Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2012, 12:01 PM   #1
ckay87
demented and sad...but social
This morning I had "you can't overlook your underwear" stuck in my head
Scared by a clapper in her teens

Dis seamstresses....I'm an idiot and I need help!

If you sew or are handy like that at all, I did a stupid thing and am also, I admit, very stupid about all things related to sewing. Need a little advice.

Ordered a t-shirt online for son. It's a special shirt for a big, one time concert event we attended in September. It's a gift and I paid more than I usually do for a t-shirt. Returned it one time already for wrong size and had to pay postage, so now it's cost me even more. Bottom line, I'm done paying for a dumb t-shirt!

Received it in mail in a strange, sealed cardboard envelope that I had to cut open. You guessed it, I cut the %$!# shirt. There is now a tiny hole, right on the front, on the logo. How would you fix something like that?
ckay87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:03 PM   #2
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Iron on patch on the underside of the shirt maybe? It's not something I would put a stitch in.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-08-2012, 12:28 PM   #3
Maleficent53
Have fun storming the castle...

Be VERY CAREFUL if you try to apply an iron-on patch to the design area. The high heat you need to apply a patch might damage the design, making the thing a bigger mess.

If the hole is small, I might recommend a product called FRAY CHECK. Buy it at a fabric store in the notions area. Apply it to the cut thread edges and they will not unravel. Hole will not get any larger.

Look on the bright side.....many kids purchase new clothing with holes in them so he might be very happy with the hole there!

1979-1983-1988-1989-1992-1993-1995-1996-1997-1998-1999-2000---and at least once every year since!
Maleficent53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:41 PM   #4
Earstou
The Tag Fairy sends you pixie dust to help you feel better, but we don't do AP rates!

You could mend it with a needle and thread.
You could apply a soft knit iron-on patch (my favorite method).
I sometimes use Fray Check and a soft knit iron-on patch.

Awhile ago I bought a large package of iron-on patches, and it includes knit patches of various colors. They are great for knits and I've used them on Tshirts. I was trying to find an example of the patches online and was not able to, so I hope they are still available.

Fray Check stops material from fraying (great for the ends of little girl's ribbons!). But it also can change the color and feel. The color change is similar to adding a drop of water to cloth, it looks slightly darker in that spot. So I'm careful where I use Fray Check. It also makes the fabric a little bit hard, it does become softer in the wash, but you can still feel the difference.

ETA: Maleficent53 is correct, some printing will melt, ruining the shirt even more, so be very careful about ironing a design.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: