DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Member Services
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2012, 07:38 AM   #1
Callum
Mouseketeer

Changing Deeds to sole ownership

Hoping for a little advice from other DVC members.

I recently contacted DVC about changing all membership details into my name (my wife passed away last year) and I duly returned the affidavit they sent me.

Their covering letter however told me that this would only allow them to change their own records and should I wish to change the Orange County court records in relation to the deeds I would need to appoint a Florida based lawyer to do this.

Am I right in believing that this course of action is necessary should I decide to sell at a future date? Also has anyone gone through this process? And how much did it cost? Any pitfalls I should be aware of?

Thanks everyone
Callum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:37 AM   #2
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callum View Post
Hoping for a little advice from other DVC members.

I recently contacted DVC about changing all membership details into my name (my wife passed away last year) and I duly returned the affidavit they sent me.

Their covering letter however told me that this would only allow them to change their own records and should I wish to change the Orange County court records in relation to the deeds I would need to appoint a Florida based lawyer to do this.

Am I right in believing that this course of action is necessary should I decide to sell at a future date? Also has anyone gone through this process? And how much did it cost? Any pitfalls I should be aware of?

Thanks everyone
I'm sorry for your loss and I am not certain the rules in this situation. I know there was a discussion on this subject a couple of years ago here.

I'm no lawyer and you may want to talk to yours plus one in FL or have yours do it for you. My understanding is that if it's in both names held jointly with Right of survivorship, all you'd have to do is complete a form and record the certified death certificate. As to whether to worry about it, I wouldn't unless you get ready to sell.

If it's held differently, you'd need to probate the will as I understand it. You'll also have to pay it off to make changes if there's a loan.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-16-2012, 09:52 AM   #3
drusba

DIS Veteran

When you go to sell the property changes will be needed to complete the sale but you don't need to do that now and broker at time of sale will aid in getting anything done that is needed.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:36 AM   #4
cvjw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by drusba View Post
When you go to sell the property changes will be needed to complete the sale but you don't need to do that now and broker at time of sale will aid in getting anything done that is needed.
This is true - we tried to buy a BWV contract that was part of an estate, and the sellers had to have additional forms filled out before the contract could close. Our broker said that the forms were easy to complete - just a trip to their local court house.
cvjw is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: