Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2012, 08:34 PM   #16
ZoZo
DIS Veteran

I've been reading about Frogg Togs and Chilly Pad products. Seems like a couple of Chilly Pads would really help in the stroller.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:40 PM   #17
zuzu310
DIS Veteran

We took our son on his first trip this past September and he was 17 months old at the time. He had the BEST time! Was it perfect? Nope, but it was so worth it to us! We will always cherish that moment when he saw "Mau" (Mickey Mouse) for the first time.

It is really hot but we just made sure to drink lots of water, dressed him appropriately, and took nap breaks in the afternoon. He did fine. He had a major meltdown one day (the only day we didn't take a nap break). My best advice is to make sure to go back to the hotel for a nap in the AC. In his defense, he got a cold the next day so we think it was coming on that day.

We also made rope drop (or close to it) every day and that also was very important. We got lots done in the mornings, took a break, and came back at night.

I know others probably think I am crazy but I totally recommend taking your toddler. Believe me, my son can be very DIFFICULT. He is not easy going at all. He has a mind of his own. In fact, he remained breech my entire pregnancy. That is how stubborn he is. So this is not coming from a mom who has some easy-going, flexible child.
May 2004-Off-site Honeymoon, June 2005-Day Trip to MK, Sep 15-19 2005-CBR, Mother-Daughter Trip, Sep 9-15, 2006-CSR Just Hubby and Me!, Sep 8-15, 2007-CSR Dad's First Trip Ever at 51!, Aug 30-Sep 6 2008-CSR Free Dining Again!, Sep 5-12 2009-CSR Free Dining Trip w/SIL, BIL, and DH!, Sep 13-17 2010-First Time@ Pop Century/Pregnant w/our little Mousketeer, Sep 11-16 2011-Free Dining@ POP , Sep 9-16 2012-Baby Aiden's First Trip!!!, Sep 8-15 2013 Free Dining@POP/Pregnant w/our 2nd Mouseketeer! May 11-15 2014-10 Year Anniversary Trip NO KIDS! Aug 31-Sep 7 2014 Aiden's special "I'm a Big Brother" Trip@POP!

zuzu310 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-08-2012, 09:56 PM   #18
Fartknocker
Earning My Ears

We took our 13 month old this past Aug. We had a shade extender for the stroller and kept her hydrated and she was fine.
Fartknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:54 PM   #19
Mom2six
DIS Veteran

I think it is completely possible to take a toddler to WDW in early September. Yes, it will be hot and very humid! So true! But you the lower crowd levels are great! We went in September, and then again last week (we got home today!). The crowds were definitely less in September.

We used a stroller and a couple of stroller fans. The misting fans were great, and we added ice water to them. Keep your little one well hydrated, and go into gift shops to cool off. Go for rope drop, rest in the afternoon, and back out again in the evening. Use tons of sunscreen.

The key is keeping aware of how your kids are handling the heat and making adjustments. Cool drinks, time inside an airconditioned attraction/shop/child center. Swimming time, splash play areas at the parks, all help keep them cool. Don't let them get too hot and cranky and you'll have a great time!
Mom2six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:56 AM   #20
kaligal
DIS Veteran

There are people who live and raise children in sub-tropical and tropical climates...without air conditioning. Otherwise healthy kids don't die from being hot.

As long as the child is kept well-hydrated and allowed to rest, they should do fine.

I wouldn't want to run around theme parks in August and September. I surely wouldn't want to do it with a baby or a toddler. But I expect everyone will live through it without getting heat stroke.

Also, if the kid says they don't want to eat...don't force them to eat. A friend of mine did this with her 3yo. Kid stood up and vomited all over the carpet at Sunshine Seasons, lol.
Fantasmic sucks.
kaligal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:01 AM   #21
Art 1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalSea12 View Post
So in reading all of the posts about how hot August and September are it makes me start to wonder if this is a good time to take a toddler. Any advice on taking a toddler during this time? Is it soo hot that heat stroke will occur?
My grew up here and survived just fine into their early 20's. Some of the questions on the dis are funny.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: