Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2012, 11:54 AM   #1
Callie
Always Dreaming of Disney Magic

Semi Parked In Front of House for Days

My moms neighbors have had a semi parked in front of their house for quite a few days now. Its the truck part of the Semi, no cargo on the back. Its quite annoying as it blocks the street, and is parked right behind out drive. I found this regarding it, and was wondering if this means its illegally parked?
http://www.southbendpolice.com/askac...20parking.html
Old 12-06-2012, 11:56 AM   #2
shinysparklybubbles
DIS Veteran

Sounds it to me. Call the township.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-06-2012, 01:07 PM   #3
Bob NC
DIS Veteran
I am a trained professional
$7.61
Wilma Flintstone can vacuum my floors with a baby elephant anyday!

Is this the first time?

If I lived next door to someone for years with no problem and all of a sudden a truck turns up in front of their house for a few days, I can't picture myself calling the authorities on them.

Maybe it's a faraway relative visiting....Who knows what it is.

I'd give it some time and see what happens.
Bob NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:19 PM   #4
Bren's Mom
DIS Veteran

It seems that if the front part of the truck alone isn't over 11000 lbs then it's legal. But if it were parked on my street for more than a day or two, I'd make contact with neighbors to get the 'scoop'. If it was going to be short term, and my neighbors were nice about it, I'd leave it be. BUT, my neighbors are nice enough that they'd tell me ahead of time if something like this were going to happen.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:04 PM   #5
bearloch
DIS Veteran

My Hubby is a trucker and he does this when he is home! and when he visits his Mother sometimes I would go ask them whats up if its a one time week thing let it be!!! the boys on are block love it when the truck was home!!
BTW we called the city and police ahead of time to be sure it was ok and were given the ok as long as no snow rules etc were in effect mostly he parked in driveway and i parked on street!

Neijhbors actually dislike that more cause when he starts up the exhast was right next to window and that baby is loud at 5 am

WDW1986
Disneyland 1998
Disneyland 1999
WDW 2003
BAck First time @ Fort 12 /2007

Moved closer to Mickey June 2011:dance
CSR June 2012
bearloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:15 PM   #6
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda

So, does South Bend not have any citizens that own their own semi tractors? What are they supposed to do when they come home after a long haul? Park in some commercial area and take a taxi?

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
FlightlessDuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:46 PM   #7
willowsnn3
Tagless not by choice but by circumstance

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightlessDuck View Post
So, does South Bend not have any citizens that own their own semi tractors? What are they supposed to do when they come home after a long haul? Park in some commercial area and take a taxi?
You have to be real careful where you park the big rigs even in commercial areas. Could be asking to be towed & impounded which costs a heck of a lot for the big trucks
When we lived in an apartment, my dh had to rent a space at a nearby business to park the truck when he was home. When we lived in the country he just parked in our driveway with no problems.
OP, this could just be a relative of your neighbor passing thru and had to layover. We used to visit friends/relatives in other states when he had a load close by.

Book Challenge Goal 65/72

willowsnn3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:36 PM   #8
Disney Doll
DIS Security Matron

Unless "quite a few days" is more than a month, I wouldn't be giving my neighbors any issue about it, especially if they have been good neighbors.

Now, if it is making it hard to get out of your driveway based on the positioning of the truck, I might call and nicely ask them to reposition the truck a bit so it's not directly in the line of your driveway.
It's time to put on your big girl panties and deal with it!
Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out.
There's no pill that cures stupid.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
~~In loving memory of Teddy~~1994-2007~~
Disney  Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:05 PM   #9
Sadie22
DIS Veteran

A man in our neighborhood owns one of these rigs. He's not home with it a lot. When he is, it's always on his driveway, not on the street. I heard at an HOA meeting that some had complained to the HOA about it being started up very early in the AM a time or two. It's not in violation of any county ordinances. We do have a county ordinance about how close someone can park to a mailbox.

If the vehicle interferes with your access to your property, definitely ask about it. Maybe it's not even the neighbors' or a friend of relative of the neighbors, and they're annoyed about it, too.
Sadie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:12 PM   #10
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren's Mom View Post
It seems that if the front part of the truck alone isn't over 11000 lbs then it's legal. But if it were parked on my street for more than a day or two, I'd make contact with neighbors to get the 'scoop'. If it was going to be short term, and my neighbors were nice about it, I'd leave it be. BUT, my neighbors are nice enough that they'd tell me ahead of time if something like this were going to happen.
Usually those laws apply to how heavy the LICENSE is on the truck, not the actual weight of the truck. And a semi would be licensed for 80,000lbs. And the tractor is going to be over 11,000lbs even with no trailer attached.

That said, I'm of the MYOB frame of mind when it comes to stuff like this. If it were a fleet of trucks, or unlicensed vehicles parked on the street that'd be another story. Besides, a road tractor with no trailer attached may be BIG, but the overall length isn't much more than a pickup truck.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:24 PM   #11
a1tinkfans
Spreading Some Pixie Dust Today!

In our township ANY vehicle with a commercial plate cannot be legally parked overnight on any street. One has to park it on their own property, which by me is few and far between or park it somewhere else.
That being said, perhaps if it has been atleast a week and you "think" it may be the neighbors/relatives, why not ask and see what they say...but best to be prepared, cause once you ask, they will certainly know if you wind up calling authorities...if it stays for a long time and is not supposed ot be there...

And while we're talking neighbors, Id like to thank mine once again
for blowing your 1/2 acre property of leaves into the street (which is also illegal here) to end up on my 3X cleaned front lawn (which has no trees) which is Xmas Decorated.... ....vent over
Old 12-06-2012, 09:33 PM   #12
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightlessDuck View Post
You can't leave any vehicle (even your own) here in the same place on a public street for more than 72 hours. As long as you move it once every 72 hours, you're fine. If I go on vacation, I always put my cars in the driveway. However, it normally isn't an issue if the vehicle is legally registered to the address it is parked at, and doesn't have flat tires.
I know we have an issue with a neighbor now who is a contractor. He has 2 construction trucks, and 2 construction trailers he keeps here. And it doesn't help that he has 3 other cars, 2 boats and a travel trailer too. His house has a 2 car garage, a 3 car driveway, and a very long RV acccess that can hold 3 vehicles. As a renter, or maybe just his overall mindset, he doesn't seem to care that once in a while he clogs the entire street. And twice in the 6 months he has been here, he has had his vehicles broken into
Guy 2 doors down is a contractor, he rents spaces at the RV storage place for his vehicles. Only time his trucks are here is if he comes home for lunch. But as a homeowner, he has an interest in keeping things neat at his house.

As for folks who own big rigs, most here rent a parking space at the closest Self Storage place or RV storage place. At least here, it seems like you are never more than a mile from one of those self storage places.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:07 PM   #13
Callie
Always Dreaming of Disney Magic

This truck randomly shows up, and when it leaves, it wakes my mom up. Not to mention it blocks the street.
Also, we've mentioned to them time and time again to not park behind our driveway, specially in the winter, and they continue to do it.
They also leave their trashcans in the middle of the lawn, with trash overflowing all over!
They also have people over all the time, that block in our drive so we can't even leave!

My mom has decided to talk to the owner of the house (these are renters). She is really good friends with her, and then maybe the landlord will tell them not to do it anymore.
These people just have no concept of being making it easy to get down the road. Park people double wide, in the middle of the road, and it is on a curve, with a hill, and an emergency route so lots of firetrucks come through and its hard for them too.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:15 PM   #14
LuvsDragonflies
DIS Veteran

In a lot of towns semis can't just park in the street. They have to be parked on your own property and some towns even make you house it in the back yard or a garage.

I care not for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it. ~ Abraham Lincoln
"Give me the storm and stress of thought and action rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith"-- Robert G. Ingersoll
LuvsDragonflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:16 PM   #15
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callie View Post
This truck randomly shows up, and when it leaves, it wakes my mom up. Not to mention it blocks the street.
What do you mean by "blocks the street"? It's parked inconveniently in relation to your Mom's driveway? Or, it's blocked illegally?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: