Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2012, 08:10 PM   #31
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnurcomputer View Post
Well, if I were in that situation and I was paying to have my kids go to preschool, I sure wouldn't stop sending them because they have sniffle. A fever, vomiting or diarrhea are the only reasons I would keep a kid out. I have 4 kids also. Someone has something around here almost all the time, be it allergies and its side effects or a virus.
This is part of the school system there for free this gives them the head start they need so they are ready for kindergarten our main goal is to get them to talk
Old 12-07-2012, 02:23 AM   #32
Family Fun Mom
No longer tagless... my wit has been confirmed!
NOTHING FROM THE SEA!

My pet peeve is parents who send sick kids to school. It is the most selfish, inconsiderate thing to do. Not only is it unfair to all the kids who will be exposed to the germs, but it's just wrong to do to your own poor kid who is forced to go to school while feeling crummy.

I do get doctors notes to back my kids' absences up when it's needed but not every illness needs a doctor visit. If my child is sick and needs to stay home, they are staying home. Period. I don't let some school board threat stop me. My kids, my decision.

I guess you could say another pet peeve of mine is school districts that act like they own your kids. There is a huge difference between a parent who keeps a kid home for being sick, or for family matters, and a parent who is negligent. "Zero tolerance" and "one-size-fits-all" rules drive me crazy.
Family Fun Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-07-2012, 02:32 AM   #33
HelenePA
I could use a cupcake now
I'm a tetris addict!
I have a secret obsession with turkeys
Yep I am Cat Stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by usnuzuloose View Post
Just curious, I haven't had kids in school for years. What happens if your child has something really bad that goes longer for ten days. Does the law not take things into consideration?
I think after a few weeks out they pull them out of reg school and send a tutor.. but if they are that sick what's the point? I'm pretty sure my dd will have to have another heart surgery in the future.. I do wonder what they'll do about it...

for those who keep them home for every illness how long do you let them home? I've been sick with a cold now for almost 2 weeks.. I just feel crummy.. would you let your kids home that whole time? One year my dd12 had pneumonia and had a cough for months there was nothing I or the dr's could do about it.. every few days I'd get a call from the nurse to come her get she was sick.. she wasn't sick.. the best part was when I got a letter saying she'd missed too many days and if she missed anymore school time I'd be sent to "court" and all that happy stuff.. Here they are calling me to come her get and keep her home but at the same time dont keep her home she's missed too much time..
Old 12-07-2012, 08:12 AM   #34
burnurcomputer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbellandeeyor View Post
This is part of the school system there for free this gives them the head start they need so they are ready for kindergarten our main goal is to get them to talk
Then I'm heading your way! I would love free preschool <3
burnurcomputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:41 AM   #35
luvsJack
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenePA View Post
I think after a few weeks out they pull them out of reg school and send a tutor.. but if they are that sick what's the point? I'm pretty sure my dd will have to have another heart surgery in the future.. I do wonder what they'll do about it...

for those who keep them home for every illness how long do you let them home? I've been sick with a cold now for almost 2 weeks.. I just feel crummy.. would you let your kids home that whole time? One year my dd12 had pneumonia and had a cough for months there was nothing I or the dr's could do about it.. every few days I'd get a call from the nurse to come her get she was sick.. she wasn't sick.. the best part was when I got a letter saying she'd missed too many days and if she missed anymore school time I'd be sent to "court" and all that happy stuff.. Here they are calling me to come her get and keep her home but at the same time dont keep her home she's missed too much time..
It depends on your district most likely. DD was out for a large portion of the second semester in 6th grade due to mono. The dr. just gave us an excuse that stated what she had and that she would most likely be absent a large number of days between X (date) and Y (date). The teachers helped her make up the important stuff (there were assignments that they felt could just be left off) and she passed with A's and B's.

A lot of those letters are threats more than anything else.

Now--we DID have to go to truancy court at the end of last year. Since having mono, dd has caught every virus that has come down the pike. On top of that she got hit in the mouth in softball and was out a couple of days in severe pain, her allergies were horrible last year AND her braces gave her fits every time they tightened them (migranes). So, again she missed a lot. But, we found out that too many days were marked unexcused that should have been excused. So, with notes from the dr., the ortho and the softball coach--everything turned out fine and again she passed with A's and B's.

As to your question, its hard with dd. I can't go with the no fever thing because she rarely runs fever. I usually let her stay a day, in the bed and then re-evaluate the next day.

Now--back on topic: OP, I know just how you feel! When we had the child care center, I would get so frustrated with the kids coming in sick. Especially if it was sahm's who sent their kids for preschool not child care.

Can your school not have a policy that requires them to be kept at home unless "fever free for 24 hours" and/or "no thick runny nose"--those were our policies for colds and such. (course, like I said, the fever thing didn't help much with my own child)

10 pounds closer to Skinny Island!
luvsJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:07 AM   #36
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnurcomputer View Post
Well, if I were in that situation and I was paying to have my kids go to preschool, I sure wouldn't stop sending them because they have sniffle. A fever, vomiting or diarrhea are the only reasons I would keep a kid out. I have 4 kids also. Someone has something around here almost all the time, be it allergies and its side effects or a virus.
My kids were always sick in preschool. Between the germs at school, and the germs being brought home by other siblings, it was a huge bugger-fest. Now, I never sent my kids to school with fevers, stomach bugs, bad coughs, or if they were uncomfortable. However, runny noses were the norm, October - May. I'm still getting over a cold that started more than a week ago.
mjkacmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:37 AM   #37
turkeymama
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I might not let them stay home the entire duration of the cold, but if they felt that miserable, I would be medicating their symptoms with OTC drugs to alleviate their misery. And if the OTC meds weren't sufficient, I would certainly see the doctor for something stronger.

To address the OP, my first jobs were in child care centers that were daycares/preschools. The centers all had policies, as do every school my kids have ever attended, that outline when sick children can return. Fever and vomit free for 24 hours, and no unexplained rashes. Parents would bring the kids in anyway, just as some parents of school-age kids. I vividly remember the director of one center calling CPS on a parent who repeatedly left her sick kids at daycare for about 2 weeks straight. I always loved her children, but I felt a disdain for her. Those poor babies....

On a more general note of sending sick kiddos to school, I had to send two students home this week because they were very ill. They are cousins who live in the same house, along with 7 other children (5 of whom were already home sick with high fevers and pretty nasty sounding coughs). Something tells me they had a clue these remaining two children were sick.

I do not advocate keeping kids out for every single sniffle, but for the love of pete, at least treat their symptoms if you're going to send them. Call the doc and arrange the necessary paperwork for them to receive the subsequent doses of medication at school. And if they have fever, keep their sick tooshies at home.
turkeymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:30 AM   #38
Mouse House Mama
Luckiest Mommy in the World!!!
Hello-Buddy the Elf what's your favorite color?!
I wonder if they make pullups for adults
I was not the farter- I was the fartee

Quote:

I wouldn't send my child to school with pneumonia. I just wouldn't want them to get sicker. If the absence was for an extended time I would request home tutoring, homeschool during that time, or work with the teachers to complete missed work at home. I had very bad pneumonia as a child. I was out for a very long time. I felt horrible. I had home tutoring. I would not want my children to get any sicker.
That is totally screwy that the school system does that to you.
Thanks be to God for this indescribable gift....
WL Sept. 2004,Poly June 2005,Poly April 2006 with Grandma & Grandpa, Pop Aug. 2006, WL Dec. 2006, FW Cabins Feb. 2007,AllStar Music Jan. 2008, Poly Aug. 2008,Yacht Club Aug. 2009, Poly Aug. 2009, Pop Aug. 2011, Pop May 2012, All Star Music June 2013, Bonnet Creek July 2013
Mouse House Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:13 PM   #39
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Family Fun Mom View Post
My pet peeve is parents who send sick kids to school. It is the most selfish, inconsiderate thing to do. Not only is it unfair to all the kids who will be exposed to the germs, but it's just wrong to do to your own poor kid who is forced to go to school while feeling crummy.

I do get doctors notes to back my kids' absences up when it's needed but not every illness needs a doctor visit. If my child is sick and needs to stay home, they are staying home. Period. I don't let some school board threat stop me. My kids, my decision.

I guess you could say another pet peeve of mine is school districts that act like they own your kids. There is a huge difference between a parent who keeps a kid home for being sick, or for family matters, and a parent who is negligent. "Zero tolerance" and "one-size-fits-all" rules drive me crazy.
That is how I feel
Old 12-07-2012, 10:18 PM   #40
HelenePA
I could use a cupcake now
I'm a tetris addict!
I have a secret obsession with turkeys
Yep I am Cat Stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse House Mama View Post
I wouldn't send my child to school with pneumonia. I just wouldn't want them to get sicker. If the absence was for an extended time I would request home tutoring, homeschool during that time, or work with the teachers to complete missed work at home. I had very bad pneumonia as a child. I was out for a very long time. I felt horrible. I had home tutoring. I would not want my children to get any sicker.
That is totally screwy that the school system does that to you.
Hers was a very very slight pneumonia... she had IV antibiotics and then they sent her home with more. She was out for about a week plus two weekends but the cough just went on forever and with her heart condition there are some meds she has to say away from. (her chd was was very complex not a simple hole in the heart) Like I said it was just a very unproductive cough but I really couldn't keep her home for months.. I think she had it in mid April and the cough lasted until mid June Every few days I'd get a call to come get her, I'd just tell them no. The nurse down there doesn't like me 3 years later because of it
Old 12-07-2012, 10:49 PM   #41
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hers was a very very slight pneumonia... she had IV antibiotics and then they sent her home with more. She was out for about a week plus two weekends but the cough just went on forever and with her heart condition there are some meds she has to say away from. (her chd was was very complex not a simple hole in the heart) Like I said it was just a very unproductive cough but I really couldn't keep her home for months.. I think she had it in mid April and the cough lasted until mid June Every few days I'd get a call to come get her, I'd just tell them no. The nurse down there doesn't like me 3 years later because of it
If they don't have a fever I don't see the problem sending her with a few cough drops
Old 12-08-2012, 08:52 AM   #42
lyeag
DIS Veteran

Wow, I could only laugh when I read this. I teach, and we have students who miss 20+ days a SEMESTER. Some with doctor's notes and some without. I can say I have never had one out due to one big illness. The 20+ days are racked up by missing a day week, sometimes two. We hear reasons like allergies, or "headache". We send the names to our D.A., but they don't do anything. It's crazy and frustrating.
lyeag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:11 AM   #43
sunshinehighway
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by usnuzuloose View Post
Just curious, I haven't had kids in school for years. What happens if your child has something really bad that goes longer for ten days. Does the law not take things into consideration?
Here only an extended hospital stay is excused. Its extended hospitalization, religious holidays and court dates. Those are the only excused absences, anything else(even with a doctor's note) is considered unexcused. The school policy is they are to stayhome for 24 hours after the last sign of a fever or vomiting. You get 5 or 6 unexcused absences in a rolling 6 month and then they can take you to court. They love to send home threatening letters if you get close to the limit. Its pretty annoying because if you follow their 24 hour policy and keep your kid home, you can easily end up with them threatening you with court and sending you letters about how you don't care about your kids education.
sunshinehighway is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: