Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2012, 06:29 PM   #16
rk5798
Mouseketeer
 
rk5798's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 307

Last Christmas, the pizza place at AK wasn't letting people sit without food then either...and you know what? We found a seat as soon as we got our food!
rk5798 is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 06:33 PM   #17
Mkrop
I just cant go on demand
Hi my name is Mkop and I am a cart leaver!
 
Mkrop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Philly Suburbs!!!!
Posts: 10,475

Quote:
Originally Posted by owl0306 View Post
maybe bc it was thanksgiving week but Pinocchio haus and the pizza place in AK were not letting you enter the seating area without food.
We went to Pinocchios over the summer, we at early, 11:30 ish. DH and DS15 went and got the food, DS9 and I went and got a table. By the time we left, the CMs were now directing traffic and making people wait in theback far exit where the bathrooms were. It blocked the other tables. People and CMs were gettting extremely frustrated. It was a mess. I went out that way to use the bathrooms and guests were not happy. I was super glad to get out of there
__________________
DH Me DS16 : DS11
2002 Contemporary
April -May 2007 Contemporary
June 2008 Contemporary
Dec 2008 Boardwalk Inn
June 2009 Disneyland Hotel and DCA
Jan 2010 DVC Boardwalk Villas
Dec 2010 DVC BLT
July-Aug 2011 Disneyland Park Vue Inn
Dec 2011 DVC BW
July 2012 DVC BC
Dec 2013 DVC AKL/BW
Mkrop is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 12-07-2012, 06:58 PM   #18
party-of-five
Mouseketeer
 
party-of-five's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Central MA
Posts: 284

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpoohbear View Post
Exactly!! I still don't understand the argument that it's too hard to have your kids in line anyway, they spend a large part of the day standing in line for rides, why is a meal any different?

And if it's a matter of having to handle your trays with kids in tow, I don't see how it's any different still. One adult would have had to be at the table with the kids, leaving the other adult (in a typical 2-adult party arrangement) to manage the trays on their own. So if everyone is in line, one adult wrangles the kids, the other adult carries the trays. You are no worse off than you would have been otherwise, in fact unless your kids are completely out of control, the second adult could likely carry something in one hand too, helping you out.

I just don't have a lot of sympathy for the "it's just easier for me" excuse. Sure, LOTS of things would be easier for me, like leaving my shopping cart in the empty parking spot next to my car when I'm done with it, instead of taking to the appropriate location. Do I do it? Because, hey, that's just easier, I've got my kids already in the car, it's cold, etc etc etc. No, of course not, because that would be rude and inconsiderate. Same principle here. Something being easier for you doesn't make it okay.

The seating in CS restaurants is designed to be able to handle the load that will flow through when all registers are busy and in use. When people start taking tables before they've gone through the line, it totally messes up the system. As BOG is showing, there wouldn't be a problem finding a table if everyone followed the system as it was intended.

But anyway, this is one of our main frustrations with CS, and why we almost never visit CS places anymore. If more of them went the way of BOG, we might start giving them a shot again.
I still don't see your point. If there is an empty table, I'm going to sit there with my young children while DH and older children get food. When they are done getting food, they join us, we eat, we go on with our day. It has nothing to do with the kids being in line or not. It has to do with the lines at the counter being too crowded.

I'm happy to hear that Disney has worked out some of the existing CS kinks with BOG. But until they change the configuration at the current CS restaurants, we will continue to hold a table.

FWIW, I return the cart when grocery shopping too.
__________________
DH Me DS12 DD10 DS7 DS1
party-of-five is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 07:33 PM   #19
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran
 
bumbershoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tacoma WA
Posts: 44,591

What works is when everyone is doing the SAME thing. What doesn't work is when some people wait with family while ordering, and others sit at tables before eating. So when the CMs make everyone do the same thing, that's when you find it works best.
__________________
-molly + robert + eamon (10!!)

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is online now  
Old 12-07-2012, 07:55 PM   #20
nanienamou
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 458

Let's take Columbia Harbour House as an example - I have three boys, ages 8, 6 and 4, plus DH. I just can't imagine all 5 of us fitting in the stalls after you ordered your food and waiting for it at the counter. The space is ridiculously small and honestly, for safety and efficiency issues, there should not be more than one our two people for each party in the stalls.

For now, DH and I go as a couple, and we wait together, but when we go as a family, if the configuration of the qs places are the same, I'm sorry, but I would not want my kids in there. However, if they change the configuration, we would have no problem waiting for the food together and getting a seat once we have our trays. It's a space issue for us, plus I prefer that other keep their kids out of the line too, because people are carrying out trays full of food and beverages (sometimes hot), and you have spillage risk.

The BOG example is not relevant, since you don't have to wait in a cramped stall at the counter for your food. It's a much better system. If Disney wants the complete family waiting in line and not hogging tables, fine, but give them the space to do so.
nanienamou is online now  
Old 12-07-2012, 08:02 PM   #21
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran
 
chloelovesdisney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 5,897

We are not table savers and are very happy with the BOG set up.
__________________

chloelovesdisney is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 08:19 PM   #22
disneybride96
Yacht Club Gazebo- 11-2-96
 
disneybride96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,507

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
What works is when everyone is doing the SAME thing. What doesn't work is when some people wait with family while ordering, and others sit at tables before eating. So when the CMs make everyone do the same thing, that's when you find it works best.
Exactly! We love a very popular, busy counter service type place in Hilton Head. They don't allow table saving. I have seen several reviews online where people get totally bent because they were told they can't save seats. Amazingly the system works and the seating equals the pace the food comes out. Sounds like a great system at BOG.
__________________

Mutiple Trips- 1972-1995
The Weddings : Sister's Wedding...Wilderness Lodge Jan '96 Intimate Wedding....Yacht Club Nov '96

Boardwalk Grand Villa Upgrade, '98 Shades Of Green '99
The Cruises: Wonder- Jan '04, Magic w/ Antigua- Oct '04, Kin Folk Magic Cruise- Nov '05, Wonder- Jan '06
Won at trip to the Yacht Club- Jan '06
Then Came DVC: SSR - Sept '06, OKW Studio - Jan '07, OKW Grand Villa - Sept '07, AKV/BCV - Jan '08
Magic Halloween Double Dip Oct '08, SSR Pre-Christmas Dec '08,, Jan '09 BCV, Developer Points @ SSR - Sept '09,
BLT Homecoming- Dec '09,Wonder & BWV- Jan '10, HHI- Oct '10, Nephews to BLT- Jan '11, DISNEYLAND VGC- Oct '11
Dream/BLT - Nov '11, Princess Trip/Treehouse - Oct '12,
Super Storm Sandy Dream Cruise - Oct '12 , AKV/BCV -Jan '13 .
disneybride96 is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 08:32 PM   #23
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran
 
North of Mouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5,519

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkrop View Post
Because they are not set up the same way, I am assuming since I have not been in BOG, that there is plenty of room for everyone to wait, not so in other CSs.

When my kids were younger, DH would go and ordered the food, I would take the kids, the bags, the stroller and get out of the way at a table. I would have the tired, overheated kids out of line instead of whining in a line which I would never have them in a ride line if they were that meltdowned bc they needed air and food. I would get all the condiments, napkins, and straws. Have all the kids wipe their hands, clean the table off. By the time I was done this, DH would be back with the food and we would not be crowding up the line.

There was also a time when I would sit at the table and if time allowed I would give younger DS a bottle or a jar of baby food so that by the time the other food arrived I could actually eat my food warm.


If they seat you and than bring the food, we can have all the same stuff accomplished by the time the food arrives
There is no more room to wait in line at BOG than any other CS. There are kiosk lines as well as CM lines, but the waiting for families is just as crowded.

But, you do not have to wait for a table, there are always some available - we ate there twice last week and this week.
North of Mouse is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 10:19 PM   #24
SmileEar2Ear
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 86

It's not the wait, it is the navigating with trays of food that is difficult. That is the main difference between BOG and other CS locations.

We actually go through the line twice at CS places. It is too hard to juggle all of the food for our group, so I get the kids food and mine while DH gets napkins, etc and sits with the kids. I bring the food and while he goes up for his, I get the kids situated, opening grapes, cutting food, etc. then DH gets back and we all pretty much eat together. We wouldn't be able to manage all of our food, plus the kids, while getting condiments and searching for a table. If it was just a matter of ordering we could easily all stand in line and then go sit and wait for our food to be delivered.
SmileEar2Ear is online now  
Old 12-07-2012, 10:28 PM   #25
tiffjoy
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 700

I don't see the point in this one. At BOG, you are still sitting at a table without food.

You order, pay, find a seat, and your food is delivered to you. You are not waiting for your food before you get the seat.

People are still, in either situation, placing their order then sitting then getting the food delivered. In the case if BOG, it is delivered by a CM. in the case of other CS, it is delivered by the family member who stood in line.

The only part that changes is the small amount of time the person spends waiting in line to order. And at most existing CS restaurants, there's no room to wait with children and a stroller until you are handed your food. You would back up the line. That's the major difference with BOG and why it works- the CM delivering the food is a game changer.
__________________
Me DH DD4 DD2

WDW Trips: First trip January 2004! 1/2005, 1/2006, 2/2006, 1/2007, 12/2010, 1/2013
DLR Trips: First trip January 2006! 9/2007, 8/2010, 9/2011, 9/2012, 4/2013, 12/2013

Upcoming:
DLR August 2014 for 5 days for DD4's 5th birthday
WDW January 2015 for 4 days for DD2's 3rd birthday
tiffjoy is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 10:35 PM   #26
gtpoohbear
DIS Veteran
 
gtpoohbear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Colorado
Posts: 951

Quote:
Originally Posted by party-of-five

I still don't see your point. If there is an empty table, I'm going to sit there with my young children while DH and older children get food. When they are done getting food, they join us, we eat, we go on with our day. It has nothing to do with the kids being in line or not. It has to do with the lines at the counter being too crowded.

I'm happy to hear that Disney has worked out some of the existing CS kinks with BOG. But until they change the configuration at the current CS restaurants, we will continue to hold a table.

FWIW, I return the cart when grocery shopping too.
My point is exactly what you are saying. You save the table simply because you can, and you perceive that it makes your life easier for a few minutes. Not because its more efficient, or fair, or the right thing to do. It just helps YOU. But at the expense of others who are trying to do it the right way and have no place to sit now, while their food gets cold.

Personally, I've never had an issue taking a large group through the line, don't see why it's a big deal. All if WDW is crowded, the lines at CS no exception, you just deal with it for a few minutes and move on. If you absolutely can't handle it, fine, have the others wait somewhere else. But there is NO good reason to be taking up a table that you don't need yet, at least none that isn't selfish. It's no different than not returning the cart. And clogs up the whole system, I always strive to be part of the solution, not part of the problem.
__________________
Me (Jaime) * DH (Brian) *DD (Lily-10) * DS (Owen-3)

All Trip Reports & Photo Albums are located here!
Previous Trips: 2008: Poly, Hilton GVC | 2010: CBR | 2012: ASMo | 2013: YC | 2014: AKL, AoA
Upcoming Trips: Oct 2014: POR | Dec 2014 - WL | July 2015 - ASMusic | Nov 2015 - FW Campground
gtpoohbear is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 11:24 PM   #27
tiffjoy
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 700

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpoohbear

My point is exactly what you are saying. You save the table simply because you can, and you perceive that it makes your life easier for a few minutes. Not because its more efficient, or fair, or the right thing to do. It just helps YOU. But at the expense of others who are trying to do it the right way and have no place to sit now, while their food gets cold.

Personally, I've never had an issue taking a large group through the line, don't see why it's a big deal. All if WDW is crowded, the lines at CS no exception, you just deal with it for a few minutes and move on. If you absolutely can't handle it, fine, have the others wait somewhere else. But there is NO good reason to be taking up a table that you don't need yet, at least none that isn't selfish. It's no different than not returning the cart. And clogs up the whole system, I always strive to be part of the solution, not part of the problem.
I don't save tables.

But I still don't see much of a difference at all. And it still is a huge difference to have someone bring food to you.
__________________
Me DH DD4 DD2

WDW Trips: First trip January 2004! 1/2005, 1/2006, 2/2006, 1/2007, 12/2010, 1/2013
DLR Trips: First trip January 2006! 9/2007, 8/2010, 9/2011, 9/2012, 4/2013, 12/2013

Upcoming:
DLR August 2014 for 5 days for DD4's 5th birthday
WDW January 2015 for 4 days for DD2's 3rd birthday
tiffjoy is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 11:52 PM   #28
Mickey'sApprentice
Shamelessly demand, it works better
DIS Veteran
 
Mickey'sApprentice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Montgomery, Alabama
Posts: 4,486

I admit it. I get a table while my husband gets food because my feet really hurt. I had not thought about how it effects other people but will now.

I had only thought about how my party would have to take more time outs if I didn't have that extra 10-15 minutes at mid-day.

I could wait outside the restaurant...but cell service tends to be awful inside the restaurants so we would have a hard time re-connecting.

I have also been at Pinnochio's while they were not allowing people to save seats and the wait was not as bad as when people are saving seats.
__________________
Apr '92 Off Property (Honeymoon): Dec '94, Feb '02 CR: Jan '05 WL/POR: Nov '06, Jan '09 HHI: Apr '07: First Trip "Home" to BWV: Jan '08: BWV, Mar '09: POR/BWV: Jan. '10 POR/AKV (Jambo), July '10: POFQ/BCV: Dec '10 AKV (Kidani)/POR:Sep. '11 POR/BWV, Jan '12: POP, Apr '12: POR/BWV, Jan '13: Conference/WL, Jul "13:POR. Dec '13: DOL/BLT, Jul '14: BWV 40th B-day Trip Report

Mickey'sApprentice is offline  
Old 12-08-2012, 07:56 AM   #29
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran
 
MAGICFOR2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 9,767

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBBTomorrow View Post
I definitely see the point about how nice it is to have the food delivered, but don't think it really applies to the issue of seat-saving. If somebody didn't want the kids in the line, why do they need to wait at a table? Couldn't they wait off to the side or on a bench? If the restaurant isn't crowded, go anywhere, but if it is crowded, why take seats from people who already have food?
Because it is not a safe world, and you can't just leave your small children sitting of to the side somewhere in a crowd of 200 people all jostling for their meals. With people trying to balance trays while fighting their way past the lines of people trying to get up to pick up their food, it is just too hard - especially with toddlers and babies.

Having someone bring you the food and sitting after you have ordered would make it easy to wait in line with your kids, no matter what age they are.
MAGICFOR2 is offline  
Old 12-08-2012, 08:38 AM   #30
BabsBunny
Mouseketeer
 
BabsBunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Central New York
Posts: 350

Where's the thread about people who stand in line for 15 minutes and then hem and haw when they get to the cashier?
__________________
Disney -- We have a love/hate thing. It's complicated.

DVC Fan and AKV Owner
BabsBunny is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:28 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.