Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2012, 12:07 AM   #1
CalSea12
Desperately needs a dose of the magic!

Taking Baby in Aug/Sept

So in reading all of the posts about how hot August and September are it makes me start to wonder if this is a good time to take a toddler. Any advice on taking a toddler during this time? Is it soo hot that heat stroke will occur?

Several Trips as a child to DL and DW, 2008-All Star Movies ,2010-Honeymoon Caribbean Beach, November 2013 ASMu
CalSea12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:47 AM   #2
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

August and September can be HOT. I took my son in late April/early May, he was almost 6 months at the time and one day in particular I was worried about the heat and had to keep bringing him in the A/C. I would imagine every day would be like that in the summer. If you have an older toddler maybe they tolerate the heat better.

Even I have had trouble in August. On the other hand, people live there with babies and toddlers so they must adjust and probably take precautions.

chloelovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-07-2012, 04:33 AM   #3
Herfnerd
DIS Veteran

Not so much the heat as it is the humidity and yes, it is DEFINITELY something to take into consideration.

Living in the south, you need to keep hydrated, covered in sunscreen and try to avoid the sun as much as possible and take things slow.

But jmho, that's not a good time to bring a toddler.....

Last edited by Herfnerd; 12-07-2012 at 11:52 AM.
Herfnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:05 AM   #4
LSUfan4444
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalSea12 View Post
So in reading all of the posts about how hot August and September are it makes me start to wonder if this is a good time to take a toddler. Any advice on taking a toddler during this time? Is it soo hot that heat stroke will occur?

A good time, no. It's hard enough on adults and kids that time of year, on a toddler it is just going to make your job that much harder.

It doesn't mean it is necessarily dangerous, it just means you need to be more careful.Making sure you both stay hydrated, spending less time in the parks, making sure even poolside time is not extended (still in the sun), making sure sunscreen is applied, cool light clothes, frequent breaks, hitting the parks as soon as they open and being there when the sun goes down, etc. Things like that are more of a necessity rather than a suggestion.

LSUfan4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:59 AM   #5
got2sammies
Mouseketeer

Agreed... Aug/Sept is hot! A hot sweaty overheated baby is no fun on vacation! I have seen it a million times...I know parents want to the kids to see everything but you must pace yourselfs...If you take a scroller get one of those fans that attach to it.. Take lots of breaks, do attractions with a/c even if you really dont want to do them, drink plenty of fluids and do not be afraid to go back to the room for a pool break or nap..Dont wait until they get sleepy start heading back to the room, about an hr before the normal nap time I would suggest for travel time... After a good cool nap anybody will be ready for a parade and fireworks!! Sunscreen and ponchos are your friend..
Old 12-07-2012, 10:32 AM   #6
serene56
DIS Veteran

can you wait a few more weeks?

HOT! HUMID.
sitting in a stroller will be even hotter..
and carrying a hot sweaty little person will make things even more uncomfortable
Old 12-07-2012, 10:47 AM   #7
lsulindy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloelovesdisney View Post
On the other hand, people live there with babies and toddlers so they must adjust and probably take precautions.
True. But, they don't spend 8-10 hours a day walking outside. I live in the heat and humidity. I'm "used" to it. I personally would not go to the park during end May-early September. Tons and tons of people do it. But, I won't. If you do, sunscreen a lot, drink tons of water, bring a portable fan for the stroller (make sure it has a sun shade), and plan lots of breaks. They don't have to be out of the park breaks, but don't try to go non-stop. Find places where you can sit and rest. Heat stroke is definitely a possibility. But the bigger issue for me personally is just being cranky!

A few trips as a kid, first in 1979 last in 1991.
Trips with dh and our kids:
April/May 2008 - Buena Vista Suites
March 2011 - Windsor Palms
February 2013 - Disneyland!! TR in progress!

lsulindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:12 AM   #8
CalSea12
Desperately needs a dose of the magic!

Do you think late September or Early October would be a better time? Is it still too hot then?

Several Trips as a child to DL and DW, 2008-All Star Movies ,2010-Honeymoon Caribbean Beach, November 2013 ASMu
CalSea12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:44 AM   #9
cgattis
DIS Veteran

Late September, when the crowds are low, can still be hot, but you have a better chance of a cooler day than July/August. We've been in October when it was quite nice....and then there was this year. Very hot. We also managed to visit on a record high day in April one year when it hit 97! So thrilled to be part of history....Just take all the things the OPs have suggested (plus might I suggest some kind of moisture wicking material to sit on in that plastic-y stroller) and if you end up not needing them, great. Hydration is possibly THE most important.
cgattis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:55 AM   #10
kellybean85
Earning My Ears

The first two Disney World trips we made with our son was in either the last week of August(when he was 18 months) or the first two weeks of September ( at 2 1/2 years old). I don't think it was bad at all. Yes, it was hot and humid but so many of the attractions/stores/restaurants are air conditioned or out of the sun, that it was easy to escape the heat, and the low park crowds were a huge plus! The best thing for us was arriving at the park for opening, and taking a midday rest back at our hotel, and going back late afternoon/early evening when it was a little cooler. Hope that helps!

2000 - Boardwalk Inn
2005 - All-Star Movies
2008 - Contemporary
2009 - Caribbean Beach
2011 - Offsite
2013 - Pop Century
kellybean85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:04 AM   #11
2Pirates2Princesses
DIS Veteran

We went to WDW at the end of August 2011 and we were surprised by how many families with small infants were there. We talked to a family with a two month old while waiting to meet sorcerer Mickey in the DHS Animation building and we sat next to another family with a four month old during the FOTLK show at AK. Sometimes the summer months are the only time families can go and they make it work. Like another poster mentioned, at WDW you are not out in the heat all day. There are plenty of opportunities for a/c relief with all the indoor attractions, restaurants, and waiting areas - definitely take advantage of that with your park touring. Most important thing is to keep everyone hydrated, keep the baby shaded from the sun; and if possible arrive at the parks at rope drop, take a break in the afternoons when the heat/sun is at its peak, and return to the parks after dinner if you can. It is definitely not the most ideal climate for a Disney trip with little ones, but it is manageable and can be a very magical time with proper planning.
2Pirates2Princesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:33 AM   #12
CaptainJackNO
Ph.D. in Disneology

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalSea12
Since this is still regular season, prior to Labor Day, just take a nap break during the hottest part of the day (1-3pm) then return about 4 pm and stay as late as possible. This is totally doable. Also, when moving from land to land within the parks, utilize gift shops as walkways for your travels to take advantage of air conditioning, rather than walking out in the heat. Makes a huge difference.
And, if you have never utilized the baby care centers in the parks, definitely use those for a cooldown location, get juice, clean bathrooms, and just a general short term chill out spot. There ate chairs and sofas for adults, changing tables for children still in diapers, and a large room playing Disney movies on tv if you just want to sit in the ac for a while and have the child entertained.
CaptainJackNO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:05 PM   #13
LMN
DIS Veteran

you've gotten some great tips so far, op. I would echo the importance of keeping everyone hydrated, and when my kiddos were little, we always took a midday break, went back to the hotel for some downtime and to cool off in the a/c. I think I needed that as much as my kids did! Then everyone was refreshed and ready to head out for dinner and evening park time!
Old 12-08-2012, 02:19 PM   #14
blessedby3
Actually Blessedby4 now, but cant change my username :)

You should definately go in a cooler time. Everyone will be happier. You only have a toddler here, so the calendar should be wide open (unless you or DH have an issue with taking certain time off at work). I say this because after your youngster gets into school, you may not want to take them out for a vacation and your window(s) will be more limited. (Although we have always taken our kids out and go when its cooler and less crowded)
I would suggest going in late Oct and you will get to see the Halloween/Fall decorations as well as be able to go to the MNSSHP if you want. They also have Food and Wine if that intrests you....or go the week or two after Thanksgiving and see the Christmas decorations and they have MVMCP.
Florida humidity and heat is brutal
8/87-Disneymoon, offsite 7/92-DD's 1st trip 2/94-Land/Sea, Dixie Landings 10/99-offsite 4/03-CR tower MK view 11/05-POP 12/06-WL 1/08-POP, DD's Grad Trip 3/09-Poly 5/10-BLT, 1BR 6/11-POP 10/12 Bonnet Creek 6/14-Bonnet Creek/2 nights at AOA
DH(48) Me(47) DD(24)DSIL (24) DS(19) DD(15) DD(6)
Check out my May2010 trip report:
Welcome Gurley Family....you are FAMILY OF THE DAY!!
blessedby3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:22 PM   #15
Hoosier Mom
DIS Veteran

We did our first trip with our little guy during free dining the end of September in 2006. He was 18 months old.

It was miserably hot. Add to that trying to change a diaper on a sweaty little kid. We would start out at park opening and then leave right after lunch to go back to our resort and rest in the air conditioning. And then head out for an early supper time.

We had purchased a larger sun shade and attached that to our stroller. Also we purchased a battery fan that clipped onto the stroller but it didn't help too much. And the show that is out in front of the castle in the sun was brutle. We only lasted a few minutes and had to move to a cooler attraction. The thing that did help a lot was a spray misting fan. We filled it with ice water every morning.

Add to that lovebugs! They were harmless, but swarming. And they seemed to like the color white.

We had fun, but didn't get to do as much as we would have been able to do if it was cooler and we could stay in the parks.

For some reason, Animal Kingdom was the worst as far as heat. We only lasted there for about 90 minutes.

Our next trip after that was a January trip. So much better.

You can see pictures of our September trip if you want. It is the 2006 trip report listed below.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: