Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2013, 03:40 PM   #1
LisaR

Explain periods to me

Not that kind of period. Sheesh!

I have noticed so many posts lately with excessive periods. This isn't just an occasional period. There are multiple periods in one sentence:

Today I. went to. the grocery. store and I. bought laundry. soap.

What the heck? I'm guessing this has something to do with modern technology versus lack of grammar skills. With the smaller buttons on cell phones or the difficulty of typing on a tablet, maybe people don't realize they are hitting the period so much? All I know is I am seeing it more and more. Just me?
LisaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:40 PM   #2
Soldier's*Sweeties
I WILL walk three miles in the snow, uphill, barefoot for a Pumpkin Spice Latte
I'll take the Palmettos

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaR

I have noticed so many posts lately with excessive periods. This isn't just an occasional period. There are multiple periods in one sentence:

What the heck? I'm guessing this has something to do with modern technology versus lack of grammar skills. With the smaller buttons on cell phones or the difficulty of typing on a tablet, maybe people don't realize they are hitting the period so much? All I know is I am seeing it more and more. Just me?
I've seen people do it if their space key is broken. That's the only reason though.

ETA: Or some people use then to say something word by word.
Bonus book #26- Parasite(Parasitology #1) Mira Grant
2014 Reading Challenge: 35 Books
#1-Bad Monkey Carl Hiaasen, #2- Undead and Unwed MaryJanice Davidson, #3- New Year Island Paul Draker, #4- Belle de Jour: Diary of an Unlikely Call Girl Anonymous, #5-Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers Mary Roach,
#6- Undead and Unemployed MaryJanice Davidson, #7- Infected Scott Sigler, #8- Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex Mary Roach, #9- Flesh Worn Stone John Burks, #10- Uganda Be Kidding Me Chelsea Handler,
#11- The Witness Sandra Brown, #12-Midnight Crossroad Charlaine Harris, #13- Under the Dome Stephen King, #14- Monument 14 Emmy Laybourne, #15- Monument 14: Sky on Fire Emmy Laybourne, #16- The Magicians Lev Grossman, #17, #18, #19- The Strain Trilogy Guillermo Del Toro
Soldier's*Sweeties is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-13-2013, 03:42 PM   #3
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaR View Post

I have seen them used as emphasis... (not that kind of too many periods, right? )

Just. Stop. It. Now.

So you would read it like you would reading a sentence... with a pause for each.

The example you use I would guess is a "fat finger" type of thing on a phone/tablet.
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:43 PM   #4
Chuckers
Missing my day trips to Disneyland :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaR View Post

On many mobile phones, if you hit the space button twice, a period is automatically inserted.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:55 PM   #5
Shutterbug
Baba Ganoush is my hero
No parking baby, No parking on the dance floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckers View Post
On many mobile phones, if you hit the space button twice, a period is automatically inserted.
This.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:56 PM   #6
I Love Pluto
DIS Veteran
I guess that makes me a kiddie song expert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckers View Post
This was my explanation also. I think that's it. Modern technology!
Old 03-13-2013, 03:58 PM   #7
ManyMinnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckers

Yup. Iphones do that.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
ManyMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:01 PM   #8
BadgerGirl84
I think my biggest pet peeve is when a weird toe pops out the side

If you're reading it on a blog or something, it's probably done for emphasis, like a PP mentioned. I see it a lot these days. Used when you would say something really slowly and dramatically.

like...

Oh. My. Word.

If it's a text message, or the emphasis thing isn't make any sense, probably typo/SmartPhone-weirdness.

BadgerGirl84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:09 PM   #9
castleview
I'm on my 103rd attempt to grown my bangs out
I'm too impatient with the skillet

I'm queen of them. When you don't write concisely and never feel like finishing a sentence they come in handy….perhaps I should work on that.
castleview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:15 PM   #10
LisaR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerGirl84 View Post
If you're reading it on a blog or something, it's probably done for emphasis, like a PP mentioned. I see it a lot these days. Used when you would say something really slowly and dramatically.

like...

Oh. My. Word.

If it's a text message, or the emphasis thing isn't make any sense, probably typo/SmartPhone-weirdness.
Definitely not done for emphasis. I just read a post on the Dis from someone who is a great writer, but she used an overabundance of unnecessary periods. I expected to see, "Sent from my iphone" at the bottom, but it didn't say that.

I follow this one blog which is also well written. The person posted from an ipad for the first time today and the post was littered with periods. I don't get how she didn't notice it before posting, or go back and correct it once she posted.

I do know that my smart phone does a period if I hit the space bar twice, but I always try to watch for it and correct it. It seems fewer people are making the correction.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:26 PM   #11
JennaDeeDooDah
My oh my what a wonderful day!

So a question. Do you find it more irritating when a person uses no period at all so their sentence just seems to ramble on with no punctuation of any sort leaving you reading the line over and over to try and figure out what the person is saying which would be much easier if they would just use one simple piece of punctuation

Or

A. Person. Who. Uses. Far. Too. Much. Punctuation. Leaving. You. Wondering. Why. They. Do. That. And. What. Point. They. Are. Trying. To. Convey?

JennaDeeDooDah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:29 PM   #12
LisaR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaDeeDooDah View Post
So a question. Do you find it more irritating when a person uses no period at all so their sentence just seems to ramble on with no punctuation of any sort leaving you reading the line over and over to try and figure out what the person is saying which would be much easier if they would just use one simple piece of punctuation

Or

A. Person. Who. Uses. Far. Too. Much. Punctuation. Leaving. You. Wondering. Why. They. Do. That. And. What. Point. They. Are. Trying. To. Convey?
I got a headache reading both!
Old 03-13-2013, 04:31 PM   #13
SandrA9810
DIS Veteran

You don't have to use the App to make a post, and you can edit the signature part to not include where the post is coming from. I'm not fond of the app, and choose to use the browser when I'm reading the Dis on my phone.

I've also noticed a lot of wrong words being used, like autocorrect making it's own post.
SandrA9810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:27 PM   #14
Deb in IA
Knows that KIDS are better than cats
When do we leave for that nice long Hawaii vacation?
I'm a wimp, and I don't like food that hurts to eat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerGirl84 View Post

like...

Oh. My. Word.

That's how I've seen it, as in "Best. Movie. Ever."

I think it is a bit lame, but that's just me.

"Children are our most valuable natural resource."
- Herbert Hoover, 31st President, native of West Branch, Iowa
Deb in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:37 PM   #15
StephMK
DIS Veteran

I know what you mean, these are different than the periods placed separately for emphasis. Very randomly spaced. The space bar reason makes the most sense based on what I've seen.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: