Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2012, 08:41 PM   #151
Halloweenqueen
Whenever Candle Lights Flicker...

I did bring it up a couple of times. I thought it was odd that she would make up a new username with trk (trick).

This is sad, but not usual. I was part of a forum many years ago and there was a very popular poster named Southern Comfort. He said he was a long haul truck driver. He would share the most funny and unusual stories from the road. We all kept track of his routes and were eager to have him check in whenever and wherever he could find Internet.

A couple weeks went by and he didn't post. Everyone was worried, even the celebrity who made the forum. He finally returned with news that he had suffered a heart attack and was finally out of the hospital and now living with his sister. Someone suggested that we take donations to help him. Soon the website had thousands of dollars to gift him.

Funny thing that he would not give anyone his real name or address. I guess a moderator did some digging and discovered the guy had several accounts. He even posted inquiring about Southern Comfort.

The guy actually returned to call us all losers and suckers. It was very sad because many people had grown to think of him as a friend.

I will never understand why someone would do such a thing.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:48 PM   #152
ebtbmom
DIS Veteran

Dang, we got burned! I started to send her a nice message about cutting the baby's daddy loose (I had experienced a jerk of a baby daddy too) but for some reason I just kept putting it off. Maybe that was my intuition, or I just got lazy!

Maybe we should start rating each other as "trusted posters" kinda like sellers on EBay!
11/2004 1st trip, ASM,11/2006 2nd trip, POP,6/2008 day trip DLR,11/2008 3rd trip, POP,1/2010 DLR at DLH!,1/2011 1st solo POFQ, 11/2011 POR, 3/2012 B-day trip! 10/2012 POP, 6/2013 day trip DLP 11/2013 POP 2/2014 CSR 2nd solo!

ebtbmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-07-2012, 08:50 PM   #153
momtojandj
Mouseketeer

wow! I am another one of those that believes everything I read..shame what people do !
momtojandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:02 PM   #154
wdwmom0f3
Disney Dreamer
I just spent 30 minutes on youtube watching people clean their ears out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halloweenqueen View Post
I did bring it up a couple of times. I thought it was odd that she would make up a new username with trk (trick).

This is sad, but not usual. I was part of a forum many years ago and there was a very popular poster named Southern Comfort. He said he was a long haul truck driver. He would share the most funny and unusual stories from the road. We all kept track of his routes and were eager to have him check in whenever and wherever he could find Internet.

A couple weeks went by and he didn't post. Everyone was worried, even the celebrity who made the forum. He finally returned with news that he had suffered a heart attack and was finally out of the hospital and now living with his sister. Someone suggested that we take donations to help him. Soon the website had thousands of dollars to gift him.

Funny thing that he would not give anyone his real name or address. I guess a moderator did some digging and discovered the guy had several accounts. He even posted inquiring about Southern Comfort.

The guy actually returned to call us all losers and suckers. It was very sad because many people had grown to think of him as a friend.

I will never understand why someone would do such a thing.
Oh wow! That was before my time I guess , because I don't remember it. It's a shame that people do this kind of thing on here. I remember the woman who was expecting the twins. That was the biggest scam that I have seen here but there have been others.

In this case, the recent closed thread, I wish they had closed it when they first determined that it was a fake. Waiting for us to talk about sending gifts or money seems kind of silly to me. If we are being lied to I think we should be told as soon as its detected. It's no big deal I guess, but I think it would be nice.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:08 PM   #155
cornflake
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwmom0f3 View Post
Oh wow! That was before my time I guess , because I don't remember it. It's a shame that people do this kind of thing on here. I remember the woman who was expecting the twins. That was the biggest scam that I have seen here but there have been others.

In this case, the recent closed thread, I wish they had closed it when they first determined that it was a fake. Waiting for us to talk about sending gifts or money seems kind of silly to me. If we are being lied to I think we should be told as soon as its detected. It's no big deal I guess, but I think it would be nice.
I think the problem with that is that it'd quickly turn the mods into having to verify tons of random posts about bad stories or tragic circumstances or what have you.

People would be all 'I'll wait to see if this is verified before I comment,' and if the mods missed one, people would complain and etc. Not in a malicious way, just in that once you set an expectation, you know?
cornflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:14 PM   #156
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

Thank you Kathy for the update. Wow, I still find it hard to believe anyone would go to all that effort to fool us.

I plan to go wrap some gifts, so I guess that is some progress on my end.

chloelovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:18 PM   #157
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebmasterKathy View Post
She's gone. Both of her.

And put up our tree last Sunday and finished decorating it last night!
I just saw this, at least her actions had consequences. Thank you for that.

On the bright side, your beautiful tree is up for you to enjoy!

Old 12-07-2012, 09:18 PM   #158
Peanut Giggleface
Embarrassing my children... just another service I provide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLiveDisney View Post
What a shame. I truly prayed for that woman everyday and her story really touched me. Funny how in the middle of that thread I and a few others were concerned it was all a sham and then brushed it off, and now we know it really was a sham.
Yeah, I'm right there with ya. I prayed for her several times and thought I should post more to the thread to encourage her. I just never got around to it, and now I know why my instincts weren't telling me to do so. I believed everything she said. To me the periodic checking in and the information she gave us seemed real enough. I can't imagine someone going to that kind of length (over that long of a time period) to spin such a lie. Really sad.
Peanut Giggleface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:20 PM   #159
Elinor Dashwood
DIS Veteran

Oh man, so it was all a hoax? Why do people do that? I posted on her thread too, and I felt horrible for her and her unborn baby. I can't believe the lengths people will go to just to fool people. It makes me certainly weary of believing stories on the disboards now. I feel like an idiot for believing her.
Elinor Dashwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:46 PM   #160
afnaechiquita
DIS Veteran

I used to moderate a message board that was entirely anonymous - IP-logging was turned off. Even with IP-logging on, it's never easy to catch a fake (especially in a high-volume board like this). Modding is hard work!

I have no decorations up. I'm going home next week, so I didn't see a point to it. I still have to get gifts for my siblings and nephews, but I'm waiting to be back in the US for that. I got my parents tickets to, as my mom says, "Less Miz-er-ablez"

A question - my brother has a new girlfriend, they're coming up Christmas day. Should I get her a small present, having never met her ever?
WDW (off-site) '90 - Caribbean Beach '07 - French Quarter '08 - Riverside '11 - Riverside '12 - Tokyo DisneySea '12 (one-post quick TR here!) - DLR (off-site) '13 - Grand Californian '14 (presidential suite tour here!) - Yacht Club '14
Princess Half Marathoner '11 - '12 - GSC '14 for runGKTW! - training for DLH '14 for SOSC!

afnaechiquita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:50 PM   #161
mrsksomeday
My Prince uses a power wheelchair!

I don't think any of us should feel like idiots for reaching out to someone and being compassionate. That thread showed that many people here are kind and caring.

There are some people on these boards that just want to mess with people's heads and that is unfortunate. There are also some really fantastic people. I have met many DISers in real life and some are now the closest friends I have.

I won't stop being me in how I reply to people because that person was fake.
mrsksomeday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:51 PM   #162
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

Did she copy everything that was on the other forum? I didn't read all the replies on that forum, nor did I read all the pages from this one. I did notice the s/n was trk and then 3 numbers, I wonder if that's her "scam count"? LOL Oh well, some people....

Let's see the outside of our house is decorated completely, the inside isn't even started, we might try to get a tree tomorrow but I work tomorrow night so we might not. I have about half of my Christmas shopping done, but I also have DD12's 13th birthday in 1 week so I have to think about that too. I went through the gifts I have tonight and pulled out some things for her birthday so at least that part is done. I have some jewelry pieces to make for gifts and I have to get some packages together to mail so I need to get those done first.

Also, I agree with everyone who said no one should feel bad about being "fooled" by this person, it just shows that we do have some caring people on this board and that's a great thing!

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:56 PM   #163
StephMK
DIS Veteran

I bought it but it also doesn't surprise me to learn it's a fake. And really, either way, it has not affected my life at all. It would make a good fiction read and maybe it will become a book. Other than the passing thought of how things are going, I don't spend a lot of time worrying about situations from new people online.

As for Christmas, I am totally done, my four trees are decorated to the hilt and my $10,000 worth of presents are wrapped beautifully and piled to the ceiling in our gift opening suite.

That sounds so much more fun since you can't "really" see my house and know that I am not even close to being finished. Our lights outside are mismatched because we couldn't find exact replacements. I have presents for my younger two but I am struggling to shop for the other gifts I need to get. My decorations were put out last weekend but the tree is still in a box in the garage and may wait til DD18 gets home next weekend.

I have a grocery bag full of little Hallmark holiday houses from MIL that I need to unpack and put out this weekend. Christmas cards may or may not happen this year. Last year, I ordered them and never mailed them - how sad is that!
Old 12-07-2012, 10:07 PM   #164
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by afnaechiquita View Post
I used to moderate a message board that was entirely anonymous - IP-logging was turned off. Even with IP-logging on, it's never easy to catch a fake (especially in a high-volume board like this). Modding is hard work!

I have no decorations up. I'm going home next week, so I didn't see a point to it. I still have to get gifts for my siblings and nephews, but I'm waiting to be back in the US for that. I got my parents tickets to, as my mom says, "Less Miz-er-ablez"

A question - my brother has a new girlfriend, they're coming up Christmas day. Should I get her a small present, having never met her ever?
If she's coming on Christmas day I'd have a small gift for her to open. Maybe your brother can recommend something she likes?

Old 12-07-2012, 10:13 PM   #165
wdwmom0f3
Disney Dreamer
I just spent 30 minutes on youtube watching people clean their ears out

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflake View Post
I think the problem with that is that it'd quickly turn the mods into having to verify tons of random posts about bad stories or tragic circumstances or what have you.

People would be all 'I'll wait to see if this is verified before I comment,' and if the mods missed one, people would complain and etc. Not in a malicious way, just in that once you set an expectation, you know?
I'm sure you are right, but in my few years that I have been here I can count on one hand the ones that I have seen like this. I'm sure there are smaller threads that go on, but I'm talking about ones like this that so many of us get sucked into. Like I said, it's no big deal. Just something to think about.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: