DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Member Services
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2012, 08:52 AM   #1
TyGuy
Mouseketeer

Renting vs transfer points

I know this has probably been answered a number of times but this is my first time looking into renting vs transfering points. We are looking to take our granddaughter to WDW next November and are short on points. So am I correct in my options:

1. We could rent points for our stay from another member - That member would make a reservation for us and we would rent the exact number of points need for the stay.

2. We could pay someone to transfer their points to us and then we could use the points as we wish (subject to the banking/ borrowing rules). These points would be for the home resort and use year of the person making the transfer.

Did I get it correct? We are also looking at a cash reservation but it appears renting/ transfering points is cheaper.

Thanks
Ty

Nov 13 VWL, Oct 12 VWL, Nov 11 BLT, Dec 10 BWV and YC, Dec 09 BLT, Oct 08 YC, Dec 07 YC, Nov 06 (Jersey Week) YC, Nov 02 (Jersey Week) YC, Nov 00 (Work Conference) YC, June 00 CR, Jan 99 CR, Feb 98 YC, Oct 97 CR, Jan 96 DI, Jan 94 FW, Sep 87 FW, and a bunch before that I donít remember the dates
TyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:26 AM   #2
montrealdisneylovers
Mouseketeer

Sounds correct to me.

Use year is very important because transferred points can be banked and not borrowed. You should keep this in mind when looking for your transfer of points.

I needed a few points last January and as it was my first time and I was a little unsure of what I was doing, I emailed my agent at the Timeshare store. I told him exactly what I wanted to do and he was able to transfer me some points that fit my needs. I had to take a few more than I actually needed but was able to juggle my own points to make it work.

I would definitely look to use them again if I needed points and had a hard time finding them on our rent trade board.

Good luck!
montrealdisneylovers is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-07-2012, 10:22 AM   #3
CarolMN
DVC Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Just confirming - you have it correct.

BWV - Early Morning on May 2, 2008
CarolMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:42 PM   #4
TyGuy
Mouseketeer

Thanks for your replies. I have a couple more questions which I haven't been able to find answers for:

1. If I am looking to do a trip in November of 2013, would I have to buy transfered points that are available during that use year or could I get 2012 points and bank them?

2. If I rent points, I know that the person renting the points would have to book our ME and DDP if we decided to go that route. If we didn't do DDP, would we be able to book our own dining reservations?

Thanks
Ty

Nov 13 VWL, Oct 12 VWL, Nov 11 BLT, Dec 10 BWV and YC, Dec 09 BLT, Oct 08 YC, Dec 07 YC, Nov 06 (Jersey Week) YC, Nov 02 (Jersey Week) YC, Nov 00 (Work Conference) YC, June 00 CR, Jan 99 CR, Feb 98 YC, Oct 97 CR, Jan 96 DI, Jan 94 FW, Sep 87 FW, and a bunch before that I donít remember the dates
TyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:26 PM   #5
lions1995
DIS Veteran

1) 2012 points would work for you. If they are December 2012, you would not need to bank them. If they were any other UY in 2012, you wold have to bank them to use them in Nov 2013. Any 2013 UY (EXCEPT DEC) would work as well.

2) If you rent, you can stil make your own dining AND ME reservation. If you wanted the DDP, you would have to work that through the member. I would recomend buying Disney Gift Cards and having the member charge the DDP to them. That way you do not need to provide your CC number to anyone.

If I were you, I would look to find a transfer. Be aware that the home resort stays with the transfer, so yo will probably be looking for on ethat matches yours. Or book a slit stay at 11 months and try to change at 7 months.
lions1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:35 PM   #6
Bronte
DIS Veteran

Interesting topic ..
Always learning something new when I read through the DIS Boards.
If i really wanted to get a studio at BLT and found someone with a BLT contract to transfer the needed points into my account I would be able to book now for December 30 right ??? What is the going rate for transfer points ???
Right now I was able to get then nights I needed for our trip at our home resort (BCV) but to have one night at BLT for the fireworks on the 30th would be great.
Bronte is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: