Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2012, 08:24 PM   #31
Kevin1281
Earning My Ears

The first bunch of posts pretty much convinced me that I need to see if it is possible to reschedule for later in the summer (right before my wife goes back to school/work). The more recent posts now have me thinking it may not be too bad.

When is it that schools down south normally start up again???
Kevin1281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:29 PM   #32
Kevin1281
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin1281 View Post
When is it that schools down south normally start up again???
^^^After the summer that is.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-08-2012, 09:02 PM   #33
kaybird
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflmaster View Post
I have to say being at Disney the last two July 4th weeks, I have to disagree with others saying it is EXTREMELY busy or crazy.

My family loves going during this week.

You WILL need to plan however. I am a big planner so that helps a lot.

You will need to have your ADRs in line and park plans as well.

I would suggest a few things:

- take afternoon breaks if you can (going to the pool or taking that baby home to cool off will be a life saver)
- take with you a couple of frogg chilly pads (they keep you cool all day long if needed)
- freeze some water and allow to melt as the day goes for drinking (if this is not an option then just simply ask for cold water during the day at the park.. its free)
- do MK on July 3rd and HS or EP on July 4th. (MK WILL be crazy as others have suggested on the 4th, so simply take in the fireworks on the 3rd instead)
- don't take anything with you into the parks that is not necessary (its a lot more comfortable in the summer when you don't have to carry a big backpack. Or simply make sure the stroller you take has a place to put your bag when walking around)
- PLAN PLAN PLAN (sorry but during the summer and yes this particular week you need to know what park you want to go each day and a good overall plan of attack)
- read easywdw and touring plans to schedule your park days (both of these places are great to look at when trying to figure out what park for each day and tourning plans even has an app to help schedule the rides for the day)
- MOST IMPORTANT HAVE FUN AND BE CAREFREE! (look people are going to be cranky and hot and some are just miserable, but if you plan correctly and take afternoon breaks to cool off the 4th of July is ausome. You just need to understand that other cranky people are not going to bother you)

Don't simply throw July 4th out because it is busy. The entire summer is busy unless you go the last week or two in August. Its hot all summer long and you will miss out on some fantastic fireworks and park events if you skip this week.

Take it from someone that enjoys going this time of the year and you'll have a great time. Just plan ahead of time.

edit: if you can stay at the monorail resorts or the Epcot resorts this will be a major plus for afternoon breaks
I agree with this!! We have gone July 4th many many time's (Including our first trip for our honeymoon) It is hot, and crowded and I LOVE IT!!! Even better than Christmas I think! Tour the Campgrounds on July 4th, lots of decorations and the golf carts are decked up for a parade. We love to stay at the CR for the 4th. Watch the MK fireworks from the balcony, then hotfoot it to the monorail and see the show at EPCOT. Because it is busy, there is LOTS of entertainment. Take it easy in the heat, and you will have a terrific time!

kaybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:48 PM   #34
blessedby3
Actually Blessedby4 now, but cant change my username :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin1281 View Post
^^^After the summer that is.
We are in SW Virginia and we start back up around Aug 25th.
How long does your wife get for Christmas break? If it goes a couple of weeks into Jan, maybe that would be a good time to go. I feel bad for folks who have no option of times to go because (besides summer) they are teachers.
Good luck to you whatever you decide to go with
8/87-Disneymoon, offsite 7/92-DD's 1st trip 2/94-Land/Sea, Dixie Landings 10/99-offsite 4/03-CR tower MK view 11/05-POP 12/06-WL 1/08-POP, DD's Grad Trip 3/09-Poly 5/10-BLT, 1BR 6/11-POP 10/12 Bonnet Creek 6/14-Bonnet Creek/2 nights at AOA
DH(48) Me(47) DD(24)DSIL (24) DS(19) DD(15) DD(7)

Patiently (NOT) waiting for a new ticker

Check out my May2010 trip report:
Welcome Gurley Family....you are FAMILY OF THE DAY!!
blessedby3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:39 PM   #35
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

We avoid going to WDW at that time like the plague because of all the things you mentioned, but obviously a lot of people do go, so just so you know what to expect - it will be crazy crowded and *very* hot - the mixture would drive us wild. Good luck!
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:57 PM   #36
Allieran3
Live in my magical Disney bubble with Grumpy and a teenager!!!

Sorry wrong post
Old 12-09-2012, 05:04 AM   #37
kaligal
DIS Veteran

July is extremely hot and unbelievably humid. For some older people, it is literally unbearably humid and they are taken away in ambulances.

July is a really terrible time for older people to go. Seriously.

This continues through August and part of October. At some point in October, the humidity breaks and all is well. Every when it is hot, it is okay.

I'd advise leaving for Orlando the day they are done with work. Seriously. I'd leave that afternoon.

Later in the summer will suck.
Fantasmic sucks.
kaligal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:52 PM   #38
Kevin1281
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedby3 View Post
We are in SW Virginia and we start back up around Aug 25th.
How long does your wife get for Christmas break? If it goes a couple of weeks into Jan, maybe that would be a good time to go. I feel bad for folks who have no option of times to go because (besides summer) they are teachers.
Good luck to you whatever you decide to go with
Unfortunately, she doesn't get long enough for Christmas break. This, plus we have her birthday 1/1 and my son's first birthday 1/8.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:54 PM   #39
Kevin1281
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaligal View Post
I'd advise leaving for Orlando the day they are done with work. Seriously. I'd leave that afternoon.

Later in the summer will suck.
This was our plan, but Hurricane Sandy added a week onto the school year, and then a good buddy of mine gets married the following Saturday. Not doable. Then, it is 4th of July week!
Old 12-11-2012, 11:27 PM   #40
FOV
Mouseketeer

Kevin, we'll see you there! I think good planning will make a difference.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: