Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2012, 07:57 PM   #1
twirler324
Mouseketeer

3D shows with 3.5 and 1.5 year olds?

Last we went in 2010 with our then 18 month old, we did not see any of the 3D shows. When is the earliest you took your children, and how did they do with it?
Wondering if we could try it this time around...
Thank you!
twirler324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:45 PM   #2
MSSANDRA
DIS Veteran

At that age, my boys would not wear the glasses. They had no problem sitting with us in the movies, but they were not overly impressed either. The movies are loud and have some startle effects. The bug movie at AK tends to scare a lot of little ones. Maybe try the Muppets and see how that one goes and go from there.
MSSANDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-18-2012, 08:53 PM   #3
mad madam mim78
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by twirler324 View Post
Last we went in 2010 with our then 18 month old, we did not see any of the 3D shows. When is the earliest you took your children, and how did they do with it?
Thank you!
Every kid is different. Mine had no desire to wear the glasses and some of the sounds scared them. My 9 year old still doesn't like 3d movies. Just don't expect much. They just don't get it.
mad madam mim78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:06 PM   #4
MinnieFan4ever

DIS Cast Member

We just returned 2 weeks ago with out 3.5 year old dd and she did NOT like the 3D movies. She sat there quietly with tears in her eyes. It wasn't until my husband noticed she wasn't looking thru her glasses that we realized she was scared. He then picked her up and left. We felt so bad because we took her to see Nemo in 3D in October and she liked it.
MinnieFan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:17 PM   #5
ktlm
DIS Veteran

My daughter loved Philharmagic at the MK at age 2 (close to 3). She also liked the Muppets. We did not do It's Tough to Be a Bug at AK, because parts can be a little scary for the little ones and she HATES spiders. She begged to do ITTBAB at age 4 so we let her and she walked out and said "I'm never going to that one again!"
ktlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:02 PM   #6
3pletprincesses
DIS Veteran

I read somewhere that children under 4 yo should not wear 3d glasses but I don't remember where I read it. that being said, my girls didn't like them until they were 4 yo and they are now 6 yo and still are not too impressed by It's tough to be a bug... 1 of the mis terrified to see it and yet she is a tough cookie.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:58 PM   #7
smileymomof3
Mouseketeer

My 4 year old son hated them on our trip last week. Tough to be a bug and philharmagic. We skipped the muppets after those 2. He didn't like the things popping out towards him.
smileymomof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:09 PM   #8
brymolmom
DIS Veteran

My dd hated them at 2. I would be sure to sit right near an exit. She would start getting upset and I would dart out quickly. You might want to be near an exit just in case.

Same with F! - Not sure if you're considering this one - but she hated that one too - was terrified. We didn't try that one again until the kids were 6 and7 years old.
brymolmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:32 AM   #9
mm1971
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by twirler324 View Post
Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad madam mim78 View Post
Every kid is different. Mine had no desire to wear the glasses and some of the sounds scared them. My 9 year old still doesn't like 3d movies. Just don't expect much. They just don't get it.
It depends on the child. My DS never had a problem with it and always enjoyed the 3D movies. My DD did not like them until a year or so ago. Even at Disney, she would not put the glasses on for Phillharmagic so I agree with above poster. She enjoys them now, but I agree that the loudness and visual graphics can be scary for young children. I would suggest maybe a movie they have already seen. Monsters, Inc. is coming out in 3d very soon I think. See how they do and introduce it slowly. If it is scary or they want to watch without the glasses let them. Good luck.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:40 AM   #10
mommy2jack
Mouseketeer

My DS (currently 4, was 3.5 at last WDW trip) and my DD (currently 20 months was 13 months at last WDW trip) have never had any problems with the 3d movies. Last time at WDW we saw Philharmagic and Muppets and neither child wore the glasses but both sat there and watched without any complaints. We've gone to other 3d movies before that, saw Kung Fu Panda, the Lion King and several others in the movie theaters. Sometimes my son wore the glasses other times he didn't be he never had any problems either way. I think it's up to the kid, if they're use to movie theaters and 3d movies then they'll probably be ok. But if they've never experienced that before they may not like it. We did not go to AK, but even if we had we would have skipped Bug's Life. My DH HATED that one the last time we went!
Me , DH , DS (6) , DD (3), (baby #3, arriving April '15)
mommy2jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:22 AM   #11
4HppyCamprs
DIS Veteran

My 3.5 year old does the shows at Disney with no problem. His glasses are off and on throughout the show.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
09 ASMu 1st Visit! Grandma came too! Free dining 2010 POR 2nd Visit! Grandma is along for the ride! Free dining! 03/05-09/2012 POLY here we come!! We love Disney and Grandma does too! No dining plan and we loved it! DoubleTree DTD: 3/10-3/15/13 The whole gang! Best Trip yet! First Cruise: 1/6-1/10/14 Disney Magic. 2nd Cruise: 10/23-10/28/15 Disney Magic.
Me: Heather DH: DS #1 (11/04) DS #2 (2/09) DD (08/11) rincess:
4HppyCamprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:24 PM   #12
ElenaRN
Mouseketeer

We went a few months ago to WDW and at the beg of Dec to DL. DD will turn 2 in a few weeks.

She kept the glasses on for the entire show of Philharmagic and TSM. She was a little scared in It's Tough to be a bug, so they were on and off.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:31 PM   #13
CanuckTraveller
Mouseketeer

I'll preface this with my opinion, which is children should not be exposed to 3D, unless it is real life.
That being said, DS1 (almost 8 yrs) has been to 2 3D movies and enjoyed them. He had no side effects (headache, altered perception etc), but DS2 (5 yrs) refused to wear the glasses, saying his head hurt. Before anyone asks, it was DH who brought them, saying I was full of it when I talked about side effects, but after DS2 insisted the movie hurt his head, he believes me
African safari, July, 2016

Past:
DCL Dream/ WDW, March, 2013
NCL Jewel, New Year's Eve, 2012
NCL Star, New Year's, 2012
NCL Sun, New Year's, 2011
Land trips to all Canadian provinces, most of the eastern US, Jamaica, Dominican Republic, Cuba, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Egypt, Columbia, Puerto Rico and a few others I can't remember as a child!
CanuckTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:38 PM   #14
GusGus77
DIS Veteran

DD (4 1/2) will just now leave on the 3-d glasses. That being said she HATES 3-D movies and all the ones we tried at WDW last year when she was 3 1/2 scared her (Although she will do TSM.) DS 2 will not leave on the glasses. Of course, all the glasses at WDW are WAY too big and he would have to hold them on for them to work. A good test is maybe ride TSM and see how they do with the glasses? If you plan on going back to WDW sometime (aka this is not a once in a lifetime trip) maybe skip the 3-D stuff this time around or put it in the "if we have done everything we want and have time left" category. If you do decide to do the 3-D movies I HIGHLY suggest to skip It's Tough To be a Bug which can be very scary. (And Muppets is scary if your child does not like loud explosions.)
GusGus77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:31 PM   #15
Sandi12404
Mouseketeer

When my dd was 2 1/2 we took her into Philharmagic. As soon as the show started she took off her glasses and climbed into my lap and put her head down on my shoulder. She didn't cry or anything so i just assumed it was a little too much for her. Now she's 8 and loved it last time we went.

me hubby dd15 dd9 ds 1
Sandi12404 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: