Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2012, 01:28 PM   #76
Buckalew11
2013 1/2 Marathon Finisher!!! Woohoo!!

I wondered...esp. when other posters questioned it. I hate to be cynical but there was something off if many things posted about it IMO. As you all know, my BIL has left my sister for a girl who is 39 years younger than him. There were things she posted that did not jive with some of the things we have experienced BUT, each situation is different (but much the same) and there were things in her story that weren't the same that should have been.

My novel will be much better.

Christmas means the 1/2 marathon is right around the corner so between beautifying my clients, my home and running, running, running. I'm tired!

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Shining at the end of everyday
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
And tomorrow is just a dream away
Buckalew11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:31 PM   #77
Allison
- Join date March 2004 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMom View Post
Come on, don't be such a skeptic. The story is completely different. In THAT story, the baby is a GIRL!!!!
But here is the query-is it the same person 5 years later or someone else stealing a really old story? Sadly, we will never know.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-07-2012, 01:40 PM   #78
Handbag Lady
Disneyland Bride 2000
If you can't say somethng nice, come sit next to me
Has the wherewithall to save bakery goods from earthquakes

I must be a sucker. Or a Pollyanna. Maybe I am a sucktacular Pollyanna. Or a really good one.

I fell for that story from the start. Her cats, well, they just broke my heart. Who could up and leave their kitties? I figured she was desperate to just get away.

Ah well. I fear I will still always err on the side of humanity so I'll probably fall for the next sob story. I'd rather do that than dismiss someone who truly needs support.

I am so proud of our community board. I think we all agreed for once on that thread.
WDW: October 2010: DCL, Poly, and the Grand for the 10th Anniversary Extravaganza!, Oct/Nov. 2008 CBR / Sept. 2007 CBR / Oct. 2006 AKL / August 2005 POR (hello Katrina!) / 1998 Off Campus at the Grosvenor (ENGAGED AT EPCOT )
DL: Twice a month for years / Multiple visits since birth / 1989 CM on Main Street / 2000 Disneyland Fairy Tale Wedding
DCL: Oct 2010 4-Day Caribbean / Nov 2011 Mexican Riviera / Oct 2012 Mexican Riviera
Handbag Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:41 PM   #79
WebmasterKathy

Not Podcast Kathy, I'm the other one
Bring on the tequila and chocolates!

DISboards Administrator

While we don't normally comment on these matters, a lot of you are invested in this one. I want to share a little background.

We've known for a long time that this was a regular poster using a new alias. I think she even stated that in her first post. Not a big deal; we frequently see "I'm using a new name for this embarrassing post."

The two usernames were telling vastly different stories. This one had all the drama and international moves. The other incarnation was sharing little details of normal, happy couple hood and nice little things her DH did for her.

Again, tall tales are not a big deal. But as the drama escalated and the "baby" arrived, generous and caring people started talking about sending gifts and cards. That was the tipping point where the entertaining tall tale leaned toward taking advantage of people in tangible, real-life ways.

And that's where I closed it.

The poster was never in Canada or California, there is no Henry. I was in contact with the poster in question, there is no doubt about this being a mistake.

So that's the story.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:42 PM   #80
EMom
Comes from a long line of all fork hole pokers
I had the auburn haired Chrissy doll whose hair grew. She lost most of it in an incense fire. Don't ask

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allison View Post
But here is the query-is it the same person 5 years later or someone else stealing a really old story? Sadly, we will never know.
I admit I only looked at the first page of the.....similar.....thread. I guess I'd have to read all of it to see if the author ran off to Canada. Or Mexico. You get the idea. I don't have the energy to follow her trail. Maybe some of those DISers who can quote what someone said 7 years ago on a Sunday evening when it was raining, but the poster lied and said it was sunny, yada, yada, yada, have the incentive to read all of the other post and see if the story continued along the same lines. Stalking skills have got to be good for something.

I try to give posters the benefit of the doubt. Even so, there are some here who give me pause. They post almost daily with threads that leave me shaking my head. I'd almost rather they be scammers than real, because the reality can be bizarre.

And me? Not remotely ready for Christmas.
EMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:44 PM   #81
EMom
Comes from a long line of all fork hole pokers
I had the auburn haired Chrissy doll whose hair grew. She lost most of it in an incense fire. Don't ask

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebmasterKathy View Post
While we don't normally comment on these matters, a lot of you are invested in this one. I want to share a little background.

We've known for a long time that this was a regular poster using a new alias. I think she even stated that in her first post. Not a big deal; we frequently see "I'm using a new name for this embarrassing post."

The two usernames were telling vastly different stories. This one had all the drama and international moves. The other incarnation was sharing little details of normal, happy couple hood and nice little things her DH did for her.

Again, tall tales are not a big deal. But as the drama escalated and the "baby" arrived, generous and caring people started talking about sending gifts and cards. That was the tipping point where the entertaining tall tale leaned toward taking advantage of people in tangible, real-life ways.

There is no Canada, no Henry. I was in contact with the poster in question, there is no doubt about this being a mistake.

So that's the story.
Are they now banned? In any incarnation?
EMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:44 PM   #82
Missy1961
Knows who did it and why
Fell for it on 17th birthday
Can't travel in old underwear and socks!
Stop eating with food in your mouths!

I read the OP, and had a feeling it was some kind of scam. But I just didn't feel like posting anything negative in case it was true. Honestly, after more than 10 years of posting on message boards, my fake-o-meter goes up very quickly. However, I see nothing wrong with anyone who offered advice, said a prayer or had a good thought for this person. I hate that I've become so cynical about posts from newbies that are all drama, but I've seen this kind of ending quite a few times.

However, I really hope that no-one sent money or gifts to that person. I know someone will say "it's their money to lose", but it bothers me that people scam money. Instead of giving the money to a stranger on the internet, donate it to a local charity that you know needs help.
Kate: The moment that I met you, my life became extraordinary. You taught me to be my best self, to look forward to tomorrow’s adventures. And when I was vulnerable, you were strong. I love you Richard Castle and I want to live my life in the warmth of your smile and the strength of your embrace. I promise you that I will love you, be your friend, and your partner in crime and in life. Always.

Rick: The moment we met, my life became extraordinary. You taught me more about myself than I knew there was to learn. You are the joy in my heart. You’re the last person I want to see every night when I close my eyes. I love you Katherine Beckett. And the mystery of you is the one I want to spend the rest of my life exploring. I promise to love you, to be your friend and your partner in crime and in life. Till death do us part, for the time of our lives.

Kate: This has been an epic year, Life's been full of joy & tears. Solving crimes & catching killers, Just like Castle's favorite thrillers. We share a passion every day, As partners go, we're here to stay
Missy1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:45 PM   #83
wdwmom0f3
Disney Dreamer
I just spent 30 minutes on youtube watching people clean their ears out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurvy View Post
I had serious doubts from the beginning, and became completely sure it was fake when she said the girl's mother was going to visit the guy. I'm sure if the story had continued, next the mother and the guy would have ended up in a relationship. I wonder if the mods stepped in when they did because it became apparent that people were actually sending her money or gifts.
I found that really odd myself, and before that I questioned it when there was not an update after a few days, but like most everyone else I fell back into the lie.

Whats funny to me now is that I was actually almost jealous of the she handled herself through all of that, because I would have been a enraged idiot had I been in her shoes! I'm pretty sure my ex dh would have been missing a body part too.

As for Christmas, I finished decorating last night and I am going shopping all day tomorrow to try to get most of it done.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:46 PM   #84
WebmasterKathy

Not Podcast Kathy, I'm the other one
Bring on the tequila and chocolates!

DISboards Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMom View Post
Are they now banned? In any incarnation?
She's gone. Both of her.

And put up our tree last Sunday and finished decorating it last night!
Old 12-07-2012, 01:53 PM   #85
disneydee6
DIS Veteran

Oh man!! I hadn't posted on the thread, but I certainly did read it and check in on the thread. I can't believe that someone went through all the trouble to lie a bunch of nice, supportive people! I certainly believed that what that OP was saying was the truth. I was duped lol. How nuts!!?! And props to the mods for shedding light on the fiction. Not that we should all believe everything we read, esp on the internet, but oh goodness, I'd like to think there are still people who are honest (in person or behind a screen). I can't help but laugh, wth? lol

On another note, I am getting annoyed at the lack of Christmasy weather we are having in NY. I am sick of rain every weekend!! Let it snow...or at least be cold and nice out!! It's not feeling like Christmas, it's feeling like seattle. Happy sidenote, my boyfriends GoPro came in the mail today!! He is gonna flip!! Shhh, don't tell!
disneydee6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:55 PM   #86
HippieChickadee
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydee6 View Post
Oh man!! I hadn't posted on the thread, but I certainly did read it and check in on the thread. I can't believe that someone went through all the trouble to lie a bunch of nice, supportive people! I certainly believed that what that OP was saying was the truth. I was duped lol. How nuts!!?! And props to the mods for shedding light on the fiction. Not that we should all believe everything we read, esp on the internet, but oh goodness, I'd like to think there are still people who are honest (in person or behind a screen). I can't help but laugh, wth? lol

On another note, I am getting annoyed at the lack of Christmasy weather we are having in NY. I am sick of rain every weekend!! Let it snow...or at least be cold and nice out!! It's not feeling like Christmas, it's feeling like seattle. Happy sidenote, my boyfriends GoPro came in the mail today!! He is gonna flip!! Shhh, don't tell!
I know nothing about the thread being discussed (and it sounds like I should be glad I don't)

but I had to comment on your weather post, as I'm sitting here watching it rain.

RAIN!!!!! DECEMBER!!!!

Is this going to be the second year in a row without sledding? No snowmen? No ice skating? What is going on????
HippieChickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:56 PM   #87
wdwmom0f3
Disney Dreamer
I just spent 30 minutes on youtube watching people clean their ears out

Quote:
She's gone. Both of her.

And put up our tree last Sunday and finished decorating it last night!
Thank you for letting us know. I am really shocked that it was someone who was already a member here, but I am glad that they are now gone. I hope that there is a way to make sure that they can't just rejoin the Dis, but I dont know how all of that works.

Thanks again!!
Old 12-07-2012, 02:00 PM   #88
Mazel
Proud Navy Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwmom0f3 View Post
Thank you for letting us know. I am really shocked that it was someone who was already a member here, but I am glad that they are now gone. I hope that there is a way to make sure that they can't just rejoin the Dis, but I dont know how all of that works.

Thanks again!!
But now it will drive me crazy trying to figure out who it was. lol
Old 12-07-2012, 02:01 PM   #89
momrek06
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OPShell Smuggler!
BEE FRAGMENTS??? I do NOT eat bees!!

Quote:

The poster was never in Canada or California, there is no Henry. I was in contact with the poster in question, there is no doubt about this being a mistake.

So that's the story.
Thanks, Kathy for updating all of us that got so sucked into this thread.

Its kind of reminding me of this new show on MTV called 'CATFISH'. Has anyone seen that show? People scamming people on the internet in relationships. Really sad for the innocent party that allowed themselves to get sucked into this so-call relationship only to find out it was one big scam.

These scammers need psychiatric help.

KAR

momrek06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:06 PM   #90
Rylee
DIS Veteran

Quote:

So that's the story.
Thank you for explaining this.

&

Rylee is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: