Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2012, 07:03 PM   #1
Kandjandj
Earning My Ears

Palo or Remy

If you could only do one which one?
Kandjandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:05 PM   #2
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Palo brunch! But I've never done Remy.
Upcoming Trips:

Upcoming Fantasy Cruise!
cruisecrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-06-2012, 07:14 PM   #3
Namsupak
DIS Veteran

Vote for Remy, If you like Victoria and Albert's Remy's is the place for you.

WDW: 1998, March 2002, Dec 2006, Dec 2007, May 2008, Sept 2008, Dec 2009, Sept 2010, Jan 2011, July 2011, Jan 2012, Feb 2012, Aug 2012, Dec 2012
DCL: June 2008, Feb 2009, Dec 2009, Nov 2010, Jan 2011 (MV Dream), WBTA Sept 2011, Dec 2011, NYE Dream 2011-12, Jan 2012, March 2012 MV Fantasy, Dec 2012 Fantasy, May 2013 WBPC, Jan 2014
DLP: Sept 5, 2011
Coming Up: Sept 2014 WBTA
Namsupak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:18 PM   #4
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

While we really like Palo (Diner & Brunch); you just can't beat the Remy experience. To be honest we usually do both.
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:50 PM   #5
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Palo brunch is nice, but we prefer brunch on Celebrity, which is even better, without an upcharge.

Remy is a foodie adventure. It's pricey, especially when you've already paid for your meals in the MDR's, but I think of it as a shore excursion. Disney shore excursions are expen$ive (what cruise shore excursion isn't pricey?) but some times ya just gotta party.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:48 PM   #6
disneydeux
Can Once in a Lifetime Happen Twice?

We really loved both.

But Remy is a once of a kind dining opportunity. I mean crazy! I would eat only salads or some fruit before the meal because it is an insane amount of food.

We also loved Palo for dinner.

Best of luck - there is no bad decision!
disneydeux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:59 PM   #7
MrsScooby
DIS Veteran

We've done and enjoyed both palo and Remy, but if we had to choose we would go with Remy. Expensive but worth it
Old 12-06-2012, 09:18 PM   #8
Maria1985
Mouseketeer

We would go with Remy.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:48 PM   #9
MarineFam
Remember, It all Started with a Mouse...

We have done Pallo on the Magic for both of the cruises we have been on and loved it. We are getting ready to sail again only this time on the Fantasy April 2013. I saw it was quite a bit more pricey to go to Remy but wow looking at what people are saying it must be great. I just can't believe it could get any better than Pallo....

DVC Members AKV

August 1996 WDW Honeymoon (Shades of Green); November 2003 WDW; September 2005 WDW; May 2007 WDW; December 2007 DCL (Magic) Eastern; May 2009 WDW; April 2012 DCL (Magic) Eastern; April 2012 WDW; April 2013 WDW (Pop Century); April 2013 DCL (Fantasy)Western; April 2013 WDW (1st DVC trip! Animal Kingdom Lodge Villas); June 2013 WDW (AKL Kidani);April 2014 Pre-cruise (AKL Kidani) DCL (Magic) Bahamas; Post-cruise WDW Pop Century; June 2014 WDW wk-1(BWV) wk-2 (OKW); April 2015 DCL (Fantasy) Eastern
MarineFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:26 PM   #10
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Remy brunch. Best restaurant meal I have ever eaten. Seriously! *Amazing* flavors, and the service was fabulous!

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:32 PM   #11
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Palo vs. Remy are two very different experiences.

Palo is a nice, upscale restaurant. Attentive service, good food, nice atmosphere. Dinner will take 90-120 minutes. 90 is very comfortable, 120 is if you like to linger over coffee or after dinner drinks. It is a lovely restaurant, comparable to one of the "signature" restaurants at WDW (the ones that cost 2 credits on the dining plan) but without the kids--thus a better atmosphere. It is a place that I could see doing at home for a special celebration.

Remy is a dining experience. This is more about the presentation and setting than the food...or at least as much. Plan on 3 hours. This is most similar to Victoria and Albert's at WDW, and compared to their prices, the $75 upcharge is a bargain. This is honestly more than I would do at home...OK reality, I don't know of any place like this around my home. If you like V&As, you'll be right at home here.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:00 AM   #12
setablaze
Earning My Ears

Stupid point/question. I am a simple guy planning a cruise in the carribean. If it was up to me I would pack 2 pair of shorts and 3-5 tank tops BUT I love good food. So how do I do the minimum dress code to experience Remy and for a guy who despisees dressing up? Can I wear my tuxedo tshirt?
setablaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:09 AM   #13
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by setablaze View Post
Stupid point/question. I am a simple guy planning a cruise in the carribean. If it was up to me I would pack 2 pair of shorts and 3-5 tank tops BUT I love good food. So how do I do the minimum dress code to experience Remy and for a guy who despisees dressing up? Can I wear my tuxedo tshirt?
Remy requires that gentlemen wear a jacket. Um...they do have loaners in the event that someone didn't pack one.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:04 AM   #14
GetGlowing
DIS Veteran

I've done Remy brunch and dinner and Palo brunch and dinner and Remy wins hands down, no contest.

I think the champagne brunch at Remy is my favorite, but that might be due to the 5+ glasses of bubbly I had by the time we were done. Our brunch was at 11:50a and I was still so stuffed I only picked at dinner that evening (early seating) and finally had something substantial late late night. Plus, hello: deep fried mashed taters-n-gravy. What's not to love?? (OK, my name for the dish, not theirs. I'm sure theirs was French. But it's deep-fried mashed taters-n-gravy. And it's divine.)

Remy brunch is a fixed menu with optional champagne pairings for an additional $25 (bargain!). Remy brunch also has a more relaxed dress code, although it's still quite dressy. Guys, you don't need a coat or a tie for brunch.

Remy dinner has a menu from which you have a couple choices for each course, although you can opt for the menus already set by each chef. There are wine pairings also available for dinner. And it's formal. And so worth dragging that jacket along!!

Both meals at Remy are spectacular. I'm not an adventurous eater, but dug in and enjoyed everything. The only thing not to my liking were 1-2 of the cheeses I chose off the cart during dinner. Everything else was just sublime. Best two meals I've ever had.

Now I know a lot of people rave over Palo brunch, but I'm not a big seafood eater, and I don't go for a lot of Mediterranean flavors like olive this and that. So if you like crab legs and salmon mousse and olive this and thats, you'll probably really like Palo brunch a lot. The dessert table and bread table was amazing!! I could eat the little cream puff hamburger things all day.

If you want a nice dinner or brunch, do Palo. If you want a dining *experience*, go for Remy.

GetGlowing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:48 AM   #15
FJS961
DIS Veteran

If I could only pick one I guess I would have to say Remy dinner. I wouldn't pick one though

On our Fantasy eastern we did Remy lunch and dinner, Palo brunch at a table for 10 with my folks and travel mates, and Palo dinner delivered to our suite and had a party ... best cruise ever.

Cost wise, NOT including any alcohol (exceptions are complimentary champagne / mimosa Palo brunch, welcome cocktail at Remy dinner, one glass champagne at Remy lunch) looking at 75pp Remy dinner, 20pp Palo brunch/dinner, 50pp Remy lunch.

The experience has already been described by other posters
FJS961 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: