Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2012, 01:20 PM   #1
Anjelica
Self-Declared Queen of WebSphere

Exclamation Police Protective Fund - Warning

I had never heard of this charity before. I happen to make the mistake of answering their call as it came up as a state area code (I've been planning a few parties lately and I know folks have been calling to RSVP with all different kinds of numbers).

I listened to the pitch and let them know to send me the information via snail mail (I was going to research them when I got the information).

Low and behold I found a few articles regarding them (some with comments from workers who left/were fired).

I just wanted to give a heads up as I'm usually savvy about these kind of things but I had never heard of them before so I was giving them the benefit of a doubt. It appears they make quite a few of their phone calls this time of year.

http://voices.yahoo.com/police-prote...m-5143169.html

"In 2006, Police Protective Fund raised $5,938,902 in donations yet awarded only $37,000 in death benefits. In 2007, Police Protective Fund raised a remarkable $6,881,915 in donations yet awarded just $50,000 in death benefits."
Anjelica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:25 PM   #2
HM
A tag from the TF is better than a personalized licence plate

When I get cold calls from charities, I just let them know that we've already allocated all our charitable giving for the year already.

Thanks for the heads-up though.
HM is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-07-2012, 01:30 PM   #3
JKMJ441724
Um, I'm going to go with "NO."

I tell them that I give to my church.

JKMJ441724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:39 PM   #4
Anjelica
Self-Declared Queen of WebSphere

I have my normal charities I give to on a regular basis (local church, other ones I have investigated pretty well) but I think that the reason I didn't put this person off was due to a very recent tragedy where a young police officer was killed in the local area. He left behind 2 small children. Contrary to popular belief I have a heart that beats so the coincidence definetly tugged at my heart.
Anjelica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:52 PM   #5
design_mom
I am probably more like my dad than I care to admit
I hate touching raw meat

Thanks for giving us the heads up. We recently had "trouble" with a police charity. I can't remember if that was the exact same name for it or not.

First, they told me that my husband had been contributing to them for years and they "just wanted to know if it was okay to repeat his usual donation." I didn't think my husband had contributed, because we usually talk about that stuff. When I told them I'd need to confirm with my husband first, the guy got downright belligerent with me!

I ended up telling him that I was making the decision myself and that we would *not* be donating this year regardless of any previous donations. (And as it turned out, my husband had never contributed, so that was a complete lie.)

My "go to" line is that I do not donate to charities who call me on the phone, but if they wish to send me information about their charity, I will research and consider it. A few of them have sent info (and I do consider them), but most do not.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:30 PM   #6
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

I've been getting alot of "unavailable" calls. I've answered a couple and most were charities. I say I'm not interested and hang up. I was looking at my caller ID when I got home the other night and I had 38 missed calls! They were all "unavailable" or "private". I was so glad the election was over and now this!

I could block anonymous calls on Verizon but I don't want to end up blocking something like a doctor's office because they sometimes come up private.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:07 PM   #7
christineann
DIS Veteran

I never donate to charities who call me unless they send me information through the mail first. That usually stops it right there. Check with your state government to see which charities are legit and which ones keep most of the funds collected.
christineann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:28 PM   #8
tvguy
Question anything the facts don't support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB View Post
I've been getting alot of "unavailable" calls. I've answered a couple and most were charities. I say I'm not interested and hang up. I was looking at my caller ID when I got home the other night and I had 38 missed calls! They were all "unavailable" or "private". I was so glad the election was over and now this!

I could block anonymous calls on Verizon but I don't want to end up blocking something like a doctor's office because they sometimes come up private.
Almost everyone I know has a blocked ID on their home and cell phones.
Only unblocked calls I seem to get are from charities and telemarketers, and yes I am on the do not call list, they all are in the groups exempt from do not call.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:33 PM   #9
tvguy

Here is a great resource to check out a charity before you donate.

http://www.guidestar.org/

You can see exactly where they spend their money. My wife got suckered into donating to the American Breast Cancer Association. They mailed the pledge, called back 4 days later to make sure she got the bill, called back another 4 days later to remind her to send her check, and now we get calls from all kinds of odd charities.
I checked guidestar...... American Breast Cancer Societies biggest expense? The outside firm they hire to raise money for them. Checked a couple of the other charities that called later, yep, they use the same outside fundraising firm.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:05 AM   #10
MickeySP
DIS Veteran

I always tell these police charities.

"Great I would love to doante. I will meet you at the local barracks/station, you can pick it there."

I pretty much get a click in response.

Don't donate to these guys they are ascam. If you want to really donate to LEO/FD then call your local or state agency they have the real info.
MickeySP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:52 PM   #11
mfd25wife
DIS Veteran

I got one of those. My DH is a cop so I told the guy I needed to talk to him first. He kept pushing and I again said I would talk to him, because I had never heard of the charity. He got belligerent. I asked him how successful he really thought he would be when he talked that way to an offcer's wife and I started spreading the word.
mfd25wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:23 AM   #12
kellyg403
She changes friends like she changes underwear
NEVER GO INTO THE BOWELS OF HELL aka teenager bedroom WITHOUT TURNING ON THE LIGHTS

Honestly, the first question I ask those charities that call me is if the person calling me is a 'volunteer' or a 'paid worker'. There are many charities that only use volunteers for phone calls etc to keep the majority of donations for their intended purpose. When you have a call center with 10 people calling for donations, each making 10 or 12 bucks an hour plus a bonus if they meet so much in donations, their overhead takes more of my money. I do not donate to them.

The Police Protection Fund is one I do not donate to for this very reason.

Kelly
Old 12-09-2012, 05:35 AM   #13
kaligal
DIS Veteran

If they won't mail it to me, I don't even consider donating.

The only people that call who I donate to are the ones who come pick up clothes and stuff from the house.
Fantasmic sucks.
kaligal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:44 PM   #14
tvguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaligal View Post
If they won't mail it to me, I don't even consider donating.

The only people that call who I donate to are the ones who come pick up clothes and stuff from the house.
Even scammers will mail you a bill.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: