Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 05:13 PM   #16
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran
 
tinkerbellandeeyor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 4,996

Quote:
Originally Posted by minkydog View Post
As an elementary school nurse, I say a hearty "THANK YOU" to all those parents who exercise good sense and keep their sick young'uns at HOME. I am just about going crazy with parents who keep sending their kids to school sick, day after day. I sent one kid home every day Mon, Tues, and Wed. I told her the first day to take the vomiter home and keep him home at least 24 hours(no sooner than Weds.) Sure enough, he shows up Tues morning, vomiting again. Another call home--please kindly keep your little germ vector at home, he's making other kids sick now. Darned if she didn't send that kind in AGAIN the next day. Only this time, he has a fever of 103! I told her he was not to come back under ANY circumstances until next Monday.

Come on, parents. Surely they know that giving a kid a dose of Advil at 6am for their 101 degree fever isn't going to cure him, right? I get an avalanche of kids between 10:30 and 12:00 who's meds have worn off. I even had one vomiting kid tell me she had vomited 3 times the night before. This was a 2nd grader, so we're not talking about HS. When I called her mom, she freely admitted that the girl had been vomiting during the night, but she "thought she would be okay this morning." Um, no. Your daughter is now covered in vomit and God only knows how many other kids she's infected. Thanks a lot, Mom of the Year.

Oh, and the kid from the first class?? Yeah. I found out there are four diagnosed cases of influenza in his class (out of 14 kids) and 2 of them sit at his table.
Yes I get it the only reason I take PM stuff when I am ill is so I don't keep DH up all night other then that I take nothing I under stand that the only way to not get others sick is to go to the doctor or wait until you are not sick for 24 hours
__________________
tinkerbellandeeyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:16 PM   #17
HelenePA
I could use a cupcake now
I'm a tetris addict!
I have a secret obsession with turkeys
Yep I am Cat Stupid
 
HelenePA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NE PA, in a Coal Hole
Posts: 10,963

Quote:
Originally Posted by minkydog View Post
As an elementary school nurse, I say a hearty "THANK YOU" to all those parents who exercise good sense and keep their sick young'uns at HOME. I am just about going crazy with parents who keep sending their kids to school sick, day after day. I sent one kid home every day Mon, Tues, and Wed. I told her the first day to take the vomiter home and keep him home at least 24 hours(no sooner than Weds.) Sure enough, he shows up Tues morning, vomiting again. Another call home--please kindly keep your little germ vector at home, he's making other kids sick now. Darned if she didn't send that kind in AGAIN the next day. Only this time, he has a fever of 103! I told her he was not to come back under ANY circumstances until next Monday.

Come on, parents. Surely they know that giving a kid a dose of Advil at 6am for their 101 degree fever isn't going to cure him, right? I get an avalanche of kids between 10:30 and 12:00 who's meds have worn off. I even had one vomiting kid tell me she had vomited 3 times the night before. This was a 2nd grader, so we're not talking about HS. When I called her mom, she freely admitted that the girl had been vomiting during the night, but she "thought she would be okay this morning." Um, no. Your daughter is now covered in vomit and God only knows how many other kids she's infected. Thanks a lot, Mom of the Year.

Oh, and the kid from the first class?? Yeah. I found out there are four diagnosed cases of influenza in his class (out of 14 kids) and 2 of them sit at his table.
i'd LOVE to keep the kids home every time they get a sniffle but with 4 of them they wouldn't be in school much and I'd be in jail. I can't run them to the dr for every sniffle to get a dr's note because he wont see them for just a cold.. Throwing up? sure they stay home but just feeling icky sorry here's some advil, ya gotta go Last year my middle two caught swine flu (the rest of us managed not to get it? and we can not live virus vax in my house) My son was out of school for 10 days even with a dr's note I was worried I'd be hauled into court for that..
__________________
Helene 13 11 8 5TwinklesSparklesCharlie
HelenePA is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 12-06-2012, 05:23 PM   #18
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran
 
tinkerbellandeeyor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 4,996

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenePA View Post
i'd LOVE to keep the kids home every time they get a sniffle but with 4 of them they wouldn't be in school much and I'd be in jail. I can't run them to the dr for every sniffle to get a dr's note because he wont see them for just a cold.. Throwing up? sure they stay home but just feeling icky sorry here's some advil, ya gotta go Last year my middle two caught swine flu (the rest of us managed not to get it? and we can not live virus vax in my house) My son was out of school for 10 days even with a dr's note I was worried I'd be hauled into court for that..
In my first post I was not talking about the parents of older kids who would get jail time I was talking about those should I say under four who don't have to go to school yet in other words the parent could keep her kid out for 3 weeks and the only call she would get is from the teacher to make sure she was okay not because she was in trouble
__________________
tinkerbellandeeyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:37 PM   #19
phorsenuf
Not so New Rule author on the DISSome discuss it calmly and some ...
Grandma Oboe
 
phorsenuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Concord NH and now Davenport FL. Home to meth addicts and dislocated cowboys I'm told.
Posts: 18,582

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbellandeeyor View Post
In my first post I was not talking about the parents of older kids who would get jail time I was talking about those should I say under four who don't have to go to school yet in other words the parent could keep her kid out for 3 weeks and the only call she would get is from the teacher to make sure she was okay not because she was in trouble
Nevermind. Misread the post.
__________________
Etsy:BlueBayouDesigns
phorsenuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:52 PM   #20
HelenePA
I could use a cupcake now
I'm a tetris addict!
I have a secret obsession with turkeys
Yep I am Cat Stupid
 
HelenePA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NE PA, in a Coal Hole
Posts: 10,963

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbellandeeyor View Post
In my first post I was not talking about the parents of older kids who would get jail time I was talking about those should I say under four who don't have to go to school yet in other words the parent could keep her kid out for 3 weeks and the only call she would get is from the teacher to make sure she was okay not because she was in trouble
Well you didn't have that in your first post Anyway I dont send mine to school until they make me.. Next year I'll have all of them in school Why dont you ask the teacher to send a nicely worded letter home saying that they shouldn't come to school if they are sick?
__________________
Helene 13 11 8 5TwinklesSparklesCharlie
HelenePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:01 PM   #21
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran
 
tinkerbellandeeyor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 4,996

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenePA View Post
Well you didn't have that in your first post Anyway I dont send mine to school until they make me.. Next year I'll have all of them in school Why dont you ask the teacher to send a nicely worded letter home saying that they shouldn't come to school if they are sick?
Sorry about that I just edited my first so people know I am talking about preschool.
__________________
tinkerbellandeeyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:15 PM   #22
mhsjax
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Jacksonville, Fl
Posts: 8,549

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbellandeeyor View Post
In my first post I was not talking about the parents of older kids who would get jail time I was talking about those should I say under four who don't have to go to school yet in other words the parent could keep her kid out for 3 weeks and the only call she would get is from the teacher to make sure she was okay not because she was in trouble
I was beginning to wonder when you or someone would catch that. Everyone is going off on the law and how kids have to be in school, YOu very plainly stated that you were talking about pre school age kids. Ah, I see now that you edited it. that explains everyones response.
mhsjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:29 PM   #23
LuLuO
I am against mandatory fun
 
LuLuO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MO
Posts: 2,537

If I kept them home for coughing or runny noses, they'd never be in school. Now, if they are really hacking and sneezing snot I keep them home. If they have a fever, I keep them home at least 24 hours after their fever breaks. If they are vomiting I keep them home at least 48 hours after the last episode. I work at the kids' school from time to time and I'm always wiping noses. I figure it's just one of those things.
__________________
"The stories my kids will tell one day depends on me. I am writing their book” - Kellee Hampton
"I work out because I know I would've been the first to die in the Hunger Games." - someecards.com
"Just because I can't do it today, doesn't mean I'm not going to be able to do it someday." - Arthur Boorman
"When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say, 'Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.' To this day, especially in times of disaster, I remember my mother’s words, and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers–so many caring people in this world." - Fred Rogers
LuLuO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:32 PM   #24
minkydog
DIS Cast Member
hey! I've got two college degrees and a steady job. if I wanna watch mindless TV, so what?
DIS Official Rum Taster
I used to be in the all-natural camp.
 
minkydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: North GA
Posts: 16,148

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenePA View Post
i'd LOVE to keep the kids home every time they get a sniffle but with 4 of them they wouldn't be in school much and I'd be in jail. I can't run them to the dr for every sniffle to get a dr's note because he wont see them for just a cold.. Throwing up? sure they stay home but just feeling icky sorry here's some advil, ya gotta go Last year my middle two caught swine flu (the rest of us managed not to get it? and we can not live virus vax in my house) My son was out of school for 10 days even with a dr's note I was worried I'd be hauled into court for that..
I'm not talking about kids with sniffles. Just about every kid in my school has a stuffy/runny nose, throat clearing cough, sinus headaches and after-lunch stomach aches. Let me make myself plain--they are NOT going to be sent home. Sure, the TEACHERS want me to send them home--one tried to get me to threaten a parent because the child had a cough and a temp of 99.5. I'm NOT going to strong-arm a parent over something piddly. But when the kid is vomiting, has a legitimate fever, or is wheezing like a freight train and I KNOW the parent knew about it, yeah, it makes me very mad.

And don't get me started on the excuses parents give me...
"I've got Bible Study this morning",
"I work night shift, can't you just let her lay down there?"
"I just had a baby, I don't want the baby to get sick"
"You'll have to call my husband--he thinks she's faking it(illness)"

Trust me, my job is to KEEP kids in school. When I call a parent to pick up, it's because i have used all my 35yrs experience of pediatric nursing to determine that it is no longer safe for him to be at school. Please, don't make me have to escalate this call...
__________________
Never underestimate the determination of the mother with a handicapped child
minkydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:35 PM   #25
LuLuO
I am against mandatory fun
 
LuLuO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MO
Posts: 2,537

Quote:
Originally Posted by minkydog View Post
I'm not talking about kids with sniffles. Just about every kid in my school has a stuffy/runny nose, throat clearing cough, sinus headaches and after-lunch stomach aches. Let me make myself plain--they are NOT going to be sent home. Sure, the TEACHERS want me to send them home--one tried to get me to threaten a parent because the child had a cough and a temp of 99.5. I'm NOT going to strong-arm a parent over something piddly. But when the kid is vomiting, has a legitimate fever, or is wheezing like a freight train and I KNOW the parent knew about it, yeah, it makes me very mad.

And don't get me started on the excuses parents give me...
"I've got Bible Study this morning",
"I work night shift, can't you just let her lay down there?"
"I just had a baby, I don't want the baby to get sick"
"You'll have to call my husband--he thinks she's faking it(illness)"

Trust me, my job is to KEEP kids in school. When I call a parent to pick up, it's because i have used all my 35yrs experience of pediatric nursing to determine that it is no longer safe for him to be at school. Please, don't make me have to escalate this call...
Well now, that is ridiculous.
__________________
"The stories my kids will tell one day depends on me. I am writing their book” - Kellee Hampton
"I work out because I know I would've been the first to die in the Hunger Games." - someecards.com
"Just because I can't do it today, doesn't mean I'm not going to be able to do it someday." - Arthur Boorman
"When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say, 'Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.' To this day, especially in times of disaster, I remember my mother’s words, and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers–so many caring people in this world." - Fred Rogers
LuLuO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:43 PM   #26
JoiseyMom
Have you had your SPANX today???
I mean, peep poop should be shiny and colored!!
 
JoiseyMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Joisey
Posts: 7,150

Sorry OP, vent away! I was a single mom for 10 years, a working mom and a SAHM. I have four kids. If they were really sick, even a really bad cold (without fever), they stayed home. I used my sick days for them. If they had a fever, they stayed home until fever free for 24 hours, if it was strep, they were on the anti-biotics for 24 hours too until they went back to school.

I wish adults at work would stay home when they are sick!!
__________________
1973 Dec - First trip, off site. 1978 June - Senior trip for High School; 1980 Summer - Quick off site w/ college friends; 1998 January - January First Onsite Family Trip CBR
2001/2 Dec/Jan - First family Poly trip; 2003/4 Dec/Jan - Extended Family Trip Rented 4 bed house
2004 August - My surprise trip (no kids)!!! Pop/Poly/GF/AKL; 2004 Nov - Jersey Week AKL & Timeshare
2005 August - Surprise Trip for kids!! CSR; 2006 August - Surprise Trip for kids at CSR again!! 2007 August - 3 nite Wonder & AKL FD 3peat!!
2007 December 8 - 7nite Eastern on the Magic! 2008 August 17 DCL Magic EB Panama Canal; March 2011 WDW trip with friends. 2012 Aug 25 DCL Bahamas Magic from NYC;2012 Sept 12 DCL Canadian Magic;2013 Aug AKL Kidani;2013 Aug DCL Fantasy

I am Poohtiful and Poohlicious!!!! Have you had your Spanx today???
JoiseyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:28 PM   #27
sunshine1178
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 511

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoiseyMom View Post
Sorry OP, vent away! I was a single mom for 10 years, a working mom and a SAHM. I have four kids. If they were really sick, even a really bad cold (without fever), they stayed home. I used my sick days for them. If they had a fever, they stayed home until fever free for 24 hours, if it was strep, they were on the anti-biotics for 24 hours too until they went back to school.

I wish adults at work would stay home when they are sick!!
You can't have it both ways. You say that you use your sick days for the kids, but you want adults to stay home when they are sick. So what do you do when you're sick?
sunshine1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:28 PM   #28
usnuzuloose

Loosing Doomed Boo Boo
 
usnuzuloose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Sacramento Ca
Posts: 118,557

Just curious, I haven't had kids in school for years. What happens if your child has something really bad that goes longer for ten days. Does the law not take things into consideration?
__________________
A Carnival cruise.....with a chicken. TR
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....54201&posted=1
usnuzuloose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:32 PM   #29
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran
 
tinkerbellandeeyor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 4,996

Quote:
Originally Posted by usnuzuloose View Post
Just curious, I haven't had kids in school for years. What happens if your child has something really bad that goes longer for ten days. Does the law not take things into consideration?
Were I live they talk about homebond or homeschooling depending on the performance and what is going on my my has a lot of friends in the system that is how I know and that is how I got interested in what I do
__________________
tinkerbellandeeyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:36 PM   #30
burnurcomputer
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: PA
Posts: 912

Well, if I were in that situation and I was paying to have my kids go to preschool, I sure wouldn't stop sending them because they have sniffle. A fever, vomiting or diarrhea are the only reasons I would keep a kid out. I have 4 kids also. Someone has something around here almost all the time, be it allergies and its side effects or a virus.
burnurcomputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:27 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.