Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2012, 08:26 PM   #1
bladiator
Mouseketeer

Never saw the original Tiki Room til this trip

And I know why they went back to it! It is so charming. I always saw it on the old videos of WDW and thought it would be good, but anything looks like a great idea if it's not that horrible Iago.

And if what they have there is not really the original, then it's still way better than Iago. It actually uses all the different parts of the room to their best advantage. Almost like the room was built for it. ;-)
Old 12-07-2012, 10:59 PM   #2
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

I've been around long enough to be familiar with all 3 iterations of this attraction. The present one is NOT the original, but is a very similar, condensed version. And yes, a great improvement over the awful Under New Management one.

And yes, the room was built specifically to maximize the use of all of the wall areas, as well as the center and ceiling. But I still miss some of the birds and flowers that are no longer present. I know that a lot of WDW guests never bother to see this show, but we always make a point of going there on our way out of Adventureland.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-08-2012, 12:44 AM   #3
TunaSled
No Windows and No Doors

We LOVE the Tiki Room. I remember it from my childhood (1970s) and experienced it a few times "Under New Management" since. I just visited the restored version a week ago and it is refreshing, maybe not exactly the same as I experienced it but it sure seems right on.

WDW Commando Club member #220

TunaSled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:05 AM   #4
bladiator
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post
I've been around long enough to be familiar with all 3 iterations of this attraction. The present one is NOT the original, but is a very similar, condensed version. And yes, a great improvement over the awful Under New Management one.

And yes, the room was built specifically to maximize the use of all of the wall areas, as well as the center and ceiling. But I still miss some of the birds and flowers that are no longer present. I know that a lot of WDW guests never bother to see this show, but we always make a point of going there on our way out of Adventureland.
So this current version is just a bit shorter than the original? One thing I hated about "Under New Management" was that they barely used the faces on the wall or the flowers. Once they started up, I was like "finally!" and then they got stopped almost instantly. This current iteration is much more intriguing. I know most people have ADD and can't watch 4 birds sing an entire song these days, but that's my kind of thing. You actually have to try to enjoy the music instead of always awaiting the next flash of light or mirror trick.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:58 PM   #5
Micca
You gotta love a great plan like that
Will be spending some time with George Harrison
I have known whack-a-doodles in my day

We love the Tiki Room. Especially the chanting tikis on the wall, the drummers up the the ceiling, and the big thunderstorm.
Micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:21 PM   #6
Shir Kahn
DIS Veteran

I liked both the past versions, haven't seen the new one but we'll be seeing it in a few weeks.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:26 PM   #7
kevdo
Kevin Crossman

Yes, exactly. This is supposed to be charming and relaxing, not grating/annoying. So much better now.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:24 PM   #8
nansmama
DIS Veteran

The only big thing missing from the new version is the fountain show. I wish they could put that back in, but I guess there must be some mechanical reason they don't.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:39 PM   #9
PrincessMe
Mouseketeer

I was SO happy The Tiki Room's new management apparently fled. Having it almost back to normal was a surprise highlight of my recent trip.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:00 PM   #10
Angebee
Mouseketeer

I am so glad the 'new management' won't be there!! My mom loved going to the Tiki Room to enjoy the relaxing environment ...and possibly the fact it would lull we children to nap until the tikis talked Having Zazu there was one thing, but Iago's annoying voice really ruined the atmosphere, in my opinion anyway. Viva la old school Disney!

(inactive at the moment) 'No Pit Stoppo!' -- Our first TR (Feb 2013)

The Sunfinders ... 'Lady' (mom), 'Butch' (dad), me, Kit (21)

'88, '90, '94 to '98 -- offsite w/ family '09 -- ASsport & '13 -- AoA Cars '11 -- offsite at Disneyland!
Angebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:09 PM   #11
kaligal
DIS Veteran

This version is SOOOOweeeoh-ho SO MUCH BETTER than the horrible, shrieking Gilbert Gotfried one.

I love the Tiki Room again. I'd love the Original Original one more, the this new/old version is good.
Fantasmic sucks.
kaligal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:19 PM   #12
Sean1814
Earning My Ears

I think I read somewhere that the new management one caught on fire while the park was closed and iago was badly charred, so it forced a re do. I never saw that one, but hearing how much everyone hated it, maybe a CM agreed and it wasn't the fire was a desperate arson. Lol.
Sean1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:17 AM   #13
huhwhat
Mouseketeer

I saw the show last november..it was the gilbert show...but I still loved it..the water feature was working at the time...my kids still sing the song....In the tiki tiki tiki room, where the birds sing and the flowers bloom.....
PoP 2010,2011,2011
WDL 2008
huhwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:43 AM   #14
bladiator
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean1814 View Post
I think I read somewhere that the new management one caught on fire while the park was closed and iago was badly charred, so it forced a re do. I never saw that one, but hearing how much everyone hated it, maybe a CM agreed and it wasn't the fire was a desperate arson. Lol.
That's a great coverup story.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:25 AM   #15
kaligal
DIS Veteran

I confess. It was me. I set the blaze. The Tiki Birds begged me to do it. After repeated requests to their manager (and the Tiki Gods), they had given up hope. Said they'd rather burn themselves in protest than be a party to that offense to mankind one more day.

I just couldn't refuse their request. It was so necessary.

Luckily, they didn't have to die. The fire was stopped (by some very hot firemen!) and Disney took a second look at the birds' request. A compromise was reached and we have the new/old Tiki Room.
Fantasmic sucks.
kaligal is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: