Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 02:02 PM   #1
summerrluvv
Work Hard. Have Fun.
Haven't candled my ears in a while!

Buffet or Family Style Meals - Child (adult at disney) on medication pricing question

Answer has been covered, thanks!!!

My son is an adult at Disney (he's 13). We no longer do the character meals because the medication he is on makes him have no appetite. I can't justify paying $50 for dinner for him to eat two bites of something. Someone told me that if your child (or adult) has a medical issue such as what I stated above, that they will offer the meal at the child's price. Has anyone found this to be true? If so, how do you go about arranging this? Just at check in? I assume I need to bring our doctor's note as well. Thanks for any help.

Last edited by summerrluvv; 12-06-2012 at 06:05 AM.
summerrluvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:55 PM   #2
Nevada Jen
Mouseketeer

I was wondering the same thing. My DD is 14. The size and look of a 5 year old and post feeding tube. She won't even eat as much as a child, let alone an adult. I have considered lying about her age but I think that's a bad karma thing to do on a wish trip! I will be interested to hear what others have to say!
Nevada Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-05-2012, 03:04 PM   #3
crashbb
DIS Veteran

The official answer is that you still have to pay full price (or use the appropriate dining credit). However, some people have had luck getting a reduced charge (or no charge) when actually at the restaurant by talking with the manager.
crashbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:16 PM   #4
Schmeck
Funny thing is now my 17 year old naps almost every day and so do I!

For the character meals, the standard Disney line is that you are paying not only for food, but for the character experience. I second the idea of speaking to a manager at the restaurant, but I'd also have the mindset that I would have to pay full price.
Aug '05 - BC Aug '04 - PC, AKL
Oct '02 - AKL, POR May '99 - CBR
May '96 - CBR Dec '80 - offsite
Schmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:05 PM   #5
summerrluvv
Work Hard. Have Fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmeck View Post
For the character meals, the standard Disney line is that you are paying not only for food, but for the character experience. I second the idea of speaking to a manager at the restaurant, but I'd also have the mindset that I would have to pay full price.
I get that, but children aren't free and are interacting with the characters, you are still paying for them (well 3-9 anyway).

It sounds like there is no policy on it. No biggie. I feel a little bad for my daughter to be missing out, but it's not worth the price now. Especially since my DS is VERY timid around the characters anyway. So to pay $50 for him to eat 2 chicken nuggets and not even want to look at the characters is just silly lol. We will happily stick with counter service meals and non character Thanks for your help!
Old 12-05-2012, 09:05 PM   #6
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

If you are talking about the dining plan, you will have to purchase the adult dining plan for him. There is no way around it. If you are paying out-of-pocket, at a non-buffet most restaurants will allow anybody to order off the children's menu. I've heard some say the non-Disney-owned restaurants may not allow this, but no problem with adults of any age ordering a kids meal. At the buffets or dinner shows where it's a per-person charge, as others have stated, you can try to ask a manager when you are there. Some people report having the charge reduced or not charged, others have reported being charged an "entertainment" fee. But this is usually only if the child truly cannot eat (tube fed, etc.). Consider it pixie-dust if this happens, though, as many people also report having to pay full price.

I'd suggest looking for restaurants where you can order from the menu. If you wish to do the character buffets or dinner shows, just consider it the cost of a ticket for the show (or character interaction) rather than focusing on the food.

Enjoy your vacation!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:44 AM   #7
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerrluvv View Post
I get that, but children aren't free and are interacting with the characters, you are still paying for them (well 3-9 anyway).

It sounds like there is no policy on it. No biggie. I feel a little bad for my daughter to be missing out, but it's not worth the price now. Especially since my DS is VERY timid around the characters anyway. So to pay $50 for him to eat 2 chicken nuggets and not even want to look at the characters is just silly lol. We will happily stick with counter service meals and non character Thanks for your help!
There is a policy - it is that each person is charged the price for their age, depending on what the charge is for that particular location.

Servers have the discretion to lower a rate or not charged, but you can't count on it and can't arrange it ahead of time. It is pixie dust that may or may not happen.

When someone is totally tube fed and doesn't eat anything, they MAY charge an entertainment fee for that person that is less than the total. Again, not something you can count on.

If one child doesn't really like the characters anyway, you could book a meal for you and your daughter and have other members of your family eat somewhere else. We just look at it as the rest of us are eating and assume DD wont eat her money's worth.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:41 AM   #8
summerrluvv
Work Hard. Have Fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueM in MN View Post
There is a policy - it is that each person is charged the price for their age, depending on what the charge is for that particular location.

Servers have the discretion to lower a rate or not charged, but you can't count on it and can't arrange it ahead of time. It is pixie dust that may or may not happen.

When someone is totally tube fed and doesn't eat anything, they MAY charge an entertainment fee for that person that is less than the total. Again, not something you can count on.

If one child doesn't really like the characters anyway, you could book a meal for you and your daughter and have other members of your family eat somewhere else. We just look at it as the rest of us are eating and assume DD wont eat her money's worth.
Yes I get it.

I'm traveling alone with my children.

Thanks for your help.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: