Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2012, 05:33 PM   #16
lizdotcom99
Tags Have Been Donated

4 years out here....and photo journaled my first year at Disney starting at 3 months out!!

I ordered many meals off the kids menu (still do) or an appetizer. However, at the early stage of your surgery, I would strongly suggest speaking with the chef for things you are not certain of.......like SALAD DRESSINGS and SAUCES!!! Many of those items have hidden sugar, and I am thinking dumping at Disney is not fun.

The chefs were more than happy to discuss my options or even prepare something special for me that was in my program guidelines early out.

Buffets are so not worth it...and they do not offer a reduced price...as others have said.

I was also able to leave my protein shakes in the fridge at first aid...so they stayed cold. Not sure if they do that now.....as I know they will not do that at Land.

Have a great time!! And don't be afraid to advocate for you ....and your eating!
Old 12-10-2012, 08:20 PM   #17
davedmaine
DIS Veteran

Don't take this the wrong way, but shouldn't your doctor be the one to tell you what you can and can't eat, portion sizes, etc? Probably not too many medical degrees by those who are offering opinions on here..
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-10-2012, 10:46 PM   #18
AlohaPolynesian
DIS Veteran

Hi - Can't offer advice from a surgery standpoint, but I was once a vegan on my trip to WDW and can attest to the awesome dining folks who made sure that I was accommodated. I have no doubt in my mind that if you have any concerns about ingredients in the foods that they can let you know.

I love going to Disney because I know they are great with food allergies/diet plans/etc. Good luck!
Old 12-11-2012, 11:26 AM   #19
shellybaxter
Dis Veteran
Disney Restaurants for one hundred Alex

Seems Disney is not as accommodating of the needs for gastric bypass patients as they are for other dietary needs
. . . it is tough to accommodate everyone or every malady
. . . after all, gastric bypass does not fall under ADA
. . . although medically important/advised, it is still elective surgery
[/QUOTE]
While Gastric surgery can be elective (mine was - although I did it to reverse my propensity for diabeties) to can be to correct life threatening situations. One of my employees had diabeties that was out of controll and her kidneys were shutting down. Her choices were essentially to die or have the surgery. She had the surgery. I wouldn't classified that as "elective"
shellybaxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:31 AM   #20
shellybaxter
Dis Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedmaine View Post
Don't take this the wrong way, but shouldn't your doctor be the one to tell you what you can and can't eat, portion sizes, etc? Probably not too many medical degrees by those who are offering opinions on here..
Actually with Gastric Bypass it is kind of a trial and error thing. The dietion will give guidelines, but everyone's body is different. Some people can't tolorate sweets of any kinds, others, like me, can have a small portion. Some have trouble processing meat - I don't. Some can eat 2oz at a time, some 3 oz, and some 4 oz. It just depends on the person. You go through the classes to get the basic guidelines (no caffine because its a diarectic - although I can take 5-hour energy if I drink a lot of water, no carbinated drinks because they stretch out your stomach, etc), but each individual person is different.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:36 AM   #21
shellybaxter
Dis Veteran

My take on eating post gastric is that I still enjoy food, so like some others in this thread, I still order what I want and simply eat less of it. If there is someone to share it with all the better. We eat at Signatures a lot, so I will order apps and entrees and share a dessert with DH (and maybe an entree if we can agree - we always share the app anyway). We will go to buffetd for the characters anythough to will be expensive. I've just resigned myself to the fact that I will "waste" food. No biggie - its worth it to continue to enjoy what is a big part of our vacations for me - disney dinning.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:25 PM   #22
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelbuddhist View Post
Seems Disney is not as accommodating of the needs for gastric bypass patients as they are for other dietary needs, but it is doable with planning and forethought.
How do you figure that Disney's not as accomodating? If your surgery results in you needing alterations to your food so that you can safely eat it then chefs will do so (this does happen for some). Those of us with a variety of special dietary needs still pay the same as (actually sometimes more than) everybody else. We do not EVER expect to pay less than anybody else even when the only side offered is a kids' package of grapes or apple sauce instead of a regular side or a small package of two tiny cookies instead of a big cake. We frequently get less than everybody else (there are occasions where we get something really special that others don't get but they are far outweighed by occasions where we get less like a scoop of sorbet instead of a decadent gooey dessert) but we always pay the same as or more than everybody else.

There are reports of issues with sharing meals or ordering from the kids' menu at non-Disney owned restaurants but Disney themselves are accomodating; they just won't change the price (for anybody).

Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010

February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
clanmcculloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:59 PM   #23
Babbletrish
DIS Veteran

Whatever you do, make sure you get a note from your doctor or surgeon explaining your situation. I went to WDW two weeks after having my Gallbladder removed and everyone was extremely sensitive to my needs. Mind you this was a few years ago, but hopefully this advice still applies.
Babbletrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:32 PM   #24
Moira222
Can't get enough of the Magic & Pixie Dust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelbuddhist View Post
We have e-mailed two different addresses at WDW and the Mom's panel and received very differing answers. Here's what we think--- no buffets will allow adult to eat for kid's price (except one Disney mom says The Biergarten did???)
no "take out" from any buffets for a person who eats only a few ounces for a later small meal. most kid's menus are not very friendly for gastric bypass patients-- lot's of fried food and high fat meats as well as sugary desserts. So buffets seem to be out unless you can live with paying full price and eating so very little. Table service seems better fit since one can order just an appetizer or share with another. WDW says no reduction in portion size nor cost. Of course, you can take out whatever you don't eat for later if it won't spoil and you want to carry left overs with you. Disney mom said character meet and greet buffets did allow her to pay only an entertainment fee and not eat nor pay for food. We received conflicting answers about one person ordering from the menu and the other eating something prepared and brought from outside the restaurant. No disney cast member can warm, microwave, or cook anything you might bring in. Also all agreed no adult can purchase and use child's DDP under any circumstances. Seems Disney is not as accommodating of the needs for gastric bypass patients as they are for other dietary needs, but it is doable with planning and forethought.
This is an exciting concept of the "entertainment fee". Akershus banquet is our family's must do every trip to see the princesses and for the breakfast. I dont relish spending $45 fr a few ounces of food but would be happy to pay a smaller fee to share the experience with my family. I can understand that this is a managers discretion thing, but would never have thought to ask.thanks!
Moira222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:35 PM   #25
Moira222

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiths02 View Post
One piece of advice from a family member of someone who had the surgery. Especially since you are so soon out from the surgery, be very careful not only of the amount you eat but of what you eat. I know others said, "I just order what I want and throw the rest away." This might work great for several years post-op, but if you are only 2-3 months post-op, be careful of the bites you take. My uncle ate the wrong things when he visited us (he was still eating small amounts then, but not closely watching what he ate), and he was in the bathroom what seemed like the whole visit. I would rather skip some of the eating at WDW then spend the whole trip in the bathroom (and WDW is FULL of food that would have sent him to the bathroom).

I would not use this as a time to try a bunch of new food. Stick to what you have been eating the past 2-3 months before your trip.
I am hoping that by the time we get there i will be fairly comfortable with what foods work best for me. The idea of an extended bathroom session is not very magical is it?Lol
Old 12-11-2012, 06:46 PM   #26
Moira222

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedmaine View Post
Basically i have a list of foods to avoid, and guidelines for healthy eating with a focus on low fat protein...not much different than what a dietitian would give to any one. The trick is knowing which foods will be better handled by my unique physiology..while my pre-surgery self would have suffered a little indigestion from an overly fatty or seasoned food, my post-surgery stomach will react much more strongly to that same dish, causing extreme discomfort and major intestinalactivity. the restaurants as WDW use many different seasonings and cooking methods that i don't use at home, so i won't know how i handle it til i have it the first time. So that's why i asked here. between getting feedback about things like kids portions vs adult fees, knowing which restaurants may have more good selections over others,etc, there is always something to be learned on the DIS!
Old 12-11-2012, 06:50 PM   #27
Moira222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moira222 View Post
Basically i have a list of foods to avoid, and guidelines for healthy eating with a focus on low fat protein...not much different than what a dietitian would give to any one. The trick is knowing which foods will be better handled by my unique physiology..while my pre-surgery self would have suffered a little indigestion from an overly fatty or seasoned food, my post-surgery stomach will react much more strongly to that same dish, causing extreme discomfort and major intestinalactivity. the restaurants as WDW use many different seasonings and cooking methods that i don't use at home, so i won't know how i handle it til i have it the first time. So that's why i asked here. between getting feedback about things like kids portions vs adult fees, knowing which restaurants may have more good selections over others,etc, there is always something to be learned on the DIS!
Folks thanks for this great feedback. I dont respond to every post becase i use my nook to surf and itsa hassle. 8-)
Old 12-11-2012, 10:18 PM   #28
RMoneyTheHBomb
Mouseketeer

Just got back yesterday and am 6 months out on the sleeve. All in all, things went well. We did le cellier and my wide and I split the mushroom filet. (Well I had 1/3 of it)

The other table serve we did was ohana. Delicious, but its too much to pay 30 dollars for a few bites. Sad, but is a small price to pay for being healthier than I used to be.

The rest of the trip, I ate off my wife's quick serves and all seemed to go well. I had some moments where I went overboard and paid the price, but it was still an awesome trip. Different though as we used to be deluxe dining plan people.
RMoneyTheHBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:36 AM   #29
ChristineNic
Mouseketeer

I am a year post gastric band. I have been to WDW several times since my surgery and every TS resturant has been great. I have ordered appetizers, shared entrees with DH, and ordered from the kid's menu.

We don't do the dining plan and tend to avoid buffets, but we did that prior to my surgery as well.

My band won't tolerate anything that is flour dense - bread, pasta, cakes, or pie crusts, dry/tough meats, or grape skins. Rather than ask for substitutions for things, I ask that they be left off my plate or just don't eat them.

I have never had a restaurant at WDW deny any accomodation. However, I have never requested a reduced price or child's price, either.

The best advice that I can offer is to talk with your server before your order.
ChristineNic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:50 AM   #30
Moira222

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMoneyTheHBomb View Post
Just got back yesterday and am 6 months out on the sleeve. All in all, things went well. We did le cellier and my wide and I split the mushroom filet. (Well I had 1/3 of it)

The other table serve we did was ohana. Delicious, but its too much to pay 30 dollars for a few bites. Sad, but is a small price to pay for being healthier than I used to be.

The rest of the trip, I ate off my wife's quick serves and all seemed to go well. I had some moments where I went overboard and paid the price, but it was still an awesome trip. Different though as we used to be deluxe dining plan people.
Did they have any issues with sharing a dish? We have a 9 YO, and she and I often choose the same thing, so I could see sharing a dish with her. Isn't Ohana where they serve you family style at the table? I have not eaten there before. I KWYM about the pricing but in the long run, well worth it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineNic View Post
I am a year post gastric band. I have been to WDW several times since my surgery and every TS resturant has been great. I have ordered appetizers, shared entrees with DH, and ordered from the kid's menu.

We don't do the dining plan and tend to avoid buffets, but we did that prior to my surgery as well.

My band won't tolerate anything that is flour dense - bread, pasta, cakes, or pie crusts, dry/tough meats, or grape skins. Rather than ask for substitutions for things, I ask that they be left off my plate or just don't eat them.

I have never had a restaurant at WDW deny any accomodation. However, I have never requested a reduced price or child's price, either.

The best advice that I can offer is to talk with your server before your order.
I am so excited that the newer kids menus seem to be "real" food as opposed to pizza and chicken nuggets everywhere.

I will have to waste at least one buffet when we go -- sadly its really the best way to have character interactions and I can't see a way around it till DD gets a little older. (well, who am I kidding? I LOVE the character interactions probably more than she does!!!)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: