Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2012, 07:54 PM   #16
Handbag Lady
Disneyland Bride 2000
If you can't say somethng nice, come sit next to me
Has the wherewithall to save bakery goods from earthquakes

Besides my husband and family:

I have two ladies that only get to see once a year and they are my gold and my backbone.

I have a close-knit group of 15 women that would help me hide a body if I asked. We are spread out a bit over the globe, but Facebook keeps us together like glue.

I have my best friend that I've had since kindergarten. She was my matron of honor and we still talk a few times a month even though she lives five states away. I was one of the first people outside of her immediate family that she called when her husband unexpectedly passed away.
Handbag Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:58 PM   #17
mombrontrent
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraRosesMom View Post
Not including family (I am very close to my parents) but my husband is really my one and only best friend. The same goes for him. We are both rather introverted and like it that way. We are friendly! We can be social, but we prefer to keep to ourselves. I have a 4 or 5 people I consider to be friends, but I really only talk to them occasionally since we moved out-of-state. I really don't feel much of a need to be really close to anyone but my husband, our children, and my parents.
This is like us as well. I find it hard to maintain friendships because I never feel like talking on the phone and I really don't like to go out. I'd rather just sit at home with my family. I'm boring that way We are very friendly and can socialize as well we just choose not to.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-06-2012, 08:06 PM   #18
alizesmom
Pumba is my hero but I love Donald

Two. One I've known half my life and the other I've never met.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:12 PM   #19
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1hoosierfan
I have 10-15 friends that are "crap, I have an emergency in the middle of the night, I need help now" close enough that I could count on.

Then, I have at least another 20-30 people that I would consider "friends." Some closer than others.... but definitely more than just casual aquiantances.

I am a VERY outgoing person.
This is me too. I have about 10 to 15 very close friends. And another 20 to 30 good friends. Im very social. Haven't always been, it came later. High school i guess.

Sent from my Galaxy SII

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:13 PM   #20
momof1princess
i feel like i'm going to explode if i don't get it out right that second!

my DH is my best friend. otherwise...no one. i've got a few acquaintances, some i've known over 20 years. i'd do anything for them, but the feeling isn't mutual. i only hear from them if they need my help.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:15 PM   #21
low-key
DIS Veteran

I have 5-6 friends who I know well and they know me well, but of them only one that is in my inner circle ( a sometimes scary place)
Old 12-06-2012, 08:44 PM   #22
ebtbmom
DIS Veteran

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by low-key View Post
I have 5-6 friends who I know well and they know me well, but of them only one that is in my inner circle ( a sometimes scary place)
Circle of trust?

The bad thing is all 4 of my female friends live in other towns, we are college friends and hang out together usually twice a year. I don't even have a best girlfriend. If I can't talk to DH about something (you know, if its his fault!) I keep it to myself. I'm trying to decide if my lack of close friendships bothers me. I feel like it should, but really I don't think it does.
11/2004 1st trip, ASM,11/2006 2nd trip, POP,6/2008 day trip DLR,11/2008 3rd trip, POP,1/2010 DLR at DLH!,1/2011 1st solo POFQ, 11/2011 POR, 3/2012 B-day trip! 10/2012 POP, 6/2013 day trip DLP 11/2013 POP 2/2014 CSR 2nd solo!
ebtbmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:47 PM   #23
low-key
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebtbmom View Post
Circle of trust? .
hmm, I guess thats a good way of putting it
Old 12-06-2012, 09:43 PM   #24
disneydee6
DIS Veteran

Well, as cheesy as it sounds, my two sisters are my best friends. But not including blood lol, I have a BF that has put our friendship thru the mill this past year, but we still remain strong. I have three other friends that, like OP, even though we live far apart, as soon as we talk, it's like no time has passed. Is it small? Yes, but I prefer it that way.
A friend of mine has like 15 really close friends, and with that many, there is always drama. No thanks!!
disneydee6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:15 PM   #25
RadioNate
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigs3 View Post
Honestly, not nearly as many as I used to. After I divorced and was raising two children on my own, I just didn't have time between work and the craziness of single parenthood. My children's school and sports activities dominated all of my free time. I can't fault my friends - they tried to keep in touch. They would ask me out, but I just didn't have the desire to go out, and I never had time to talk on the phone. Now fast forward 15 years - my son is in college, and my daughter isn't far behind. I'm starting to understand what empty nest syndrome is like, but now all of my friends are busy with their own lives and families. I have no one to blame but myself. If I had it to do over, I would force myself to let my friends into my life, no matter how busy, stressed, or depressed I became! I just forgot how important friends can be!
I just wrote a blog posting on this.

I have friends but my best friend now lives out of state and most of my friends here are married with kids. I'm divorced. It takes HUGE effort for me to get my married friends to do anything, even the moms that are SAHMs. They are busy with their husbands, their kids, etc etc. I understand that is important. But they never do anything. Ok, not never but maybe 3-4 times a year. At most. I'm not even talking about stuff with me, that's total! One friend I've seen once in 18 months. Sure we phone chat and text but in person? Once!

My blog post was about making the effort to maintain and grow relationships. I look at my own life. I was really focused on my husband and kids too. I thought my husband was my "best friend." He still decided that he didn't want to be a "family guy" so we divorced. My oldest is in Jr High, college is right around the corner.

So in a nutshell I have friends, I just could use more of them in this area and ones that make time to go out and do things.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:38 PM   #26
kaligal
DIS Veteran

I'm very lucky to have had the same group of friends since grade school. There were 17 of us, but the first of us died this year. Now we are 16.

It has its perks, but it has its drawbacks, too.
Fantasmic sucks.
kaligal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:05 AM   #27
westjones
Mother of Two Disney Princesses
Boy I learn something new all the time on these boards!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraRosesMom View Post
Not including family (I am very close to my parents) but my husband is really my one and only best friend. The same goes for him. We are both rather introverted and like it that way. We are friendly! We can be social, but we prefer to keep to ourselves. I have a 4 or 5 people I consider to be friends, but I really only talk to them occasionally since we moved out-of-state. I really don't feel much of a need to be really close to anyone but my husband, our children, and my parents.
Same here. Moving out of state really does make it harder because you have to start all over again.

The few friends I have all have kids around the same age as my kids. We became friends because of the kids.

I do have a wonderful church and if I wanted to be more social, I could (and maybe one day I will). And I must admit it is comforting to know they are there if I did really need them.
westjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:56 AM   #28
suzimar57
when i do put some makeup on, he's stunned!
loose screw i find in his work pants
It's cheesy, in a fun sort of way!

one friend - known her since i was 7 (i'm 55)

we've been thru everything in our lives together

my sister and i say she's our "other sister"

i'm truly blessed to have her in my life all these years

thru my life, i've had many other "friends"

but they've come and gone - basically, gone
Old 12-07-2012, 05:56 AM   #29
antmaril
DIS Veteran
The elephant topiaries near MK have a special meaning for me
I'm a girl

I have 12-15 friends and six of them would be my "call in the middle of the night for help friends." I feel blessed.
antmaril is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:07 AM   #30
HippieChickadee
Mouseketeer

1 good "can count on" friend

2 "few times a year events" friends

and 4 "co-workers"

But, I would say "1" without analyzing it

was this suppose to depress me?
HippieChickadee is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: