Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2012, 01:49 PM   #1
GBBTomorrow
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 958

BOG: Vindication for those of us against table-saving!

Anyone who has been to Be Our Guest at lunchtime can tell you that no matter how crowded the restaurant, you can always find a place to eat for your party. No more trolling around with your tray of food, trying to guilt someone who is finished into getting up for you. No more rushing for a table as soon as someone stands up.

The system WORKS: nobody is allowed to save tables due to the way the traffic flow of the restaurant is set up. This proves what many on the DIS have been saying for a long time, that saving tables is a bad idea, and waiting to sit until you have your food makes more tables available for everyone. Yippee!

To those who complain that they don't want their kids waiting in the line, all the kids were waiting in the line with their families and present at ordering when we were there on Sunday, and nobody appeared too upset about it.

I am happy, and hope all CS restaurants implement this policy during peak use.

(Ready for flames. I understand there's a lot of difference of opinion on this subject.)
GBBTomorrow is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 01:55 PM   #2
disneyworld1977
Mouseketeer
 
disneyworld1977's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: 988 miles away from WDW (TOO FAR!)
Posts: 393

I have no fuel to add to the possible fire. I find it interesting. Honestly, I go either way on this deal. If you can save sits in a restaurant great, if you can't, then no biggie, life goes in.
__________________
*DL* Offsite - 2000, 2003, 2005, 2011, SEPT 2013!! *WDW* Offsite - 80's , 90's ** POP CENTURY - 2004, 2009 ** CORONADO SPRINGS - 2008 ** PORT ORLEANS (Riverside) - 2011 ** ALL STAR MOVIES - 2012 ** FT. WILDERNESS CABINS DEC 2013
ME DW
disneyworld1977 is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 12-07-2012, 01:57 PM   #3
floridagirl61
Mouseketeer
 
floridagirl61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: rensselaer falls
Posts: 391

No flames from me. I am glad that everyone chooses a table after they order. I think it works even with kids because you are not juggling trays of food and your kids. I like that they deliver your food to your table.
__________________
Shari


TO MANY DAY TRIPS TO COUNT, SENIOR NIGHT '79, WL '96, CS '00, ASMU '07, ASMU '08, POP '09, POP '10, BW CL '10, ASMU '11, BC VILLAS '13, BC CL '13, AOA '13, BC CL '14

Our Best Disney Vacation Yethttp://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3178111

Fifield Family Food Reviews and Pictures
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3175535
floridagirl61 is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 02:12 PM   #4
party-of-five
Mouseketeer
 
party-of-five's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Central MA
Posts: 284

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridagirl61 View Post
No flames from me. I am glad that everyone chooses a table after they order. I think it works even with kids because you are not juggling trays of food and your kids. I like that they deliver your food to your table.
This is the big difference... they bring the food to you. At other CS restaurants, that is not the case. It is much easier, for us, to have DH (and maybe an older child to help) go get the food while I sit with the little guys. If food was brought to us, I would have no problem with the whole family waiting in line. The kids are in line with us for the rides. . The problem is trying to juggle food, drinks, toddlers, strollers, etc. and many times there is a crowd at the counter waiting for the food.
__________________
DH Me DS12 DD10 DS7 DS1
party-of-five is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 02:19 PM   #5
JulieBR
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by party-of-five View Post
This is the big difference... they bring the food to you. At other CS restaurants, that is not the case. It is much easier, for us, to have DH (and maybe an older child to help) go get the food while I sit with the little guys. If food was brought to us, I would have no problem with the whole family waiting in line. The kids are in line with us for the rides. . The problem is trying to juggle food, drinks, toddlers, strollers, etc. and many times there is a crowd at the counter waiting for the food.
This!!
JulieBR is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 02:47 PM   #6
vanl0003
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 11

Totally agree with party-of-five. Not having to wait at a counter for food and then finding and delivering it to your table with family in tow is a game changer.
__________________
Offsite in 1990
Offsite in 1991
CSR in 2011
Disney Dream in 2012
CSR in 2013

vanl0003 is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 02:58 PM   #7
GBBTomorrow
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 958

I definitely see the point about how nice it is to have the food delivered, but don't think it really applies to the issue of seat-saving. If somebody didn't want the kids in the line, why do they need to wait at a table? Couldn't they wait off to the side or on a bench? If the restaurant isn't crowded, go anywhere, but if it is crowded, why take seats from people who already have food?
GBBTomorrow is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 02:59 PM   #8
Mkrop
I just cant go on demand
Hi my name is Mkop and I am a cart leaver!
 
Mkrop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Philly Suburbs!!!!
Posts: 10,451

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridagirl61 View Post
No flames from me. I am glad that everyone chooses a table after they order. I think it works even with kids because you are not juggling trays of food and your kids. I like that they deliver your food to your table.
That changes everything...you can not compare other CS to BOG than.
__________________
DH Me DS16 : DS11
2002 Contemporary
April -May 2007 Contemporary
June 2008 Contemporary
Dec 2008 Boardwalk Inn
June 2009 Disneyland Hotel and DCA
Jan 2010 DVC Boardwalk Villas
Dec 2010 DVC BLT
July-Aug 2011 Disneyland Park Vue Inn
Dec 2011 DVC BW
July 2012 DVC BC
Dec 2013 DVC AKL/BW
Mkrop is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 03:03 PM   #9
GBBTomorrow
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 958

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkrop

That changes everything...you can not compare other CS to BOG than.
Why not?
GBBTomorrow is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 03:27 PM   #10
gtpoohbear
DIS Veteran
 
gtpoohbear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Colorado
Posts: 915

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBBTomorrow View Post
I definitely see the point about how nice it is to have the food delivered, but don't think it really applies to the issue of seat-saving. If somebody didn't want the kids in the line, why do they need to wait at a table? Couldn't they wait off to the side or on a bench? If the restaurant isn't crowded, go anywhere, but if it is crowded, why take seats from people who already have food?
Exactly!! I still don't understand the argument that it's too hard to have your kids in line anyway, they spend a large part of the day standing in line for rides, why is a meal any different?

And if it's a matter of having to handle your trays with kids in tow, I don't see how it's any different still. One adult would have had to be at the table with the kids, leaving the other adult (in a typical 2-adult party arrangement) to manage the trays on their own. So if everyone is in line, one adult wrangles the kids, the other adult carries the trays. You are no worse off than you would have been otherwise, in fact unless your kids are completely out of control, the second adult could likely carry something in one hand too, helping you out.

I just don't have a lot of sympathy for the "it's just easier for me" excuse. Sure, LOTS of things would be easier for me, like leaving my shopping cart in the empty parking spot next to my car when I'm done with it, instead of taking to the appropriate location. Do I do it? Because, hey, that's just easier, I've got my kids already in the car, it's cold, etc etc etc. No, of course not, because that would be rude and inconsiderate. Same principle here. Something being easier for you doesn't make it okay.

The seating in CS restaurants is designed to be able to handle the load that will flow through when all registers are busy and in use. When people start taking tables before they've gone through the line, it totally messes up the system. As BOG is showing, there wouldn't be a problem finding a table if everyone followed the system as it was intended.

But anyway, this is one of our main frustrations with CS, and why we almost never visit CS places anymore. If more of them went the way of BOG, we might start giving them a shot again.
__________________
Me (Jaime) * DH (Brian) *DD (Lily-10) * DS (Owen-3)

All Trip Reports & Photo Albums are located here! June 2008 - Poly | June 2010 - CBR | Mar 2012 - ASMo | Apr 2013 - YC | Mar 2014 - AKL & AoA | Oct 2014 - POR | Dec 2014 - WL | May 2015 - FW?? | Nov 2015 - Pop??
gtpoohbear is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 03:48 PM   #11
Mkrop
I just cant go on demand
Hi my name is Mkop and I am a cart leaver!
 
Mkrop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Philly Suburbs!!!!
Posts: 10,451

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridagirl61 View Post
No flames from me. I am glad that everyone chooses a table after they order. I think it works even with kids because you are not juggling trays of food and your kids. I like that they deliver your food to your table.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBBTomorrow View Post
Why not?
Because they are not set up the same way, I am assuming since I have not been in BOG, that there is plenty of room for everyone to wait, not so in other CSs.

When my kids were younger, DH would go and ordered the food, I would take the kids, the bags, the stroller and get out of the way at a table. I would have the tired, overheated kids out of line instead of whining in a line which I would never have them in a ride line if they were that meltdowned bc they needed air and food. I would get all the condiments, napkins, and straws. Have all the kids wipe their hands, clean the table off. By the time I was done this, DH would be back with the food and we would not be crowding up the line.

There was also a time when I would sit at the table and if time allowed I would give younger DS a bottle or a jar of baby food so that by the time the other food arrived I could actually eat my food warm.


If they seat you and than bring the food, we can have all the same stuff accomplished by the time the food arrives
__________________
DH Me DS16 : DS11
2002 Contemporary
April -May 2007 Contemporary
June 2008 Contemporary
Dec 2008 Boardwalk Inn
June 2009 Disneyland Hotel and DCA
Jan 2010 DVC Boardwalk Villas
Dec 2010 DVC BLT
July-Aug 2011 Disneyland Park Vue Inn
Dec 2011 DVC BW
July 2012 DVC BC
Dec 2013 DVC AKL/BW
Mkrop is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 04:39 PM   #12
Figment2101
Earning My Ears
 
Figment2101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Central Coast Australia
Posts: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBBTomorrow View Post
Anyone who has been to Be Our Guest at lunchtime can tell you that no matter how crowded the restaurant, you can always find a place to eat for your party. No more trolling around with your tray of food, trying to guilt someone who is finished into getting up for you. No more rushing for a table as soon as someone stands up.

The system WORKS: nobody is allowed to save tables due to the way the traffic flow of the restaurant is set up. This proves what many on the DIS have been saying for a long time, that saving tables is a bad idea, and waiting to sit until you have your food makes more tables available for everyone. Yippee!

To those who complain that they don't want their kids waiting in the line, all the kids were waiting in the line with their families and present at ordering when we were there on Sunday, and nobody appeared too upset about it.

I am happy, and hope all CS restaurants implement this policy during peak use.

(Ready for flames. I understand there's a lot of difference of opinion on this subject.)
No flames from me. I totally agree with you.
__________________
Figment2101 is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 04:43 PM   #13
owl0306
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 432

maybe bc it was thanksgiving week but Pinocchio haus and the pizza place in AK were not letting you enter the seating area without food.
owl0306 is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 04:51 PM   #14
Peter Fan
Peter Fan
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 269

Well i saw adults and kids saving tables while we were eating. We ate our meal and sat and talked for a little while and when we were ready to leave those same people were still waiting for there food. As other people are walking around with food unable to find a table!
Peter Fan is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 06:20 PM   #15
Peter Fan
Peter Fan
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 269

What exactly is the grey stuff?
Peter Fan is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:43 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.