Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2012, 10:05 PM   #1
Iforgetmypassword
"I am Mrs. Nesbit!!"

Can we do it all in one day?

(see my update on post #25 for an update.)

"We" being a 17-year old and me, an active 50-year old.

We both love Harry Potter, and are pretty good at commando touring. The 2 of us toured Disney World a few years ago, and we were up and at rope drop each day. We tour very efficiently.

This past summer, we visited Busch Gardens in Williamsburg, and again, didn't waste time. I can keep up with her very well, in fact, I'm usually the one coaxing her out the door to be at rope drop-I'm a morning person. We rode everything we wanted to, lots of times.

We will be in Orlando for a week in early Feb., arriving on Feb. 2. I don't plan on us going to any parks that day, and we'll leave on Feb. 9th. I have 8 days left on a Disney, non-expiring ticket. She will be getting a 5-day ticket, no extras like the non-expiring option. We'll use her 5-day, and 5 days worth of my 8-day ticket at Disney World.

Five days at Disney World, leaves us with one day for Universal. If we are there at opening, and really only want to see Harry Potter stuff, and anything else is just icing on the cake, will we be satisfied?

Also, which day, Feb. 3-8th, should be our Universal day?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by Iforgetmypassword; 02-09-2013 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Bump for update
Iforgetmypassword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:28 PM   #2
Disney Commando
DDC
Disney Fans Are Friends
now I have some things to plan, I'm going to try to get the Dapper Dans

I can't say how it will go at Universal (haven't been there in years), but I can say since you toured BG Williamsburg, you got some of the best park training you can get, with some of those hills you really get a good Commando work out, If you did fine there you should be golden, I love touring BG just for training for WDW
1976 Contemp, 82 Contemp, 86 Contemp, 8/03 Honeymoon Off Site, 7/05 Off Site. 11/08 Off Site, Halloween till 11/08/09 ASM w/ Free DDP, Dis Dads Dec. Trip 12/5 - 12/11, 2010 8/11 ASM, 8/12 Off Site, 11/12 ASM, 8/13 ASM, 4/14 POP, 6/14 AKL, 8/14 POP

Dis Dad Member #393
WDW Commando Member #1
Disney Commando is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-06-2012, 10:48 PM   #3
DOOM1001
DIS Veteran

Are you only doing Islands of Adventure or both IOA and Universal?I always say a minimum of two days to do both parks,if you only want to do Potter and other things at IOA then one day is fine.If you're doing both parks I doubt you'll get it all in in one day without buying the express pass but there's the possibility you could hit a lot or most of the major rides especially by using the singles lines.If you buy the express pass it is possible you'll get most of the attractions in.

Last edited by DOOM1001; 12-06-2012 at 10:55 PM.
DOOM1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:15 PM   #4
macraven
Proud Redhead
Has the longest test on record
Iím a Universal Homie

Location: between milwaukee and chicago (in Tom Felton's house)

i agree with Doom.
2 days will allow you to enjoy both parks and make a fun trip.

don't just rush for the highlights, enjoy everything in the parks.
there are more than just rides to entertain you.

i know everyone loves ioa and the draw for parry hotter is still tremendous.
once you do the few rides there and browse thru the shops, you'll have time to see the rest of the park.

little things such as the 'talking fountain' at ioa, is something that can take 30 minutes to enjoy. people watch, listen to the fountain, watch the reactions of those around you.

your dates are feb 3-8
suggest you do ioa on the 5th/tuesday or 6th/wednesday.

i think the presidents day is the monday that follows your trip.
don't know if crowds will happen due to that but some schools are out and families could make it a 3 day weekend for the parks.

weekends always brings in more peeps.
if the weather is great, more locals come out.

not sure when mardi gras will begin, check the calendar for that but if you skip the weekend, that is not going to be an issue for crowds then.

hope you have lots of fun at the darkside.
50 is only a number, not an age that prevents you from exploring a park and having a good time.

macraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:49 PM   #5
DOOM1001
DIS Veteran

Mardi Gras begins Feb.9th so they will just miss it.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:56 PM   #6
macraven
Proud Redhead
Iím a Universal Homie

thanks Doom.
i was just too lazy to look that info up tonight.......

knowing the special events helps when giving info out to newbies.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:58 PM   #7
macraven
Proud Redhead
Iím a Universal Homie

OP, Mystic Fountain is the name of the 'talking fountain' that i mentioned above.

you won't find talking fountain in the park map guides but will see the mystic fountain.

Old 12-07-2012, 06:50 AM   #8
Iforgetmypassword
"I am Mrs. Nesbit!!"

Thanks, everyone.

We could, I suppose, buy 2-day tickets to Universal, but I'm very reluctant to do that. My husband will be coming too, he also has the same ticket to Disney I do. He's not a big Harry Potter or thrill ride fan, and he is just fine spending one day hanging around the pool, or whatever.

So, 5 days at Disney World, and one day at Universal. Now I have to learn how to get the most out of the Universal day!!
Old 12-07-2012, 07:09 AM   #9
Iforgetmypassword
"I am Mrs. Nesbit!!"

Forgot to mention: since we'll only be there one day, I'll probably buy the express option for both of us. Small price to pay, to be able to squeeze it all in.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:51 AM   #10
Mic2129
Earning My Ears

I was at universal last jan and was able to do both parks in one day. Lines weren't long for the rides when I was there. You should be able to enjoy both parks in one day. Be there at robe drop and head straight for Harry potter.
Mic2129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:03 AM   #11
Mic2129
Earning My Ears

For best day of the week... That really doesn't matter. It's all random. Biggest things are time of the year and time of day.
Mic2129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:07 AM   #12
afnaechiquita
DIS Veteran

My aunt (also 50 at the time) and I went to IOA the day after our half marathon (so walking at a slower pace than usual!), and we not only had ample time to explore WWoHP (and ride everything, but also the other themed areas in IOA. I think the week you're picking should be a fairly slow one, so you can certainly get it all in one day.
WDW (off-site) '90 - Caribbean Beach '07 - French Quarter '08 - Riverside '11 - Riverside '12 - Tokyo DisneySea '12 (one-post quick TR here!) - DLR (off-site) '13 - Grand Californian '14 (presidential suite tour here!) - Yacht Club '14
Princess Half Marathoner '11 - '12 - GSC '14 for runGKTW! - training for DLH '14 for SOSC!

afnaechiquita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:39 AM   #13
RMulieri
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iforgetmypassword View Post
Forgot to mention: since we'll only be there one day, I'll probably buy the express option for both of us. Small price to pay, to be able to squeeze it all in.
Most of us here will tell you to NOT buy the pass unless you need it.They are DATE specific, PARK specific and non-refundable.If you buy now and your plans were to change you will eat the cost of the express pass
Old 12-07-2012, 08:57 AM   #14
Iforgetmypassword
"I am Mrs. Nesbit!!"

Aah. I did not know that about the express option!! I priced it for the 2 of us, for both parks, it's the same price any day of that week: a total of ~$70. So, I may think a little more about this. We will probably decide to tour commando, express option or not!

The parks will be open 9-7 that week, will that matter?

We're fine missing shows, and rides geared towards kids, we like the thrillers!
Old 12-07-2012, 10:14 AM   #15
RMulieri
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iforgetmypassword View Post
Aah. I did not know that about the express option!! I priced it for the 2 of us, for both parks, it's the same price any day of that week: a total of ~$70. So, I may think a little more about this. We will probably decide to tour commando, express option or not!

The parks will be open 9-7 that week, will that matter?

We're fine missing shows, and rides geared towards kids, we like the thrillers!
Express pass is priced depending on the projected crowds.The higher the projected crowds, the higher the price.Example:IOA on December 26th is charging $109 for express pass.That is not including park admission.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: