Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2012, 09:01 AM   #1
SanDiegoAl
Earning My Ears

Need help convincing wife disney is way to go.

Hi all first post here. My wife and I have been passholders to DL for over 5 years and are letting them expire for a while until our grandkids are a few years older, as we are getting a bit too familiar with disney and we dont want to get too burnt out (especially my wife, as she is tiring..)

So, our 25th wedding anniversay is in September and I am planning on taking us on an October 19th cruise on the Fantasy to the eastern caribbean. I have been scouring places (including here) to get information on staterooms, etc. I was going to book, but decided that this was a big decision and I wanted my wife to be a part of it. So I sprung it on her yesterday evening and she is very sceptical to say the least. She sees this as another trip to Disneland and/or a families cruise. Not a cruise for adults celebrating their anniversary.

I need your help and input to show her that this is indeed not the case, and that Disney is a very nice cruise line for this type of event. Also, can you recommend a nice stateroom, I was thinking a 4E with larger balcony, but I have heard that 5E's were nice as well. What does everyone recommend?

Thank you all in advance and this is our first cruise anywhere so any help is appreciated!
SanDiegoAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:57 AM   #2
kcashner
DIS Veteran

We have cruised DCL MANY times as 2 adults. I've also done cruises with adult friends.

If you don't want to see kids, DCL is not the line for you. However, you are looking at an "off season" time when there are typically more preschool age kids and fewer older ones. This makes a difference because the younger ones can't run around without a parent/nanny/other adult.

There are a few places where DCL is very strict about their "adult only" spaces. These are Palo and Remy (adult dining with an upcharge), the spa, as well as most CM directed adult only activities. The adult only policy in the nightclub (Europa) area is fairly well enforced although we did see one family who brought their kids into the area each night to raid the munchies and run around like .... And there are supposed adult only spaces where there is little enforcement--these include the Cove Cafe and the Quiet Cove pool area and deck. Kids regularly walk thru these areas with or without parents. Most quietly walk thru; some skate on their wheelies, yell to their buddies, and generally engage in stuff that either doesn't belong on the ship at all or should be confined to family areas.

We've cruised on other lines. We found that Celebrity had better food than DCL, but their entertainment was lacking. I would be completely happy doing Celebrity again, but my 21 year old would not be (and has let me know that strongly). It is very much an older group.

You will be seated at dinner with other "adult only" groups. And you'll have a great time!

As to choice of cabin....I think the cat 4s are terribly overpriced and not necessary for 2 people. However, at low season, the difference between a 4 and a 5 or 6 might only be a couple hundred dollars. If you can get it for a decent price, the 4E is great. If it is seriously more money than a cat 5 or a cat 6, I'd go with the less expensive option.

Last edited by kcashner; 12-07-2012 at 10:15 AM.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-07-2012, 10:17 AM   #3
manateesmom
Mouseketeer

My advice is listen to your wife. It's your anniversary, and you want her to be happy.

Yes, many adults cruise Disney without kids. But if she envisions a different experience for your anniversary, I wouldn't try to force Disney on her. I would highly recommend Celebrity or Royal Caribbean (Freedom of the Seas is new with a lot going on, but not quite the ocean-going mall that Oasis and Allure are). Sure, Disney would be a lovely experience, but if it's not what she wants, then it's not much of a gift, kwim?

manateesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:36 AM   #4
Jgasink
Mouseketeer

DCL for anniversary

Save DCL for the family cruise with the Grand kids - book RCI orPrincess or Holland or go for the Big Hawaii Trip -Kauai or Maui - I have always been told that a Happy Wife means a Happy Life....
Jgasink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:38 AM   #5
fhtpdw20
DIS Veteran

We did our 25th anniversary celebration on the Dream in September. I did not notice the kids except for the Pirate Party and Sail Away. We stayed in the adult areas most of the time. We were seated with 3 other couples all celebrating anniversaries ranging from 16 to 24 years and had a wonderful time. The Skyline is a very cozy adult themed venue and so is the Meridan which in the lounge between Palo and Remy. If you head outside and up the stairs, there is a little known area to relax "deck 14".

If you have the time and budget, do try to schedule some time at WDW. You would be there during the Food and Wine Festival at Epcot. The halloween experience at WDW is nothing like the DL version. There is also Animal Kingdom too. Port Orleans is a very romantic resort with Mardi Gras, Southern Plantation, or Bayou feel depending on the section you choose to reserve. We enjoyed the carriage ride after dinner at Boatwrights.
fhtpdw20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:39 AM   #6
tajz90
Mama D

I'd be thrilled if my hubby wanted an anniversary trip with Disney, but I prefer Disney. I'd be mad if he wanted to take me somewhere I objected to.

Ask her where she wants to go and make it happen!!!
tajz90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:37 PM   #7
SanDiegoAl
Earning My Ears

Thank you guys all for your help! Yes, A happy wife IS a happy life!
We are now considering sailing on Royal Caribbean on Allure of the Seas. Cat D1
Still in October. Anyone have any insite on that ship? Thanks again!
SanDiegoAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:08 PM   #8
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

We planned our wedding date around being able to sail on the Wonder for our honeymoon while DD was with her grandparents. It was fantastic. Dining seated us with two other childless couples and we booked a room at the end of the ship where all the 18+ stuff is. I would LOVE to do it again for an anniversary.
Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:13 PM   #9
DVC Jen
DIS Veteran
Wigs out even the biggest circus freaks!
Proudly wears the title of WEIRDEST DISer!

We just celebrated (belatedly) our 25th on a 5 night DCL cruise this past May.

While we did take our daughters (in their own adjoining stateroom) they were 19 and 23. We spent the vast majority of our down time in the adult only areas. It was soooooooo nice.

We did 6 nights at WDW after and we kept wanting to ask where the adult only areas were.

It can be done. We love kids - but now that our DDs are older it is nice to hang out in areas where we can enjoy a bit more quiet and adult atmosphere.

Choose late dining, Do the adult activities and relax in the adult only areas. You can have a wonderfully romantic adult trip - even on DCL!

BTW - yesterday was our 26th anniversary and we are headed to WDW for Christmas. Totally NOT an adult type trip - more like an insanity check - but that is OK.

Check Out My Disney Vacation Photos My Disney Family Vacation Galleries
DVC Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:34 PM   #10
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by manateesmom View Post
My advice is listen to your wife. It's your anniversary, and you want her to be happy.

Yes, many adults cruise Disney without kids. But if she envisions a different experience for your anniversary, I wouldn't try to force Disney on her. I would highly recommend Celebrity or Royal Caribbean (Freedom of the Seas is new with a lot going on, but not quite the ocean-going mall that Oasis and Allure are). Sure, Disney would be a lovely experience, but if it's not what she wants, then it's not much of a gift, kwim?
We did a 4 day for our 20th anniversary & loved it, also planning a 7 day next year for our 25th. Bottom Line "Listen to your Wife....."
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:04 PM   #11
Summerl30
Mouseketeer

We have only cruise royal until now. We love them and some of thief itineraries are great. Our Mediterranean cruise 2 months ago had bArely any kids on it. Some places you cruise will just have less kids on it. I am dying to go on the allure. Only problem is that both of the oasis class I have itineraries I'm not much interested but Id love to cruise those ships!!
Summerl30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:40 PM   #12
SunshineCruiser
Mouseketeer

Thumbs up

I think Disney could be really romantic because of the outstanding service, but I am glad you decided to do what your wife wants. I wish you a happy anniversary with your happy wife!
SunshineCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: