Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2012, 07:12 AM   #1
allstonsmommy
Mouseketeer

How many character meals do you normally try to do?

I know this will depend on number of days you visit, how old your children are, if you choose to do the DDP, etc but just out of curiosity.. how many character meals do you try to do on each trip? For our trip in May (we will be there for 7 nights), we have ADRs for 4 character meals but I am considering dropping one for something else. My oldest really enjoys the character meals but we find them a little repetitive after a few days into our vacation, and I usually wish I would have booked some more relaxing meals. On another note, if we are in the parks and he sees a character greeting for a character we have already met in meals then he is happy to move on if the line is long so it does end up giving us a little more times for rides.
allstonsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:19 AM   #2
smiths02
DIS Veteran

I would drop one if it is the same thing...I see people who do Akershus AND CRT AND 1900 PF dinner OR Chef Mickey and Cape May/Tusker House/Ohana/Garden Grill

I, personally, would pick one princess meal, one Mickey meal, possibly H&V if my kids were dying for those characters (but it gets such bad reviews), Crystal Palace or 1900 PF

My other problem with these meals is the buffet aspect to most of them. I like buffets, I am not picky....but buffets with child(ren) is not fun...I just want to be served

I try to balance out the meals with ones that might not be "relaxing" but are more relaxing than a buffet with characters while still being something "special" for kids (Chefs de France to see Remy, T-Rex/Rainforest Cafe, Sci Fi, Ohana dinner)
2003 (AKL), 2009 (AKL), 2011 (CBR- room), 2015 (AoA-Cars Suite)
smiths02 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-07-2012, 07:33 AM   #3
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

I honestly think we end up doing them all I agree the food is repetitive. Our kids enjoy eating with characters, and by the time we are through we've met the majority of in park characters while eating, so we can bypass them in the park and do other things.

We're there 9 nights on our upcoming February trip, and we do a breakfast and dinner TS each night. It's pretty easy to fit them in, and get in a few other types of restaurants here and there with that length of time.

We split them up to try and see different characters each day. So one day we'll do Akershus for breakfast and eat with the princess, and then we'll do Chef Mickey's for dinner. Something like that.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:45 AM   #4
Disneylover99
DIS Veteran

I know I'm probably in the minority here, but when we go to Disney and if we are on the Dining plan, we go to as many character buffets as we can.

We actually find the buffets less stressful and more relaxing then sit down dinners.

-you don't have to think about what to order
-if you don't like something, you go and try something else
-eat dessert first if you want
-you can set the pace of the meal yourself and not feel rushed by waitstaff or the opposite when service is way too slow
-as for the characters, we don't worry if we are at the buffet and they miss our table, they usually come back, or we say a quick hello/goodbye to the missed character on the way out
-lots of people complain about the noise, but honestly we've been to most of the character buffets at Disney and have never noticed the noise
-it's good value for your money on the dining plan, and it gives my children opportunities to try a variety of different food
Disneylover99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:01 AM   #5
ItsNotMuchofaTail
but I'm sort of attached to it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneylover99 View Post
I know I'm probably in the minority here, but when we go to Disney and if we are on the Dining plan, we go to as many character buffets as we can.

We actually find the buffets less stressful and more relaxing then sit down dinners.

-you don't have to think about what to order
-if you don't like something, you go and try something else
-eat dessert first if you want
-you can set the pace of the meal yourself and not feel rushed by waitstaff or the opposite when service is way too slow
-as for the characters, we don't worry if we are at the buffet and they miss our table, they usually come back, or we say a quick hello/goodbye to the missed character on the way out
-lots of people complain about the noise, but honestly we've been to most of the character buffets at Disney and have never noticed the noise
-it's good value for your money on the dining plan, and it gives my children opportunities to try a variety of different food
ITA! We just returned from a 7 night stay and we did Chef Mickey's, Akershus, Crystal Palace with characters and HHDR and Coral Reef without characters.

I like all the things PP posted about buffets, and my DD won't stand in line for characters, so character meals make my trip so much easier. I would have added one more character meal to my schedule perhaps, but it didn't work that way. Last time we had DxDP and we had so many - one every day I think. That got to be a bit much - we did CRT and Akershus AND 1900 PF dinner. But that trip I had a princess loving girl and SHE didn't think it was too many princesses LOL.

Previous trips:
Off Site: Visiting the grandparents in the 80s - June 2000 - Honeymoon (POFQ) - June 2007 - DD's 1st trip (ASM)June 2010 - We're getting divorced and going anyway (CBR)

November 2012 - Just DD and me (POR-Royal Room)
ItsNotMuchofaTail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:13 AM   #6
allstonsmommy
Mouseketeer

I have all boys so princess character meals are out
Old 12-07-2012, 09:01 AM   #7
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstonsmommy View Post
I have all boys so princess character meals are out
You've still got options!

Tusker House - Mickey/Donald/Daisy/Goofy
** Lots of places have a combo of these and Minnie

Hollywood and Vine - OSO, Jake from the Neverland Pirates, Handy Manny, June from Little Einsteins

O'Hana breakfast - Stitch/Lilo/Mickey

Crystal Palace - Pooh, Tigger, Eeyore, Piglet

1900 Parkfare Breakfast - Mad Hatter, Alice, Pooh, Tigger, Mary Poppins

Garden Grill dinner - Chip/Dale/Mickey

Lots of options!

Maybe you can sneak in a 1900 Parkfare Dinner with Cinderella, Prince Charming, and the stepsisters/mother as a "princess" meal!
Old 12-07-2012, 09:18 AM   #8
allstonsmommy
Mouseketeer

We have Crystal Palace, Tusker House, Chef Mickey's, and Garden Grill.

Donald's Safari Breakfast is our fav character meal so we want to keep that one. We also want to keep Garden Grill. The other two are up for discussion, really thinking of changing Chef Mickey's. I may just keep them all, still not sure.

We tried H&V for lunch a few years ago and we didn't like it and not really interested in trying it again for this trip, maybe next time.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:54 AM   #9
Wood Nymph
DIS Veteran

We like buffets for the wide variety of food available. And they are nice to go to with kids because they can get their food quickly.

Since we are trying the DP for the first time and traveling with grandkids age 5 & 3, we are doing a total of three buffets. There are two character buffets, Tusker-breakfast and 1900 Parkfare dinner with Cinderella. And one non character buffet - dinner at Cape May.

The other dining reservations are for two dinners served family style - Ohana's and Hoop Dee Doo, and one sit down - Coral Reef.

The dining plan makes the buffets look very attractive, since you can get soups and salads at buffets. And the kids don't have to eat off the kids menu at a buffet.

Next up: YC - Sept 24th to 28th and WL - Oct 22 - 27, 2014
BC - March 19th to 25th, 2014, WL - Jan 23 - 27, 2014; WL - Nov 30 - Dec 5, 2013; WL - Feb 5 -11, 2013; BC - April 2011, BW - January 2009, BCV - 2007, 2005, 2003, Poly - 2002;
BC - 2001, 1998, 1994, 1992; YC - 1997; GF - 1989, 1988; Poly - 1987, 1986, 1985; CR - 1981, 1980; offsite - 1982, 1976, 1973
Wood Nymph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:58 AM   #10
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

When going with kids who are into characters, I try to do one every other day. Otherwise, we usually do just one per vacation and that's Tusker House.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:24 AM   #11
BEASLYBOO
It's part of the charm
They go through some serious mayo there

Personally, though I love my son and his friends whom we brought with us, one character meal per trip I think is adequate! And Tusker House is the only one left that we still enjoy for both the food and the character interaction. It's still a lot of fun for both young and old and the passion, guava, g& orange juice is the cherry on top of the sundae!

I steer away from buffets!

February 15th -18th, 2014 - OKW-GV
BEASLYBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:47 AM   #12
Masonmj84
DIS Veteran

We're doing breakfasts at CRT, Crystal Palace, Tusker House, and Cape May (over an 8 night stay).
Old 12-07-2012, 11:15 AM   #13
Peter Fan
Peter Fan

We usually just do one. Tusker House would be my pick.
Peter Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:18 AM   #14
CraftyMommy
Mouseketeer

We really like the character meals. I even book them when I do Moms-Only trips. It is a tradition to do 'Ohana breakfast our last morning. We also book Chef Mickeys and Crystal Palace every trip. Those 3 are the main ones we do, so usually 3 and sometimes 4.
CraftyMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:25 PM   #15
shelbyf31
Mouseketeer

We do one a day, sometimes two. In May we are doing Ohana for breakfast then CRT for dinner. Our kids are 5 and 3 so they love it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: