Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2012, 03:55 PM   #1
chimpwars
Earning My Ears

Galveston western cruise ?'s, Help first timers

Hi a few questions, as we have never went on a cruise before.
We are booked precruise to stay at Hotel Galvez and I know they offer a shuttle to the port.

How should we get from Houston (IAH) to Hotel Galvez? Family of 4, 1 in a car seat. And obviously back again? Any companies you recommend?

Xcaret-worth doing? we have a 7yo and 3yo.

and are the dolphin excursions really worth it? Thinking of doing that one, but just not sure.

thank you!!
I would appreciate and all input related to these questions or any other advice!

Magic Cruise 1/13
chimpwars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:59 PM   #2
gumbypee
Mouseketeer

I would look up super shuttle or something like rhat to see about getting you from airport to hotel-or call hotel to see what they recommend

I did the dolphin excursion in grand cayman with belly ride and it was so much fun, I love dolphins and thought it was money well spent for me. Seven yo might enjoy but depends if scared of water.
gumbypee is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-07-2012, 04:16 PM   #3
chimpwars
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbypee View Post
I would look up super shuttle or something like rhat to see about getting you from airport to hotel-or call hotel to see what they recommend

I did the dolphin excursion in grand cayman with belly ride and it was so much fun, I love dolphins and thought it was money well spent for me. Seven yo might enjoy but depends if scared of water.
Good to know! thank you, dd is a strong swimmer as she's done swim team already. now dd2 will not swim with them, I'll have her stay with dad

Magic Cruise 1/13
chimpwars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:42 PM   #4
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Personally, we found Discovery Cove in Orlando to be better than any of the island dolphin things (and it is a full day all inclusive). However, If you are not going to get to Orlando any time while the kids are the right age, go for the islands.

Xcaret with kids your age wouldn't be my first choice. If you want to swim and enjoy a beach day, Paradise Beach is lovely. The beach if free, $2 gets you a chair, and $12 gets a wristband for all "non-motorized beach toys." You probably don't need chairs for all and not toys for toddler. (they are snorkels, rafts, etc) Taxi is $15 per cab each way (not per person or family). Be sure you understand what is included in a "package" if your driver tries to sell you one--they can be a good deal OR can include a lot of stuff you don't want and don't need to pay for.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:05 AM   #5
mikehn
DIS Veteran

last time we were in galveston, we rented a car and parked it at the hotel for the week. The parking was free and the car rental was slightly cheaper than round trip transfers to/from Houston
mikehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:17 AM   #6
MedicGoofy
DIS Veteran

I just got a one way rental from Enterprise for a really reasonable rate. The cost of me getting a town car (cause shuttle was more expensive) INTO Galveston, was far more expensive than doing this.....and I have the rental for 2 days.

Like the PP just mentioned, I would look at getting a rental for either a one way, OR keep it for the week. It may end of being far cheaper to do that, than to pay for transfers for your whole family. Plus then, you will have the car until you cruise. Get out and do something? It's worth a look.

Oh, and definitely call to talk to Enterprise. Not do it by internet.

Jenn

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: