift card off a $50 purchase was just a special promotion for 2 weeks, but the other 5%/5% is available year round, as are many of the fuel perks (although 4x the credit is usually quarterly).

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:20 AM   #74
tweis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
My Kroger has various denominations too, but I noticed when I was there last time they also had a loadable card. You just need to search for it - or perhaps try a different Kroger. Good luck!
Thank you! I will look for it next time.
tweis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:43 AM   #75
deidre
Earning My Ears

So I'm hoping I can get this right. You can use Disney Store GC to pay for your cruise? Also, has anyone used those discounted gift card websites to buy the GC?
deidre is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: